PDA

View Full Version : ImagineFX new digital art magazine from Future Publishing

mushroomgod
01-20-2006, 12:55 PM
ImagineFX new digital art magazine from Future Publishing....

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=details&nNewsID=535495

Clanger
01-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Well, I'll certainly give it a go but all these 6 quid magazines are breaking the bank.

Doctor Nick
01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm wondering if it'll be more like Cinefex, otherwise it'll be too close to 3DWorld, right?

talos72
01-20-2006, 05:20 PM
You think 6 quids is bad, try paying $16 plus as we do in the states.

pixelmonk
01-20-2006, 07:35 PM
ImagineFX new digital art magazine from Future Publishing....

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=details&nNewsID=535495

just as one CG magazine dies, another one takes its place. This one will do the same.

williamsburroughs
01-20-2006, 08:13 PM

But isn't 6 quid the same as $15 bucks. :) Sorry couldn't resist.

I wonder when we'll see this mag stateside? The usual 1 month delay...

Leonard
01-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I can assure you that this is not a generalist CG magazine. It's an art magazine aimed specifically at sci-fi and fantasy enthusiasts. The byline for the magazine is "ImagineFX - Fantasy & Sci-Fi Digital Art". The article says "Consumer magazine publisher Future has revealed plans for a new monthly title for fans of sci-fi artwork."

"ImagineFX is the only international magazine to celebrate the exciting and increasingly digital world of underground, sci-fi , fantasy and comic art. Each issue welcomes both new and more experienced artists to a realm where their talent for creating fantasy art is a shared passion... "

I have seen the actual pages and content of the magazine. It looks like an awesome new magazine that is right up my alley. But it's definitely not another "CG magazine" that would compete in any way with Cinefex, CGW or 3D World.

Als
01-21-2006, 01:05 PM
I have an idea.
Go to Siggraph this year.
There you can get almost ALL magazines subscriptions for FREE!!!
All you have to do is get there, but from states, I hope it wouldn't be too expensive...

Al

laureato di arte
01-21-2006, 01:50 PM
seems interesting, the problem with me is that I buy all these mags, edge, computerarts, digit, 3dworld, and i never do get to finish reading them before the next issue comes out.

bobbioafx
01-23-2006, 12:20 AM
Hi all
my name's Rob, and I'm the Editor of ImagineFX. I'd say where the mag differs from other titles out there is that IFX isn't about the industry - it's about the art and the artists. The idea is to bring together a community that is passionate about creating fantasy and sf art (whether professional, amateur, whatever) not to announce movers and shakers, industry news and so on (Computer Arts and 3D World already do this - and much more may I add).

We've tried very hard to showcase large amounts of artwork, showcase known and unknown talents, present workshops in an interesting, yet functional way, and report news concerning artists and issues that matter to them. However, this is not the place to plug - so I will stop.

So in short, we're not competing with the likes of Computer Arts and 3D World, or producing a similar title to split the market. We're just making a magazine to bring together artists who share a fascination with the art of the fantastic.
I'm open to workshop ideas etc from you all, feel free to email or pm me and we'll chat.
All the best
Rob

mushroomgod
01-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi bobbioafx,

has Future improved on its contract for artists and illustrators, or does it still try to grab copyright?

kraal
01-23-2006, 01:07 PM
let me know when i can get one in the US

Chris Thomas
01-23-2006, 01:32 PM
6 GBP = $10.70 at this momment in time, so $16 would be 1/3rd more expensive (ouch).

Usually this works the other way around i.e. in the UK we usually pay 1/3rd more for hardware and software than you do in the US. So consider yourself lucky that you only paying $5 extra for a magazine instead of $1000 extra for a software license as we have to in the UK. And yes that is in real terms, and not because of exchange rate differences or whatever.

Sounds like a great magazine. I'll keep an eye out for it when it hits the shelves.

Cheers

bobbioafx
01-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Hi bobbioafx,

has Future improved on its contract for artists and illustrators, or does it still try to grab copyright?

