PDA

View Full Version : Reactor and "Push" for Pinball animation? Help please

MissouriMedic
01-21-2006, 06:13 AM
I'm working on an animated pinball table, and need help with what is probably a very basic question. I want to simulate the ball forcefully bouncing off of the bumpers (actually accelerating, rather than merely bouncing). I thought I could use the "Push" space warp, but when I bind it to the ball, the ball suddenly stops recognizing the meshes and falls through the table.

I've tried setting the elasticity very high, but it's not good enough.

Can someone please tell me how to make the ball ricochet off the bumpers and accelerate, as if it's being shot away from them?

Sorry if this is a real newb question... I'm an experienced modeller, but the animation thing is new to me, especially as it pertains to Reactor simulations.

Thanks very much in advance!

intovidfilm2
01-21-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm new to animating as well, but first thing that comes to mind here is a Dynamics type of system with active and passive (soft/rigid)bodies.

MissouriMedic
01-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry... I should have clarified: I've already created the rigid body simulation. The ball rolls around appropriately. The problem comes when it hits the bumpers. In a real pinball machine, the ball will then shoot rapidly away from these bumpers.

I tried setting the elasticity very high on the bumpers, hoping that the ball would ricochet away properly, but even at it's highest setting (5.0) it didn't even come close to responding as I'd hoped.

I'm assuming that the steel ball should be a rigid body with a very low or non-existant elasticity.

Should I be manually animating the couple of frames in which it shoots away? Just move the ball by hand a couple of frames and then allow reactor to resume? As I understand it, reactor will then recognize the ball's velocity and pick up where I tell it to, simulating the sudden acceleration of the ball...? Not sure if I'm explaining this well, or whether it will work... but there has to be a much easier way to let reactor handle it for me and to properly calculate the proper angles of the bounce, rather than doing it by hand!

I thought that push would work. It's supposed to handle particles and dynamics... but it doesn't seem to work with reactor, unless I'm overlooking something.

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2006, 11:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.