PDA

View Full Version : Cartoony game animations

Winner
01-22-2006, 01:14 AM
I`ll be the first to say that this demo is by no means on a par with any of the great shorts that I often see posted up here... but its about time I put something online... so what the hell.

Most of the work is stuff I've done for games, but theres a bit of personal work on there too ( all the lipsync stuff ). It was all done in Maya, and all the rigging and animation setup was my responsibility too. All the game content is current-gen.

I know this is the token disclaimer with most work posted here... but some of this stuff is quite old ( I'm not at liberty to post any Ubisoft stuff at this point ) and trust me I can see all the pops and errors along the way. I suppose my reasoning for showing this online is to get a bit of constructive critisism...

http://www.fluentmotion.co.uk/demo1.jpg
http://www.fluentmotion.co.uk/demo3.jpg
http://www.fluentmotion.co.uk/demo2.jpg

primary mirror:

http://www.foofinu.com/CameronFielding_Demo05.zip ( right click - save as )

( thanks to my friend Ric Lico over at Monolith Productions, check his awesome site too www.foofinu.com (http://www.foofinu.com) )

you can also try here:

http://www.fluentmotion.co.uk/CameronFielding_Demo05.zip

(sorry to everyone who had trouble with the the previous upload )

well... looking forward to any crit or questions you might have !

cam.

ivanisavich
01-22-2006, 02:15 AM
Dude I'm not sure why you're excusing your work because that was a fantastic reel!

Even excluding your recent animations, you've got an amazing portfolio.

Keep up the phenominal work...5 stars from me, since this reel is destined for the frontpage!

....that being said....the lipsync on the blue head is a bit off in most of the shots he's in. I can't pinpoint whether he's just coming in late on the phenomes or whether he's just not pronouncing the words correctly but it looks awkward. Also, I'd start the reel with the bird lipsync (the one you've posted a screenshot of here), since in my opinion that's your strongest piece.

ragdoll
01-22-2006, 03:13 AM
ahhh... ain't nothin' like a fresh dose of animation to refresh an uninspired soul! :thumbsup:

agreed with the lip sync... feels too snappy... but still very well executed!

5 stars my goonie friend! :D

-rj

meisterschiller
01-22-2006, 01:10 PM
wow, this was very inspiring,
i loved the walkcycles on duffy and the lip sync (apart from the fact that itīs a bit off)..
i think itīs very significant reel that shows that you know what youīre doing..
keep up this exellent work and thx for sharing

tuna
01-22-2006, 03:58 PM
You've got some lovely toony animation in there, great work :)

Winner
01-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys. comments noted on the lipsync - these were my first attempts at this, and man is there a lot to learn! I remember concentrating on trying to get good solid mouth shapes that `look like the sound`..... I tried 2 different techniques when doing this:

The little boy with the long hair has lots of shapes that hold for 2 or 3 frames ( a kind of `wallace and gromit` way of doing it ) and I think this works well to emphasize certain sounds - but on the whole it looks a bit `stuttery` ... the blue guy is a kind of `smoothed` version of this, whereas the chicken is my latest attempt and I went for much smoother and less linear movements which seems to work best overall ( but he still holds shapes for a few frames, but all the holds move )

anyway thanks for clearing this up guys - i will spend extra effort next time getting the speech timing perfect.

venomgfx
01-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Amazing reel!

very inspiring! :D i hope you keep posting your work here, it's hilarious!!

Congrats men :thumbsup:
five stars for me
venomgfx

Ranimate
01-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Been trying to watch it all day, when I download the file it tells me its not a movie file? and when I open it in explorer it breaks... :(

Any mirrors?

Ranimate

HappyToast
01-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Excellent stuff, no complaints from me. congrats to you and your fellow artists :arteest:

Winner
01-22-2006, 09:09 PM
thanks everyone...

I'm not sure what the problem is Ranimate - Im pretty certain it might need quicktime 7 to play ?

mirkoj
01-22-2006, 09:18 PM
really great work. I love it, it just have something... especialy bird, all those nice details..
great stuff!