Hi mushroomgod
we have a number of different contracts for different types of contributors. Of course we realise the importance of artist copyright - and I've always done my best to explain contracts to my contributors down to the last detail if need be. Our contract system is actually very flexible and fair to artists. If you want to email me I'll go through it in more detail :-)

The first issue of the mag should hit US newsstands in around four weeks, maybe a little sooner. I'll find exact dates if I can and post here again.
Cheers!
Rob

mushroomgod
01-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Our contract system is actually very flexible and fair to artists. If you want to email me I'll go through it in more detail :-)

Hi bobbioafx,
good, im glad to hear that. Over the last year the AOI has been in talks with Future over its contracts, maybe its done some good.
I have a good deal of respect for Future (and Emap) publications, ill keep my eyes peeled for the mag when it hits the shelfs.

Doctor Nick
01-23-2006, 09:08 PM
I'll check it out when it hits the stands, sounds cool.

duddlebug
01-25-2006, 03:44 PM
I just stumbled across this thread and wanted to say what a great magazine 'ImagineFX' is! (not just because i'm a bit biased)

I contributed something for the workshop section and received my copy through the post this morning. There's a few familiar forum faces in the magazine... It's certainly different to the other magazines mentioned earlier in the thread and should be right up any CGtalker's street.

I think it's out in the UK tomorrow (?) so go out and buy it!! :)

(For those in the states wondering about prices, there seems to be a good subscription deal for the US)

Clanger
01-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Hmmmm... this is sounding better and better. I've a 3 hour journey Saturday guess what I'm reading :thumbsup:

L.Rawlins
01-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Hi all

my name's Rob, and I'm the Editor of ImagineFX. I'd say where the mag differs from other titles out there is that IFX isn't about the industry - it's about the art and the artists. The idea is to bring together a community that is passionate about creating fantasy and sf art (whether professional, amateur, whatever) not to announce movers and shakers, industry news and so on (Computer Arts and 3D World already do this - and much more may I add).

Rob

Cool. I might have to check this out. Be warned though, start spelling 'IFX' with a small 'i' and you will be ridiculed for trying to be 'trendy'. :p

Ninjamonk
01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
I take it whsmiths will be stocking it tomorrow?

bobbioafx
01-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi Ninjamonk
yep, Smiths will be stocking it from tomorrow. Please let me know what you think!
And thanks Jonny - your work is amazing!
Cheers
Rob

Ninjamonk
01-26-2006, 12:19 AM
http://www.imaginefx.com/

I am suprised there is not poser give away :p

if I manage to get into town on my lunch then I'll let you know tomorrow. otherwise it will be saturday.

cheers

Clanger
01-27-2006, 01:51 PM
I've picked up a copy and scanned through it.
First impression = very good.
I'm saving reading it for that long rail journey I have tomorrow but what I've seen so far I'll be buying more. :thumbsup:

I see it's all digital well, it would be as it says so in the title but I would really like a small itty bitty part of it to cover real paint oil in particular. I can hope, maybe even get Boris to contribute.

Edit:
Just took a better look, Frazetta's already in there so it looks they will cover some traditional, :bounce:

Ninjamonk
01-29-2006, 12:57 AM
I got this today and was pleased. I am considering subscribing like I currently do for 3d world.

however this seems very much geared to hand drawings at the moment. do you plan on adding a cg modelling element to it.

also I hope you guys cover some space ship design stuff.

nice mag.

kromekat
01-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Well I am biased too :thumbsup: , but I must admit, when my copy arrived the other day, I was very impressed with both the styling and content - this IS a unique magazine, and one that I personally hope has a long and interesting career, since it is the first (in my experience) to really 'illustrate' this popular yet cult market! ;)

The funny thing is, I can remember being told by my 'art tutors' in the late 80's, that sci-fi art had had it's day! - I laughed then, and I am still laughing! :scream:

Adam

Agent Vesago
01-31-2006, 03:59 AM
I'm definitely interested in checking this out when it hits the states.

marcoracer
02-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Anyone know when it will hit the news stands in the US? What stores? Borders, perhaps?

