PDA

View Full Version : Crysis - New game by CryTek

daart
01-22-2006, 12:39 AM
Have a look at the astonishing official tech demo of the CryEngine, which will provide a great gaming atmosphere for Crysis, Cryteks next game due to arrive
december 06 :bowdown:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_12286.shtml

JMcWilliams
01-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Dead link :(

daart
01-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Sorry, should work now!

Edit:

Another DLL:

http://web1.alster050.server4you.de/crysis/crytek_techdemo/crytektechdemo.wmv

SheepFactory
01-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Link works fine. Downloading now.

JMcWilliams
01-22-2006, 12:50 AM
Cheers! :D

Joss
01-22-2006, 04:55 AM
Holy ---!

And if this new game has flyable vehicles, you will never see me play Battlefield 2 again! That's a promise!

Wonder what kind of machine specs they're gonna require(?)

The CryEngine just kicks major ass!

P_T
01-22-2006, 04:58 AM
DAMN! that looks friggin gorgeous!

Leaves move as you walk past it (beware BF2 snipers!), SSS on the palm tree, realtime soft shadow, volumetric cloud, destructible environment, realistic skin shader. This looks even better than Unreal 3 engine I reckon.

That should add an extra couple years to develop AAA games.:D

PyRoT
01-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Pretty good yes. However, I am dissapointed that yet again there is no truly destructible environment. Red Faction implemented taht which I speak of quite well I think. I think that its a very important part of realism to be able to destroy the ground.

The problem we are seeing is amazingly detailed words with what lots of metaphorical "Do Not Touch" signs. The rag doll physics and barrels, tires balls etc rolling around is old stuff.. We need these objects as well as the ground to be able to bend, break and fall apart. An environemnt which is interactive and responds to my actions adds more realism to me than the every greater visuals.

Tomek

CGmonkey
01-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Yeah cool.. now make a GOOD game.

arvid
01-22-2006, 10:42 PM
That was pretty nice actually! But the name Crysis seems really forced :D

PhilOsirus
01-22-2006, 11:37 PM
It looks great, certainly better than anything shown from Unreal 3. The fire looks like crap tho (I guess RE4 raised the bar on that one). And other than the high resolution textures used I don't think it's anything mind blowing, it just looks nice. Remains to be seen how much this engine can be used to make something else than another Farcry game.

ambient-whisper
01-22-2006, 11:39 PM
not bad. but im thinking that it would be nice to see more hdri stuff in there, as well as more atmospherics. ( the soft particles are pretty bad i think ). but the plant dynamics, and the ability to render volumetric light through texture opacity channels kicks ass.

as for unreal 3. i think the power in that engine is not neccesserely how good the engine is, but rather how EASY it is to mod for it, and how much documentation there is for it.

considering that its the art/sound and gameplay that defines a game, game engine abilities are just icing on the cake to take your art further.

but yes. lets see some decent games, and not just fps games. im really growing tired of those.

P_T
01-23-2006, 12:25 AM
Ooh, to BF2 players in this forum... Can you imagine playing Wake Island 2007 map using this engine? :drool:

arquebus
01-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Ooh, to BF2 players in this forum... Can you imagine playing Wake Island 2007 map using this engine? :drool:
BF2 definately needs some kind of engine upgrade (I consider BF2 to be a step backward from Desert Combat BTW). Im really tired of only having about 10 vehicles and 3 aircraft for each side, BF2 should get some kind of MMOG engine.

Lambchopo
01-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Nice. Good luck on the game!

faultline
01-23-2006, 05:15 AM
That should add an extra couple years to develop AAA games.:D
Sadly, you're right - and the dev costs will continue to grow, leading to less chance of publishers taking a risk and innovating... But thats not a new trend I suppose... :sad:

Pessamisim aside, the engine and artwork does look stunning. Look forward to seeing more on it! :thumbsup:

Goon
01-23-2006, 05:53 AM
The problem we are seeing is amazingly detailed words with what lots of metaphorical "Do Not Touch" signs.

Yes! Invisible walls, linear gameplay with obviously channeled levels, shifting/sliding feet, being able to crest individual polygons while crawling prone over a level, all of these things take me out of the gameplay far more than any graphical advance can ever make up for. If anything crazy graphics power is only further underlining just how much catching up other aspects have to do in order to maintain an acceptable illusion of realism

PyRoT
01-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Yes! Invisible walls, linear gameplay with obviously channeled levels, shifting/sliding feet, being able to crest individual polygons while crawling prone over a level, all of these things take me out of the gameplay far more than any graphical advance can ever make up for. If anything crazy graphics power is only further underlining just how much catching up other aspects have to do in order to maintain an acceptable illusion of realism

Yeah, HL2 was to me a good example of obviously channeled levels. I think theres too much obvious stuff like conveniently placed explosive barrels and ramps which the enemies would really have to be stupid to place there if they are trying to stop you. Stalker was supposed to be a more free range game but alas, it is delayed. I thought Deus Ex 1 was pretty nicely done as you could pass the levels using a large variety of tactics or paths. The graphics were alright, the animation wasn't but I sure got very very immersed in that game. It was really good in blending rpg and fps.