SergeAstahov
01-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Yup the bird was great and the duffy animation was superb, actually all the animation was great it's just duffy is funny :D. Great reel, nothing to add except what was already told about the timing for lipsync.

Winner
01-23-2006, 02:18 AM
lol everyones starting calling him `Duffy` .... its Daffy Duck ! come on people !! :p

yeah Daffy was fun ... it was important that all his movements were very broad and readable - and funny too - we had a target audience of 7-12 for that title.

markorapaic
01-23-2006, 04:13 AM
ello

I'm getting the same error as Ranimate. The file stops downloading at 10mb, sometimes more.
When i try opening it, i get the same error that its not a movie file etc. The pics look great, but i'd like to see them in action :D Maybe it could get mirrored?

Cheers

Edit: Originally tried to download in Firefox 1.5, tried again in IE, received a "server timed out" error @ 18.5 MB. :shrug:

Navi
01-23-2006, 04:18 AM
Actually I'm getting the same error as Ranimate and Ferocitas. My file stopped at 35 mb and seems to think that the file is done downloading. I'm using firefox 1.5.

Winner
01-23-2006, 01:26 PM
lol im not sure guys... its probably the host its online with - i just set it all up very quickly as i needed it for a recent job hunt... sorry if its being crap.

if anyone wants to mirror that would be fantatstic....

liquidik
01-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Used getright to download this reel.

I just want to add that it's AWESOME!

Fantastic job guys!

Gian

sogun
01-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Download problems

Navi, Ranimate Ferocitas: Try Internet Explorer version 6.0.2900 or around that. Open this thread in IE. Choose Save As. Begin downloading. When it is interrupted watch it, XP should give notice by blinking IE on the taskbar. Close the error-reporting window so that the open IE window with this thread remains. Choose again Save As. IE has a few seconds time-out for interrupted downloads so you can continue from the point on it was interrupted. If you choose to Save As quickly you can continue.. then with several interrupts again, to the end. Then IE finally saves it as complete and you can watch this awesome trailer. It's worth the effort!

Winner
01-23-2006, 05:23 PM
guys i have no idea why the download is crappy. i suggest you follow sogun#s advice if youre interested.

thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

anything i could change or make better ?

markorapaic
01-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Finally got it downloaded, seems getright does the trick, thanks liquidik.

Two words: great animation.

I think i've seen this reel of yours (or a prior version) a while back, some guest speaker from a 3d animation company displayed it here in Australia to a seminar (i think all that was shown were the daffy duck sequences) - its been stuck in my head since then!

No crits from me, solid reel. :thumbsup:

Winner
01-24-2006, 01:19 PM
hey guys ive been shouting down the telephone at my web host LOL - hopefully the situation should improve soon.

Ferocitas:
Thanks for the nice comments man. I'm very interested in what you said about seeing the Daffy stuff at a seminar in Australia ?? WTF ?? do you remember a specific animation ? are you sure they were my animations ? ( dont worry I'm not pissed about this - just interested ) ... what seminar was it ?

mgard
01-24-2006, 02:09 PM
may i ask a stupid question?

which posion are you in? lead animator? i guess you are more than senior animator...
thank you for your great animaion..

Winner
01-24-2006, 02:22 PM
At the moment I'm supervising animator for Elliot, working on the game of Open Season for sony pictures animation.
You find in this industry that "titles" mean very different things depending on where you work. Trying to understand it all is an art form in itself ;)

mgard
01-24-2006, 03:35 PM
thank you winner

i just wanted know that how long i have to animate to become that good animator..
i know it's depend on my effort.

btw, thanks alot winner..
you are the man in montreal...

mgard
01-24-2006, 03:37 PM
by the way, 5stars for you...

amannin
01-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Just wanted to say the download worked fine for me using Safari (Mac), though I doubt it is the browser causing problems, so maybe your HOST fixed the problem.

anyways, great reel... no further comments from what anyone else said.

