PDA

View Full Version : PRESS RELEASE PIXAR SALE TO DISNEY

Pages : [1] 2

BillB
01-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Disney to Acquire Pixar

Burbank, CA and Emeryville, CA (January 24, 2006) – Furthering its strategy of delivering outstanding creative content, Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS), announced today that Disney has agreed to acquire computer animation leader Pixar (NASDAQ: PIXR) in an all-stock transaction, expected to be completed by this summer. Under terms of the agreement, 2.3 Disney shares will be issued for each Pixar share. Based on Pixar's fully diluted shares outstanding, the transaction value is $7.4 billion ($6.3 billion net of Pixar's cash of just over $1 billion).*

This acquisition combines Pixar's preeminent creative and technological resources with Disney's unparalleled portfolio of world-class family entertainment, characters, theme parks and other franchises, resulting in vast potential for new landmark creative output and technological innovation that can fuel future growth across Disney's businesses. Garnering an impressive 20 Academy Awards, Pixar's creative team and global box office success have made it a leader in quality family entertainment through incomparable storytelling abilities, creative vision and innovative technical artistry.

"With this transaction, we welcome and embrace Pixar's unique culture, which for two decades, has fostered some of the most innovative and successful films in history. The talented Pixar team has delivered outstanding animation coupled with compelling stories and enduring characters that have captivated audiences of all ages worldwide and redefined the genre by setting a new standard of excellence," Iger said. "The addition of Pixar significantly enhances Disney animation, which is a critical creative engine for driving growth across our businesses. This investment significantly advances our strategic priorities, which include - first and foremost - delivering high-quality, compelling creative content to consumers, the application of new technology and global expansion to drive long-term shareholder value."

Pixar President Ed Catmull will serve as President of the new Pixar and Disney animation studios, reporting to Iger and Dick Cook, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. In addition, Pixar Executive Vice President John Lasseter will be Chief Creative Officer of the animation studios, as well as Principal Creative Advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering, where he will provide his expertise in the design of new attractions for Disney theme parks around the world, reporting directly to Iger. Pixar Chairman and CEO Steve Jobs will be appointed to Disney's Board of Directors as a non-independent member. With the addition of Jobs, 11 of Disney's 14 directors will be independent. Both Disney and Pixar animation units will retain their current operations and locations.

"Disney and Pixar can now collaborate without the barriers that come from two different companies with two different sets of shareholders," said Jobs. "Now, everyone can focus on what is most important, creating innovative stories, characters and films that delight millions of people around the world."

"Pixar's culture of collaboration and innovation has its roots in Disney Animation. Our story and production processes are derivatives of the Walt Disney 'school' of animated filmmaking," said Dr. Catmull. "Just like the Disney classics, Pixar's films are made for family audiences the world over and, most importantly, for the child in everyone. We can think of nothing better for us than to continue to make great movies with Disney."

The acquisition brings to Disney the talented creative teams behind the tremendously popular original Pixar blockbusters, who will now be involved in the nurturing and future development of these properties, including potential feature animation sequels. Pixar's 20-year unrivaled creative track record includes the hits Toy Story, Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life, Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. Disney will also have increased ability to fully capitalize on Pixar-created characters and franchises on high-growth digital platforms such as video games, broadband and wireless, as well as traditional media outlets, including theme parks, consumer products and live stage plays.

"For many of us at Pixar, it was the magic of Disney that influenced us to pursue our dreams of becoming animators, artists, storytellers and filmmakers," said Lasseter. "For 20 years we have created our films in the manner inspired by Walt Disney and the great Disney animators - great stories and characters in an environment made richer by technical advances. It is exciting to continue in this tradition with Disney, the studio that started it all."

"The wonderfully productive 15-year partnership that exists between Disney and Pixar provides a strong foundation that embodies our collective spirit of creativity and imagination," said Cook. "Under this new, strengthened animation unit, we expect to continue to grow and flourish."

Disney first entered into a feature film agreement with Pixar in 1991, resulting in the release of Toy Story, which was hailed as an instant classic upon its release in November 1995. In 1997, Disney extended its relationship with Pixar by entering into a co-production agreement, under which Pixar agreed to produce on an exclusive basis five original computer-animated feature films for distribution by Disney. Pixar is currently in production on the final film under that agreement, Cars, to be distributed by Disney on June 9.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and Pixar have approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antritrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, and other customary closing conditions. The agreement will require the approval of Pixar's shareholders. Jobs, who owns approximately 50.6% of the outstanding Pixar shares, has agreed to vote a number of shares equal to 40% of the outstanding shares in favor of the transaction.

The Disney Board was advised by Goldman, Sachs & Co. and Bear, Stearns & Co. The Pixar Board was advised by Credit Suisse.

Separately, the Disney Board approved the repurchase of approximately 225 million additional shares, bringing the Company's total available authorization to 400 million shares. Since August 2004 through the end of December 2005, Disney has invested nearly $4 billion to purchase nearly 155 million shares. Disney anticipates further significant share repurchases going forward, reflecting Disney's continued commitment to returning value to shareholders over time.

* Based on Disney's closing share price of $25.52 as of 1/23/06.

About The Walt Disney Company:

The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS), together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with four business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment and consumer products. Disney is a Dow 30 company, had annual revenues of nearly $32 billion in its most recent fiscal year, and a market capitalization of approximately $50 billion as of January 23, 2006.

Investor Conference Call:

An investor conference call will take place at approximately 2:15 p.m. PT / 5:15 p.m. ET today, January 24, 2006. To listen to the Webcast, turn your browser to www.disney.com/investors/presentations (http://www.disney.com/investors/presentations) or http://corporate.pixar.com (http://corporate.pixar.com/).

If you cannot participate in the live Webcast, re-plays will be available for domestic callers at (888) 286-8010 (PIN 56666399) and for international callers at (617) 801-6888 (PIN 56666399), or at www.disney.com/investors/presentations (http://www.disney.com/investors/presentations) until 4:00 p.m. PT on Tuesday, February 7, 2006. An .mp3 version of this Webcast replay will also be available approximately 24 hours after the Webcast concludes at www.disney.com/investors/presentations (http://www.disney.com/investors/presentations).

Forward-Looking Statements:

Certain statements in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are made on the basis of the views and assumptions of the management of The Walt Disney Company and Pixar regarding future events and business performance as of the time the statements are made and they do not undertake any obligation to update these statements. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Such differences may result from legal or regulatory proceedings or other factors that affect the timing or ability to complete the transactions contemplated herein, actions taken by either of the companies, including restructuring or strategic initiatives (including capital investments or asset acquisitions or dispositions), as well as from developments beyond the companies' control, including: adverse weather conditions or natural disasters; health concerns; international, political or military developments; technological developments; and changes in domestic and global economic conditions, competitive conditions and consumer preferences. Such developments may affect assumptions regarding the operations of the businesses of The Walt Disney Company and Pixar separately or as combined entities including, among other things, the timing of the transaction, the performance of the companies' theatrical and home entertainment releases, expenses of providing medical and pension benefits, and demand for products and performance of some or all company businesses either directly or through their impact on those who distribute our products. Additional factors that may affect results are set forth in the Annual Report on Form 10-K of The Walt Disney Company for the year ended October 1, 2005 under the heading "Item 1A—Risk Factors" and in the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q of Pixar for the quarter ended October 1, 2005 under the heading "Risk Factors" section of Part I, Item 2.

For Additional Information:

This material is not a substitute for the prospectus/proxy statement Disney and Pixar will file with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Investors are urged to read the prospectus/proxy statement which will contain important information, including detailed risk factors, when it becomes available. The prospectus/proxy statement and other documents which will be filed by Disney and Pixar with the Securities and Exchange Commission will be available free of charge at the SEC's website, www.sec.gov (http://www.sec.gov/), or by directing a request when such a filing is made to The Walt Disney Company, 500 South Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521-9722, Attention: Shareholder Services or by directing a request when such a filing is made to Pixar, 1200 Park Avenue, Emeryville, CA 94608.

Pixar, its directors, and certain of its executive officers may be considered participants in the solicitation of proxies in connection with the proposed transactions. Information about the directors and executive officers of Pixar and their ownership of Pixar stock is set forth in the proxy statement for Pixar's 2005 annual meeting of shareholders. Investors may obtain additional information regarding the interests of such participants by reading the prospectus/proxy statement when it becomes available.

http://news.com.com/2100-1026_3-6029432.html

"Walt Disney's board of directors is expected to meet by Monday to consider buying Pixar Animation Studios in a deal that could revive Disney as the world's dominant animation studio and give computer pioneer Steve Jobs a new platform of power."
- News.com

What an amazing admission of defeat that would be on Disney's behalf...

brentorama
01-21-2006, 09:10 PM
If Disney buys Pixar then I'm quitting my job as an animator and becoming an accountant, because apparently making money is more important than making great films.

Shaderhacker
01-21-2006, 09:34 PM
If Disney buys Pixar then I'm quitting my job as an animator and becoming an accountant, because apparently making money is more important than making great films.

Get ready to hand in your papers then!! :thumbsup:

-M

chrisWhite
01-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Oh please NO!

mummey
01-21-2006, 09:55 PM
That's right! Evil wins again!!! :twisted:

chow-mein
01-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Making money has always been the first priority in the entertainment business. It's not pretty or even ethical at times, yet it's what's keeping companies from closing their doors.

M.E.L.
01-21-2006, 10:06 PM

So what if they buy them? You think Jobs will just let his 50.8% share in a company that 'successful' doesn't even begin to describe go to the hands of Disney corporate? Lets face it, Pixar knows better than to simply negotiate in a "money talks" scenario. If anything, I can see Pixar letting Disney buy into them a fraction, maintaining complete and utter control of themselves and also striking a new distribution deal. Lets face it, Pixar can play this any way they like, they're in the drivers seat on this one.

On a totally unrelated note... what's with all the paranoia on the boards lately? Did I miss something where Nostradamus leapt from the grave and predicted the doom of the CG Industry?

-s

JDex
01-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Eh... if it happens, well then it happens. I really hope it doesn't but I won't be quitting my advances towards working in the industry, nor will I move to France in protest (Johnny, it was just silly).

Disney is a company that has the power and talent to come back to it's former artistic glory, if leadership permits. I'm not convinced that Jobs is the person that can fill that role, but then again I could be wrong.

poly-phobic
01-21-2006, 10:11 PM
how is disney evil again....

didnt they start that animation shizznit....

now ppl are threatning to go to accounting...

without disney where would animation be...

let me know plz. 'cause i really dont.

are ya'll just trollin' along the "disney is bad for whatever reason" bandwagon...

dax3d
01-21-2006, 10:13 PM
There was an article in the New York times yesterday discussing this. It was mentioned that if Disney buys Pixar, John Lasseter COULD be chosen to run the animation division. Pixar's creative culture would/could be brought down to Disney. Basically the article said Pixar would get the distributing and marketing power of Disney, and Disney could benefit from Pixar's creativity.

So I don't know how bad Disney buying Pixar would be....or see how "apparently making money is more important than making great films." It looks to me like Disney is trying to make money and wants to make great films.

OH, and after reading about Robert Iger, and seeing how he repaired relations with Steve Jobs I think he could be exactly what Disney needs. He looks like he truly cares about quality, and wants to embrace new technology to deliver content.

Shaderhacker
01-21-2006, 10:15 PM
how is disney evil again....

didnt they start that animation shizznit....

now ppl are threatning to go to accounting...

without disney where would animation be...

let me know plz. 'cause i really dont.

are ya'll just trollin' along the "disney is bad for whatever reason" bandwagon...

Yeap.. but they'll get over it after awhile...in either case, both companies will be successful in the near future.

Hmm...
Walt Disney Feature Animation
Walt Disney Circle7 Animation
Walt Disney Pixar Animation

3 buildings.. all working on CG features..

-M

brentorama
01-21-2006, 10:17 PM
A company when it reaches multinational influence and a controlling interest in over a third of the media can no longer be validated by its achievements in it's infancy. Pixar is on it's way up to the pinnacle of it's own creative capabilities, but inevitably the company will grow to such a point where revenue and corporate strategy outweigh the importance of conveying stories that withstand the test of time; creating wonderful films that last for generations. It was my hope that this process would occur in a natural way, over the course of many decades. Should disney merge with the company it is clear to me that the peak and decline of Pixar will happen much quicker. It's just history, it has happened before. It is hapening now.

poly-phobic
01-21-2006, 10:19 PM
umm ok

are we assuming they'll be making bad films when/if disney buy them, or am i the only one without the magic 8Ball?

M.E.L.
01-21-2006, 11:02 PM
A company when it reaches multinational influence and a controlling interest in over a third of the media can no longer be validated by its achievements in it's infancy. Pixar is on it's way up to the pinnacle of it's own creative capabilities, but inevitably the company will grow to such a point where revenue and corporate strategy outweigh the importance of conveying stories that withstand the test of time; creating wonderful films that last for generations. It was my hope that this process would occur in a natural way, over the course of many decades. Should disney merge with the company it is clear to me that the peak and decline of Pixar will happen much quicker. It's just history, it has happened before. It is hapening now.

I don't nearly see this as being a universal truth of any sort to be honest. While individual and company creativity often go through influxes over time and can/will slump now and then, there will always be a continuous drive to fuel the creativity while the proper people are in power. Just because Disney buys into Pixar does not mean that the Creative Directors, Art Directors and writers will all be fired; infact I believe the opposite will happen where these people are kept as a valuable asset just as they have been all along. Pixar has made a name for itself time and time again, it continues to do so and revolutionize the age-old Disney story-telling to a fresh and inspiring point these days; this persists because of the key people at Pixar who have a love and passion for the work, not for the paycheque and being part of the $100,000 club.