I think invisible walls are quite silly though. I prefer having unscalable cliffs.

tibes
01-23-2006, 10:26 AM
That said, CryTek has a pretty good track record with Far Cry, which wasn't linear like HL2 or Doom 3.

vfx
01-23-2006, 01:45 PM
links are bust?!

P_T
01-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Alternate link (http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=9020&type=mov)

JeroenDStout
01-23-2006, 05:13 PM
I think I saw this quite some time ago.. at least the leaves bit.

To be fair, this is all just ornamentory in games; it looks nice but it really seems like a thin patch of gold. The plants move, but they didn't show what happens if an enemy secretly walks through a patch of plants, revealing himself. A full day/night cycle, aye, that's nice but nothing special. Soft particles looked as .. well, particle-ish as ever and the whole rampage-into-house bit... yeah. Seen that before. Though the shine-through-leaves was pretty neat, really, an ornament, but a neat ornament.

Quite basically it gives me the thought that with all the computer power 'lost' to realistic graphics the amount of other things you do with that power is awesome. But do enjoy the island, the flyby was nice. :scream:

Ah well :)

PyRoT
01-24-2006, 05:07 AM
Quite basically it gives me the thought that with all the computer power 'lost' to realistic graphics the amount of other things you do with that power is awesome.

Like AI and physics I guess

opus13
01-24-2006, 05:14 AM
That said, CryTek has a pretty good track record with Far Cry, which wasn't linear like HL2 or Doom 3.

:curious:? huh?

are we talking of the same farcry where you are required to move from one task to another, in order, with landscapes and levels sculpted to only allow you to advance along a predetermined path?

farcry is a way-fun game, but it is perfectly linear.

-Vormav-
01-24-2006, 05:22 AM
:curious:? huh?

are we talking of the same farcry where you are required to move from one task to another, in order, with landscapes and levels sculpted to only allow you to advance along a predetermined path?

farcry is a way-fun game, but it is perfectly linear.
It wasn't really all that linear. Many of the levels had multiple paths that you could take to get to the end point; the levels were huge, and as such afforded the player many different strategies. And while it's true that that end point is always the same, this is still quite nonlinear, when stacked up to something like Doom 3.
Personally, I found the landscapes of Far Cry to be the most non-restrictive that I've ever encountered in a FPS. :shrug: If you were to place it next to games like Morrowind, though...

PhilOsirus
01-24-2006, 05:42 AM
Meh, the better the graphics are the more limits devs will impose on themselves to avoid obvious visual clashes, a lot of time will be wasted to get they milk shader just right, but in the end it brings 0 dollar in profit. Graphics are like weapons, you have to make better ones cause someone else has made better ones. Graphics need to be put to original use, like in Shadow of the Colossus.

P_T
01-24-2006, 10:12 AM
If I remember correctly, the engine also support some terrain deformation when you use explosive like grenade, although not to the extent of Red Faction's geo-something engine.

PyRoT
01-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Meh, the better the graphics are the more limits devs will impose on themselves to avoid obvious visual clashes, a lot of time will be wasted to get they milk shader just right, but in the end it brings 0 dollar in profit. Graphics are like weapons, you have to make better ones cause someone else has made better ones. Graphics need to be put to original use, like in Shadow of the Colossus.

That's a very good point. You can't screenshot advanced AI, interacticity or physics as well as you can advanced graphics. So in the end, perhaps its not only companies being too scared to take risks which limits gameplay evolution and story expnsion as well as those thigns I mentioned above but the polygon and shader race.

On the brightside, a point will eventually have to be reached where further polygon and shader advancements will mean little and the only thing taht will make games different is gameplay. The downside of this could be taht it will put game development out of reach for many amature devs but then again, 3d software is becoming better all the time.

I was thinking that maybe it would be good if some company made an AI engine which game / game engine devs could plug into their games.

P_T
01-24-2006, 12:05 PM
I was thinking that maybe it would be good if some company made an AI engine which game / game engine devs could plug into their games.

AI.implant is used for games like PSI-Ops by Midway, Major League Baseball 2006 by SCEA etc. but that AI software cost around $10,000... prolly a bit too expensive for smaller game developers.

kiaran
01-24-2006, 07:21 PM
I say a grainy cam version of this a while back. It's so nice to finally see it in HD.

