PDA

View Full Version : Final Render OSX status

SRCobb
01-22-2006, 03:26 AM
I know that Cebas keeps pretty tight lipped, and that's probably a good thing, but has anyone heard anything about the OSX status? Any beta testers out there? I'm getting really anxious.

Srek
01-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Since all Betatesters are under NDA they can't and won't tell.
Don't expect any information until cebas makes an official statement.

Cheers
Björn

jackb602
01-22-2006, 08:31 AM
I just posted a similar question on the finalRender Forum (http://www.cebas.com/forums/cebas/viewtopic.php?t=3339). No reply from Edwin yet. He has generally been pretty good about keeping users informed.

Jack

sunmade
02-02-2006, 10:05 AM
I thought FR2 was out for OS X!?

Isn't it? When I tried to order at Ceba's site, I choose OS X...I didn't send the order though...for now ;)

AND why is it over 800 euros ?????? It's only about 600$....

AdamT
02-02-2006, 02:15 PM
No reply from Edwin yet. He has generally been pretty good about keeping users informed.
At first.... Seems like Cebas has been silent for the last 3-4 weeks. Well, I'm sure they're doing their best.

dann_stubbs
02-02-2006, 08:09 PM
At first.... Seems like Cebas has been silent for the last 3-4 weeks. Well, I'm sure they're doing their best.

on a side note while waiting for the OSX version of FR2 - i saw this mentioned today on a news site. some references on using a USB ethernet adapter with OSX - so may be handy as USB hardware dongle for FR2 for those looking for such.

http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html

dann

sunmade
02-02-2006, 08:17 PM
OK, after re-revisiting ;) the cebas FR stage 2 page, I finaly discovered that the OS X version is in the works.

Just ignore my post...carry on, nothing to see here :banghead:

SRCobb
02-03-2006, 12:28 AM
man.. I sooo want to just create animations with GI and motion blur that won't take forever.
Ever spend months thinking "will today be the day"?

Ernest Burden
02-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Ever spend months thinking "will today be the day"?

On so many fronts.

jackb602
02-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Below is the e-mail exchange I had with Edwin yesterday and today. He gave me permission to post his comments to the board.

Subject: RE: fR Stage-2 for OS X
Date: February 3, 2006 2:51:06 AM CST
To: Jack Bransfield

Yes I'm sorry for being so quite. We are working hard on the core right now to get it over to the Apple world.

We can not tell any specific date yet as we are still fighting with the core changes. As soon as we have the Windows dependencies eliminated we'll let the world know when and how we will proceed.
edwin

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:27 PM
To: Edwin Braun
Subject: fR Stage-2 for OS X

Hello Edwin,

I placed my order for finalRender Stage 2 on OS X in late August.
Over at the cebas forums, we haven't heard any news on the progress
of the OS X release in a month. Regardless of how for along things
are, could you please give us all an update on your progress? Alot
of Mac users are anxious to hear something.

Regards,
Jack

dann_stubbs
02-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Below is the e-mail exchange I had with Edwin yesterday and today. He gave me permission to post his comments to the board.

well that does not sound so promising to me... i would have hoped they would just be testing now working on the core. this was promised 30 days after the PC verison which was 30 days late. not it is approaching 60 days after that.

it just stinks that mac users are always given second thought... while i can use it a little on my PC i'd really want to use and expore it on my main mac workstation... who would have believed that maxwell actually is running (and not too bad actually) on my mac before FR2... i would have bet against that one... i'm glad i did not need to make that bet.

dann

ChrisCousins
02-05-2006, 02:58 PM
... it just stinks that mac users are always given second thought...

The thing is, where Maxon and a few others are concerned, Mac users aren't given second priority; the fact that Mactel's are supported now by Maxon is really encouraging, and Mac users obviously reward companies that don't treat them like an inconvenience by showing loyalty to the app. This is part of the reason I've remained a Cinema4D user - and have also found that Modo is a great additional tool for the work I do - and one of the reasons I cancelled my FR order was when it became obvious that cebas didn't share this approach.

The usual conclusion with this sort of treatment is that the Mac users will dwindle as the upgrades, bug-fixes etc are released for Windows first, mixed networks will stop working as version parity is lost; and eventually the Mac version of FR gets dropped with the reason being 'lack of user interest' - surprise surprise. Hope this doesn't happen this time as the product still looks interesting!

Cheers - C

Ernest Burden
02-05-2006, 05:31 PM
How difficult a port is it? It's not like a re-write of the whole program, is it? And if it isn't all that difficult then you would think that there is still an economy to doing a Mac version, meaning you put in $X to create, you get back $X.5 in licence fees--a decent profit, making it worth doing.

And if Mactel allows more people to run PC software, even if its via dual-boot, then that encourages the buying of Mac hardware. And then, it becomes a dual of OSs to a much greater degree than we see now. Now its often 'but my computer is prettier than yours'. Or the GUI is prettier.

That's the long way for me to say that while I've always been a PC user, I really hope for the Mac version of FR2, and other programs, for the good of all of us.

AdamT
02-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Sound like all the hangups are related to network rendering. I'm not a programmer either, but it's surprising that it's taking this long to get that straightened out.

ernia
02-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Sound like all the hangups are related to network rendering.