In regards to the "peak and decline" statement, Pixar has already peaked; they peaked way back when Toy Story propelled itself into every childs room and when Monsters Inc rocketed forth iconic representations that kids could relate to. Lets face it, Pixar has been at the top of its game for a number of years now because of their ability to stay focussed on the quality and consistency of their art and stories; they're not about to lose that.

Pixar will remain a top dog and will persistently create inpsiring pieces in my eyes, penning a deal with Disney will only solidify that more. You have a very large company with powerful marketing able to sell/promote/ship your product in mass quantities, the ability to globally tap into any and all mediums worldwide from theme parks to mom & pop video stores etc etc. Above all, you now have 2 company execs who are looking to better their companies, Iger wants to see Disney succeed the way Roy Disney probably would have wanted his father to see the company and this is probably why the talks are in place.

To be quite frank, both companies for the lack of a better term 'need' each other (excessive term yes, but I couldn't think of anything better at the moment) and can benefit immensely off what the other has to offer.

Still feel like quitting your job?

-s

brentorama
01-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Disney needs Pixar more than Pixar needs Disney.

And a job is just a job

Unless it's a Steve Job

M.E.L.
01-21-2006, 11:14 PM

And a job is just a job

Unless it's a Steve Job

Ever try negotiating a global distribution deal? How about people to get your films into thousands of theatres for an opening night? Merchandising (Pixar store costs lets say)?

Think about it... they need each other just the same... Pixar benefits from Disney's huge market of distribution and their amazing ability to put movies to dvd so quickly (bah dum dum tsh) and Disney benefits from Pixars creative genius. Both parties win.

I can hear the groans now from that joke :P

-s

JDex
01-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Think about it... they need each other just the same... Pixar benefits from Disney's huge market of distribution and their amazing ability to put movies to dvd so quickly (bah dum dum tsh) and Disney benefits from Pixars creative genius. Both parties win.

I can hear the groans now from that joke :P

-s

:D :bowdown:

BigErn
01-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Disney arent wanting to buy Pixar to turn out more average films ( more average Disney films I mean). They are buying the talent. The artists, creative teams, writers, directors.

You think Disney are just going to let Lassiter just sit around? Nope! they will be wanting them to help them back to where they used to be, on top!

So I can only guess they will hand control over to Pixar and say..... "just do whatever you want to make us good again" :D the way I see it.

FloydBishop
01-22-2006, 12:28 AM
Pixar has changed hands before, and it was a positive thing. There's no reason to believe that this would not mean great things for the companies and animation as well. Learn your CG history, people.

I don't care who's running the show, as long as the movies are good. So far, the movies are good.

Lorecanth
01-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Pixar has changed hands before, and it was a positive thing. There's no reason to believe that this would not mean great things for the companies and animation as well. Learn your CG history, people.

I don't care who's running the show, as long as the movies are good. So far, the movies are good.

http://www.dreamonsillydreamer.com/

You can solve problems one of two ways ingenuity or throwing around money. Wonderful things happen at any company driven by the former, however Disney's culture (like all transcontinental corporations) is the latter. It's not that they can't hire talents to churn out lion king 1.5. It's that the germ of an idea of a 1.0 can never make it through the corporate beaurocrap to actually get made.

ReBootedOne
01-22-2006, 01:38 AM
*hopes for the best*

mlmiller1983
01-22-2006, 02:33 AM
As long as Pixar makes their movies the way they see fit I see no problem and I doubt Disney would try to tell a studio as sucessful of Pixar how to make their films. Disney has the marketing power and Pixar has the talent. Its a Win Win situation for both companies. Now if a certain somebody was still CEO of Disney I might be a little worried. :)

Shaderhacker
01-22-2006, 04:28 AM
Disney has the marketing power and Pixar has the talent.

I would like to say that Disney also has talent - in fact - after seeing the projects at last year's Siggraph, they have the best animation talent I've seen. Those animators are vicious!

It just seems like the big suits have bad tastes in choosing a story that they think people will enjoy..

-M

mlmiller1983
01-22-2006, 05:19 AM
I would like to say that Disney also has talent - in fact - after seeing the projects at last year's Siggraph, they have the best animation talent I've seen. Those animators are vicious!

It just seems like the big suits have bad tastes in choosing a story that they think people will enjoy..

-M

You'd think they'd learn from Pixar's success and stop making the same sftuff over and over again. Great animation doesn't make up for a medicore script and plot.

Shaderhacker
01-22-2006, 05:39 AM
Great animation doesn't make up for a medicore script and plot.

Yup, I guess we can also say that a great script and plot doesn't make up for bad animation either (ie. Hoodwinked)? ;)

Seems you gotta have both things be "great" in order to be truly talented around here..:rolleyes:

-M

mlmiller1983
01-22-2006, 05:54 AM
I actually liked the animation in hoodwinked and the I thought the writing in that movie was pretty good. Maybe if I just said Pixar has talented "writers" it would have been better. I never meant to imply that Disney had bad animators.

amannin
01-22-2006, 06:39 AM
so what will happen to disney's animation department -- does that mean getting my foot in the door with disney, gets a foot (or toe) in Pixar?

If so, that would be a blessing considering my school is affiliated with Disney...

Dark Eternity
01-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Looks like it is now confirmed. Jobs will be getting $3.5 billion out of the deal. Hopefully iwth him as the biggest shareholder in Disney things won't be completely ruined at Pixar. I just hope to God they stay in the Bay Area.

kabojnk
01-22-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't know, I'd like to see Pixar more involved in non-Disneyesque projects. I'm sick of the amalgamut of talent being funneled towards kids through their feature films. But that's just me being selfish. And, when I think Disney, I think ages 12 and under. Or 30 and older if you're socially inept. The point is that Disney directs its content towards kids for the most part, or at least family entertainment (both of which I despise), and it will probably do a great job in conjunction with Pixar. Just not something I'd personally want to see.

Peddy
01-22-2006, 02:20 PM
its not like disney animators lack talent. Every new disney movie that i manage to see, the ones that get the horrible ratings and downward spirals in the box office, always manage to amaze me with the sheer skill in animation. they still know how to draw. thats not the problem.

i wouldnt be surprised if staff from disney make their way over to pixar, but i wouldnt be surprised if disney treated the situation in the same manner they do now - that is, not enforcing creative control. at least, thats what i ardently hope for.

Mysterious X
01-22-2006, 02:30 PM
The only thing I worry about is people refer to a Pixar movie as a Disney movie..it is happening now but if the deal happens it'll still go on :(

mummey
01-22-2006, 03:01 PM
PDI films are referred to as Dreamworks Animation. I don't see them complaining though. :shrug:

Goon
01-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Jobs to scoop $3.5bn as Pixar board approves Disney takeover
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/01/22/cnpixar22.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2006/01/22/ixcitytop.html

Shaderhacker
01-22-2006, 04:41 PM
The only thing I worry about is people refer to a Pixar movie as a Disney movie..it is happening now but if the deal happens it'll still go on :(

I doubt this will be the case. They *might* get rid of the Pixar name.

-M

Digit
01-22-2006, 04:47 PM
PDI films are referred to as Dreamworks Animation. I don't see them complaining though. :shrug:

Ive heard people, like my sister for example, refering to ANY animated film as a Disney film. Disney just means animation to a lot of people.

ReBootedOne
01-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Jobs to scoop $3.5bn as Pixar board approves Disney takeover
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/01/22/cnpixar22.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2006/01/22/ixcitytop.html
:cry:
does this make it official...?

-eric

JDex
01-22-2006, 04:58 PM
:cry:
does this make it official...?

-eric

If you read the article... it's just another "tommorrow they are meeting, this is likely to happen..." article.

mlmiller1983
01-22-2006, 05:50 PM
I don't know, I'd like to see Pixar more involved in non-Disneyesque projects. I'm sick of the amalgamut of talent being funneled towards kids through their feature films. But that's just me being selfish. And, when I think Disney, I think ages 12 and under. Or 30 and older if you're socially inept. The point is that Disney directs its content towards kids for the most part, or at least family entertainment (both of which I despise), and it will probably do a great job in conjunction with Pixar. Just not something I'd personally want to see.

Yeah it would be nice to see more mature and adult oriented CG films come out but highly unlikely. I could only imagine what Disney would have cut out of "The Incredibles" if they had a power to as some thought it was too violent(yeah pretty stupid).

Nichod
01-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Woohoo! Disney and Pixar merging! My dream come true!

To all the doomsayers...SHAME ON YOU!

ukyo
01-22-2006, 06:38 PM
in the newyork times it said that it had already been agrred upon that lassater would have a strong role in the creative direction. thats reassuring. disney also does have other child companies producing more adult oriented films as well. it would be a shame to see pixar just get meleded into the mesh of the disney wireframe. i dont think lassater or a hefty portion of the pixar crew would stand for it.

i think were are going to see either a stronger pixar come out of this or perhaps a new studio emerge from the animation refugees that come out of this whole ting. its kinda funny to notice that there are a lot of changes happening all so recently. the acquisition of alise by auto desk, disney trying to acquire pixar, even dreamwroks being sold. i wonder what could possibly be next

Srek
01-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Personaly i think that it's not a bad thing that Disney gets a major stockholder who knows the artistic and financial value of good entertainment. I would have been with the doomsayers if Jobs were to simply get money for Pixar, but seeing him become a major force within Disney tells me that people there finaly realised that only running the company as a money making machine does not work in the long run.
It still remains to be seen what comes out of the deal, but i expect more good then bad from it.

Cheers
Björn

hominid
01-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Their renderer would now be called... "PhotoRealistic Rendermouse"

Cheers,
Pete

ringzero
01-23-2006, 01:02 AM
blah blah blah blah....

xynaria
01-23-2006, 02:26 AM
Hunter gets captured by the game anyone?:D

angel
01-23-2006, 02:43 AM
interesting, now, sit back and see how all this gets played out.

AdrianWilliams
01-23-2006, 02:57 AM
I dont get it... didnt Pixar split from them a wile ago? Now they are going back?
Oooh the confusion....

JDex
01-23-2006, 02:59 AM
I dont get it... didnt Pixar split from them a wile ago? Now they are going back?
Oooh the confusion....

Had a deal,
deal was over.
Now Mouse buys.

maX_Andrews
01-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Time to buy disney/pixar stock!

I think Steve jobs is banking nicely on his initial $10 mil invesement, 3.5 billion is a cool 350x return :)

MrPositive
01-23-2006, 08:00 AM
This should'nt scare anyone as these two have worked hand in hand since day one. Heck the only movie Disney hasn't advertised for Pixar is Cars and we haven't even seen it yet (just think if it fails miserably). Expect nothing to change at Pixar as far as production (in fact I'm sure Disney is scared to even touch it, considering it's success). Disney will once again do the promotion for Pixar's movies, and in other words, big deal. Anything more than this would be like painting an extra coat of oil on the Mona Lisa to brighten up the greens. :)

BillB
01-23-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't know why so many people are so worried. It's not like suits can't help but meddle in creative endeavours. And it's not like a corporate takeover almost always means the eventual death of the culture of the smaller entity, and the stripping of its value for the benefit of the larger company.

Fall 2011 Release : "Finding Pixar"

(Hey, being a doomsayer is FUN! Opinions expressed here may not be my own)

chrisWhite
01-23-2006, 09:24 AM
I think it's just alarming to see what so many of us look up to as our hero studios get taken over by one that hasn't had a very good track record recently.

parker
01-23-2006, 10:09 AM

umfridus
01-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Oooh the confusion....
They couldn't reach a deal when Eisner was the CEO. Now Iger has replaced him, and maybe, just maybe, things at Disney will turn better.

Frank Lake
01-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Hopefully Jobs will get a place on Disney's board and a VP position that's attached to "creative control" somehow! Frankly the guy resume alone will swing the stockholders into pushing for him to be on the board if he didn't already gain himself a seat!

Either way I hope that he's put into a position where he can easly run interferance for either animation studio.

mummey
01-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Time to buy disney/pixar stock!

I think Steve jobs is banking nicely on his initial $10 mil invesement, 3.5 billion is a cool 350x return :)

Time to buy Apple stock! Steve being on Disney's board assures that iTunes gets an endless supply of content, with the possibility of it being exclusive.

mummey
01-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Its now made it to Newsweek. I love the image. ;)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10966807/site/newsweek/

dalmanna
01-23-2006, 05:29 PM
It's like some of you guys have never seen a Disney animated feature!? doom and gloom about the merger. Hate to tell you guys this but Lasseter was a disney animator, the companies stand for the same thing. Pixar pretty much just kept Walt's ideals alive through lasseter so for the too companies to merge i can't see what the problem is. Disney have always been at the forefront of animation in the past and with this they will be again. so sit back, shut up and enjoy the movies.

digitalputty
01-23-2006, 06:55 PM

I agree. Hopefully Pixar will see how bad this would be ... lifeless characters, crappy stories ... :( *prays to the animation gods* ... please dont let this happen.

BillB
01-23-2006, 06:58 PM
You gotta love newspapers.

Headline : "Disney and Pixar's CEO Steve Jobs talk of joining forces"
Then further down "Jobs refused to comment for this story... Disney refused to comment"

Their most concrete sources were other newspapers, and "people familiar with the talks". Sheesh.

tfahey1
01-23-2006, 07:01 PM
I don't know that I have heard; supposedly what are the benefits to Pixar in this deal? Besides distribution.

dax3d
01-23-2006, 07:40 PM
I agree. Hopefully Pixar will see how bad this would be ... lifeless characters, crappy stories ... :( *prays to the animation gods* ... please dont let this happen.