I must say, this looks like a significant improvement over the Crytek engine, which was certainly no slouch either. I'll be first in line, cash in hand, to reprise the role of Jack Carver.

Bring it on!

JeroenDStout
01-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Like AI and physics I guess
Yes.. we haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to AI. Imagine actually being beaten by a cunning tactic made up on the spot rather as ye olde power-of-force.

JMcWilliams
01-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Yes.. we haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to AI. Imagine actually being beaten by a cunning tactic made up on the spot rather as ye olde power-of-force.

Have you ever played operation flashpoint? Although the AI was ropey in places, the overall command and tactics they used where quite cool. I was quite suprised, when I attacked a village with my squad and battalion of tanks, that a few enemy tanks disengaged from the battle and spent a good 10 minutes driving around the woodland to the left of me, and flanked me from the rear. I thought... "oooh, you sneaky buggers!"

-Vormav-
01-24-2006, 09:26 PM
I'd actually like to start seeing advanced AI used for more than just making enemies more 'cunning.' Take all of those various AI projects online that work through chat rooms: The 'bot' is given a set of base responses/behaviors, but from there it continually builds up a database of additional responses as it communicates through others in a chat room, or just by observing how other people respond to each other.
The real trick would be controlling the growth of one of these bots, such that they'd have a clearly defined personality.
This would be perfect for games like Morrowind: Instead of cycling through the 10 standard responses when interacting with the AI, you might actually need to 'communicate' with them, which could add quite the sense of realism.

Presents its own share of problems, for sure. I just think that AI needs to start encompassing more than an enemy just knowing to dive for cover in a gun fight.

PyRoT
01-25-2006, 01:59 AM
Not sure if this is a good example but will always remmeber the first time that AI killed me and that was in half life 1. I remember runig out from behin a crate and shooting some soldier (1 soldier) and He got me pretty bad..so I went to hide behind the crate.. and.. he threw a grenade which finished me off. So yeah AI rules.

P_T
01-25-2006, 02:34 AM
Problem is, if the AI's too advance, it'll lead to frustration instead of enjoyment of the game.

In case of vormav's example of using advance AI in RPG like morrowind, it'll lead to too much random conversation. You'll spending a lot more time trying to find the keyword that'll trigger the correct response from the AI which will give you the information you need than leveling up. The information itself will have to be scripted, go to X crypt in Y area to get item Z.

-Vormav-
01-25-2006, 02:40 AM
Yeah. That was one of worst parts of some of the earlier Sierra games (King's Quest 1-4, Space Quest 1-3, etc.). The AI would have to be pretty flexible in its interpretations (and you'd probably need a lot of 'obvious' hints to be given to the player from time to time).
But still, if done just right...
I don't think existing technology with AI could handle it successfully, but it's still something I'd like to see in the future.

Gunnah
01-25-2006, 03:40 AM
I *still* play flashpoint... yeah, graphics are kind of dated, but the AI and the vehicles (read: helis, tanks, npcs, etc) are totally worth it..single player mode games were *never* the same twice.. heck, yeah, they're come from *roughly* the same direction, but after the shooting started, different results every time :)

heli's kicked the most but tho.. far more realistic than bf2, imo.

G

(waiting for flashpoint 2 or the one the BIS guys are working on atm)

Have you ever played operation flashpoint? Although the AI was ropey in places, the overall command and tactics they used where quite cool. I was quite suprised, when I attacked a village with my squad and battalion of tanks, that a few enemy tanks disengaged from the battle and spent a good 10 minutes driving around the woodland to the left of me, and flanked me from the rear. I thought... "oooh, you sneaky buggers!"

JMcWilliams
01-25-2006, 11:33 AM
The thing is, a lot of people think that good AI = can kill the player easily. But that is not really true. They could have made the aliens in space invaders able to shoot you in one shot.
What I want to see in AI, is believable fallibility. AI that trips up and makes mistakes in cool way, as opposed to getting stuck in geometry and jumping on the spot randomly for half an hour. :D

P_T
01-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Not to mention the path finding... I seen some real dodgy path finding AI even in a triple A RTS title. It's like, screw goin straight, ima go around half the map while the other squad's gettin slaughtered.

Speakin of AI, you guys played FEAR? I heard the AI is damn good altho it coulda been just a hyped up marketing thing...

Para
01-25-2006, 12:44 PM
It wasn't really all that linear. Many of the levels had multiple paths that you could take to get to the end point; the levels were huge, and as such afforded the player many different strategies. And while it's true that that end point is always the same, this is still quite nonlinear, when stacked up to something like Doom 3.
Personally, I found the landscapes of Far Cry to be the most non-restrictive that I've ever encountered in a FPS. :shrug: If you were to place it next to games like Morrowind, though...