:applause:

yuxuan3d
01-25-2006, 02:45 PM
So perfect man~!!!~I like it very much!!It's the best animaton reel I 've seen .....

Winner
01-25-2006, 02:51 PM
wow guys I`m blown away by the comments I`m getting here... thanks a lot everyone.

but please please mention it if you see anything that looks bad or could need polishing ( i know there lurking in there... I want to see if other people notice them too ;) )

the download seems to be working fine now by the way !!!

Ranimate
01-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but, Winner, my friend, it's still not downloading :sad:
I have been trying to get the reel ever since you posted.

Ranimate

Winner
01-25-2006, 03:36 PM
really ?

I've downloaded it myself from work - following my own link, it takes about 10 minutes or so ( when it should take 2 or 3 ) but it seemed to download ok. I'm gonna try it again now...
sorry about this Ranimate... all I can suggest is that you try what liquidik or sogun said.

edit:
yep just downloaded it fine! the download was floating around 100kbps.. but apart from that no problems at all.

Bartek|3D
01-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Son of a gun!

Alot of people think that game animators can't pull off what feature and tv animators can do. I've always been opposed to that kind of thinking, and I really hope this reel clears up that nonsense.

Fantastic work. The Warner Brothers stuff was so natural and your timing was spot on. I also feel like you took your poses far enough to be perfect, but not too far like some people do on cartoony stuff. You know animation is good when you get a smile on your face while rewinding a reel over and over.

5 Stars from me, and a shoutout to the beautiful city of MTL! (I'm from Ottawa originally, and my wife was raised there) ;)

Cheers,

Winner
01-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Bartek|3D thanks for the comments.
Its interesting what you say about game and tv/feature animators... its important not to forget the dramatic differences between these two different animation formats. I think its difficult to compare the two - but I understand why you feel that people might share that opinion.
I think many feature animators would feel very uncomfortable ( and challenged ) in the absurdly complex and restrictive world of game animation... its just an entirley different way of thinking about motion and its perception - despite the fact that its all built on the same framework.

;) yeah Montreal is cool. I`m actually from England, so the language gets a bit tricky sometimes....but hell man its a very interesting and unique city for sure.

Bartek|3D
01-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah I know what you mean. I've been playing video games all my life and I see the restrictions all the time. Personally, I would really like to experience doing some game animation in my career. You can't really compare the two until you actually get in there and do both.

How do you like working in games as an animator at UBI? (if you like, just email me: bartek.kujbida AT gmail.com)

Ranimate
01-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Winner, Winner, Winner.

Finaly it got through, I succeeded downloading the reel, been trying ever since day one and it finaly got through.... I got to tell you man, It was worth waiting and trying!

This is an incredible reel! I love it man, just love it! everything is so well animated and entertaining, I have been watching it looped for the past 20 minutes but then I wanted to sit down and write these lines...

The chicken lipsync is awesome, so well done, the acting, body gestures... ohhh... awesome.

I dont understand why you didnt get plugged man, this thread is sooooo Front page material.

Dude, keep on sending new stuff our way, please!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Ranimate

HenningK
01-30-2006, 02:56 AM
Just great! The chicken is especially impressive. And the goonies.
I dunno what everyone means about the lipsync... is it just offset a couple frames? Cause when I look I see some of the nicest looking facial animation Ive ever seen. Its a ton of fun to watch.
Im gonna catch hell for this, but some of the Warner stuff toward the end got tiresome for me. Maybe I just dont like seeing these characters in 3D without readable facial expressions. Daffy in the tube, daffy and the gator, the fez guy, the martian dog, wile E and the rocket, yosemite Sam. I would replace these as soon as that new stuff you mentioned is available.
love,hen

Winner
01-30-2006, 01:48 PM
hey Ranimate -

ah man at last you got it !! cheers for sticking around man ... next time I post I`m gonna get the webhost all sorted out. I`m working on personal stuff at home - so i should post pretty soon. glad you liked it.