I repeat...current speculation is JOHN LASSETER would be in charge of the resulting animation division. Between him, and Steve Jobs (also considered by creative by most) being creative forces in the company....then how is it a bad thing? You get Disney's business empire, and Pixar's creativity. Sounds like it could be a great thing.

MartyMcFly
01-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Supposedly Jobs would have a large stake in Disney, and would be able to help out Disney where they really need it.....in it's managment of the company and how their movies are made. Pixar is still a Director Driven Studio. Bringing that culture to Disney could help them. ALSO,...Lasseter is supposedly suppose to take over all creative control over the animation. That could really be helpfull to Disney as well.

It seems like people think that Pixar is all of a sudden going to stop making great films, because all of a sudden there will be a bunch of Disney "suits" taking over Pixar.

I don't think that Jobs or Lasseter would make a deal with Disney if it would hurt Pixar in any way, you can see that they love the company too much to do that. Pixar would Still have FULL control over their movies,...and continue to make them how they always have.

IT seems like Pixar would have the greater influence over Disney. But Disney also has a tremendous Marketing team and great movie distribution. Something Pixar is still in need of, and something that Disney has always contributed to the partnership.

dax3d
01-23-2006, 07:51 PM
This deal would make Jobs the largest individual shareholder of Disney. An article today mentioned Jobs probably wouldn't sit still for long and could go after some sort of VP role, or larger role in Disney. Believe that article was in Newsweek.

js33
01-23-2006, 11:36 PM
I was like most of you thinking that this would be bad for Pixar but after thinking about it it's not so much Disney buying Pixar but rather Pixar would be taking over Disney. :) This would mean that all of Disney's movies would be Pixar quality rather than Pixar movies turning into Disney movies. I think this deal will make a bigger and more powerful Pixar. Imagine Pixar Themeparks opening soon. :)

Cheers,
JS

pearson
01-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Wow, first Alias, now Pixar...:sad:

Honestly, Disney is a lot bigger than Pixar, and any blending of cultures is going to hurt Pixar worse than it will help Disney.

A.) In a perfect world, Disney would magically (re)discover how to make great movies and (re)enter a golden age of animation.

B.) In reality the best we can hope for is for Pixar to remain untainted, cranking out hits, and for Lassetter to wring a great film out of Disney every few years.

C.) In the worst case, Pixar management will be too focused on exporting their winning formula to make over Disney, which will leave Pixar rudderless and flailing, while not improving Disney any appreciable amount.

agreenster
01-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Done deal apparently?

http://applexnet.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1712

7 Billion? I cant tell if this is speculation or not

ftaswin
01-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Oh well...

There it goes... I'm a bit upset, but hey, it's all business after all...

captain3d
01-24-2006, 12:20 AM
I have been looking for some backup to that report but have not found anyone else yet saying done deal.

Also there is no new info. Maybe they are just guessing. Any other reports out there?

phil

ntmonkey
01-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Looks like it's posted on the 22nd like everything else on the net. Market is closed, and still no news on a definate yes or no. Maybe I'm reading in the wrong place?? :shrug:

peace,

Lu

Shaderhacker
01-24-2006, 12:23 AM
It's not official. Let's see what Tuesday brings with the news..

-M

mummey
01-24-2006, 12:35 AM
To keep the rumour-mongering going... ;)

>>Linky<< (http://www.google.com/search?oi=stock_keyword&q=stocks%3Cimg%20src=%22images/smilies/grin.gif%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22%22%20title=%22grin%22%20smilieid=%2230%22%20class=%22inlineimg%22%20/%3EIS&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstock%2BDIS%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dig)

FloydBishop
01-24-2006, 01:40 AM
Sometimes news like this is announced after the closing bell on Wall Street, but I wouldn't think that would be the case in this... umm... case.

Terrell
01-24-2006, 04:33 AM
The Pixar "brown-nosing" and Disney hatred on this forum is at a level of puke inducing. When the Pixar hits a rut, and they will, what will these people do.

Shaderhacker
01-24-2006, 05:06 AM
The Pixar "brown-nosing" and Disney hatred on this forum is at a level of puke inducing. When the Pixar hits a rut, and they will, what will these people do.

Blame it on Disney! ;)

-M

Kion
01-24-2006, 05:34 AM
I guess the save disney campaign did work. This would have never been possible if eisner were still there. I hope this works out well for both camps. I see disney's 3rd golden age of animation on the horizon.

Michael32766
01-24-2006, 05:57 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/business/media/24disney.html?ei=5090&en=487ed9345beebc2c&ex=1295758800&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

January 24, 2006
Disney Bid for Pixar Is Imminent

By LAURA M. HOLSON (http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?ppds=bylL&v1=LAURA%20M.%20HOLSON&fdq=19960101&td=sysdate&sort=newest&ac=LAURA%20M.%20HOLSON&inline=nyt-per) and ANDREW ROSS SORKIN (http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?ppds=bylL&v1=ANDREW%20ROSS%20SORKIN&fdq=19960101&td=sysdate&sort=newest&ac=ANDREW%20ROSS%20SORKIN&inline=nyt-per)
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 23 - The Walt Disney Company (http://www.nytimes.com/redirect/marketwatch/redirect.ctx?MW=http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/nyt-com/html-companyprofile.asp&symb=DIS) is planning to announce as early as Tuesday the acquisition of Pixar Animation Studios in a stock transaction valued at about $7 billion, people briefed on the negotiations said Monday night.

Disney's board voted to give the chief executive, Robert A. Iger, the authority to offer the chief executive of Pixar (http://www.nytimes.com/redirect/marketwatch/redirect.ctx?MW=http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/nyt-com/html-companyprofile.asp&symb=PIXR), Steven P. Jobs (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/j/steven_p_jobs/index.html?inline=nyt-per), about $59 a share for the company, these people said. The price would be at a slight premium over Monday's closing of $58.27 a share, which gave Pixar a market value of about $6.93 billion.

Disney's negotiators were then expected to approach their counterparts at Pixar to reach a price, and Pixar's board could vote on the deal soon after that, these people said.

A Disney spokeswoman declined to comment; calls to Pixar were not returned.

All of the people briefed on the negotiations cautioned that the deal could fall apart at any time. "This is tricky," one said. "All of the things have to be just right."

Several crucial details were still being hammered out Monday, including the employment contracts for certain Pixar executives, among them John Lasseter (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=202358&inline=nyt-per), Pixar's chief creative officer and a former animator at Disney, one person said. He is expected to oversee the animation unit that would become part of Disney's filmed animation division.

The deal would combine Pixar with Disney's animation unit and give Mr. Jobs a seat on Disney's board.

Two years ago Disney and Pixar began renegotiating a distribution agreement that would have given Disney the right to distribute Pixar's films after the release of the forthcoming "Cars." (The two jointly produce Pixar movies although Disney owns the rights. The agreement ends after "Cars.")

At that time, as with these talks, price was an issue. In 2004, Mr. Jobs was demanding that Disney share rights to the movies that Pixar had yet to make, including "The Incredibles," which was released in 2005, as well as "Cars." But Disney, which owned all of the rights to these movies, did not want to give them up.

Pixar, based in Emeryville, Calif., has grown to hundreds of employees from about 44 in 1986, two years after Mr. Jobs acquired the company from the director George Lucas (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=100308&inline=nyt-per) for $10 million. Pixar and DreamWorks (http://www.nytimes.com/redirect/marketwatch/redirect.ctx?MW=http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/nyt-com/html-companyprofile.asp&symb=DWA) Animation have led the way in computer animation for films.

Last year, talks about renewing the distribution deal with Pixar arose again after Mr. Iger was named chief executive of Disney. Mr. Iger began thinking about the acquisition last fall when it became clear to him that distribution alone would not add much value to Disney over all, said a person who discussed the matter with the Disney chief.

Disney's own animation unit lagged behind its peers, and Mr. Iger made it a priority to improve its operation. Animation is essential to Disney's success because it provides the characters that drive the company's theme parks, consumer products and cable television programs. In recent years, Pixar has become a steady supplier of such characters.

Laura M. Holson reported from Los Angeles for this article and Andrew Ross Sorkin from New York.

Shaderhacker
01-24-2006, 05:58 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060124/bs_nm/media_pixar_disney_dc

Looks like it'll be near the end of the week before things are official.

-M

paul.yan
01-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Who else bought DIS before market close? (to match my doubled value PIXR :D)

JBoskma
01-24-2006, 07:59 AM
It's final?

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=10054

''
Last week, we reported on some rumblings about Disney's proposed acquisition of Pixar. At the time, it was all just speculation but now it's being reported that Disney has indeed bought Pixar for a reported sum of seven billion dollars, effectively making Steve Jobs the largest shareholder at Disney and challenging Bill Gates' reign as de facto Master of the Universe. The immediate result of Jobs' newfound authority will likely be a wealth of Disney video content available for download through iTunes. The long term result? That's a question for you guys. What do you think? How will this affect Disney, whether positively or negatively? Is Jobs one step closer to ushering in the era of Apple where the world is draped in a blinding minimalistically designed white and "i" language replaces English as the standard means of communication?
''

ninjacore
01-24-2006, 09:20 AM
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2006/tc20060124_959402.htm

theres another report.

This Sucks.

20 years from now we will all be living in our iHomes sipping on our iCocktails on our iArses watching the latest release of some really crappy kids cartoon.

i was hoping pixar would one day move onto projects aimed at older audiances. there goes that idea.

Baq
01-24-2006, 09:42 AM
this is great news!!!

BillB
01-24-2006, 09:43 AM
"The terms include giving Jobs an estimated 7% stake in Disney and letting Pixar's top creative executive, John Lasseter, have a key role in advising Disney in creative matters"

Talk about the tail wagging the dog! Little more than 10 years after Disney gives Pixar a leg up getting Toy Story out there, and now Pixar will (likely) be more or less running WDFA. Now thats Incredible.

BillB
01-24-2006, 09:46 AM
When the Pixar hits a rut, and they will, what will these people do. Continue to praise the best and scorn the rest? It took Disney how long to fall off the 2D horse good an proper? You could be waiting a while...

baby
01-24-2006, 09:49 AM
the new director of animation aka John Lasseter to promoto Brad Bird chief of the new pixar 2D animation studio ?!? :)

ok I'm not suppose to show it but here's the new official logo :)

http://babystudio.free.fr/fun/newlogo.jpg

baby
01-24-2006, 10:06 AM
another easy one :)

http://babystudio.free.fr/fun/mixar.jpg

Breinmeester
01-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Imagine that: Jason Ryan animation for a Brad Bird film. This can be great!

send2raj
01-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Finally .........it's done :wip: :wip: :wip:
check out the link
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060124/tc_nm/media_pixar_disney_dc_4

mummey
01-24-2006, 01:27 PM
In the interest of killing new 'dated' threads.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=312536

Matt_Forcum
01-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Hold on boys, its going to get bumpy.

Great Image Baby! I am going to use it on my blog if you don't mind. (I will give you credit and a link to your site.)

-Matt

warpy
01-24-2006, 04:10 PM
looks like its final 7billion in total.. yay for steve jobs

mummey
01-24-2006, 05:09 PM
(Posted this in the other thread, I might as well post it here too...) :p

At this point, its going to happen. I would guess that the idea started as soon as Iger became CEO. He probably called up Steve and said, "Hey, I got an idea..."

Everything between that point and last week has probably just been negotiations between the two. I would imagine that both boards have known about this and were even part of the negotiations. The meetings going on now are simply presentations of the final deal and Q&A. Everyone's interest on the board was most likely already considered so at the end of the meetings each board will rubber-stamp the agreement and wait until the right time to announce.

There, I just said what everyone was thinking but couldn't put it all together. Your welcome. :D

-b

SheepFactory
01-24-2006, 05:42 PM
I am sad that the deal went through. I would have much preferred disney and pixar to be seperate. the competiition drove Disney to start making great films , now there is no competition so to speak.

I have a feeling bay area companies will start getting a lot of kickass reels pretty soon. :)

Hammy_W
01-24-2006, 05:57 PM
I am sad that the deal went through. I would have much preferred disney and pixar to be seperate. the competiition drove Disney to start making great films , now there is no competition so to speak.

Agree... Though I don't think I like the idea of Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo 2, Monster Inc 2, Incredibles 2 and so on. Which I rememebr reading somewhere about it but it could be just rumors? They even made TV series out of Toy story's Buzz light year already, anyway.

Hope to see great films coming up from both Disney and Pixar still. Business and politics are what they are after all...

Emmanuel
01-24-2006, 06:09 PM
I guess the animators at Disney probably are tired by all the changes.
First, Disney continued to do average 2d films (Tarzan, Atlantis, Treasure Planet...),
which probably led to frustration, then D. decided to shut 2D down and with Chicken Little I would have sworn D. wanted to get independant from P.
So I guess quite a lot of artists at D. worked their ass off with some kind of rebel mentality to prove that D. could do great 3D features without P.
and NOW D. buys P. and all of a sudden the artists probably start to wonder why they worked their asses of for Chicken Little, and whether they will become a part of Pixar or what.
If I was a Disney artist, I guess this would be a good time to leave, and if I was P. artist, I would think the same, like in the games industry, people leave the "mother" to start something on their own.
And so maybe some artists will leave both D. and P. and make their won company, becoming the "new Pixar", doing stuff "how Pixar used to do it back in the golden days, when toys came alive and monsters lived in the cupboard, before the dark times, before the Disney Empire" (to quote Obi Wan in A New Hope).

Interesting times, I would have preferred Pixar to buy Disney or stay independant, but so it goes...