Multiple paths...well, there's always one "here's a jungle forest path" and one or two bush-covered lines about ~15m from the road in a "here's a covered sneaking path"-manner.

What I gathered from the demo of FarCry is that it greatly faked the multiple paths/single path problem. If the path is made wide enough, it doesn't look as guided as it would if the path you must walk is only a few meters wide. Unfortunately if the gamer tries to break this, some countermeasures are usually deployed to make sure it won't happen. Three examples will follow, all from demo of FarCry where you are supposed to walk thru a small part of jungle/beach/lagoon of some sort to a cave:
1) Two routes to the cave, either through jungle (takes time, sneaking required etc.) or swim to the lagoon-ish part and go berserk. Okay, there's obviously a lot of ocean so I try to swim very, very far away from the lagoon which is filled with enemies. I'd say I'm about 500 meters away from them and all the sudden they start to shoot me. I die.

2) New try, I swim as far as I can from the lagoon and then come back from a vis-blocked area. At about 1.5km two rubber boats with mg:s spawn literally in front of me and shoot my virtual self full of holes.

3) I get angry a bit and decide to swim directly to the opposite direction from where I'm supposed to go. Suprise suprise, the island turns into lowpoly mesh with just a few trees right after I go "around the corner". I'm not given a lot of time to look at this since for some reason there's a helicopter which, once again, shoots me full of holes.

As for CrySis and the upgraded game engine, I'm not that impressed. Sure it looks good and has some neat tricks but I don't think it looks amazingly good.

JMcWilliams
01-25-2006, 12:57 PM
(waiting for flashpoint 2 or the one the BIS guys are working on atm)

Indeed. Flashpoint 2 is underway here where I work (codemasters) and of course, BIS are working on that armed assault too. :D

red_oddity
01-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Not to mention the path finding... I seen some real dodgy path finding AI even in a triple A RTS title. It's like, screw goin straight, ima go around half the map while the other squad's gettin slaughtered.

Speakin of AI, you guys played FEAR? I heard the AI is damn good altho it coulda been just a hyped up marketing thing...

FEAR has AI being taken in the right direction...
I, like many among you, have played enough games to know how to 'cheat' by confusing the AI, but FEAR had me surprised everytime.
Throwing a grenade or making some noise and stepping around a corner with a fresh clip in your MP5 waiting for the AI to just stumble right in your gun barrel didn't quite work there.

I remember trying to do this trick, but instead of the AI stumbling around the corner i got a real nasty surprise, while waiting around the corner i heard glas breaking behind me and got nailed in the back, the AI actually had circled around me and jumped right through the glas windows of a computer booth.

And the game kept surprising me by more really cool AI behavior, the AI actually trowing benches and closets in the hall ways for firefight covers (doing a guick load often gives different results, as in, it wasn't obviously scripted)

But, the fact that the AI works that well probably had something to do with the close spaces (i wonder what the AI from FEAR would do in such large levels as found in Far Cry, still, i didn't think the AI from Far Cry was THAT bad)

P_T
01-25-2006, 02:51 PM
FEAR sounds good, I might check it out later.

As for FARCRY, you can't compare it to Deus Ex, DE was a 1st person RPG not shooter, of course it wasn't linear.

If you compare Far Cry with any other FPS games (Quake4, Doom3, HL2, etc), you'll appreciate the immensity of the outdoor level and greater degree of freedom like approaching the mercenary camp from the sea side through the dock or from the jungle side. The AI wasn't that bad either although sometime they can still be pretty stupid and frustratingly accurate.

When Far Cry came out, it was one of its kind single player FPS.

rakmaya
01-26-2006, 03:46 AM
The problem with next generation engines such as Cry Engine, Unreal is that most developers who license them stick with the original genre that the engine came in . People are too afraid to try something else on a different league. I am not saying noone tried. But only few and a lot of them fall short in other areas of gameplay.

These engines are probably the one of first class engines that we will see. Un fortunately, their power is diminished by the stupidity/laziness of the licensees. The only way to cure this is bring out games in other genre such as Action/Adventure from Epic and CryTek to show people what it can really do.

For Epic and CryTek, the Shooting game with realistic graphics is a way of showing future licensees what their engine can do. Intern, it ends up creating a similar game.

Despite what how powerful Epic and Id performed in the current gen we see a lot better games from other developers who use generic or propriotory engines.

