PDA

View Full Version : Utility always faster than SDK?

Andrei2k
01-20-2006, 09:22 AM
I know Utilities are among the fastest after straight connection but is a SDK with just two driven faster or slower then a couple utilities like "set range" and "multiply" between two attributes.

I'm linking a facial interface to a facial rig and wondering what the threshold of utilities are before they are better or worse than SDK. It seems like something very difficult to measure and since there a quite some controls on the interface I'm want to avoid saying "what if.... it would have been faster the other way" when I'm all done.

thematt
01-20-2006, 09:47 AM
to my experiance SDK are fast.now i've made facial setup with both sdk and node and haven't really seen any difference in speed.In fact SDK is just a node so I don't think there will slow down thing much compare to nodes such as setRange ect..

cheers

pjohnsen
01-20-2006, 12:46 PM
The SDK would have to do a lookup of the animation curve ... so it depends on the complexity of the curve. If it is just linear the SDK will have to do something like a multiply and an add. So I would think it should be very similar in performance to a set range and multiply node.

-Pelle

Andrei2k
01-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. I actually was considering the lookup myself but have been using Utilities while asking the Q. I'll just stick to Utilities cause I'm confident they'll will work great.

seven6ty
01-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Yeah, SDK may be a tiny bit slower, but not anything very noticeable at all, I'd imagine. Definently not as slow as expressions.

M.E.L.
01-22-2006, 02:55 AM
I know Utilities are among the fastest after straight connection but is a SDK with just two driven faster or slower then a couple utilities like "set range" and "multiply" between two attributes.

I'm linking a facial interface to a facial rig and wondering what the threshold of utilities are before they are better or worse than SDK. It seems like something very difficult to measure and since there a quite some controls on the interface I'm want to avoid saying "what if.... it would have been faster the other way" when I'm all done.

Speed wise... nodes and SDK's run at the same essential speed at the core.

On the note of linking up your facial interface to a facial rig, I'd suggest going with SDK's for this for the simple reason that if your animators aren't happy with a value range or whichever all you're doing is editing your attribute and adjusting your fCurve for your SDK. You don't want to be disconnecting 10-15 nodes just to edit 1 thing and you sure don't want to leave an animator digging through a hierarchy of nodes pulling their hair out just because they want a little more freedom ;)

-s

Morganism
01-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Also, SDK's can essentially do the work of several utility nodes at once, if you're multiplying and adding.

pjohnsen
01-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Yes, an SDK can take the place of several utility nodes, which can often make things more managable.

Just note that performance wise it will not neccesarily be faster. E.g. a 2 node network with a multiply and a plus/minus/average node will be slightly faster than a single SDK. However this should only really matter if you have tons of these in your scene.

-Pelle

Andrei2k
01-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Thank your for everyones responses.

Oh and SHawn I agree with you as far as editability for the animators and normally would consider that. But in this particular case it is better to not offer that freedom to the animators because of the circumstances of the project.

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2006, 11:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.