HenningK -

thanks for the crit man. You know, its gotta be said I think you`re dead right - and I think youve raised a very interesting point .... I`m gonna reply here why I agree with you.....

firstly - when game animations are seen on a reel - they`re never in context. What I mean is - theres no background or sound any of the actual game in which that particular animation is normally seen by a viewer. And I think this is the killer. Normally - as in my own reel - the animations are merely shown in a blank background. On the whole this is bound to get repetitive. I think in the future I will have to think about showing animations in the actual game - with grabbed footage- but Ive gotta say it man this is easier said than done ( especially for someone who doesnt actually own any consoles ;) )

secondly game animation by its nature is optimized and stripped down to its bare essentials. I can tell you now that working on my own acting stuff at home is so enjoyable because I just never get the chance to animate so carefully and to work with that much control. This is why a lot of the animations of the warner stuff is especially broad and over the top - to compensate for the lack of subtle control - and i guess this in itself gets boring after a while. Also the way in which game animations work ( staying on the spot - cycling - returning to default pose ) I think overall when you see lots of them on a reel, the viewer starts to notice these whether they realise it or not - and that too gets boring.

I think game animators face a big challenge with this, and I think the game demo reel on the whole has become kind of `standardized` ( my own being a perfect example ) .... we need to think of more creative ways of displaying our work.

My plan is to reconstruct this reel with majority of my personal work - with much more precise and detailed acting animation ( and more importantly with a lot of variety of character and scenario ) - then to balance it off with some broader stuff and finally a section of game animation.... at least thats the plan ;)

anyways -- thanks for the crit man - I really appreciate comments like that.

mgard
01-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Winner, Winner, Winner.

I dont understand why you didnt get plugged man, this thread is sooooo Front page material.

Ranimate

that's what i ment...why not front page....

Heber
01-30-2006, 11:32 PM
fantastic!
i saw this at work today and somehow was led to your thread.
Good stuff man!

front page...

Doogfei
01-31-2006, 02:23 AM
Wow man, really great stuff. The chicken just looks sooooooo nice. Can't wait to see more stuff man.

D2s
01-31-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi, im new here, and i was reading all the post and all comments about the greatest work that you did it. and im a kind of new about 3d aniamtion, i really want to see it, but when i try to download your file .MOV, the download is cut, i tried, by two days, maybe if you upload in a server , o rmaybe if you can add to a RAR file,.

well i want to see your work by teh pictures i think is great but i need to inspire me, try to post a new link, please.

thanx
:thumbsup:

(my english isnt perfect im not from the usa)

you can get the quickTime here : http://www.fluentmotion.co.uk/CameronFielding_Demo05.mov
right click and `save target as` --- sorry for the filesize ( 76mb ) but my knowledge of compression is limited to say the least.

well... looking forward to any replies or questions you might have !
cam.[/QUOTE]

Winner
02-01-2006, 01:25 PM
hey dracula....

ok i will post up a zip tonight and replace the old mov. it seems people have been having trouble... i thought this might be fixed but i guess not.
its weird some people can download it - but others cant.

Capel
02-02-2006, 12:13 AM
hey there cameron. i checked out the reel and it's really great. the only crit i have is that there are too many floating head animations. it's a shame, cuz i'd LOVE to see the goonies dialogue piece with a full character. your facial animation is great, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't seem like a finished piece without the body.

but having said that, your stuff is top notch. i really like your acting choices. definately not cliche. anyway, congrats and i'm sure you won't find it too difficult to stay employed. :) later.

Winner
02-02-2006, 03:19 AM
see first post for updated links.

SheepFactory
02-02-2006, 05:26 AM
Hey Cameron ,

great reel man. I would like to plug it at the frontpage but it took me 50 minutes to DL your reel and i am on a fast connection so i dont think i will handle a front page plug.

is anyone willing to offer some fast mirrors?

Blusoul
02-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Hey Cameron, ExcellentA!

