PDA

View Full Version : FinalYear _ Individual Project

meisterschiller
01-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Hello everyone,
im a student at the University of Bradford and im very delighted to show you the work ive done during the last 2 months.
Its the second time for me to work on a 2d/3d project and the second time that ive done 3d animations.
I used 3dsMax8, Combustion, Photoshop and Premiere.
I hope youll like it and im looking forward to get some great feedback from you guys...

The movie can be watched or downloaded at www.meisterschiller.de (http://www.meisterschiller.de)
you can either stream it or save it by rightclick and "save target as" (it has about 40 mb)

If there are any problems please let me know and ill see what i can do..

peterT
01-20-2006, 11:27 PM
I really like it. I think the animation is really well done, and it is understandable, though they don't talk.
The only critic I have is that the fly in te beginning, writing out the name, seemed a little edgy.
Besides that, very well done:) did you use box moddeling for the flies? the fat fly is great:)

meisterschiller
01-20-2006, 11:44 PM
hey peter, thx very much for your reply.
im very happy you liked it, it was the major task for me to achieve that everyone would understand whats happening without having them talk...

jeah that beginning is edgy youre right, i used a path constraint for animating the fly along a spline but i couldnt get it more smooth (i should and would have spent more time for it but there was no time because of the deadline.. unfortunatly!)

yes, i used boxmodeling for the lowres versions and then put more detail into in with zBrush.. (i have planned to use normal maps but in the end i didn`t because i had some problems at the animation stage)

the fat fly i my favourite aswell :)

tres
01-25-2006, 02:33 PM
hi, nice movie!
finally seeing your work is great! :thumbsup:
i like the the moment the fly bangs into the window =)

rigging must have benn hell, hm?

jesuislinus
01-25-2006, 02:38 PM
hi franz. as you know i already downloaded the movie. good work! you seem to got the mapping done quiet well.

see you soon on skype....

regards linus

meisterschiller
01-25-2006, 04:55 PM
@ tres:

thx very much.. jeah, the rigging took me quite a while to get it the way i wanted it.. but most of the mouth and proboscis movement is solved by morph-targets.
im happy you liked it :)

@ jesuislinus:

hey linus, i know, and im happy that youre writing me here..
the mapping was horror (the painting in ps), but i got some very good uvw_maps via the pelt-mapping tool in max8..
as you said, c u soon on skype

chuckles3
01-25-2006, 07:51 PM
I really liked the animation.
The 3d work is wery well integrated into the kitchen scene.
I have to try something like that myself.
The pelt mapping tool does look like it will be very useful.
Check out my latest animation at:
http://www.mrsmartypants.ws/Trolls.wmv

Chuck

meisterschiller
01-26-2006, 02:35 PM
hey chuck,

thx very much for your post,
your projects gonna be very funny, but you might think of make the movements more smooth, cause they look kind of edgy..
i like the enviornment like the bridge, the grass and the water.. but when the trolls walking in the water hes not affecting it.. maybe you can change that.
ive never done facial animation for so far and im impressed everytime i see it..
have you done it with morph targets?
keep up the work, i bet its gonna be a funny little short :)

the pelt-mapping tool indeed is very useful.. it saved me a lot of work.
you can find a very useful video tutorial at:
http://download.autodesk.com/media/3dsmax/peltmap_max8_380k.mov

cheers,
franz

chuckles3
01-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Hello Franz:
Yeah , It can be difficult to get smooth motion sometimes. Max 8 has some better tools available. You can use euler curves with the biped, which allows the use of Bezier tangents in the track view for Biped. This was not available when I did that work. I probably wont worry abouyt the edgieness in this piece, but will use those tools in the next one. Really I dont expect to do too much more with this one. I feel like I learned all I could there and will move on to the next project. In order to have the troll interact with the water would have required an animated bump map, possibly or animated displacement mapping. Again, time got to me.
How about you Franz, any plans for new projects?
Chuck

chuckles3
01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
PS
yes morph targets are the way to go. There is a good tutorial in the 3DS max documentation.
Chuck

meisterschiller
01-27-2006, 12:20 AM
hey chuck,
ok then, move on to the next challenge :) i dont know at all how i would have solved the problem with the water, but it sounds difficult..
well, im not quite sure about what i want to do next, but maybe ill start with learning maya, because ive ever wanted to get used to it but never had the time to..
and i started on a female model quite a long time ago which i might gonna keep working on now.. well see :)

jeah, ive seen the tutorial on the morph targets.. i used them for the mouths and the proboscis (well, you cant see very much of it in the movie :) , but anyway they are there..)

its always like that youre putting very much effort into details and then no one will recognize it, but if you wouldnt have those details, everyone would recognize that somethings missing..

hope to see your following work here..
cheers franz

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2006, 12:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.