People are wasting good time and effort in not making games even when such powerful tools are at their disposal. They remake the same thing over and over again. That is the main problem I see here. The more the power in graphics, the better it is; only, if used in correct places.

opus13
01-26-2006, 04:43 AM
I'd actually like to start seeing advanced AI used for more than just making enemies more 'cunning.' Take all of those various AI projects online that work through chat rooms: The 'bot' is given a set of base responses/behaviors, but from there it continually builds up a database of additional responses as it communicates through others in a chat room, or just by observing how other people respond to each other.

a bot that says "omg joo suxor"?

Tonedef
01-26-2006, 06:00 AM
Indeed. Flashpoint 2 is underway here where I work (codemasters) and of course, BIS are working on that armed assault too. :D

Armed Assault looks AWESOME! I am stoked about that one.

As for game visuals rising and other sections lagging...I think it is just a matter of breakthroughs. The people programing physics that interact with leaves, and SSS on leaves are not the same people who are making AI or writing a game. It is more like...what they do in the mean time. And you cannot deny that graphics sell games. I think I will have to say that we haven't seen enough of the new Crytek engine to say its limits or downfalls...for all we know the deformable terrain and destructible everything COULD actually be better than Red Faction. As for the UE3, after seeing that ingame footage of Gears of War...I am sold on that engine, the AI did not seem dumb and the gameplay looked VERY engaging.

Now about the linearity of games...I think all games are supposed to have some sort of lineage. No one wants to be randomly running around a level like a chicken with its head cut off. That just creates frustration. Also I think it comes down to the type of game it is. HL2 had a great flow to it...I really didn't feel like I was on rails when playing it. I mean yeah looking back I can see that it wasn't the most dynamic...but it is a story. I mean those are linear...unless you are reading some of those later Goosebumps, the "turn to page ## if you would *blah* or page ## if you..." And that is just overboard.

Now AI I think is something that people don't really realize it is getting better or they just include/exclude things that are not/are actually AI. I mean someone made a reference of Space Invaders and how they could have made the enemy kill you in one shot...that isn't AI...that is an unbalanced game. But remember back to Goldeneye, when enemies would just fire in your direction. They didn't care if their buddy was in the way...of course his buddy would be unharmed or when the enemy would roll around in an empty lit room as though they where reenacting a scene from Ace Ventura...then there was Perfect Dark, that was not so much the case very little friendly fire and when an enemy rolled they would actually get out of the way...and call for help. AI is always getting better...but it is going to take time, we expect them to act as though they are human, nothing would (or should?) ever be able to do that but humans themselves.

P_T
01-26-2006, 07:33 AM
I don't think game engine has anything to do with gameplay, that depends more on how the developer utilise the engine for the type of gameplay they want to make.

As for linearity, as long as we're following a story, it'll always be linear to some degree. What people want is the variety of path they can take in achieving a certain objective, like "take path A and use Anti Tank missile turret to kill the tank or path B and stick an explosive on the tank", y'know... just to add some replayability value to the game.

bots in the old CS 1.x used to say that kinda l33t stuff. :D

desmondying
01-26-2006, 08:37 AM
bots in the old CS 1.x used to say that kinda l33t stuff. :D

i remember those- super lame. Those cs bots are hard coded to speak that way and they always repeat the same words. you could edit a text file to change the words they speak though.

So far, Call of Duty2 and FEAR has one of the more intelligent battle chatters.

pixelmonk
01-26-2006, 06:19 PM
BF2 definately needs some kind of engine upgrade (I consider BF2 to be a step backward from Desert Combat BTW). Im really tired of only having about 10 vehicles and 3 aircraft for each side, BF2 should get some kind of MMOG engine.

too many idiot pilots in the game as it is. Everyone feels they need to jump in a jet and fly around for the whole game doing nothing. The game would be boring as hell if everyone were in a jet or in a tank. There's more reality in the way it's implemented now.

daart
01-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Here (http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen.asp?id=10202)
you can find some screenshots of the game ;)

Solothores
01-29-2006, 02:29 PM
love those:

http://games.tiscali.cz//images/crysis/imga.jpg
http://games.tiscali.cz//images/crysis/imge.jpg

Looking really forward to it, any informations about gameplay and AI available?

daart
01-29-2006, 05:11 PM
- The story will take place on a island again
- Your name is Jack Dunn, member of a special operation team
- Your mission will be to fight against aliens, who try to freece the
island and the sea in order to life there
- There will be no boss enemies, but some of the aliens are so huge,
that you will have to climb up in order to kill them
- There will be just ONE, big level. No breaks for loading :thumbsup:
- No prerendered stuff inside the game, everting is generated by the
engine
- Estimated playtime ~ 10 hours :sad:

This is what I know so far :hmm:

I got this information from several german forums and the gamestar mag.

link (http://www.gamestar.de/cgi-bin/heft.mpl)

f97ao
01-29-2006, 05:37 PM

It seems some companies are working pretty hard on shaping up the pathfinding and animation issues.