PerryDS
01-24-2006, 06:35 PM
From my perspective, all good things come to an end. Disney has previously gone through cycles of growth and depression. Buy outs can result in major dissapointment. There was a little animation effects company that disney bought out and moved them into a big ritzy building. The result was the movie "Dinosaur". It was a financial flop and the whole entity was torn down and now no longer exists. Will this happen with Pixar? Previously, Steve Jobs abhored the idea of Disney meddling with pixar storylines. As well, John lasseter has alway been coverted by Disney, because of his abbility to rally the troops and build a solid story from nothing at all. The Disney politics could spell doom to a successful striving entity. If it ain't broken, don't sell out.

Capel
01-24-2006, 06:51 PM
this sounds like good news. seems like both studios are going to benefit from this deal.

gruvsyco
01-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Awesome! looking forward to these future Pixar related headlines:

Disney outsources all Pixar productions to India.
Disney/Pixar to begin production on Toy Story 12: Woody and Buzz VS. Flick (direct to dumpster release).

Also, can't wait for pixar.go.com... Yay! more ads, more mind numbing useless flash crap.

dax3d
01-24-2006, 07:31 PM
I still don't understand the hatred towards Disney. This is the company that gave us classic animated movies. They had a rough time in the 80's, Eisner helped bail them out...and many believe he is the reason for all the sequels and things that many people are griping about. He may have outstayed his welcome a little, but he's gone. Nobody knows what Robert Iger will do, but he's trying. Roy Disney seems to have backed off, so why doesn't everyone wait and see what will happen?

I am not saying I want the two companies together necessarily...I just think it could be a great thing for both. I'd love to see some of Pixar's creativity at Disney.

Oh, and just to cover the bases...
I hate Disney
I hate Microsoft (alright Vista DOES scare me)
Lucas is Bad/Evil...

damn, I can't remember any other popular things to bash on here.

Shrink
01-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Peter Jackson. ;)

Shaderhacker
01-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Well, the Disney-bashing comments will come to an end very soon.. once the deal is done, it'll all be Disney. Hopefully Pixar's creativity will influence Disney and that'll be the end of the story..

-M

RobertoOrtiz
01-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Disney board okays takeover offer to Pixar: source

Quote:

"The board of Walt Disney Co. has authorized Chief Executive Robert Iger to make an offer to buy Pixar Animation Studios Inc., and that is expected by Tuesday, a source familiar with the matter said late on Monday.

Pixar's board is expected to consider the offer on Tuesday as well, said the source, who did not disclose financial terms."

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060124/media_nm/media_pixar_disney_dc)

-R

BillB
01-24-2006, 08:14 PM
looks like its final 7billion in total.. yay for steve jobs
No, there has been no official announcement yet that I've seen. They both appear to have agreed to the deal, but it's not official.

pixelmonk
01-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Sad... Stevie Jobless will now become even more powerful.

krispee
01-24-2006, 09:00 PM
i was watching the BBC news today when they announced the Disney/Pixar buyout, not sure if it`s absolutely set in stone but they wouldn`t feature it on the BBC if it wasn`t true.....

krispee

rcronin
01-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, the Disney-bashing comments will come to an end very soon.. once the deal is done, it'll all be Disney. Hopefully Pixar's creativity will influence Disney and that'll be the end of the story..

Here's the thing though. You can't tell me that Disney hasn't had under their roof some of the best artists in the world working for them for the last 15 years. Does buying more artists (albeit 3d artists) solve the problem with Disney's film production output? Disney now OWNS Pixar. Pixar's creativity may be directed by outsiders now.
We'll see.

FloydBishop
01-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Straight from the mouse's mouth:

Press Release Source: The Walt Disney Company

Disney to Acquire Pixar
Tuesday January 24, 4:15 pm ET
Long-time Creative Partners Form New Worldwide Leader in Quality Family Entertainment

BURBANK, Calif. & EMERYVILLE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 24, 2006--The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS - News):
Ed Catmull Named President of the Combined Pixar and Disney Animation Studios and John Lasseter Named Chief Creative Officer; Steve Jobs to Join Disney's Board of Directors
Disney Increases Stock Repurchase Authorization
Furthering its strategy of delivering outstanding creative content, Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS - News), announced today that Disney has agreed to acquire computer animation leader Pixar (NASDAQ: PIXR - News) in an all-stock transaction, expected to be completed by this summer. Under terms of the agreement, 2.3 Disney shares will be issued for each Pixar share. Based on Pixar's fully diluted shares outstanding, the transaction value is $7.4 billion ($6.3 billion net of Pixar's cash of just over $1 billion)(a).

This acquisition combines Pixar's preeminent creative and technological resources with Disney's unparalleled portfolio of world-class family entertainment, characters, theme parks and other franchises, resulting in vast potential for new landmark creative output and technological innovation that can fuel future growth across Disney's businesses. Garnering an impressive 20 Academy Awards, Pixar's creative team and global box office success have made it a leader in quality family entertainment through incomparable storytelling abilities, creative vision and innovative technical artistry.

"With this transaction, we welcome and embrace Pixar's unique culture, which for two decades, has fostered some of the most innovative and successful films in history. The talented Pixar team has delivered outstanding animation coupled with compelling stories and enduring characters that have captivated audiences of all ages worldwide and redefined the genre by setting a new standard of excellence," Iger said. "The addition of Pixar significantly enhances Disney animation, which is a critical creative engine for driving growth across our businesses. This investment significantly advances our strategic priorities, which include -- first and foremost -- delivering high-quality, compelling creative content to consumers, the application of new technology and global expansion to drive long-term shareholder value."

Pixar President Ed Catmull will serve as President of the new Pixar and Disney animation studios, reporting to Iger and Dick Cook, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. In addition, Pixar Executive Vice President John Lasseter will be Chief Creative Officer of the animation studios, as well as Principal Creative Advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering, where he will provide his expertise in the design of new attractions for Disney theme parks around the world, reporting directly to Iger. Pixar Chairman and CEO Steve Jobs will be appointed to Disney's Board of Directors as a non-independent member. With the addition of Jobs, 11 of Disney's 14 directors will be independent. Both Disney and Pixar animation units will retain their current operations and locations.

"Disney and Pixar can now collaborate without the barriers that come from two different companies with two different sets of shareholders," said Jobs. "Now, everyone can focus on what is most important, creating innovative stories, characters and films that delight millions of people around the world."

"Pixar's culture of collaboration and innovation has its roots in Disney Animation. Our story and production processes are derivatives of the Walt Disney `school' of animated filmmaking," said Dr. Catmull. "Just like the Disney classics, Pixar's films are made for family audiences the world over and, most importantly, for the child in everyone. We can think of nothing better for us than to continue to make great movies with Disney."

The acquisition brings to Disney the talented creative teams behind the tremendously popular original Pixar blockbusters, who will now be involved in the nurturing and future development of these properties, including potential feature animation sequels. Pixar's 20-year unrivaled creative track record includes the hits Toy Story, Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life, Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. Disney will also have increased ability to fully capitalize on Pixar-created characters and franchises on high-growth digital platforms such as video games, broadband and wireless, as well as traditional media outlets, including theme parks, consumer products and live stage plays.

"For many of us at Pixar, it was the magic of Disney that influenced us to pursue our dreams of becoming animators, artists, storytellers and filmmakers," said Lasseter. "For 20 years we have created our films in the manner inspired by Walt Disney and the great Disney animators -- great stories and characters in an environment made richer by technical advances. It is exciting to continue in this tradition with Disney, the studio that started it all."

"The wonderfully productive 15-year partnership that exists between Disney and Pixar provides a strong foundation that embodies our collective spirit of creativity and imagination," said Cook. "Under this new, strengthened animation unit, we expect to continue to grow and flourish."

Disney first entered into a feature film agreement with Pixar in 1991, resulting in the release of Toy Story, which was hailed as an instant classic upon its release in November 1995. In 1997, Disney extended its relationship with Pixar by entering into a co-production agreement, under which Pixar agreed to produce on an exclusive basis five original computer-animated feature films for distribution by Disney. Pixar is currently in production on the final film under that agreement, Cars, to be distributed by Disney on June 9.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and Pixar have approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antritrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, and other customary closing conditions. The agreement will require the approval of Pixar's shareholders. Jobs, who owns approximately 50.6% of the outstanding Pixar shares, has agreed to vote a number of shares equal to 40% of the outstanding shares in favor of the transaction.

The Disney Board was advised by Goldman, Sachs & Co. and Bear, Stearns & Co. The Pixar Board was advised by Credit Suisse.

Separately, the Disney Board approved the repurchase of approximately 225 million additional shares, bringing the Company's total available authorization to 400 million shares. Since August 2004 through the end of December 2005, Disney has invested nearly $4 billion to purchase nearly 155 million shares. Disney anticipates further significant share repurchases going forward, reflecting Disney's continued commitment to returning value to shareholders over time.

(a) Based on Disney's closing share price of $25.52 as of 1/23/06.

The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS - News), together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with four business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment and consumer products. Disney is a Dow 30 company, had annual revenues of nearly $32 billion in its most recent fiscal year, and a market capitalization of approximately $50 billion as of January 23, 2006.

An investor conference call will take place at approximately 2:15 p.m. PT / 5:15 p.m. ET today, January 24, 2006. To listen to the Webcast, turn your browser to www.disney.com/investors/presentations (http://www.disney.com/investors/presentations) or http://corporate.pixar.com. (http://corporate.pixar.com./)

If you cannot participate in the live Webcast, re-plays will be available for domestic callers at (888) 286-8010 (PIN 56666399) and for international callers at (617) 801-6888 (PIN 56666399), or at www.disney.com/investors/presentations (http://www.disney.com/investors/presentations) until 4:00 p.m. PT on Tuesday, February 7, 2006. An .mp3 version of this Webcast replay will also be available approximately 24 hours after the Webcast concludes at www.disney.com/investors/presentations. (http://www.disney.com/investors/presentations.)

Certain statements in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are made on the basis of the views and assumptions of the management of The Walt Disney Company and Pixar regarding future events and business performance as of the time the statements are made and they do not undertake any obligation to update these statements. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Such differences may result from legal or regulatory proceedings or other factors that affect the timing or ability to complete the transactions contemplated herein, actions taken by either of the companies, including restructuring or strategic initiatives (including capital investments or asset acquisitions or dispositions), as well as from developments beyond the companies' control, including: adverse weather conditions or natural disasters; health concerns; international, political or military developments; technological developments; and changes in domestic and global economic conditions, competitive conditions and consumer preferences. Such developments may affect assumptions regarding the operations of the businesses of The Walt Disney Company and Pixar separately or as combined entities including, among other things, the timing of the transaction, the performance of the companies' theatrical and home entertainment releases, expenses of providing medical and pension benefits, and demand for products and performance of some or all company businesses either directly or through their impact on those who distribute our products. Additional factors that may affect results are set forth in the Annual Report on Form 10-K of The Walt Disney Company for the year ended October 1, 2005 under the heading "Item 1A--Risk Factors" and in the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q of Pixar for the quarter ended October 1, 2005 under the heading "Risk Factors" section of Part I, Item 2.

This material is not a substitute for the prospectus/proxy statement Disney and Pixar will file with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Investors are urged to read the prospectus/proxy statement which will contain important information, including detailed risk factors, when it becomes available. The prospectus/proxy statement and other documents which will be filed by Disney and Pixar with the Securities and Exchange Commission will be available free of charge at the SEC's website, www.sec.gov, (http://www.sec.gov,/) or by directing a request when such a filing is made to The Walt Disney Company, 500 South Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521-9722, Attention: Shareholder Services or by directing a request when such a filing is made to Pixar, 1200 Park Avenue, Emeryville, CA 94608.

Pixar, its directors, and certain of its executive officers may be considered participants in the solicitation of proxies in connection with the proposed transactions. Information about the directors and executive officers of Pixar and their ownership of Pixar stock is set forth in the proxy statement for Pixar's 2005 annual meeting of shareholders. Investors may obtain additional information regarding the interests of such participants by reading the prospectus/proxy statement when it becomes available.

krispee
01-24-2006, 09:39 PM
i can`t see why they would even begin to think about altering the pixar magic formula when they know if they leave them alone they`ll have hit after hit on their hands, bringing in the money they all need in order to keep afloat.....i just can`t see it.....
bet you they give pixar all the autonomy they need....and the post above i see that they will, basically....pixar make the films disney deals with everything else....

krispee

RobertoOrtiz
01-24-2006, 09:42 PM
PRESS RELEASE PIXAR SALE TO DISNEY
Disney to Acquire Pixar

http://corporate.pixar.com/releaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=185239

Burbank, CA and Emeryville, CA (January 24, 2006) – Furthering its strategy of delivering outstanding creative content, Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS), announced today that Disney has agreed to acquire computer animation leader Pixar (NASDAQ: PIXR) in an all-stock transaction, expected to be completed by this summer. Under terms of the agreement, 2.3 Disney shares will be issued for each Pixar share. Based on Pixar's fully diluted shares outstanding, the transaction value is $7.4 billion ($6.3 billion net of Pixar's cash of just over $1 billion).*

"With this transaction, we welcome and embrace Pixar's unique culture, which for two decades, has fostered some of the most innovative and successful films in history. The talented Pixar team has delivered outstanding animation coupled with compelling stories and enduring characters that have captivated audiences of all ages worldwide and redefined the genre by setting a new standard of excellence," Iger said. "The addition of Pixar significantly enhances Disney animation, which is a critical creative engine for driving growth across our businesses. This investment significantly advances our strategic priorities, which include - first and foremost - delivering high-quality, compelling creative content to consumers, the application of new technology and global expansion to drive long-term shareholder value."

"Pixar's culture of collaboration and innovation has its roots in Disney Animation. Our story and production processes are derivatives of the Walt Disney 'school' of animated filmmaking," said Dr. Catmull. "Just like the Disney classics, Pixar's films are made for family audiences the world over and, most importantly, for the child in everyone. We can think of nothing better for us than to continue to make great movies with Disney."

