View Full Version : Game Developers Conference 2006

Sephirothv7
01-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Game Developers Conference 2006
March 20 -24, 2006
San Jose, California

http://www.gdconf.com/

What's Next
Next-gen game development will revolutionize every aspect of the gaming industry. From increased production complexity, team sizes, and budgets to new ways to reach the mass market, GDC:06 will answer the questions critical to the industry's success.

Learn lessons from next-gen, handheld, and current game development, explore collaborations with the film industry and gain access to the people, technologies, and tools that define what's next for our industry.

Conference Highlights
Look for these sessions at GDC:06. They're sure to be standing-room only!

http://www.gdconf.com/

SheepFactory
01-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Wish it was in san francisco this year too :(

JDex
01-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Wish it was in san francisco this year too :(

San Jose is pretty close though, right?

SheepFactory
01-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Its like 45 minute drive from san francisco.

JDex
01-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Well, that's pretty close... does the BART connect the two, or is there a regular bus shuttle?

I ask because I may make it there and want to come up for a San Francisco treat.

SheepFactory
01-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Bart doesnt go there.

You can take the Amtrak train and its like a one hour ride from san francisco to san jose convention center.

in fact i would recommend staying in san francisco and going there with train in the morning than vice versa. San Jose is one of the most boring cities i have seen , you dont want to stay there after the conference is over at 6pm.

JDex
01-21-2006, 12:38 AM
Bart doesnt go there.

You can take the Amtrak train and its like a one hour ride from san francisco to san jose convention center.

in fact i would recommend staying in san francisco and going there with train in the morning than vice versa. San Jose is one of the most boring cities i have seen , you dont want to stay there after the conference is over at 6pm.

Good to know... I'm not sure what degree of control I'll have over the situation... but I'll heed that advice as much as possible. It's all in the air at the moment. Thanks for the input Ali.

nuclearfessel
01-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Bart doesnt go there.

if you live in SF, or are staying there, its Caltrain that you can take... its cheaper than
taking Amtrak...

you can go via BART... you go all the way to Fremont BART station and
then take the 180 VTA Transit bus to san jose caltrain...

hehehe and i absolutely agree with Sheep... San Jose, actually South Bay as a whole, just plain sucks...

JeroenDStout
01-21-2006, 04:54 AM
Who is Bart and why has he, I reason, such a large car?

:D

berice
01-21-2006, 02:17 PM

BART = Bay Area Rapid Transit

Think of it as a subway system / train system that services the SF area, Oakland, and Berkley. Its an okay way to travel, but as stated earlier will not get you to the GDC, in San Jose.

leuey
01-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Well - seeing as how I live halfway inbetween both cities I have to say that San Jose is severely underrated and SF is extremely overrated (maybe the most overrated city on planet earth, IMO). But that being said - you'll probably have more fun in SF. Why not just rent a car and make the drive (go down 280 instead of 101)

-Greg

nuclearfessel
01-21-2006, 07:30 PM

:D

BART = Bay Area Rapid Transit @ http://www.bart.gov

eks
02-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Ok, so the tip is to stay in San Francisco and do the daily CalTrai (http://www.caltrain.org/caltrain_map.html)n (http://www.caltrain.org/caltrain_map.html) travel to San Jose. Any recommendation on a place to stay on San Francisco?

Google Earth shows plenty of options...

We could also do a CGTalk meeting in a bar or something. ;)

eks

JDex
02-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Definitely looking to do some CGTalk group things out there. I'll be demoing Softimage XSI. :thumbsup:

enygma
02-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Man I hope I can go this year. I've been highlighting GDC in my last couple podcasts while making note of the various different sessions and keynotes going on there. I'll be continuing highlighting sessions and events week after week. Would kind of suck doing that and not being able to go since I want to try and get some interviews and stuff there. :buttrock:

I'm just not certain if I'll even get a pass to go, since I applied for a press pass as an analyst.

completelywired
03-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Is anyone here from the San Francisco area? I'm planning to get an Expo Pass package registration and go Thursday night and Friday. I've never been to GDC and would be pretty lost by myself. If there is anyone going on either of those days I would rather be lost with someone than lost by myself. Does anyone want to meet up in San Jose?

bentllama
03-04-2006, 04:45 AM
i won't be hitting it up this year.
have fun.