Great reel man I tried a few days ago to download with no success, but today was a Winner indeed! This reel shows that game animation is just as cool as film. A true joy to watch!!!:thumbsup:

sgbox
02-03-2006, 09:23 AM
thats good man. very amazing animations. cool...

createi
02-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Downloading error :(

ICEPRINCE
02-03-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm realy like it~:thumbsup:

madeofpoly
02-03-2006, 02:11 PM
tried downloading it but no success, it just stops after a while :(

MrPositive
02-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Yep same here....I tried getting it and waited and waited......finally began......went extremely slow and then slowly faded into obscurity. I wanna see it too! :)

vfx
02-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Think this needs hosting elsewhere - More links please. :(_

magicm
02-03-2006, 04:46 PM
The only crit I can give you is that you should really feel more confident about your work, cause this is simply great work! :)

- Martijn

loocas
02-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Oh the animations were so good! :buttrock:

I especially dug the Looney Toones stuff, incredible! :beer:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif from me! :applause:

boxcrash
02-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Hmm link is toast for me, now.

It downloaded but then when I unzipped or tried to it said it was corrupted, and I know the machine I am using has and cannot corrupt anything, its like fort knox, no admin account.
I unzip files all day on it too.

Winner
02-03-2006, 05:08 PM
guys thanks for the crits.

I dunno what to say about failed downloads.. I give up. But hey ! now its a lucky draw ! see if you can download it ! winners get a free .mov file !

( some people - including myself - seem to be able to grab it with no problems, the download can be a bit slow, but i guess it works for some and not for others... )

if anyone woke up today feeling super happy and wants to mirror me, please drop me a pm.

cam.

Milho
02-03-2006, 07:59 PM
I could download it easily today... and thank god, it was amazing! I had to watch it twice to be sure im not really wacthing looney toons.

Any chance we see some more personal animation projects in future, Im not that much into games these days.. just can't wait to see more of your work :thumbsup:

hopper2k
02-03-2006, 08:10 PM
amazing.

i had also had to rewatch it to make sure if what i was looking at was that good.

totally inspiring.

sonicstrawbery
02-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Fantastic work ! :bowdown:

rhino23
02-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Awesome work!! :applause:

Now just quit being so hard on yourself...

foofinu
02-04-2006, 02:35 AM
That's some outstanding work! One of the best I've ever seen in the games industry! And here's your mirror for those of you who've been having a problem downloading.

http://www.foofinu.com/CameronFielding_Demo05.zip

right click and save as.

ClausSimonsen
02-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Hi friend,

I really like it. especially "DAFFY" or "DUFFY" :)

I must say that Being an license cartoonist for "WARNER BROS" for 8 years.
(YOu got a thumbs up from me.)

Keep it up

CAS NYC

http://cas-3d-xserve.deviantart.com/gallery/

ClausSimonsen
02-04-2006, 02:39 AM
Hi friend,

I really like it. especially "DAFFY" or "DUFFY" :)

I must say that Being an license cartoonist for "WARNER BROS" for 8 years.
(YOu got a thumbs up from me.)

Keep it up

CAS NYC

http://cas-3d-xserve.deviantart.com/gallery/

umjetnik
02-04-2006, 05:59 AM
awesome work. I saw this a while ago when the company I was working for in Adelaide recieved your reel. One of the best animation reels I've seen ! :thumbsup:

Brettzies
02-04-2006, 06:23 AM
Really good stuff. Nice and fluid. My only crit would be that some of the cycle type animations got a little boring near the end. Maybe put one of the lipsyncs in there to mix it up a bit if you ever re-edit the reel. If you are interested in acting or film work at all, I'd also suggest one or two performance shots that include the body some how and not just the face. Looks like you have the ability to do them, but people would still want to see it. Solid stuff all around though.

Kenton Baines
02-04-2006, 10:34 AM

what did you use for the secondary motion of the hair on the kids head ? or did you do it all by hand ?

Winner
02-04-2006, 04:50 PM
thanks to everyone for watching and commenting.

Brettzies:
I agree man. Someone else said the same thing and I replied about this a few posts back -- i think youre dead right - and of course, that is the plan in the long run. Thanks for reasserting that point.