One game company that I recently visited doing one of the bigger "fps" had 2 programmers that worked full time on only pathfinding alone. Will be interesting to see the results of that.

/Andreas

P_T
01-29-2006, 05:55 PM
That's good to hear although pathfinding problem is usually a lot more noticeable and annoying in RTS games where you're tryin to get a squad somewhere in a hurry and somehow the individual units have different pathfinding solution.

This cause some problems, one is they get separated and the stray unit might stumble on some enemies and get themselves killed reducing the squad's effectiveness, plus they alert ur enemy of your presence. Another is you try to direct them manually which prevent you from doing other things and last but not least, they might get to their destination too late.

Aankhen
01-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Problem is, if the AI's too advance, it'll lead to frustration instead of enjoyment of the game.
Perhaps we should try to get to that point first, then tone down? As opposed to not even trying to get there? :)

-Vormav-
01-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Pretty nice screenshots. I love how thick they're making the jungles look.
Fair enough. :p
Although, if we were talking about the next big multiplayer FPS, I think at least half of the players would actually like that. ;)

daart
02-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Some more screenshots and artwork:

http://imagecloset.com/8/thumbs/t_0219021101.jpg (http://imagecloset.com/8/02190211-01.jpg) http://imagecloset.com/8/thumbs/t_0202021102.jpg (http://imagecloset.com/8/02020211-02.jpg) http://imagecloset.com/8/thumbs/t_0237021103.jpg (http://imagecloset.com/8/02370211-03.jpg)

http://imagecloset.com/8/thumbs/t_0215021104.jpg (http://imagecloset.com/8/02150211-04.jpg) http://imagecloset.com/8/thumbs/t_0252021105.jpg (http://imagecloset.com/8/02520211-05.jpg) http://imagecloset.com/8/thumbs/t_0233021106.jpg (http://imagecloset.com/8/02330211-06.jpg)

http://imagecloset.com/8/thumbs/t_0209021107.jpg (http://imagecloset.com/8/02090211-07.jpg) http://imagecloset.com/8/thumbs/t_0257021110.jpg (http://imagecloset.com/8/02570211-10.jpg)

JeroenDStout
02-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Perhaps we should try to get to that point first, then tone down? As opposed to not even trying to get there? :)
I second that!

"Look, the soldier got stuck on a little box that's in his path, phhhheeewww, that was a close one, would've spoiled my fun if he'd beat me!"

Joss
02-12-2006, 02:08 AM
Thanks for those screenshots Daart... they're amazing! It's still ashame though. All these tropical locations and no large lizards to evade. :D

Gonna be flying around in those hover ships a while before I take on the single player missions though. Ahhh. So long BF2.

thomaspecht
02-12-2006, 02:06 PM
- There will be no boss enemies, but some of the aliens are so huge,
that you will have to climb up in order to kill them

the island is inhabited by colossi, huh?

anyway, the second crysis proves to not be yet another pointless ego shooter with way too much emphasis on the visuals and thus too low of a framerate to be considered playable, i'll be all over playing it. until then i'll stay sceptical. ;)

PhilOsirus
02-12-2006, 07:49 PM
FarCry was utter crap in presentation and story telling. This one looks actually good in that department. The shots I saw of the frozen landscape make me wonder if there will be real-time freeze/warmup effects as well.

Either way, I said it before, even if the graphics are now great, WHAT ABOUT THE ANIMATIONS?1!

With all the physic and the chaotic landscapes, it will take a huge amount of effort to have characters that move smoothly across ever changing landscapes in intense situations. There is a major need for a third party application that deals with animation data, AI and physics, like Endorphin (http://www.naturalmotion.com/pages/products.htm). Without this, we will end up with games like Fight Night. It looks great until the player is in control.

There also needs to be greater emphasys on contextual animations. If an AI is shot at, his animations automatically change. He won't reload the same way, he might raise his hand toward his face if an explosion occurs near him, etc. Same thing for player animations. If the player's animation-AI detecs that he is in a fighting situation the reloading animation will be much faster, stressed. Basically, different animations are loaded based on the AI's percieved context.

ambient-whisper
02-12-2006, 09:39 PM
FarCry was utter crap in presentation and story telling. This one looks actually good in that department. The shots I saw of the frozen landscape make me wonder if there will be real-time freeze/warmup effects as well.

Either way, I said it before, even if the graphics are now great, WHAT ABOUT THE ANIMATIONS?1!