-/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\-
02-03-2006, 08:29 PM
http://marketing.futurenet.com/imaginefx/

http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v5|3381|0|0|%2a|v;26509365;0-0;0;5933685;3454-728|90;14612437|14630333|1;;~sscs=%3fhttp://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/store/displayitem.asp?sid=539&id=9499

http://marketing.futurenet.com/__data/assets/file/404543/logo.gif

Mag Cover: link
http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46594

This is a really amazing first issue, the images contained within the magaziine are quite amazing.
The magazine is not just fixed on one particular medium such as 2D images but most of the images which were created did use Photoshop and Painter.
It contains a tutorial on using Bryce 5.5 with Poser 6, included on the DVD along with all the files, and free software. Full software: Project Dogwaffle 1.2 , DAZ Models and Daz Studio 1.0 and demos

Quick Techniques to draw Manga characters.
Drawing the Anatomy for beginners :) (Explanes and shows examples including porportions and poses. )
Q&A section.
And lots of other stuff. including a free A2 size poster.
It's in the UK shops now 6 per issue or you can subscribe .

Ninjamonk
02-03-2006, 11:51 PM
check this out

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=311461

good buy.

-/\-Scott-M-C4D-/\-
02-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Yeah it definately inspires and you even get full size images you can plonk on your desktop ,be that a real poster or the CG ones for wallpaper :)

Quite happy to pay 6 to learn from the masters :)

Leonard
02-04-2006, 02:14 AM
http://marketing.futurenet.com/imaginefx/

Snip

Scott, I've merged your thread with the original news posting about it.

In future, can everyone please check that a thread doesn't already exist before posting?

Thanks,

Leonard

Lunatique
02-04-2006, 07:49 AM
I did a full-length digital fantasy painting tutorial for this magazine, plus a full-length interview. I'm not sure if they're in the current issue or if they're for the next one though. I was very impressed with how professional everyone I worked with were--top quality operation.

kromekat
02-04-2006, 10:23 AM
I did a full-length digital fantasy painting tutorial for this magazine, plus a full-length interview. I'm not sure if they're in the current issue or if they're for the next one though. I was very impressed with how professional everyone I worked with were--top quality operation.

Robert - yes, they are both in issue 1 - a good read they are too! ;)

Adam

kira-hime
02-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Here's hoping it'll be stocked by Barnes and Noble here in the States! :D

Tonik
02-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Excellent magazine. Just what I was looking for - I sometimes find fantasy and scif-fi stuff a bit naff but the quality of tutorials and work generally is amazing. I've just taken out a subscription.

kraal
02-12-2006, 12:47 AM
stilll waiting for us release ... no bookstore claiming they will carry it

RedSquirrel
02-12-2006, 01:35 AM
I was having second thoughts about buying this magazine until I had it in my hands and had skim through it, then went straight to the check-out with a big smile on my face. :D
5.99, a wee bit on the expensive side but worth it for what your getting. My biggest surprise, was to find a poster inside the magazine, lol nice little touch it made me feel like a kid again.
Not going to give to much away:
Lunatique your article and tutorial is pretty darn excellent. :buttrock: There is also matte painting tutorial by Tim Warnock which I found very insightful. Being from Future publishing you can guarantee that ImagineFx has plenty of other tutorials too. The mag host's loads of other artists works. It also has sections for up and coming events happening around the world and reviews on software, hardware and dvds.

If it keeps up this quality I'll keep buying it

marcoracer
02-12-2006, 02:03 AM
stilll waiting for us release ... no bookstore claiming they will carry it

The whole magazine business seems odd to me. I asked at two Borders and neither had a clue if it was coming or not. They only know what they're currently selling. How can they not know what they'll be stocking??? I do know that if it comes, European publications are always a month late here.

We can always just get a subscription.... :shrug:

ecsdesign
02-12-2006, 10:00 AM
any aussies out there know if this is hitting our shores. Future books ussually come pretty late but i havent seen anything resembling it at the local newsagents.

hentsteph
02-12-2006, 04:53 PM
But isn't 6 quid the same as $15 bucks. :) Sorry couldn't resist.