Kenton Baines:
hey man. I created a mel script to automate certain secondary animations on single chain joint hierarchies - the boys hair being the most obvious example. It uses the SCIKsolver to create a non dynamic follow-through animation that is layered over any existing animation already on the chain. It works great for tails and ears etc, but you can also get pretty good cloth effects and hair simulation. It was my little mel project for a few weeks and it came out really well in the end. it was a massive time saver on various game projects.

davidchiu
02-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Ohhh man ! congratulations really nice work....

one of the best !

CarlCampbell
02-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Wow! That was a great animation reel! Definately inspired me a great deal. Funny, its the first reel I've seen when the creator gives credit at the end. Always seen that in the rules of Demo Reel-making but never seen anyone do it.

Excellent job!

SkullboX
02-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Damn, that's an awesome reel.

polybuilder
02-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Great reel there, I like your work. Daffy is my favorite cartoon charactor and I ain't seen him around for awhile, so it was great to see him in your work. You did a great job, thanks for showing us.

Loolarge
02-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Oh my god, i love the cartoony stuff. Havent seen much other comparable quality stuff in 3D. Thumbs up man!

Spc
02-05-2006, 12:59 AM
What should i say?
I am speachless .. awesome work.
5 Stars.

:beer: :buttrock:

AVTPro
02-05-2006, 01:15 AM
ahhh... ain't nothin' like a fresh dose of animation to refresh an uninspired soul! :thumbsup:

agreed with the lip sync... feels too snappy... but still very well executed!

5 stars my goonie friend! :D

-rj

I can always tell when someone says, This is really not that good. It's a disclaimer that says youre about to get slaughtered. Thanks for the warning.
Some of the best stuff I ever seen. As quoted, thanks for the recharge. You put the fun right back into the game.

Just word of advice please. What do you do to make it so good...so fluid and weighted? Can you tell us without saying hours of practice? Is there a trick to it? The facial animation looks so real to me. I there some particular, reference item, about book or video?

Thanks, Just trying to learn to jump higher, now that the bar has been raised. It's a good thing.

MCage
02-05-2006, 01:39 AM
woow.:D, very good stuff :), i really like the second acting(with the chicken..::P)

Can you tell us something about your workflow? i don't really know what about game animation..can you do the stepped--linear--smooth , way too?Or you go more straight head than pose to pose??
Wath about the facial animations?( i like it a lot)??

:D

bye

RobertoOrtiz
02-05-2006, 02:53 AM
This is one hell of a great animation reel.

Great work!

-R

BillB
02-05-2006, 09:46 AM
That was a blast! Superb, and very inspiring. The kind of stuff I got into this business for - never let them drag you into management kids! Makes me wish I still had time to animate.

On the chicken, I'd make a bit more of the little finger/thumb rub he does when he sits back, it's a nice idea but it's thrown away too quickly.

Sherif.Nagib
02-05-2006, 10:24 AM
I've seen this reel a couple o days ago when it was plugged on 10secclub, lemme tell you I was in an awe man. I really like your work, I've repeated the chicken acting piece many times. there's a lot to learn there. I don't know if it was mentioned before but I just wanted to ask, did you start your animation career with game aniamtion ? and do guys still have lots of keyframe animation at ubisoft or is it scarce?
Finally I have no crits after what's been said. just wanted to pay the RESPECT you deserve.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif from me :thumbsup:

Norl
02-05-2006, 11:42 AM
That's AWESOME, man!!! Definitely a great reference for my animations. Thumbs up!

BigSky
02-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Singularly the best game animation reel i've seen.

MrPositive
02-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Pretty freakin phenomenal. Are you planning to stay in games? The only critique I would garner is when daffy is wrestling, I thought he got slightly stiff, but this is like critiquing Da Vinci himself so I'll just put a sock in it.

