PDA

View Full Version : fR network render for animation?

pygoh
01-21-2006, 04:26 AM
Hi

Is it possible to network render out frames for animations using 1 licence of fR (with the help of NET)?

Peter

fluffouille
01-21-2006, 06:55 AM
No, the distributed rendering distributes processes on the same image. If you want to render out one image on each computer, you'll need several licenses.

pygoh
01-21-2006, 07:35 AM
As far as i understand, there's a 10 cpu limit for Distributed Rendering, but I wonder if I need 1 licence for each of the render server for Network Rendering (for animations).

I read a few months back (just before fR2 was released) that there's a possibility of using NET to distribute each frame to the individual render server with only 1 licence of fR.

Peter

dann_stubbs
01-21-2006, 12:07 PM
As far as i understand, there's a 10 cpu limit for Distributed Rendering, but I wonder if I need 1 licence for each of the render server for Network Rendering (for animations).

I read a few months back (just before fR2 was released) that there's a possibility of using NET to distribute each frame to the individual render server with only 1 licence of fR.

Peter

there is not really a limit to DR - just one license includes 10 DR seats, so 2 licenses allow for 20 DR seats etc... there will be a point of dimishing returns with this as the DR will get bogged down with so much data transfer

for using NET you need 1 license for each NET client to work - so as it is right now i guess you could use 1 NET client with your NET server. add another FR2 render license and you can use 2 NET clients etc... and so on...

i've never seen the possibility of using NET to distribute each frame with only 1 license of FR. if you can point out information it would be interesting to read - but i'm pretty sure it must just be a misunderstanding or a mis-statement (or perhaps just confusion to the issue since you say that was before FR2 was released)

i've not yet added FR2 to my renderfarm due to the cost and so far no requests for it. i think many are getting by with the DR for smaller stuff and that many are still learning about it - oh yeah, and WAITING for the mac version ; )

dann

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2006, 12:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.