PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop on the PC

chilly
01-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Hey everyone, I have some questions on getting the best performance using a pc and photoshop.

I Very accoustomed to PS on a MAC, but I am having SERIOUS lag issues in regards to using a mouse or tablet on the PC at work.

So here is the problem, If I'm working on a 1024x768 RGB image at most 3 layers, if I paint with my mouse OR tablet i paint for a litlle then the screen re-draw freezes up for a few seconds 20 at most, and then the computer finally catches up.

I have never had this problem with my Mac( not slamming PC's here just need some help )

Tech bits...

I have a dell machine With I think dual Xeon processors 2.8 GHz and 3 Gig of ram and windows XP. My problem is I'm not sure what to put for Virtual memory on the pc, or what other settings in PS to use to handle this lag issue. and Photoshop CS

I am a very new PC user(work), and I normally use a MAC at home...

Thanks guys I appreicate all your help!

Kev

halo
01-20-2006, 08:17 PM
check PS's memory settings...but it should be able to handle that even on default. Pagefile should be set to what the OS wants anyway, so unless thats been altered by someone that will be ok...

very odd...that machine spec should be flying.

wueste
01-21-2006, 03:07 PM
You may check this out ...
>> Helpful Information <<
(http://photoshopnews.com/2005/05/26/memory-allocation-and-usage-photoshop-cs2/)

chilly
01-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys I really appreciate it...I have pretty much done what that file sates...we will see what happens later this week when i start going full bore on another image.

thanks
kev

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2006, 04:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.