"For many of us at Pixar, it was the magic of Disney that influenced us to pursue our dreams of becoming animators, artists, storytellers and filmmakers," said Lasseter. "For 20 years we have created our films in the manner inspired by Walt Disney and the great Disney animators - great stories and characters in an environment made richer by technical advances. It is exciting to continue in this tradition with Disney, the studio that started it all."

* Based on Disney's closing share price of $25.52 as of 1/23/06.

The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS), together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with four business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment and consumer products. Disney is a Dow 30 company, had annual revenues of nearly $32 billion in its most recent fiscal year, and a market capitalization of approximately $50 billion as of January 23, 2006.

An investor conference call will take place at approximately 2:15 p.m. PT / 5:15 p.m. ET today, January 24, 2006. To listen to the Webcast, turn your browser to www.disney.com/investors/presentations (http://www.disney.com/investors/presentations) or http://corporate.pixar.com (http://corporate.pixar.com/).

If you cannot participate in the live Webcast, re-plays will be available for domestic callers at (888) 286-8010 (PIN 56666399) and for international callers at (617) 801-6888 (PIN 56666399), or at www.disney.com/investors/presentations (http://www.disney.com/investors/presentations) until 4:00 p.m. PT on Tuesday, February 7, 2006. An .mp3 version of this Webcast replay will also be available approximately 24 hours after the Webcast concludes at www.disney.com/investors/presentations (http://www.disney.com/investors/presentations).

Certain statements in this press release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are made on the basis of the views and assumptions of the management of The Walt Disney Company and Pixar regarding future events and business performance as of the time the statements are made and they do not undertake any obligation to update these statements. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Such differences may result from legal or regulatory proceedings or other factors that affect the timing or ability to complete the transactions contemplated herein, actions taken by either of the companies, including restructuring or strategic initiatives (including capital investments or asset acquisitions or dispositions), as well as from developments beyond the companies' control, including: adverse weather conditions or natural disasters; health concerns; international, political or military developments; technological developments; and changes in domestic and global economic conditions, competitive conditions and consumer preferences. Such developments may affect assumptions regarding the operations of the businesses of The Walt Disney Company and Pixar separately or as combined entities including, among other things, the timing of the transaction, the performance of the companies' theatrical and home entertainment releases, expenses of providing medical and pension benefits, and demand for products and performance of some or all company businesses either directly or through their impact on those who distribute our products. Additional factors that may affect results are set forth in the Annual Report on Form 10-K of The Walt Disney Company for the year ended October 1, 2005 under the heading "Item 1A—Risk Factors" and in the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q of Pixar for the quarter ended October 1, 2005 under the heading "Risk Factors" section of Part I, Item 2.

This material is not a substitute for the prospectus/proxy statement Disney and Pixar will file with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Investors are urged to read the prospectus/proxy statement which will contain important information, including detailed risk factors, when it becomes available. The prospectus/proxy statement and other documents which will be filed by Disney and Pixar with the Securities and Exchange Commission will be available free of charge at the SEC's website, www.sec.gov (http://www.sec.gov/), or by directing a request when such a filing is made to The Walt Disney Company, 500 South Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521-9722, Attention: Shareholder Services or by directing a request when such a filing is made to Pixar, 1200 Park Avenue, Emeryville, CA 94608.

feeesh
01-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Hopefully Pixar's creativity will influence Disney and that'll be the end of the story..

Hopefully, but Im more worried it'll be reverse and being part of the Disney COrporate machine will influence Pixar Creative decisions and we'll get less than stellar product from Pixar now. But who knows. Eisner is gone now and that's definitely a good thing. I really hope it stays a great place though. Im going through school now and really ahd aspirations to work at Pixar. Would hate for it to go away or get lame before I ever even got a chance to try out. :shrug:

And reading on Yahoo just now, looks like it's a DONE DEAL!

rcronin
01-24-2006, 09:49 PM
.....i just can`t see it.....
bet you they give pixar all the autonomy they need....

Have you worked on a production with the following heirarchy > Mega corporation/director/multiple producers/animation director(s)/anim superviser(s)/animators? (throw in at any point /some bum buddy to the corporation ceo/ some PA that some exec is playing with/ some bum chum friends with corporate head/ corporate producer that needs to get a word in, etc etc etc etc etc)

Disney is PACKED with non-artist types. You all know how the heirarchy works. Ultimate say is the people who hand out the cash. Period.

HitParader
01-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Yes it's official. IMO all of the doom and gloom over this is overblown. After a decade of missteps, Disney knows that Pixar can deliver what it needs: popular, character-driven features with first-class producton values and just enough pop culture references to stay relevant without being trite. Disney needs stong characters as a basis for the theme parks (no suprise that there's no Emperor's New Groove ride at Disneyland), and Pixar needs capital and distribution to do what it does best.

paperclip
01-24-2006, 10:03 PM
We'll see once the next Pixar/Disney film comes out.....

Will it be called a 'Disney' film? Or will it be called a Pixar/Disney film?

ninjacore
01-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Oh No.

ANother week, another couple of crappy companys get merged.

Tut. Bummer. there goes any chance of Pixar using its skill to do something other than films for kids. would have been nice to see SOMETHING else.

i guess the well known voiced acted talents of various hollywood yah yahs will still be apparant.

OOOH OOOHH. MAYBE THEY WILL CALL THEMSELVES DISNEYAR. OR, OR PIXARNEY. OMGL33TBBQ.

internet/

sarcasm/

Vashner
01-24-2006, 10:09 PM
What saved them was a few great digitally animated features.

Letting artists take back over from the suits.

dax3d
01-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Wow, great post Ninjacore.

rcronin, I am not saying they did not have creative people at Disney. I recall at one point (maybe even up to now) they had someone running the animation division at Disney that wasn't from an animation background, and from an interview I read..he wasn't that into the job. I am saying they may not have had the most creative leadership. If Eisner or the higher ups are rushing production on things, and trying to milk all their creative properties (all the direct to video sequels)..that may have been a very bad influence. Now you have Steve Jobs, Dr. Catmull, and JOHN LASSETER influencing decisions...I think it could be great.

And yes whoever has the money makes the calls, but Disney has left ESPN alone and they are a very successful brand. Hopefully they know enough to do the same here.

Basically trying to be an optimist, growing up on Disney and enjoying Pixar's work.

JDex
01-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Iger and Jobs are expected to be interviewed on CNN within the hour.

Neil
01-24-2006, 10:27 PM
2nd huge mergers in recent times, nice.

Let me just say, that's a killer front-page image for this story ;)

Ac0rN
01-24-2006, 10:28 PM
omg, lol, :twisted:

way to go disney :thumbsup:

rblitz7
01-24-2006, 10:31 PM
AHHH!! poop! I liked Pixar's nice peaceful individuality but now there mixed up in the mega corporation mumbo jumbo!!:sad: And they better not change the Pixar Animation Studios logo you see at the start of their movies!!

bbossin
01-24-2006, 10:37 PM
float $betMoney = $betMoney * $aLot
float $aLot = rand

How much you want to bet that Steve Jobs tries to take over Disney. Lots of these guys wanted to work at Disney and left because Disney became the maus haus. Catmull, Lasseter and the Pixar people would love to be the undisputed kings of animation with international theme parks Jobs' ego and his ability to deliver on that ego, would love to be the head mouskateer. Jobs as eventual ceo of Disney, that would be insanely great.

Menesis
01-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Why Not?

"When you can't produce good movies, you just buy 'em"

Argh. I don't know why, but I don't like this.
Maybe it's because pixar has good humor and Dinsey not

EricLyman
01-24-2006, 10:39 PM
I'd be interested in hearing what all you Pixar employees think about this! You Disney employees too. Although I guess you can't really distinguish them now.

L.Rawlins
01-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I had a bit of a thought about this whole thing and this popped into my head.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1792/idisney3df.jpg

I thought it was kinda powerful iconography for this story. But then I'm looking furthur into it than Pixar being 'under new management'. I'm genuinely interested and sort of excited to see what comes of this. :)

poly-phobic
01-24-2006, 10:44 PM
I'd be interested in hearing what all you Pixar employees think about this! You Disney employees too.

why dont we start a new thread asking this very question!
and another one vaguely similar 2 days later.

what fun!

3DDave
01-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Did Jobs sell the Renderman technology or is he keeping it?

Every Pixar story/film had to be approved by Disney, Finding Nemo showed a pitch to the Disney execs on the DVD.

Is Jobs going to start another animation company and make films suited to a different audience?

Neural Riptide
01-24-2006, 10:47 PM
This is incredibly sad news.
Pixar has been a great company. And it will continue to be so, right up until they turn over the keys.

Like buying a Ferrari for hauling manure.

MK2
01-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Making money has always been the first priority in the entertainment business. I dont think so. The first priority is to entertain someone. Sure, i can see that there are companys that only want our money but whats with all these artists that do all the other things?
They belong to the business too! (Iam thinking of independent studios(movie,music,games), comic-artist, etc.)

mangolass
01-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Pixar President Ed Catmull will serve as President of the new Pixar and Disney animation studios, reporting to Iger and Dick Cook, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. In addition, Pixar Executive Vice President John Lasseter will be Chief Creative Officer of the animation studios, as well as Principal Creative Advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering, where he will provide his expertise in the design of new attractions for Disney theme parks around the world, reporting directly to Iger.

So, John Lasseter is going to head Disney's animation studios? And Ed Catmull will be the President of all of Disney's animation studios?

It sounds more as if ~ practically speaking ~ Pixar has taken over Disney ~ or at least Pixar has taken over Disney Feature Animation ~ and Disney paid them to do it.

LT

rblitz7
01-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Jobs as eventual ceo of Disney, that would be insanely great.
YESSSS!:buttrock:

brentorama
01-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Awesome! looking forward to these future Pixar related headlines:

Disney outsources all Pixar productions to India.
Disney/Pixar to begin production on Toy Story 12: Woody and Buzz VS. Flick (direct to dumpster release).

Also, can't wait for pixar.go.com... Yay! more ads, more mind numbing useless flash crap.

Yes, I see you are blessed with the ability to see into the future as well

Antonbomb22
01-24-2006, 11:04 PM
best of luck

swardson
01-24-2006, 11:10 PM
I actually think quite a bit of good can come from this, with Lassater and Catmul at the helm of all animation creation for both Disney and Pixar features, I think we will start to see a wider (more diverse) array of quality films being released. It seems here that Iger had finally realised that Pixar was pixar because of the people and story (not the computers and software) and decided to invest in the gold of pixar and keep those responsible for much of Pixars qualities in charge.

This is going to an interesting time though I think. Im looking forward to it though.

-Brad

Neural Riptide
01-24-2006, 11:15 PM
It seems here that Iger had finally realised that Pixar was pixar because of the people and story (not the computers and software) and decided to invest in the gold of pixar and keep those responsible for much of Pixars qualities in charge.

That may be true, but will be seen when the keys are handed over and the layoffs, if any, begin.

Romero
01-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Not sure what my take is on this. Disney straight to video movies has to stop. IMHO Pixar has a certain class most studios don't have. It would be a shame to see it stop because of this merger. I can remember a time when I used to think that same about Disney. As long as they stick to original stories I have know quarrels. I would like very much so to think of Disney as I once did.

snoop088
01-24-2006, 11:21 PM
as long as the creative is left to pixar and distribution to disney all would be cool :D. it would be sad if pixar starts producing films like 'The Chronicles of Narnia' :sad: . Time will tell.

MartyMcFly
01-24-2006, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=snoop088]as long as the creative is left to pixar and distribution to disney all would be cool :D.

Yup, that's whats happening. Ed Catmull is President of Animation, John Lasster is Head of ALL feature animation, and Steve Jobs is tje ;argerst shareholder/ and member of the board.

Basically, Pixar is taking over how Disney is now going to be run. And if they do the same job they did JUST with Pixar.....that company is going to be very strong.

Disney is not changing anything to Pixar.....They are the winning formula. Disney is hoping that is will spread!!

Rofideo
01-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Ahhhh! TODOS VAMOS A MORIR!
Sorry a litle bit of hysteria

C'mon pals,
All of us want to Work whith both, err... the First and last company now
(A dream when I was a child)

EVER in some place one has the spirit to make GREAT WORKS
S#it! this sound like disney formula.

The big idea is: If things gone be worst, The creatives of Pixar (or any were),
simply create a new studio.

So long ;)

mr_peanut
01-24-2006, 11:49 PM
anyone know what this means for toy story 3?..

endless
01-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Interesting times. As long as it's Pixar's influence rubbing off on Disney and not the other way around though, I don't have a problem with this deal. I would love to see Disney animation return to the magic that I grew up on. A Pixaresque rendition of Fantasia 2010 (or whenever they decide to revisit that again) would be awesome.

EricLyman
01-24-2006, 11:58 PM
I had a bit of a thought about this whole thing and this popped into my head.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1792/idisney3df.jpg

Ha! That's great. I can see the headlines now... "Jobs sells Pixar to Disney, with one condition for the graphic design dept...."

Pinoy McGee
01-25-2006, 12:02 AM
Request for Summer Blockbuster 2010....please :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Flipmcgee/stitch_buzz.jpg

strangelife
01-25-2006, 12:03 AM
"They don't care about anything but money" is a tired cliche and a pretty narrow-minded way of looking at the merger. I doubt the boardroom talks centered around "Just think of all the MONEY we'll make!"
There are some great possibilities here (Eisner's gone), as well as some potential caveats (past formulaic, safe, Disney no-brainers). Hopefully the executive structure will be such to rejuvenate the cobwebs upstairs and be open to some fresh ideas (some risk taking) in addition to their bread-and-butter mix of juvenile fluff.
It'll take a few years to see where the chips fall. Until then, I'm neutral.