With all the physic and the chaotic landscapes, it will take a huge amount of effort to have characters that move smoothly across ever changing landscapes in intense situations. There is a major need for a third party application that deals with animation data, AI and physics, like Endorphin (http://www.naturalmotion.com/pages/products.htm). Without this, we will end up with games like Fight Night. It looks great until the player is in control.

There also needs to be greater emphasys on contextual animations. If an AI is shot at, his animations automatically change. He won't reload the same way, he might raise his hand toward his face if an explosion occurs near him, etc. Same thing for player animations. If the player's animation-AI detecs that he is in a fighting situation the reloading animation will be much faster, stressed. Basically, different animations are loaded based on the AI's percieved context.

if they just got the IK for the legs right then it would be enough to atleast plant the characters on the floor. remember shadow of the colossus? both your horse and character would always adapt its stance to the type of environment that you were on. thats all you really need for now. no need to go full out with a bang of bugs. one step at a time would be better imo.

-SD-
04-22-2006, 10:25 AM
These screens are not new as they have appeared in print magazines previously but it's a good thing that now they have been released for us netizens to drool at... in hi-rez glory :drool:

http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_6.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_6b.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_7.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_8.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_9.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_10.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_11.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_12.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_13.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_14.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_15.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_16.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_17.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_18.jpg
http://www.dailygame.net/Articles/media/screens/crysis/crysispc_19.jpg

http://www.actiontrip.com/features/pics/crysis10.jpg
http://www.actiontrip.com/features/pics/crysis12.jpg

brisck1
04-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Amazing! only thing I didnt like was the DOF in the jungle

P_T
04-22-2006, 11:18 AM
If I hadn't known any better I'd prolly thought 13,14,19 and crysis12 were Terragen renders lol

Alonzo
04-22-2006, 11:43 AM
will there also be a, sandbox editor like in far cry? and when is the release date of this amazing game?

brisck1
04-22-2006, 01:57 PM
I bloody hope there will be a sandbox 2! the last one was a dream to work for!

eMPeck
04-22-2006, 03:20 PM
The problem with next generation engines such as Cry Engine, Unreal is that most developers who license them stick with the original genre that the engine came in . People are too afraid to try something else on a different league. I am not saying noone tried. But only few and a lot of them fall short in other areas of gameplay.

These engines are probably the one of first class engines that we will see. Un fortunately, their power is diminished by the stupidity/laziness of the licensees. The only way to cure this is bring out games in other genre such as Action/Adventure from Epic and CryTek to show people what it can really do.

It's all about money. These engines (U3/FarCry/etc) cost too much $$$ to make a game that would not sell well.

And there always will be market for fancy first person shooters. What do You play first when You buy new video card? Visually most advanced FPS of course (well, right after newest 3d Mark :D )

ernest
04-22-2006, 05:12 PM
nice screenshots... now can't wait until next week, when Bernd Diemer (the crysis lead-designer) is going to speak about crysis at the university of jena... the flyer says that he will also show some exclusiv scenes from crysis :drool:

vfx fan
04-22-2006, 05:36 PM
I wonder if we'll be able to quicksave. If I have one major pet peeve about Far Cry, that it's that you can't quicksave. Sure, you could type a code in the developers console to save the game, but I find quicksaving much more convenient.

I also hope the AI in Crysis isn't so ultra-sensitive like it was in Far Cry. I hope CryTek makes it more believable like in F.E.A.R. I'd also like to tone down my profanity when playing a game, so I hope Crysis either makes you a tougher character or has lots of health packs scattered about. (I had to turn on the god mode to even beat Far Cry.)

That said, the game looks awesome; the character models look 99 percent real (let's hope those models aren't only in cinematics). And if I get lucky, I won't have to upgrade to a PC that costs an arm and a leg.

Joss
04-24-2006, 02:08 AM
nice screenshots... now can't wait until next week, when Bernd Diemer (the crysis lead-designer) is going to speak about crysis at the university of jena... the flyer says that he will also show some exclusiv scenes from crysis :drool:

Now we'll expect some reconnaissance from that lecture Christian! You know... secret photos and audio. ;)

Viper
04-24-2006, 02:56 AM
I read some guys complaining that FPS Engines are usually acquired only for more FPS games, and while that's true, I thought I'd point out that Bioware has licensed the Unreal 3 engine and is doing a RPG with it for the XBOX360 :)

ernest
04-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Now we'll expect some reconnaissance from that lecture Christian! You know... secret photos and audio. ;)

hehe, I see what I can manage ;)

Sonk
04-25-2006, 01:46 AM
will there also be a, sandbox editor like in far cry? and when is the release date of this amazing game?

Of course there is going to be a new sandbox editor(2.0?). But the real question is how moddable well Crysis be? FarCry wasnt so mod friendly...

Yeah i just want to tinker with the engine, i would buy it for that reason alone.

