PDA

View Full Version : Fur animation - what's the best plugin/ software?

Conni
11-30-2002, 07:16 PM
Hi everybody,
at the moment we are planning a short film - live action with a lot of photoreal 3D. One 3D character has long hair/fur. I have never worked before with any hair/ fur software before and I would like to get some information which 3D software and plugin is best for the given task. The hair has to be able to react to dynamics, like wind, and it also has to have a collision detection.
At the moment I don't know what plugin /software to chose - I thought about Shave and a hair cut for Maya, Lightwave and Shag hair for 3DS Max.
Any insight in this matter is appreciated!!
-Cornelius

Nicool
11-30-2002, 11:19 PM
Hye,
I've already heard that in Maya, curves can be sprites and on the curves, you can assign a hair texture... Curve can be dynamic object (wind and collision able)

Simle elements to help you... Sorry

alyssonb
12-24-2002, 10:12 PM
The best software for fur animation!...
Maya
I don't know about other software (comercial Software)

Phearielord
12-27-2002, 10:16 AM
Though the fur in Maya is very good, I think it only works well with relatively short hair, not long flowing ones.
And the person wouldn't neccessarily want to buy Unlimited if they're only going to use fur a few times.
XSI's fur tools looks really good, especially for long hair.
But once again, look at the price.
I would say go with Shave and a Haircut.
It is fairly cheap, and really good.

nemirc
12-27-2002, 12:01 PM
I usually use PaintFX to make the hair.
You can attach the curves to any softbody or something to the collisions. :bounce:
Just an idea.

Conni
12-27-2002, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the replies so far!
I tried the shave and a haircut trial version for maya and I like the way the hair behaves and renders. I think its much easier to use then shag: hair. Howerver, I think we will use Shag: hair, because we already have one commercial MAX licence and we only had a student version of Maya until the end of last november. (I would prefer maya, but the budget says no :shame: )
Does anybody know if the rumors are true that shave and a haircut will be released for MAX (in the near future), too?
-Cornelius

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.