PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q : underlying color

XYZRGB
01-22-2006, 12:36 AM
How do I get my brush to not pick up the color of the layer that it is on ? ( I'd like to be able to start with a white cavas without having my brush strokes be affected by the white .)

I have noticed that when I use a brush with a low 'resat' setting and high 'bleed' setting, that the brush will pick up some of the underlying color of the canvas. ( A red brush stroke will begin to turn pink from the white background. )
I have 'Pick up underlying color' switched OFF , and 'dirty mode' off as well, so I thought that the obvious thing to do would be to create a new layer.
I created a new layer and was surprised to see that the brush did the same thing. I was even more puzzled when I turned the bottom layer to black and my brush stroke on the layer above drew as WHITE ( instead of red )

What am I doing wrong ?

I also notice some of the brushes draw as blue instead of the red that I had selected. Why is this ? ( It is almost as if they are being reversed in some way. )

Thanks !

I love this program.

Jinbrown
01-22-2006, 01:20 AM
How do I get my brush to not pick up the color of the layer that it is on ? ( I'd like to be able to start with a white cavas without having my brush strokes be affected by the white .)

I have noticed that when I use a brush with a low 'resat' setting and high 'bleed' setting, that the brush will pick up some of the underlying color of the canvas. ( A red brush stroke will begin to turn pink from the white background. )

There's your answer. If the brush variant has blending or smearing characteristics, it will blend or smear existing color. When the brush variant's Resat slider is moved to the left and the Bleed slider is moved to the right of the Resat slider position, the brush variant will, to one degree or another depending on the slider positions, blend existing color.

I have 'Pick up underlying color' switched OFF , and 'dirty mode' off as well, so I thought that the obvious thing to do would be to create a new layer.
I created a new layer and was surprised to see that the brush did the same thing. I was even more puzzled when I turned the bottom layer to black and my brush stroke on the layer above drew as WHITE ( instead of red )

What am I doing wrong ?

When we paint on transparent areas of a Layer using a brush variant that has blending and smearing characteristics, the brushstrokes will have white edges..... unless.... the Pick Up Underlying Color box is checked so the brushstrokes can pick up and blend with colors on the Canvas or other Layers below the Layer being painted.

Or...

Unless the brush variant is adjusted so it no longer has blending and smearing characteristics.

Or...

Unless the Layer Composite Method is changed to Gel or Multiply so the white edges don't show.

Or....

Unless you paint with another brush variant that does not have blending or smearing characteristics.

I also notice some of the brushes draw as blue instead of the red that I had selected. Why is this ? ( It is almost as if they are being reversed in some way. )

You'll have to be more specific:

What Painter version (including patch/update number if any is installed)?

What brush category and brush variant (exact names)?

Have you made any brush control adjustments to that brush variant?

Are you painting on a Layer?

What Composite Method is used for that Layer?

Any other information you think would help?

Thanks !

I love this program.

You're welcome!

Me too! ;)

XYZRGB
01-22-2006, 03:49 AM
You'll have to be more specific:

What Painter version (including patch/update number if any is installed)?
What brush category and brush variant (exact names)?
Have you made any brush control adjustments to that brush variant?
Are you painting on a Layer?
What Composite Method is used for that Layer?
Any other information you think would help?

You're welcome!

Me too! ;)

Concerning the change in color in my brushes : ( In the order of your questions )

. Version 9.1 ...patch ? Ummm ....no

. I just did another test. I created a new layer and used the Sumi-e brush using the 'Thick Blossom 'brush. It was a nice bold red. I then switched to the one directly below it without making any other changes ( the 'Thin Bristle Sumi-e' ) and had the color change to a dark blue. Hmmm.
This is not a problem .. it just has me puzzled as to why it changes color.

. No changes from the previus brush.
. Yes I'm painting on a layer.
. Composite method ? ( Newbie here :) )
. No..... it's really not a problem at all. I'm just curious really.

Thanks for the help. I'll try and absorb it later. ( It' late. )

Jinbrown
01-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Concerning the change in color in my brushes : ( In the order of your questions )

. Version 9.1 ...patch ? Ummm ....no

I'm guessing you must have purchased Painter IX recently and the 9.1 patch was included in the software by then. I'm using the original Painter IX without the 9.1 patch installed since I got the software when it was first released.

The differences included in the 9.1 patch won't matter in this case, though.

. I just did another test. I created a new layer and used the Sumi-e brush using the 'Thick Blossom 'brush. It was a nice bold red. I then switched to the one directly below it without making any other changes ( the 'Thin Bristle Sumi-e' ) and had the color change to a dark blue. Hmmm.
This is not a problem .. it just has me puzzled as to why it changes color.

Thanks! The answer is easy now that I know the brush variants you were using.

When a new brush variant is saved whether by the Corel Painter developers when working on the program or by us when we save a custom variant, there's the option to save it with the currently selected color or not save it with any particular color. To save our custom brush variant with the current color, we go to the Brush Selector menu, choose Save Variant, type a unique name not already used by Painter, check the Save Current Colors box, and click the OK button. If we don't want to save our custom brush variant with a particular color, we leave the Save Current Colors box unchecked.