Chris Bacon
02-05-2006, 06:38 PM
YES....LOVE the cartoony style....BIG BIG fan of those cartoons...."ITS TIME FOR ANIMANIACS"

Winner
02-05-2006, 07:24 PM
hey

AVTPro:
hi man - well thats a hard question to answer in brief - I'm not sure i get it myself 100% to be honest... I try to use lots of anticipation and strong contact poses to give a feeling of weight, and i guess any pose or movement that has anything to do with weight at all - I just push it as far as it will go without looking stupid. I try to show weight too by overlapping the head and the arms also, to show the `drag` from the movement of the body - I find that helps. I like to use moving holds whenever i can to keep things fluid, and make sure i move pretty much every bone when I`m posing stuff - smooth arcs are the most important here too i guess. I`m still new to facial animation - so at the moment i'm trying to just push poses as far as i can, get some variety in the face but also get some anticipation and overlap in the movements too, and keep things moving as much as I can, and keep the eyes focused, not forgetting to try and show the emotion im going for.

MCage:
from my experience you can animate pretty much how you want in games - ( i mean the process of animating ) - it seems the approval process is less rigid than for feature animation so you dont have to show blocked animations as much for example. I tend to animate pretty much straight ahead, but im realising that proper blocking and planning is the way to go -- this is a lot of the reason for doing my own stuff at home, so i can learn this technique, and to be honest im finding it pretty hard. I love the spontaneity that comes from straight ahead.

BillB:
well noticed man... i like that little motion too, maybe I could have used it for a bit longer....

Sherif.Nagib:
I did graphic design at uni - but i specialized in animation and made a short film for a large part of my degree, but other than that its been games all the way. I think games are a real challenge for animators, so youre always on your toes - but yeah i want to do films in the long run. Ubisoft uses a lot of keyframe and a lot of mo-cap... it depends what project you work on.

Mr. Positive:
I loved the wrestling animation when i first did it - but that was quite a while ago now - and I agree some parts look stiff and a bit off balance, especially the bit where daffy pulls him back by his head... well spotted... thanks man... i`ll chop that sequene down a lot when i next make a reel...

thanks to all who commented !

Wiro
02-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Wow, I thought I recognized the characters in the thumbnails before I saw your name. Great to see your stuff plugged, Cameron. I told you YEARS ago to post it all here :P
Gonna pass this around the office ;)

Wiro

Winner
02-06-2006, 12:53 AM
Wiro !

haha how you doing ?

glad you liked the reel man... I wanna see some of your recent work up on your site !!, I check back there every now and again, but I guess maybe you too busy tanning yourself down on Bondi beach :P

jussing
02-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Five stars from me, that was just awesome! :)

So many games lack quality in-game animation, they should see your reel. :)

Cheers,
- Jonas

dcmoutinho
02-06-2006, 04:23 PM
very, very nice work !!!
congratulations, five stars !!!

SpaceTik
02-07-2006, 04:18 AM
*edited*

I messed up somehow?? don't know how I ended up here..

anyway great reel, I always wanted to see the old warner Bros cartoons in 3d!! and you have done it justice which is the highest praise I can think of..

well done!

NanoGator
02-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Man, you really nailed the Warner Bros. stuff. I'm VERY impressed. :thumbsup:

Dennik
02-08-2006, 09:46 PM
One of the best reels i've seen in years. Its a shame you work in a game company (unless you are working at the game cinematics department) you would fit better in film production.

Your attention to detail and secondary motion is amazing. :)

I wouldn't include though so many clips on my reel if i was you. It can be shorter than that and still look great.

Good luck and have fun in whatever you are doing!

wtoddk
02-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Absolutely amazing reel. I was in awe from start to finish. You're a truly talented animator!! One question: what exactly is "a moving hold"?

Great work!

Winner
02-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi all -

Dennik:
yes youre right. A few people mentioned that the reel could be a few sequences shorter.

skyboysky:
A moving hold is when the character is basically still - but keeps moving slightly past the action that they just did. It stops things looking totally static, and it contrasts against broad movements too, and keeps everything looking fluid.

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2006, 03:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.