L.Rawlins
01-25-2006, 12:08 AM
Ha! That's great. I can see the headlines now... "Jobs sells Pixar to Disney, with one condition for the graphic design dept...."

I was thinking more along the lines of the content distribution department myself. 'Steamboat Willy' coming to an iPod near you soon. ;)

Trenox
01-25-2006, 12:10 AM
"They don't care about anything but money" is a tired cliche and a pretty narrow-minded way of looking at the merger.

Indeed it is, but that doesnt mean it isnt true - sadly ;)

Would Pixar join up with disney because of MORE artistic freedom or because distribution under the Disney logo is a sweet deal ?

Dagibit
01-25-2006, 12:12 AM
I guess the fact that they sold themselves means they're confident that disney won't interfere or atleast screw anything up.:shrug:

PokeChop
01-25-2006, 12:14 AM
How far is Pixar from Disney? Is is just down the road or is it several hours away from one another?

Dalomar
01-25-2006, 12:14 AM
Disney has been diluted into a money machine over its life span.. you cant expect a major industry giant to sit by, close its only other source of income (classical) and try to compete with the company that was spawned from its own animation geniuses.

Pixar was becoming an important and dangerous competitor in its extremely short lived individualism. Disney simply wanted to make sure it had a fence between pixar, and the bigger paycheck.

As if it matters either way... disney will go on being a huge controlling father that owns all facets of the media industry, and the people that disrespect them will be the ones funding their quest. You cant boycott disney, then buy your child animation material. Even from a competing company, you are still proving that disney is an unstoppable power.

I believe its a mellow-dramatic move, since disney can pour their world-renowned name all over Pixars vast knowledge and established quality base. On the other side, disney is known for limiting the contribution its daughter companies have in the final productions. If the creative teams from both disney and pixar are combined instead of fighting, then we will see the true magic take flight.

GOTgraphic
01-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Disney to Acquire Pixar

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

High-quality, wholesome animation, entertainment is finished... IMHO :banghead:

igorstshirts
01-25-2006, 12:17 AM
WOW! Dispix?

dax3d
01-25-2006, 12:17 AM
I guess the fact that they sold themselves means they're confident that disney won't interfere or atleast screw anything up.:shrug:

Exactly, do you think Jobs, Catmull, and Lasseter would just let Disney bend them over a barrel? Not likely. Catmull and Lasseter will be in charge of ALL animation (and Imagineering which could be great), so it looks like they are being asked to revitalize Disney animation.

Not bad..

BillB
01-25-2006, 12:19 AM
and Pixar needs capital Did you read the deal announced? The bit about Pixar having a One Billion Dollars in the bank? Capital was nothing to do with it :)

Let's all just pray the obvious to our respective gods - that this goes the way it looks with Pixar taking over WDFA.

mr_peanut
01-25-2006, 12:20 AM
Disney has been diluted into a money machine over its life span.. you cant expect a major industry giant to sit by, close its only other source of income (classical) and try to compete with the company that was spawned from its own animation geniuses.

Pixar was becoming an important and dangerous competitor in its extremely short lived individualism. Disney simply wanted to make sure it had a fence between pixar, and the bigger paycheck.

As if it matters either way... disney will go on being a huge controlling father that owns all facets of the media industry, and the people that disrespect them will be the ones funding their quest. You cant boycott disney, then buy your child animation material. Even from a competing company, you are still proving that disney is an unstoppable power.

I believe its a mellow-dramatic move, since disney can pour their world-renowned name all over Pixars vast knowledge and established quality base. On the other side, disney is known for limiting the contribution its daughter companies have in the final productions. If the creative teams from both disney and pixar are combined instead of fighting, then we will see the true magic take flight.

what is everyone talking about?....

how can there be so many economic / business experts on a computer graphics forum? ( sarcasm

baby
01-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Agree... Though I don't think I like the idea of Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo 2, Monster Inc 2, Incredibles 2 l...

I really like the idea of Toy Story III, Monster Inc2 & Incredibles 2 !!!

for me Toy story and Monsters are the best CG ever made and still need to be beatten..
and Incredibles arrive in third position...

I definitly WANT to see those characters back !!! they have created some unforgetable characters and there are still 1000 original stories to tell...they just need to supervise that a fuc...g good guy who knows what to do to make them great and original...a certain J.L. would do the job...and now he will be behind all...so go go go !!!

come on...I'm already hard thinking of myself in cinema watchin Woody and Buzz return !!! I'm doing CG because of them...let them come back !!!

Everybody wants to see Ross, Rachel, Joey, Phoebe, Chandler come back for a 241 or something like that episode !!! let Woody & Buzz have their thirs episode ^^
(I'm proud of my example and can go to bed now)

bahman
congratulation to steve jobs ,Ed Catmull & John lasster, We all love you, oh I'm craying :cry: .

SPIDER2544
i just hope that pixar makes disney its sugar dady, and can just make dam good movies without disney doing a dam thing nto control them.

disney seems to of forgoten how to make a story, and relies on focus groups to make a film for them. i just hope things to get stupid from this deal hahah

thebrianproject
01-25-2006, 12:24 AM
this is bullshit.

Headless
01-25-2006, 12:24 AM
This is going to be just like the Autodesk/Alias thing: A bunch of threads, pages and pages long, filled with sensationalist comments about people selling out, companies getting shut down, or whatever else, and then it'll end up being business as usual.

It's been Disney and Pixar for the last 6 films guys, this is nothing new.

All the key figures are still in positions of control, the company is still working out of the same offices, and the formula they've developed has been successful for years. They'd have to be utterly retarded to change things now.

Shaderhacker
01-25-2006, 12:25 AM
i just hope that pixar makes disney its sugar dady, and can just make dam good movies without disney doing a dam thing nto control them.

disney seems to of forgoten how to make a story, and relies on focus groups to make a film for them. i just hope things to get stupid from this deal hahah

Do you guys read??

Pixar's execs are going to HEAD Disney now!!! The only influence you'll see will be Pixar!! So stop with the Disney may dilute Pixar.. its more about Pixar changing Disney.

-M

aaron111
01-25-2006, 12:26 AM
Suprisingly, I have to admit that I am a bit excited by the way this is shaping up. This could be a whole new golden age for Disney animation.

paul.yan
01-25-2006, 12:28 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/24/news/companies/disney_pixar_deal/index.htm?cnn=yes
(The video is in the middle of the page)

From the very start of his being Disney CEO, Robert Iger has made it pretty aparent that he wants to return Disney to its roots - concentrating on animation. Satisfying Pixar's every needs and placing their top creatives/leaders in charge of all of Disney's talent is in no way an attempt to smother the company or force them under their wing. Disney recognizes Pixar's dominance and is attempting to fix its own Feature Animation by having Pixar at the helm.

There's no conspiracy folks. Just lots of potential.

baby
01-25-2006, 12:29 AM
brain in action :
I want to see a Kermit movie supervised by John Lasseter :)

damn this is good

Frank Lake
01-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Dalomar,

I disagree to a point.

Right now isn't the time to disrupt the established or started projects. DFA should continue on with their planned sequels & originals, and have Pixar as 'in house consaltants' for them. And Pixar can continue with what they are doing, and show the DFA unit how they(Pixar) work while DFA acts as the little 'upstart brother' and offers suggestions and C&C. Eventually within 5 years they should be well over 80% intergrated and we should be seeing then their combine talents.

*wonders if Jobs will be CEO by then* :curious:

MarieMJS
01-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Mmmm here is another crazy thought...

Ghibli linked with international rights with Disney <-> Disney Pixar (Mixar :D) = collaboration?
As Myazaki is supposed to be a good friend of the Pixar team... he was against Disney, but maybe not against Pixar :D

*dream dream*

Oh...and...Kermit Movie rules :D ahahahah!

ghZaaaRK
01-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Well, what does it still for DiZney? Pixar is eated, who's the next?

they are strong thoses Zionists, i take sadly my hat off.

jewalker
01-25-2006, 12:35 AM
I just want to clarify a few points. Walt Disney Feature Animation is responsible for recent movies such as Treasure Planet, Lilo & Stitch, Home On the Range, Brother Bear, and most recently Chicken Little. WDFA is currently working on Meet the Robinsons, American Dog, and Rapunzel. All of the "shitty" sequels as you call them are produced by Buena Vista Home Entertainment, a completely separate business unit. Valiant was produced by Vanguard Animation (among others) and distributed by Buena Vista Distribution (aka Disney). The Wild is produced by Disney, but made by CORE, which will also be making several future Disney movies.

The Circle 7 studios was designed to create feature length sequels, mostly based on Pixar movies. Disney owned the rights to these sequels, and was planning on making these movies, beginning with Toy Story 3.

Here's what I gather from the merger. Ed Catmull is the President of Disney/Pixar animation. That gives him primary control over what movies get made among Pixar, CORE, WDFA, and Circle 7. What will happen to Circle 7? Like I said, it was primarily designed to make Pixar sequels. Disney now completely owns the rights to all sequels, and Pixar didn't want the sequels to be made. Catmull is now in charge, so it looks like it will be his decision. John Lasseter is in charge of Creative Development, which means all future Disney movies will benefit from his creative abilities. WDFA has many talented animators and artists, but has suffered from weak stories and scripts. That responsiblity now falls to Lasseter.

Overall this seems to me like a very positive move for both companies. Why will Pixar change? Ed Catmull is still in charge. What will happen to WDFA? They now have a new president, and a new creative director. Hopefully this can only be a good thing. What will happen to Circle 7? Who knows? We'll find out over the next several months.

Chango
01-25-2006, 12:46 AM
Free the Mouse !

Mouse Liberation Front

noisewar
01-25-2006, 12:47 AM
As the biggest sourest pessimist of anything that comes my way, I'm shocked that people are naysaying blindly on something that is clearly beneficial for both companies. Would you honestly have Fox or WB own Pixar? Or perhaps you think Nickalodeon could handle the marketing muscle? Disney wasn't evil per se, it was a desperate and lost relic that has done a great job of shedding some deadweight and getting back people who care. :beer:

onlooker
01-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Quote from MacCentral
Pixar Chairman and CEO Steve Jobs will be appointed to Disney’s Board of Directors as a non-independent member, according to the agreement reached between the companies.

Pixar President Ed Catmull will serve as President of the new Pixar and Disney animation studios, reporting to Iger and Dick Cook, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios.

In addition, Pixar Executive Vice President John Lasseter will be Chief Creative Officer of the animation studios, as well as Principal Creative Advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering.

It looks to me like Disney wanted, and is getting Pixar's team to run Disney itself. :shrug:

Who wouldn't want to be Pixar? Let's just hope Iger and Dick Cook don't start thinking they should be turning out 10 films a year, and totally blow this for themselves.

Barf_cg
01-25-2006, 12:57 AM
If I remember correctly, Pixar LEFT Disney, after putting the finishing touchs on Cars, the one Pixar movie that does not look interesting. I am confused.:shrug:

dax3d
01-25-2006, 12:59 AM
Pixar decided to end their marketing and distribution deal with Disney. Steve Jobs didn't like Eisner anymore and that was that. Robert Iger upon becoming CEO of Disney made it top priority to return Disney to its roots of animation, and make nice with Pixar. Pixar was never owned by Disney, they were owned by George Lucas (oh the horror!) who sold Pixar to Steve Jobs.

HieSpike
01-25-2006, 01:02 AM
Let me try and predict something, and you can qoute me on it one day.

Pixar has a nice deal set up with Disney. Pixar gets creative control and Disney helps distribute and everyone makes lot of money and great films...AND THEN. The day will come, when Disney begins interferring with Pixars creativity and well, we know what will happen next. BIG fights between top people at both companies and then people will leave from Pixar/Disney and then Disney will try to hire a bunch of people (both here and aboard) to pick up the pieces. And well, things will return to the way they are now, minus Pixar. Disney will be doing what it is doing right now once again, and maybe a new animation studio will try to battle Disney - until they are bought as well.

Honestly, this sucks

My Fault
01-25-2006, 01:07 AM
Man, way too negative there HieSpike. Even if that came to pass, and I really doubt it, John Lasseter could walk outside to the street corner, announce he wants to start a new studio and have so many people flooding him with money to do so it wouldn't even be funny. His track record speaks volumes. He attracts major talent and people want to work with him. Plus Bob Iger seems like he genuinely wants to turn things around.

HieSpike
01-25-2006, 01:09 AM
speaking of which, anybody else check out the trailer for "The WIld" What an f'in joke.

dax3d
01-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Well said My Fault, I agree completely.

There's a whole other thread about The Wild...that is not a result of Disney Feature Animation or Pixar Animation.

yolk
01-25-2006, 01:15 AM
I hope ....this will be good thing ...:buttrock:

aaron111
01-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Well, what does it still for DiZney? Pixar is eated, who's the next?

they are strong thoses Zionists, i take sadly my hat off.

I've seen you going off on your anti zionist rants on two Disney/Pixar threads now. Obviously English isn't your first language so I'll just pretend meant you say something that actually made sense and wasn't totally insane.

gonchelas
01-25-2006, 01:34 AM
I have but one thing to say...BENEFFIT OF THE DOUBT!