The Corel Painter developers, when creating the Sumi-e's Thin Bristle Sumi-e variant, saved it with the color blue, as they did with several Sumi-e brush variants, saving them with various dark, medium, and light blues:

Flat Wet Sumi-e 20
Opaque Bristle Sumi-e
Soft Bristle Sumi-e 30
Thick Blossom Sumi-e
Thin Bristle Sumi-e 20
Variable Thick Sumi-e
Variable Thin Sumi-e 20
Variable Thin Sumi-e 40
Wet Bristle Sumi-e 20

Try this, repeating your test but adding a few more steps so you'll learn some new things that'll help in the future:

Open a new white Canvas.
Choose a fully saturated red (with the small circle on the Colors palette's Saturation/Value Triangle moved all the way to the right point).
Choose the Sumi-e's Thick Blossom Sumi-e variant.
Paint a brushstroke on the Canvas.
Create a New Layer and in the upper left corner of the Layers palette, notice the rectangle displaying the word Default. That's the Composite Method drop down list and the current Composite Method is Default.
While watching the Layer in the Layers palette, begin painting on the Layer. You'll see the Layer icon automatically changed from a grey stack of layers to a pink stack of layers and if you look at the Composite Method drop down list, you'll see the Composite Method automatically changed to Gel.
In the Brush Controls' General palette, notice the Method for this brush variant is Buildup.
Choose the Sumi-e's Thin Bristle Sumi-e 20 variant.
In the Brush Selector menu, choose Restore Default Variant.
Look at the Main Color square in the lower left corner of the Colors palette and notice it's a light blue.
Paint a brushstroke on the Canvas and notice the brushstroke is dark blue.
In the Brush Controls' General palette's Method drop down list, choose Cover.
Paint another brushstroke on the Canvas and notice it's the light blue you see in the Colors palette.
Create a New Layer and paint another brushstroke on the Layer. Notice it's still the light blue you see in the Colors palette.
In the Brush Selector menu, choose Restore Default Variant, then paint another brushstroke on the same Layer and notice the brushstroke is dark blue, the Layer icon is pink, the the Layer Composite Method is changed to Gel.

Now wasn't that fun? :)

. No changes from the previus brush.
. Yes I'm painting on a layer.
. Composite method ? ( Newbie here )

Now you're not quite such a newbie as before with saving a custom brush variant with Save Current Colors checked, Method: Buildup and Composite Methods under your belt.

. No..... it's really not a problem at all. I'm just curious really.

Thanks for the help. I'll try and absorb it later. ( It' late. )

XYZRGB
02-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Wow ! That's a lot of information !
I'll try to absorb it all as best I can.
A new problem that I have involves artifacts appearing when I tap my pen on the screen.
( I am using a Toshiba M200 Tablet PC )
As I paint, I'll place my pen onto the screen to begin my stroke. I am finding that I get a mark about an eigth of an inch above where my cursor is.
It is in the shape of the brush - almost as if my brush tracking were off for a split second.

It goes back to normal tracking wise and all is fine for a while ...then...blipp...there it is again.

Suggestions ?

Thanks !

nafa
02-15-2006, 06:36 AM
Sounds like that randomly, your tablet is already sensing your stylus before it touches the tablet and thus make a brush dab. I would think that it is a hardware glitch.

Jinbrown
02-16-2006, 03:31 AM
Wow ! That's a lot of information !
I'll try to absorb it all as best I can.
A new problem that I have involves artifacts appearing when I tap my pen on the screen.
( I am using a Toshiba M200 Tablet PC )
As I paint, I'll place my pen onto the screen to begin my stroke. I am finding that I get a mark about an eigth of an inch above where my cursor is.
It is in the shape of the brush - almost as if my brush tracking were off for a split second.

It goes back to normal tracking wise and all is fine for a while ...then...blipp...there it is again.

Suggestions ?

Thanks !

You might, without realizing it, be double-clicking instead of just touching the Canvas or Layer to begin a brushstroke.

I have my Wacom stylus toggle button on the side of the stylus set to double-click. Bottom end is set to left click. If I choose one of the Artist's Oils variants, then press the top end of the toggle button, it places a brush dab above and slightly to the left of my cursor location.

Just make sure you're not double-clicking and you should not experience that anymore.

XYZRGB
02-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Hey folks thanks for the help.

I did as you instructed JinBrown, and it worked flawlessly. Thanks !

I also thoght about what the two of you had said about double clicking / etc with the stylus.
I pressed the stylus' button and found out that there is an easy way of increasing /decreasing the size of the brush at the top .

DOOOH ! I just posted a question on this.

Is there a shortcut key for it though ? ( It's still kind of cumbersome .)

Thanks again !

Jinbrown
02-20-2006, 03:52 AM
Hi,

Get in the habit of referring to the User Guide or Painter IX Help > Help Topics for information before asking questions. It'll save you a lot of time:

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > Keyboard Shortcuts

On the right panel, click the link named "Brush Tools" and you'll find the keyboard shortcuts to Resize Brush and Increase (or Decrease) Current Brush Size Incrementally.

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2006, 03:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.