BTW anyone going to E3? , Crysis should be playable. So take some pictures and what not. Im still interested in that "realtime ambient map".

Alonzo
04-25-2006, 12:07 PM
when and where is the E3?

daart
05-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Crysis: E3 2K6 Onstage Demo

http://www.gametrailers.com/player....=10473&type=wmv

jason-slab
05-10-2006, 11:50 AM
had a look at it earlier, looks pretty cool, loads of effects!! i'd like to see a daytime scene though.

like the cusomizing of the guns

jason

daart
06-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Crysis vs. Real-Life

http://666kb.com/i/aer9wjaztvrtzyies.jpg

PyRoT
06-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Incredible. Except for the grass, that is very very nice :D

daart
07-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Some incredible new screens:

Click (http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen.asp?id=10202)

By far the best engine Ive ever seen :)

Apoclypse
07-05-2006, 12:54 PM
OK. so half life in the jungle then?

mech7
07-05-2006, 01:24 PM
halflife is still very scripted gameplay.. you can only go through some halls and you reach the end... the beauty of far cry was that you had an entire island to explore. So nothing like half life if you ask me... but if you are somebody who thinks all fps are the same then yes hl2 in the jungle :shrug:

OK. so half life in the jungle then?

PyRoT
07-05-2006, 01:45 PM
halflife is still very scripted gameplay.. you can only go through some halls and you reach the end... the beauty of far cry was that you had an entire island to explore. So nothing like half life if you ask me... but if you are somebody who thinks all fps are the same then yes hl2 in the jungle :shrug:

yeah half-life is way over scipted. overrated game IMO. Deus ex was better.

HellBoy
07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
holy crap, I didn't notice this thread, those screens are woohaaaa :drool:

what platform is this going to be on, haven't noticed that but I assume itsa PC based game, if so, they're going to require some heavy specs. I bet the minimum requirement will be nvidia 6600 and over

daart
07-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Crytek had a AMD64 X2 +3800 and a Ati 1900XTX Pc on E3 to run Crysis.

mech7
07-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I believe this is the first game that will take advantage of vista direct x 10.. but is backwards compatible.

thoughtlesswhisper
07-05-2006, 03:19 PM
if they just got the IK for the legs right then it would be enough to atleast plant the characters on the floor. remember shadow of the colossus? both your horse and character would always adapt its stance to the type of environment that you were on. thats all you really need for now. no need to go full out with a bang of bugs. one step at a time would be better imo.

dude i think i subconciously stole ur name without even realising. i thought i made it up, but new it had a familiar ring to it. oops. time for a new id.

-SD-
07-26-2006, 11:29 AM
New screens are up!

http://incrysis.com/crysis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=2

Please note that these screenshots have been removed due to an official request.

These screenshots will be released at a later date

...and hopefully as hi-res versions :)

Jozvex
07-26-2006, 11:42 AM
I really hope those images are truly 100% in-game because if they are...... :bounce:

PyRoT
07-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Yes, they are truly amazine though.. the birdeye view does seem to lack.. proper perspective.. I dunno but it doesn't seem THAT great. I also have to note that they are low res pictures. They should have put higher resolution pictures.

Neverthless, :bounce:

UPDATE:
The screenshots have been "removed due to an official request".

It's a shame though I am glad I was able to see them.

-SD-
08-23-2006, 04:05 PM
ATI has posted four CryENGINE 2 tech demo videos on their site:

Day Night Cycle(August2006-SiggraphCourse26).avi (http://www.ati.com/developer/SIGGRAPH06/Crytek-Day_Night_Cycle%28August2006-SiggraphCourse26%29.avi)
River(Camera E3 2006)(August2006-SiggraphCourse26).wmv (http://www.ati.com/developer/SIGGRAPH06/Crytek-River%28Camera_E3_2006%29%28August2006-SiggraphCourse26%29.wmv)
Soft Particles(August2006-SiggraphCourse26).wmv (http://www.ati.com/developer/SIGGRAPH06/Crytek-Soft_Particles%28August2006-SiggraphCourse26%29.wmv)
Volumetric Lightning(August2006-SiggraphCourse26).avi (http://www.ati.com/developer/SIGGRAPH06/Crytek-Volumetric_Lightning%28August2006-SiggraphCourse26%29.avi)

Crytek's ACM SIGGRAPH 2006 paper by Carsten Wenzel is also online:

Wenzel-Real-time_Atmospheric_Effects_in_Games.pdf (http://www.ati.com/developer/siggraph06/Wenzel-Real-time_Atmospheric_Effects_in_Games.pdf)

Source: http://www.ati.com/developer/techpapers.html#acm2006

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2006, 04:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.