JackZhang
01-25-2006, 01:44 AM
business is money, money is business. however, art is art, and is art only. if pixar keeps its own art unity, i think it doesnt matter that much. yes. we call it pixar no more, instead of another name (apparently a bad name), but that's just name changing. however if disney decides to crew-replacing pixar and starts to make another shyt like chicken little......... I will probably spend the rest of my life renting adult porn. :scream:

timkallok
01-25-2006, 01:51 AM
At first, I was really discouraged by the news... but after hearing that Jobs and Lasseter are going to be leading the animation department(s?), I dont really think that anybody has anything to worry about. I mean, come on, do you think that if Jobs or Lasseter or any of the people at Pixar thought that bad was going to come from the deal, that they would have went through with it? Have Faith, thats all I can say...

ArtisticVisions
01-25-2006, 02:03 AM
Ah, damn... this news just totally kills my day. :sad:

Oh, well. Let's hope for the best.

JIII
01-25-2006, 02:17 AM
Don't be silly y'all. Jobs got bent over the barrel for years, from leaving apple to starting NeXt, he really got it up the arse. He came back to Apple, has spent the last 9 or so years totally turning things around. Even Apple's market share is going up now, 4.5 percent at the latest I hear, he's consolidating control of the digital entertainment industry. Jobs knows what it's like to get it up the keister, and he doesn't much like it, and hasn't let anyone do it to him for about 10 years, believe it or not, apple has been turning around for almost that long, since 1997 to be exact. Jobs isn't going to let anything bad happen now.

Just my 2 cents,

-John

strangerthings
01-25-2006, 02:26 AM
Adobe buys Macromedia
Autodesk buys Alias and Discreet
Disney buys Pixar

Microso t

only an f to go!!!

look out softimage - Hold they owned and sold that already...

eyeon fusion?

Peddy
01-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Adobe buys Macromedia
Disney buys Pixar

Microso t

only an f to go!!!

eyeon fusion?

holy obscure unrelated anagram batman!

rblitz7
01-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Adobe buys Macromedia
Disney buys Pixar

Microso t

only an f to go!!!

eyeon fusion?

and dont forget the WB merging with UPN, lol, I saw it on tv.

MacRonin
01-25-2006, 02:39 AM
Pixar President Ed Catmull will serve as President of the new Pixar and Disney animation studios, reporting to Iger and Dick Cook, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. In addition, Pixar Executive Vice President John Lasseter will be Chief Creative Officer of the animation studios, as well as Principal Creative Advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering, where he will provide his expertise in the design of new attractions for Disney theme parks around the world, reporting directly to Iger.

WDFA all your bases belong to Pixar!

Ernest Burden
01-25-2006, 02:47 AM
Microso t
only an f to go!!!

Quite clever!

Microsoft - Autodesk - Disney

I see a trend.

One reason to 'brown-nose' Pixar is they do great work, all the time. They have kept creativity in kids' movies, Disney is hit-or-miss and everything they touch has to get 'Disnified'. Another reason to dislike Disney is that they are lousy to work for. I've turned down projects they were the end client on (I'm in arch-vis) because they want all rights to everything forever. I did render and animate parts of their next ship because they forgot to put the deal-wth-the-devil papers in front of me. Its known in the community of production artists that one term used by artists who work in-house for them is Mouseswitz.

The contrast (work environment at least) to Pixar couldn't be greater. From all accounts its a great place for creatives to work. A number of their top directing, designing and storyboard people have been giving lectures for kids at NYs MOMA museum, I took my animator son. They have made Pixar sound like a great place to work. And they have plenty of new things in the works, though they wouldn't talk about anything past Cars.

Maybe everything will be just swell, but there is reason to fear the mouse.

yolao
01-25-2006, 02:48 AM
i personally don`t like that disney will own pixar, now disney may be in the position of impose his ideas instead of leaving pixar do the creative job..

i just hope that pixar remain the same no matter what...i just love pixar movies to much.
either way i hope that just good things comes out about all this..

Kion
01-25-2006, 02:55 AM
i personally don`t like that disney will own pixar, now disney may be in the position of impose his ideas instead of leaving pixar do the creative job..

i just hope that pixar remain the same no matter what...i just love pixar movies to much.
either way i hope that just good things comes out about all this..

you forgett that Steve jobs is now the Majority Share holder at disney. I can see jobs taking the chairman position and Iger at president which will work out nicely. This new deal will be great for Disney and Pixar

Chris Bacon
01-25-2006, 03:05 AM
Ah well...we can only hope that everything works out....

andy_maxman
01-25-2006, 03:08 AM
some one posted this earlier....thougt it was kind of cute....hehe

http://babystudio.free.fr/fun/newlogo.jpg

rocarpen
01-25-2006, 03:12 AM
you forgett that Steve jobs is now the Majority Share holder at disney. I can see jobs taking the chairman position and Iger at president which will work out nicely. This new deal will be great for Disney and Pixar

NOT majority shareholder. He owns 7% of Disney. He is the single largest shareholder. There's a very important differnce there (7% is not 51%).

MrPositive
01-25-2006, 03:26 AM
Read my lips, they ain't touching Pixar. If they do, then they've failed. The only meddling in Pixar, Disney will accomplish, is providing them with more funds for figuring out 3D problems such as hair, water, skin, etc.......and better computers, render farms, etc. Creative wise....hahaha they wouldn't dare, considering their astronomical inferiority the past ten years. Seriously, Disney just made the smartest move in the history of business entertainment by latching on to a flying bird while freefalling.

In an obtuse way, did Lucas just save the late great Disney from a slow disintegration?

ThommyBoy
01-25-2006, 03:32 AM
Pixar and Disney have two very different philosophies towards artists, producers , and sticking to the the story.

There is a simple reason Disney is doing poor in aniamtion and needed to buy Pixar as a bussiness, and hopefully they understand that Pixar knows what they are doing and will "let them" do what they do best, but having 5 yrs at the MOUSE, I doubt they will.

Sadly I believe, it will all change for the worse[but I hope I am wrong!], and we will see Mr. Incredible breking out into the "At Moment" song in The Incredibles 2.

HMOG!

Thom

behzad
01-25-2006, 03:46 AM
It will be all about money making and not about talent, look forward people to the decline of quality of animation produced by pixar. Oh did i say that the name pixar will vanish with time.

Meaty
01-25-2006, 04:01 AM
It will be all about money making and not about talent, look forward people to the decline of quality of animation produced by pixar.

Well, that's capitalism. But don't worry too much. Pixar tends to make movies that, umm... sell really damn well BECAUSE they are created by people with talent. That is why Disney bought them. And don't forget, for almost the entire existance of Pixar, they have been in a strategic relationship with Disney, and Pixar was making great movies then.

I am encouraged that this is a "stock buyout" and not a merger. The difference being that in a merger, A buys B and B dissapears. In a stock buyout, A buys B and both remain as different operating entities but they are a singular financial entity. This means that the CEO of Disney probably has very limited power if no power at all over Pixar. Only the board of directors have power over Pixar.

Shaderhacker
01-25-2006, 04:37 AM
Some of you guys still don't seem to get it.

All major decisions are handled by the heads of each studio. Lasseter is now the head of all the creative animation at Disney and Pixar. What does that mean? It means there is no influence by any imaginary head from Disney (since its Lasseter and Catmull). If things go south, you can only blame them..

-M

Salaadin
01-25-2006, 05:06 AM
in this business noting is strange !!..what was more shocking than ALIAS being acquired by Autodesk..i mean in few years don't be surprised if MICROSOFT acquired both Autodesk and Disney..so its all about business, and that is the only way to survive. i believe as long as the quality is good then success comes along but is not the other way around..
we are all big fans of pixar, but disney has been around before pixar was even written down..so im sure there must be some good news for both of them from this extremely predicted accusation....

kpo
01-25-2006, 05:30 AM
I think this is a brilliant move by Disney. It will be getting the creative genius of Pixar at a time it really needs help. I absolutely love Pixar and I'm sure nothing will change in their creative processes, they will continue to make superb movies while helping Disney develop their own creative departments, and hopefully eventually the two will make great stories together! :thumbsup:

Rick May
01-25-2006, 06:01 AM

Just for the record. Steve Jobs is now the largest shareholder of Disney. Not the Majority Shareholder. Big difference.

I'm disappointed about Pixar and Disney becomming one. I would of liked to see Disney right its ship without Pixar. Now if they do well, it will be because of Pixar. If Pixar has a bad movie, it will because Disney got in the way. No win.

Ollie_T
01-25-2006, 06:08 AM
After hearing of the sale of Pixar to Disney, I made a desktop of what I thought. Let me know what you think. Poor Mike W.
1024 x 768 desktop (http://www.strutyourreel.com/temp/dixar.jpg)

http://www.strutyourreel.com/temp/dixar_small.jpg

mlmiller1983
01-25-2006, 06:12 AM
I'm disappointed about Pixar and Disney becomming one. I would of liked to see Disney right its ship without Pixar. Now if they do well, it will be because of Pixar. If Pixar has a bad movie, it will because Disney got in the way. No win.

Disney would be stupid if they started telling Pixar how to make their films but you are right. Pixar hasn't made a bad movie, yet, and if they start to make them after this deal well we all know why. I dredd the thought of an Incredibles sequel with Disney pulling the strings.
This could turn out to be really good for both companies but only time will tell.

mlmiller1983
01-25-2006, 06:17 AM
After hearing of the sale of Pixar to Disney, I made a desktop of what I thought. Let me know what you think. Poor Mike W.
1024 x 768 desktop (http://www.strutyourreel.com/temp/dixar.jpg)

http://www.strutyourreel.com/temp/dixar_small.jpg

LMAO!! I love it. When they do make a Monsters Inc sequel(knowing Disney they will) it probably be along the same lines of what just happened now, smaller company getting bought by bigger company. Who knows.

Ollie_T
01-25-2006, 06:30 AM
LMAO!! I love it.
Thank you. Much appreciated ;)

Lorecanth
01-25-2006, 06:46 AM

All major decisions are handled by the heads of each studio. Lasseter is now the head of all the creative animation at Disney and Pixar. What does that mean? It means there is no influence by any imaginary head from Disney (since its Lasseter and Catmull). If things go south, you can only blame them..

-M

That was the silliest statement I've heard. CEO's are governed by shareholders. I think everyone forgets the major gaffs by disney SHAREHOLDERS in the past ....like paying out 150 mil to an exec who worked less than a year. Or the one they're about to make when they're going to be worried about flooding the market with too much animation and lay off all the people at circle 7.

SteveV
01-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Coincidentally I've just finished re reading "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs" last week, a must read for anyone interested in Pixar. It has a whole chapter on the very formation of the animation/3D company and follows it's development, from it's simple digital painting days with Alvi Ray Smith and Edwin Catwell to the birth of it's 3D graphics in New York and it's move to Lucas and right through to the Jobs buy out, and the Disney side too. Plus... all the intrigue of the backroom dealings, and there's lots of dirt on Steve Jobs as well, weather it's true or not will always be a mystery

jeremybirn
01-25-2006, 07:04 AM
I think everyone forgets the major gaffs by disney SHAREHOLDERS in the past ....like paying out 150 mil to an exec who worked less than a year.

It was Micheal Eisner who hired Ovitz under those terms.

He got it signed without even consulting his own board of directors, much less putting the package to a shareholder vote. Seriously, have you ever even heard of a shareholder vote specifying executive compensation??

-jeremy

aliasali
01-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Pixar,on his own,were an individual great talented group! i dont see anypoints why they did this,money?

Shaderhacker
01-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Or the one they're about to make when they're going to be worried about flooding the market with too much animation and lay off all the people at circle 7.

:rolleyes:

-M

Shaderhacker
01-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Pixar,on his own,were an individual great talented group! i dont see anypoints why they did this,money?

LOL! I'm sure Steve Jobs needed the money...:rolleyes:

-M

Rick May
01-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Disney would be stupid if they started telling Pixar how to make their films but you are right. Pixar hasn't made a bad movie, yet, and if they start to make them after this deal well we all know why. I dredd the thought of an Incredibles sequel with Disney pulling the strings.
This could turn out to be really good for both companies but only time will tell.

Well. I was kind of playing the part of what a lot of people will be saying. I.e. If Pixar produces a stinker, people will say "well, it's because they are owned by Disney now!!". Not that I would say that or think that way. Because I wouldn't. Just reflecting what I bet a whole lot of people would be thinking.

pearson
01-25-2006, 08:02 AM

-MI know you're a fan of Disney, but you have to admit that something has been broken, or at least bent, over there. Changing one guy at the top doesn't guarantee that the change will filter down to the needed levels. If Disney is like any other work place, there are tons of little fifedoms and power hungry people squabling over the pettiest stuff. If Lasseter gets too much resistence, he could be rendered pretty ineffective.

Hopefully these changes will result in both companies churning out great movies, but the success or failure can't be attributed to just one or two guys at the top.

By the way, Jeremy, were you guys told that the deal was coming, or did you have to find out from the internet? Is everybody there pretty positive about it all?

-Sai-
01-25-2006, 08:06 AM
RTPR!!!

Read The Press Release:banghead:

look I thikn this is one big ****ing good new.. According to their press release, Pixar is leading Animation and Creative side while Disney is making monkey with their theme parks and distributing the film.

ninjacore
01-25-2006, 09:29 AM
the last good thing by dishney was Aladdin. in 1992.

we all know it.

i wonder if a Pixar channel on TV will come out of this?

dalmanna
01-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Not sure what my take is on this. Disney straight to video movies has to stop. IMHO Pixar has a certain class most studios don't have. It would be a shame to see it stop because of this merger. I can remember a time when I used to think that same about Disney. As long as they stick to original stories I have know quarrels. I would like very much so to think of Disney as I once did.

Damn right! I think people (on here especially) have forgotten what disney stands (stood) for. if lasseter gets back in there it should all return to to the 'Walt' way of doing things, well fingers crossed

dalmanna
01-25-2006, 09:44 AM

we all know it.

i wonder if a Pixar channel on TV will come out of this?

