PDA

View Full Version : Is this the proper method to hold a pose?(Not a moving hold)

intovidfilm2
01-21-2006, 01:52 AM
Imagine there are the 3 poses as shown in the picture.

At the second pose, instead of just having the interpolation, I desire to have the arm stay in the bent position and fairly rapidly(not as rapid as step tangents) transition to pose 3.

Is the proper method to acheive this with flat, broken, weighted tangents? I made the key on pose 2 flat and broken, weighted and then scaled the right side tangent between pose to and 3 to be as flat as possible for the remainder of the hold. near the end there was a fairly rapid transition to pose 3.
(EDIT: The issue with this was having to jog the timeline to see where the tangent dipped up or down. Only a couple of seconds process, I'm guessing this is normal part of this process, if this process is correct - omg.)

This looks good, but I am not sure if this is proper. For example, I also tried copying and pasting keys from pose one right before pose 2, and this seemed messy and wrong.
(I read the siggraph paper on moving holds, and understand the need not to be a robot, but I do not understand the proper way to achieve such a hold.)

Is this the proper way to do holds in all cases or are there alternatives?

For a really clear example:(2mb cinepak)
http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/old/popThru/moses04_LinearCleanUp.avi

Right at the beginning when he says, "The Lord."
The hand is held high, and transitions, not steps to the next pose.
http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/old/popThru/popThru.html#secondPass
Actually mentioned duping keys like I tried....

Have searched, but "hold" and "pose" turn up a ton of stuff not related:)

Thank you

SirRon
01-21-2006, 07:21 AM
Is the proper method to acheive this with flat, broken, weighted tangents? I made the key on pose 2 flat and broken, weighted and then scaled the right side tangent between pose to and 3 to be as flat as possible for the remainder of the hold. near the end there was a fairly rapid transition to pose 3.
(EDIT: The issue with this was having to jog the timeline to see where the tangent dipped up or down. Only a couple of seconds process, I'm guessing this is normal part of this process, if this process is correct - omg.)

I'm getting lost :shrug: Can you post a screenshot of the graph editor, that'll be easier to see I think.

intovidfilm2
01-21-2006, 04:38 PM
If you are lost, and you know how to animate characters, my hypothesis would be that the method to set a hold is different than what I have here.

Please explain how set a hold, or the various methods on doing so. (Not a moving hold.)
Here are some curve pics attached.

1st thumb is Linear, which is yucky interpolation.
2nd is stepped on the 2nd key which is a direct POP to the 3rd key, no good.
3rd is BROKEN and WEIGHTED tangents on both the 2nd and 3rd keys adjusted to that the curve from the 2nd key stays flat until the movement toward the 3rd key begins in a gradual curve. Both 2nd and 3rd key tangents and weighting were needed.

Thank you!

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2006, 04:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.