I'll bet you that maybe half of the mac users won't even be using FR2 on a network. They will just render it on their one workstation--like me. If that's what the problem is, then release it. One computer rendering FR2 is better than none.

I'm finding it difficult to keep the software hounds at bay. Their scratching and clawing after my $600 stash, which I am keeping for FR2, is relentless and I am weakening.

Edwin, save me from the big bad wolves! ;)
ernia

ooo
02-16-2006, 07:01 PM
I'll bet you that maybe half of the mac users won't even be using FR2 on a network. They will just render it on their one workstation--like me. If that's what the problem is, then release it. One computer rendering FR2 is better than none.

I'm finding it difficult to keep the software hounds at bay. Their scratching and clawing after my $600 stash, which I am keeping for FR2, is relentless and I am weakening.

ernia

I'm still not sure if I will wait for FR2 for OSX until this long wait (I preordered). Edwin told me it's probably gonna last untill the end of march until launch.
Is it worth the wait or not? I have AR2 and do mostly landscapes and outdoor scenes (stills and animations of archaeological reconstructions of prehistoric sites). Will I really benefit from FR2 over AR2. I recently discovered the power of Hair for vegetation and am not sure if that is already supported in FR2. Anyone knows?

odo

ernia
02-16-2006, 09:53 PM
OT:sorry about this folks

ooo could you send me a message with your email addy? I would like to ask you a question.

thx,
ernia

ChrisCousins
02-21-2006, 02:11 PM
Just checking you'd all spotted this (http://www.cebas.com/forums/cebas/viewtopic.php?t=3754) - there's news from Edwin, and it ain't good...

C :hmm:

ernia

ernia
02-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Looks like I have to log in first. Any other way of getting the info, Chris?

thx,
ernia

ChrisCousins
02-21-2006, 02:21 PM
No problemo

Hello everyone,

thanks for your patience so far. I just want to give you an official statement about the MAC development.

Right mow we are deep into changing and getting rid of our windows dependencies to get the render core over to the Apple world.
It is a tough job for us as the rendering core is fully independent of CINEMA4D and so we have to discover all the funny new things that are available under OSX.

As it looks like now, we can not guess any specific date when it is finished. We will let you know end of March (06) how the status is and how far we are away from a release candidate.

edwin

ernia
02-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Mucho appreciado.

Well that's just dandy, isn't it! Sounds like they are having similar problems with Maxwell.
Must be something of a bugger, then. I wonder how much the switch to Macintel will change
things, ie. is it hardware or software based bugger?

All right then. Time will tell.
Edwin, if you need me I'll be engrossed in Dances with Wolves :(

Thanks Chris,

ernia

lllab
02-21-2006, 02:44 PM
this is a software problem. winxp is very different in many aspects than osx.

although osx might be a bit more advanced it maybe is also more complicated, and also many programmers are more used to winxp like enviroments.

one reason i did the switch to the "evil" some years ago.

cheers
stefan

ernia
02-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Well I've got an older pc here, but I don't have a pc version of Cinema4d. Plus I think it would be too slow even if FR2 was standalone. But that's the great thing about FR2 is that it is integrated so well, isn't it.

[Rant:
It's getting to be now that I can't tell the difference between politicians and software manufacturers. Promises, promises, promises. I know it's hard work, guys, and I am
greatful for what you are able to produce; but, isn't there a different way to market
this stuff than whetting appetites a year before release? Look at Zbrush. There was a
huge furor for the release of ZB2.5 at Siggraph last year . It's been 7 months
and not a peep. Look at xfusion or xstream for Vue5. Look at Terragen2. Look at Maxwell etc.etc. Isn't there a better way?

I know it is hard, difficult work folks, and God knows you are all closer to Geniushood than
I am; but, damnit, I just don't like being deceived.
Rant over]

Whew, that felt better.
Happy rendering,
ernia

ChrisCousins
02-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Well, here's (http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/forum.aspx?id=2&days=90) one better way, Modo201 is still a little late but their communication is impeccable.

...isn't there a better way?...

ooo
02-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I cancelled my preorder today. Maybe when everything works out good I will consider to buy it again (full price). But for now I'm tired of waiting and also disappointed in communication by Cebas. Thank god it wasn't a prepaid order like Maxwell...

odo

ernia
02-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Well, here's (http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/forum.aspx?id=2&days=90) one better way, Modo201 is still a little late but their communication is impeccable.

Quoted from Modo forums:
"Because our community has been so wonderful to us, we want to return the favor with some open communication about the progress of 201. Since I can not give a definitive date for the release (we don't want to play the ?give you a date and slip it? game), we are going to give you weekly updates about the progress of 201. This will be in the form of a quick note from me every Friday and either a demo video or a cool image from the testers. If you can't have your 201 yet, at least you should get to see it in action."

Indeed!

Modo for President! :buttrock:

ernia

nycL45
02-21-2006, 04:31 PM
For what it is worth, I posted the following as a reply to Edwin's *unlocked* announcement (today):

"We are really sorry to hear about 1) the continued delays with the fR2/Mac v. and 2) that there will be no more progress reports for at least five weeks. Although item #1 is very much like your early February email here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=311916&page=1&pp=15 and earlier comments, it is somewhat understandable but #2 is definitely not. We will probably be given the same story at the end of March. Cebas should be demonstrating that they are continuously working on the Mac version and making real progress by posting at least once a week."

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2006, 04:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.