Spater
03-15-2006, 06:54 PM
I'll be hitting it up this year, is anyone else up for a meet n' greet?

staigerman
03-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Is anyone here from the San Francisco area? I'm planning to get an Expo Pass package registration and go Thursday night and Friday. I've never been to GDC and would be pretty lost by myself. If there is anyone going on either of those days I would rather be lost with someone than lost by myself. Does anyone want to meet up in San Jose?

I'm in San Diego but plan on coming up for GDC. You might see me in the ATI booth. Not sure yet which hours.

Might also be in the booth where the guys from gamedev.net hang out.

I'm all for doing an impromptu gathering and share graphics ideas over a beer or coffee.

robinchyo
03-15-2006, 08:05 PM
I'll be there..begging for a job. :)

SpiralFace
03-15-2006, 08:18 PM
I'll be hitting it up this year, is anyone else up for a meet n' greet?

I'm up for a CG talk meet and greet. if anyone else is interested, whats a good day for everyone who's up for it?

Oh, and to anyone commuteing from SF, its super easy to get to from Caltrains. Be sure to check the Caltrains Schedual and they have "Baby Bullet" trains that get you down there in 30 minutes. The best part is that it drops you off right across the street from the convention center. So its super convienient to get too.

The Caltrains SF station is located at 4th and King. Its about a 15 minute walk from the Metreon, and its right down the street from Pac Bell Park. And yes there are tons of busses that will take you to the station.

Spater
03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Last year we met just before the game developers choice awards. kind of a bad choice. Meeting at a bar might be a bad idea, cause the backwards laws of the US say I can't drink for a few more months.

Does anyone know a good restaurant around the conference area?

Jedd88
03-16-2006, 10:23 AM
San Jose hasn't exactly got the most exciting restuarants. To be honest we usually go to Gordon Biersch which is quite nice - 33 East San Fernando st. Other than that last time (2 years ago) we found a few nice restuarants around 2nd St/San Salvador St- at the back of the Fairmont Hotel.

Hope that helps a little.

SpiralFace
03-16-2006, 06:58 PM
I know there is a micro brewery in the area that had pretty good food. Its marketed as a "family esstablishment," so anyone too young to drink can still go. From what I remember, the food was decent, don't remember the name or where it was, but if anyone that knows the area might know what I'm talking about.

heavyness
03-16-2006, 07:00 PM
everyone i work with will be there... bastards...

Neil
03-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Its like 45 minute drive from san francisco.

Man, that's soo far :cry:

what about the rest of us that are hundreds of miles away? ;)

Spater
03-18-2006, 07:30 PM
I know there is a micro brewery in the area that had pretty good food. Its marketed as a "family esstablishment," so anyone too young to drink can still go. From what I remember, the food was decent, don't remember the name or where it was, but if anyone that knows the area might know what I'm talking about.

might I suggest Friday at 5:30?

barcode
03-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Isn't the Graphic Impact reception and awards show (http://www.gdconf.com/networking/art.htm) the 'official' CGTalk gathering? On that site it says that CGSociety is running this event with CMP.

Also, next year GDC will be returning to San Francisco.

Spater
03-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Isn't the Graphic Impact reception and awards show (http://www.gdconf.com/networking/art.htm) the 'official' CGTalk gathering? On that site it says that CGSociety is running this event with CMP.

Also, next year GDC will be returning to San Francisco.

:banghead:
the hell, my invite is sitting in the goddamned junk mail bin. I'm going to go wake up my roomate and give him a good scolding for that one. Anyrate, yeah, that makes things simple

PaulHellard
03-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Hey there,
Sure would love to be going over for the GDC, but EXPOSÉ 4 is heating up right now and we'll be right in the middle of layout. Perhaps 2007 in San Francisco!!

JeroenDStout
03-19-2006, 01:07 PM
A teacher of mine said the following last class:

"Next week I won't be able to teach you, as I'm attending the GDC. You will have to do without me: For this, I am not sorry - at all."

Bastard :)

Spater
03-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Hey there,
Sure would love to be going over for the GDC, but EXPOSÉ 4 is heating up right now and we'll be right in the middle of layout. Perhaps 2007 in San Francisco!!

you think you can toy with my heart and leave whenever you feel like it? :cry:

barcode
03-21-2006, 09:24 PM
So who has arrived at the conference? I'm here now.

Ed Caracappa
03-21-2006, 11:43 PM
I'm getting in tomorrow morning. I'll be hanging around the Autodesk booth. Stop by and say hello! I'll be the only bald guy with a boxx shirt on...
Ed

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2006, 11:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.