I wonder when we'll see this mag stateside? The usual 1 month delay...

I don't know about US dollars but in Canadian dollars the UK currency is usually double. Aldo here in Montreal we don't pay 12 $ CAN but 20 $ CAN...:cry:

Agent Vesago
02-20-2006, 03:56 AM
Any word on if this is coming to US bookstores?

Agent Vesago
04-03-2006, 06:09 AM
I hate to bring up an old thread but I haven't seen anything on a US release is that still a possibility?

I missed out on the first couple of issues and would like the chance to purchase them if they are going to be released here or maybe a chance to order the back issues.

Roger Eberhart
04-03-2006, 03:21 PM
I bought issue 1 and 2 at Borders.

Agent Vesago
04-04-2006, 02:42 AM
Guess I'll have to look harder next time I'm there.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Lunatique
04-04-2006, 05:24 AM
For those of you that have the first issue of the magazine--I've updated the tutorial painting here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=328111

kraal
04-04-2006, 08:20 AM
The whole magazine business seems odd to me. I asked at two Borders and neither had a clue if it was coming or not. They only know what they're currently selling. How can they not know what they'll be stocking??? I do know that if it comes, European publications are always a month late here.

We can always just get a subscription.... :shrug:

actually i was inventory supervisor at borders for years and magazines are really just there for the sake of being there... like greating cards.... there is really no profit made just a revolving credit with an outside distributor... so bookstores actually can control what magazines come in ect but it involves effort and man power that would be wasted on something that generates no profit. so instead the just keep the packing list of what magazines came in.... ha you really didnt care did you? but i got a copy at borders.

robmorfin
04-07-2006, 04:44 PM
I was able to find issue #1 at a Borders (last one on shelf), I couldn't find the second one anywhere, so I went to Imaginefx.com, and followed the link to buy current issue, it is 9 Euros delivered to anywhere in the world, that may be cheaper than buying it at the bookstores, and the annual subscription is 73.45 Euros to anywhere in the world.

I think this magazine is way much more focus on Digital Artists than any other on the market.

robmorfin
04-11-2006, 04:00 AM
CORRECTION TO MY PREVIOUS POST:

I said Euros, but got my confirmation email noting that "All prices are in UK Pounds Sterling" which means will be $15.00 US, same price as bookstores, I also got this: "Your goods will be delivered within 28 days", so I will have to wait almost a month for my issue #3, luckily I just found at a Barnes & Noble the issue #2 (after looking at two different Borders, they are only getting 5 magazines per bookstore, so they run out right away).

Note: I found the issue #1 under Animation/Film magazines area, the issue #2 I found it at the computer magazines section at Barnes & Noble, try both sections.

kerryh
05-01-2006, 07:55 AM
any aussies out there know if this is hitting our shores. Future books ussually come pretty late but i havent seen anything resembling it at the local newsagents.

I first heard about the mag last week (while looking at the challenge entries) & have since been looking for it around Sydney. I was told today that Borders don't stock it (that's Bondi & the City) and the salesperson had never heard of it - hopefully that will change.

Surprisingly, my local newsagent in Newtown had originally got 3 copies, which were long gone by the time I asked about it. However, they're trying to back order the March issue (apparently the first 1 released over here) and also reserve a copy of the April issue for me from their supplier. If they're as good as everyone says I think I'll subscribe & cut out the middle man!

All the best,

Kerry

rayk
05-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Great mag, I'm really loving it! There is a design mag (computer arts), 3D mag, but there wasn't one for Digital Art (2D stuff) before!

Glad there is one now, I love the posters that come with it. Awsome articles and much inspiration!

6/5 hahah :D

AlyFell
05-01-2006, 03:19 PM
The new edition (May) has a cover by Jason Chan, a tutorial and feature about him as well. Included is a tutorial on speedpainting by ANTIFAN, (Gary Tongue), and there are also many other familiar names from CGSociety.

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2006, 03:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.