:surprised Did you not see Mulan? or Tarzan (yes i know phil bloody collins but the film was cool) or more recently treasure planet and lilo and stitch were actually cool. infact anything with Glen Keane's (guy who invented the way tarzan moves and did sweet animation on long john silver in treasure planet) magic touch is pretty damn awesome. i think people were too 'into' the matrix shite to actually care.(didn't mind the first one, rest were dire :curious: )

though i guess it's a matter of opinion or the fact that i've watched nothing but disney animated movies (and pixar too) my whole life :)

dalmanna
01-25-2006, 09:48 AM
I know you're a fan of Disney, but you have to admit that something has been broken, or at least bent, over there. Changing one guy at the top doesn't guarantee that the change will filter down to the needed levels. If Disney is like any other work place, there are tons of little fifedoms and power hungry people squabling over the pettiest stuff. If Lasseter gets too much resistence, he could be rendered pretty ineffective.

Hopefully these changes will result in both companies churning out great movies, but the success or failure can't be attributed to just one or two guys at the top.

By the way, Jeremy, were you guys told that the deal was coming, or did you have to find out from the internet? Is everybody there pretty positive about it all?

Dude you say that changing one guy at the top won't guarantee a change but look what happened when walt died!! and as lasseter is the walt of today its gotta get better (can't get much worse) i still have faith in the mouse even if few else here do.

DonDon
01-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Oh God whats going on int the world

Autodesk aquires alias
Disney aquires Pixar

whats next Ford company declaring bank rupcy??

dunkelzahn
01-25-2006, 10:34 AM
I have followed the thread so far and I believe one very important detail has been left aside. Did any of you see, that Steve Jobs will now be on Disney´s board of directors as an independent member. This man just got the 10 million he invested in founding Pixar dollars back more than a dozen times. This guy is one cunning bastard and I believe he will be the one pulling the strings behind Disney/Pixar in the coming months.

...Interesting...

Headless
01-25-2006, 10:57 AM

we all know it.
What about The Lion King (1994).

dalmanna
01-25-2006, 10:58 AM
RTPR!!!

Read The Press Release:banghead:

look I thikn this is one big ****ing good new.. According to their press release, Pixar is leading Animation and Creative side while Disney is making monkey with their theme parks and distributing the film.

woo you the man!!!

alexx
01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
hmm.. as long as the characters in the movies dont start singing all is fine ...

phonicsmonkey
01-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Hmm, thats a shame. I was looking forward to the contracy with Disney ending because Pixar had said that once this happened they were looking to put different stuff out there, not following the same Disney-esque formula. Ah well I guess its good that Pixar has a good financial backing, lets just hope we dont see that many more 'buddy' movies and maybe Disney will be a little more adventurous and decide to go ahead with projects that are a little different from the norm, I'd hate Pixar to get pigeonholed into the 'just for kids' catergory as Disney has over the years.

SteveV
01-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Stev Jobs might have intially bought Pixar for 10 million, but it was 50 million in the hole before it started to come good with the Disney deal in 1990-91-92, so lets re look at that figure and call it 60 million that he had to sink into it.

dalmanna
01-25-2006, 12:10 PM
What about The Lion King (1994).

yeah now your talking someone who likes disney

Slurry
01-25-2006, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=ninjacore]the last good thing by dishney was Aladdin. in 1992.

we all know it.
QUOTE]

Emperor's New Groove [2000].

Watch it. Love it.

Hordak
01-25-2006, 12:57 PM
I don't like pixar being bought by disney because of that simple fact that whatever the companies being bought by disney makes after they are bought, will have a "disney feel" to it.
I like seeing how different companies get different audience and gives a wider field of insperation, to me and everybody else. Whatever disney makes... you can just tell it's disney.. I was looking foward to a non disney-stained pixar movie... but alas...

Disney today, is just a big company that buys up all the competition instead of competing against them. Disney has done alot for animation, but now they are just spitting out whatever makes money and some may say that's what it's all about, but I don't agree.
Let's play some monopoly!

dunkelzahn
01-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Stev Jobs might have intially bought Pixar for 10 million, but it was 50 million in the hole before it started to come good with the Disney deal in 1990-91-92, so lets re look at that figure and call it 60 million that he had to sink into it.

Okay, but he got his money back with a big bonus. And let´s not forget the fact that he is head exec of two (Apple+Disney) big corporations.

CGSisdead
01-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Ok.
I've read a couple of posts now, saying they don't understand the hatred towards Disney or they don't see why Disney is a bad company. Others don't think that it is all about the Money.
While on the one hand, Disney is responsible for so much great movies that brought joy and happiness to generations of kids worldwide, one the other hand there are nowadays generations of kids who suffer from this movies.
Ever heard about a thing called sweatshops?
Disney is one of the biggest sweatshop companys in the world. Ever wonder where those fancy merchandise stuff comes from?
Take a look at some of Mickey's other activities:

link 1 (http://www.nlcnet.org/campaigns/shahmakhdum/)

link 2 (http://www.cleanclothes.org/companies/06-01-public_eye.htm)

link 3 (http://www.maquilasolidarity.org/campaigns/disney/report.htm)

link 4 (http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/SweatShops/SweatShops.html)

And if it isn't all about money for Disney, why do they use child abuse and cheap labour for their products? They are making millions if not billions with merchandise and it costs them virtually nothing!
I love Pixar. And I was most pleased when I heard years ago that they are going to get rid of the publishing contract with Disney, becoming independent and getting away from this large multi with its most questionable methods. It's the right decision to leave a company who has no place at all for morals and ethics.
But now it saddens me to hear that they are becoming a substantial part of all this.
It's just terrible...my opinion. :sad:

jason_alphonso
01-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Arrghh!!
This is not happening....

mummey
01-25-2006, 02:23 PM
I don't like pixar being bought by disney because of that simple fact that whatever the companies being bought by disney makes after they are bought, will have a "disney feel" to it.

ABC and ESPN have a "Disney-feel" to them?

dbates
01-25-2006, 02:33 PM
I haven't read all 16 pages, but: Where has the Monopolies and Mergers Commission been? Autodesk/Alias, Adobe/Macromedia, now Disney/Pixar. Hmmph. . . long live Blender and the GIMP.

mlmiller1983
01-25-2006, 02:47 PM
hmm.. as long as the characters in the movies dont start singing all is fine ...

Amen to that!!

Brndt
01-25-2006, 02:49 PM
When will the business people learn that bigger is not better in terms of a company. Warner bros. found this out when they bought aol and their stock crashed.

If we are lucky it will be like Fox and Bluesky. Fox realized that Bluesky was successful and decided not to mess with them and let them continue with their independence.

Lingolas
01-25-2006, 03:04 PM
I totally agree with M.E.L, what you said is true.
To be honest, I'm a huge fan of these two animation studios and I mean it. The two of these cartoon-making titans were successful in those days when the first computer-animated hit 'Toy Story' was released. As the relationship continues, Pixar has spawned more incredibly successful films together with Disney. Furthermore, I think what John Lasseter said is true, Disney- ...okay, Walt Disney has inspired us (even me) to go for animation. If it weren't for Walt and his mouse, animation wouldn't have existed by now.
We don't have to give in whether which studio makes more money, we'll just have to see which studio makes more animated features! Ha-ha!
But people, think about it...if no one buys Pixar, who will? I'm not trying to say that money is more important, but that's the fact. If Pixar don't make money, how will they ever produce animated features again? Makes me sad...

Animation makes the world go round. Doesn't matter if it's in the form of 2 or 3 dimensional. :)

Shaderhacker
01-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Changing one guy at the top doesn't guarantee that the change will filter down to the needed levels.

I disagree. The top man says what goes. It's just like getting rid of Eisner and watching Disney blossom again. Trust me, the big-wigs definitely make the difference. It's not the artists.

If Lasseter gets too much resistence, he could be rendered pretty ineffective.

From whom that's below him? He's the creative boss.

Then you don't blame Eisner for all the cheap sequels or silly originals (Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, etc..) and the lost relationship between Pixar and Disney a few years back then?

-M

MoonVisionStudio
01-25-2006, 03:07 PM

And a job is just a job

Unless it's a Steve Job

Well then you wont have a problem quitting your animation gig and becoming an accountant like you said up thread.

Here is a word of caution. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to make every single film a blockbuster. Inevitably Pixar will make a few films that are not that great, I hope that people dont immediately blame Disney for this.

It is true that Disney needs Pixar, but overall it should be a mutually beneficial venture.

Kwe
01-25-2006, 03:21 PM
*sigh* i was hoping Pixar would break it's ties with Disney...

...Pixar could do great things if they let them, but i think Pixar being at Disney greatly limits Pixar's potential.

mlmiller1983
01-25-2006, 03:26 PM
It is extremely difficult if not impossible to make every single film a blockbuster.

Pixar made it look so easy though. Probably why Disney wanted to work with them and then eventually buy them.

Sagii
01-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Wow everyone is getting bought out...

Hordak
01-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Ok.
I've read a couple of posts now, saying they don't understand the hatred towards Disney or they don't see why Disney is a bad company. Others don't think that it is all about the Money.
While on the one hand, Disney is responsible for so much great movies that brought joy and happiness to generations of kids worldwide, one the other hand there are nowadays generations of kids who suffer from this movies.
Ever heard about a thing called sweatshops?
Disney is one of the biggest sweatshop companys in the world. Ever wonder where those fancy merchandise stuff comes from?
Take a look at some of Mickey's other activities:

link 1 (http://www.nlcnet.org/campaigns/shahmakhdum/)

link 2 (http://www.cleanclothes.org/companies/06-01-public_eye.htm)

link 3 (http://www.maquilasolidarity.org/campaigns/disney/report.htm)

link 4 (http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/SweatShops/SweatShops.html)

And if it isn't all about money for Disney, why do they use child abuse and cheap labour for their products? They are making millions if not billions with merchandise and it costs them virtually nothing!
I love Pixar. And I was most pleased when I heard years ago that they are going to get rid of the publishing contract with Disney, becoming independent and getting away from this large multi with its most questionable methods. It's the right decision to leave a company who has no place at all for morals and ethics.
But now it saddens me to hear that they are becoming a substantial part of all this.
It's just terrible...my opinion. :sad:

I actually never thought about disney being like this , but ofcourse like most major american/ westernworld companies , they make money out of other peoples misery... a cartoon studio... :sad: Long live the free world..
We need some new companies for a new world and if disney can't do it like Walt did, then they shouldn't be called disney. It is so sad to see them buy out the competition, cause that's what Pixar is on they're own... great competition

Let's play some monopoly!

ExKArt
01-25-2006, 04:05 PM
I do not think this is a bad thing. I don't get it, Disney has been working with Pixar in past movies, I doubt the future ones will be bad.

Hooch
01-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Oh boy, I wanted so bad that Pixar got rid of Disney and finally see it as an independent company... :sad:

but now, get ready to see Woody, Nemo and the others singing boring songs
every five minutes! :D

I'm really hoping that never happen!

ntmonkey
01-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Saying that Pixar is going to get ruined by Disney is saying that I'm going to buy a Porche and convert it to a POS, because I'm used to driving a POS. Guys, did anyone watch the conference with Iger and Jobs? Iger wants Pixar to come in and change how things are going, not the other way around. It is the same reason Lasseter brought on Brad Bird to shake things up. Remember, Iger doesn't mind being in the backseat as long as things are running fine for Disney. I'm sure these powerhouses of media can handle business a lot better than our opinionated asses can.

peace,

Lu

mudgift
01-25-2006, 06:08 PM
I will only do it "Ultima Online emote" styles :

*looking at a star filled sky*
- We now, artists and dreamers, seeing the dream being selled.
* looking at his feet, the one begin the cry and go*

ok, i'm doing it heavy style but its how i feel right now...maybe it will be more relax....later....

daddyo
01-25-2006, 06:25 PM
I don't blame Disney for what it's become in recent years, I blame Eisner...
Disney's lost it's creative juice under all its corporate bloat (Chicken Little was actually not bad, I thought), and so it has to buy it from someone else. I don't see how Pixar would ever have a need for disney's ditribution power at this point, but then again, I don't have an MBA. I would seem to me that Pixar had just about spread its wings, and that the studio's work had enough recognition to be instant hits... Honestly, where does Disney bring value from Pixar's point of view? Maybe from their experience in manufacturing merchandise for cheap in asian sweatshops...

I don't know all the ins and outs, but I suspect it has more to do with a few people at the top getting much richer than they already are. I just hope Renderman doesnt become MacOS only...

Capel
01-25-2006, 06:36 PM
In an obtuse way, did Lucas just save the late great Disney from a slow disintegration?

and of course, someone has to bring GL into this.... geez, give me a break. in a "round about way" didn't he invent the wheel too?

ANYWAY, my only concern is that i hope John Lasseter's talents and genius aren't spread too thin between the two studios. i mean, there's only so much to go around....

cybernaut
01-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Funny, I always thought Pixar would swallow up Disney.

let see:
Disnar
Dixar
Pixney
Pisney
.......?

Slurry
01-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Dixie Piss?

What is this game? I'm not sure but I think I won. What's my prize!?

Art

Likesyrup
01-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Hopefully the culture that has made Pixar thrive and succeed stays intack and that it filters over to Disney instead of the other way around they have totally lost sight of what Disney was and have started becoming more of a marketing giant than that of the one that we all feel in love with as children. What ever the case I wish the both of them luck and hope that this merger benefits them both and that they are able to still bring us stories that make us laugh cry and feel something truly genuine.

younglion
01-25-2006, 07:06 PM
well after disney produced a bunch bad animated movies as compared to pixar i was inevitable that this was going to happen.