PDA

View Full Version : Colors Wrong in Photoshop???

DB3D
01-20-2006, 05:35 PM
I have a digital painting that I used alot of red tones. I recently had to format my comp, so i reinstalled everything. I opened the image up in photoshop cs, and the entire image seems to have been brightened alot causing the reds to be oranges. I thought maybe it was the monitor settings, but when i view the image in windows viewer it has the right colors? So I opened the image on my laptop in photoshop cs and the colors were right. So could the problem be with my video card driver? its a radeon 9800 pro, the latest driver wouldnt work for some reason, so i used a little bit older driver. Or could it be a setting in photoshop? I just tried it in photoshop cs2 and got the same trouble. Thanks for the replies.

MeliHitchcock
01-20-2006, 07:37 PM
I had this exact same problem when I updated my drivers to my video card. I'm not sure of a permanent fix... but what I ended having to do was change the color profile of the actual image itself. For some reason when the driver was updated, the default sRGB color profiles got messed up, forcing me to use my monitors color calibration instead. You might want to try looking through your profiles list to see which one you need to use to restore the proper colors again.

Hopefully that will do it, if not maybe someone else might be able to offer a suggestion.

DB3D
01-20-2006, 07:53 PM
right on, i was on the process of doign this right before you posted. I found the option in cs2 of assign profile, i changed it to like r+90(something like that) and it worked, got my colors back. so now i have to resave all my images with that color setting? that kinda sucks just cuz i changed my videocard driver.

halo
01-20-2006, 09:15 PM
without you posting the profiles your using and your colour management settings i'd say the first place you need to look is the 3rd sticky down from the top of this forum.

it sounds like you both were using a different monitor profile from the one after the driver update/format or your PS settings are different afterwards. Windows defaults to sRGB as its space...but thats a default and it may not represent your monitors actual capability.

in short...establish a good monitor profile by calibration & name it. (and its best to do this every few months because of monitors changing)...dont use this as your working space. Then pick a working RGB space thats device independant...either sRGB, AdobeRGB, AppleRGB or ColourmatchRGB...DO NOT USE YOUR MONITORRGB or MONITOR PROFILE !....most use sRGB, although its not the best space in gamut terms it suits a lot of applications (default windows space, a lot of amatuer cameras use it, the web uses it as a defaulf because windows does etc)...set your profile handling to embed always, and ask if there is a conflict...learn the difference between assign and convert and you should be ok.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 09:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.