PDA

View Full Version : uv check problem

LL
01-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I am having major grief with importing an obj into zBrush. Although it apears that my UV's are totally fine (not overlapping) in Maya - when i import into Zbrush and use the tools\texture\uvCheck utility my model turns 95% red (which as i understand it means my uv's are overlapping) it also has a handful of polys that uv check has turned black (i have no idea what that means!!)

I am thinking these problems with my uv's are causing me alot of problems later on. I would greatly appreciate any help or adviceon how to combat this problem.

Thanks for your time.

Will.

westiemad
01-22-2006, 11:00 AM
If i make a quick zsphere model and do auv tiles on it it becomes red, and seems to have the UV correctly laid out, I can think of 2 issues that you might be having tho, 1 with UVs and the other with importing your maps back...

if you are re importing your model back into maya make sure you turn off Grp, and turn on Mrg in the export options, and when you take it back into maya, under obj import turn off create multiple object.

If the maps like displacement appear screwed in maya, and you have edited them in photoshop, make sure you turn off colour management in photoshop as it will change all the grey scale values.

LL
01-22-2006, 12:36 PM
cheers for the pointers. It turns out Check UV was showing everything red cause I had modeled half a head laid out the UV's and then mirrored the head and flipped the UV's so they could be stiched together with the other half. By laying out the uv's for the complete head Check UV works fine. So i am hoping i won't have any problems later on down the line.

However for future reference does anyone know a way of 'reseting' the Uv's so they forget that they have ever been flipped (if that makes sense?? :) ) so I am able to simply mirror uv's instead of having to work on 2 sides that are identical anyway.

Nice one.

Will.

ryankingslien
01-23-2006, 05:23 PM
william_jeffers -

The simplist solution that will allow you to use mirrored UVs is to move each UV shell into a separate UV region.

For example, let's assume you have the UVs already laid out and each UV shell is right on top of the other. First go to highend3d.com and download and install UVMaster. It is here (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/modeling/misc/1407.html). In Maya's UV editor, select one UV from one shell. Go to the Select Menu and Select Shell. Run UVMaster. In the Shift UV row, set the slider to 2048. Click the button that says Right. Then click Apply. Done. :)

Now you have mirrored UVs that ZBrush will handle perfectly and you didn't have to change your workflow.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2006, 05:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.