PDA

View Full Version : Workflow for rigging subd surfaces with deformers

Bryan Y
01-20-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm learning how to rig characters built from subdivision surfaces. A couple things aren't clear to me from reading various books/tutorials.

I've built a poly mesh for a human head/face, and the intent is to convert it to a subdivision surface. With regard to deformers for animation, I have a few questions:

1) Is it best (or easier) to bind the deformers to the original poly mesh and let the 'history' of the subdivision surface work for you?

2) Or, is it best to bind to the poly proxy mesh? This method would be similar to the above method, except I don't believe you need to retain the 'history' for this method. However, I can only seem to display the poly proxy mesh as a wireframe view, which makes it difficult to 'see' the topology. With the first method, I can select vertices in shaded mode, which is much easier.

3) Lastly, does one typically just bind to the subdivision control points? But they seem to be very difficult to mentally follow with regard to the actual surface.

I prefer method #1, but it doesn't really seem to be what others are doing, so perhaps I'm missing some techniques with regard to the interface which would make method #2 or method #3 easier.

Or, perhaps I have it all wrong and there's a better way?

underearth
01-21-2006, 05:29 AM
i too am looking for answer....

there is one method by using wrap deformer...

but number of times i have seen this workflow is not supported by most of maya and cgtalk users... as it used to be years earlier... i saw this technique in gnomon videos... but that was two year or so back...

but no i am looking for better workflow..

answer might be in creating a low poly mesh and rig the low poly...and it should drive high poly sub-d mesh...

but question still remains.. how...

wait a minute can i skin a sub-d character....(how???)

confusion....

HELP us Out..

DaddyMack
01-21-2006, 10:45 AM
I used to use subds for my characters (I jumped straight to subds from nurbs) now I use polys for everything... Cleaner, more efficient workflows all round in Maya...

My old workflow for subds was to bind the proxy mesh to the skeleton and paint my weights etc onto the proxy mesh as well... I guess driving the subd surface through it's history is nearly the same thing and should work fine... Alias said that their wrap deformer was waay faster now so that may be worth a shot too... basically I'd give each a try and whichever gives the most flexibility/ performance I'd run with...

Good luck!

Bryan Y
01-22-2006, 01:31 AM
I believe I found a solution here: http://www.tutorialsbulletin.com/Tutorial/Dealing-with-slow-results-with-Maya-SubDivision-Surfaces-383.html

It explains how to get your poly proxy mesh to be shaded - which was what I ultimately was after, so that I could select vertices and see the topology effectively.

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2006, 01:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.