PDA

View Full Version : Softimage Xsi Rendering Pic

johnny001
01-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Hi guys is there a way to render jpeg uncompressed in xsi, I can find no where to select uncompressed jpeg. I am looking for best quality to render as image sequence. Any thoughts thanks

JDex
01-20-2006, 05:49 AM
I think it renders jpgs at 80% or somewhere there abouts... I would render out with a lossless format as masters and batch convert to jpg in an external app... like Photoshop or Flipbook (included with XSI). It would be nice if a codec button was available in the render options ppg. Ah, a new, minor, wishlist item.

luceric
01-20-2006, 02:46 PM
"Uncompressed Jpegs" is an oxymoron, Jpegs are always compressed, it's not even an RGB format, it's stored in YUV. Mental Ray is set to save jpegs with maximum quality. There are so many other compressed but losses formats to choose from, it's a little odd to want to render to jpeg at all.

ElysiumGX
01-20-2006, 03:18 PM
TGA and PNG FTW!!! :buttrock:

leigh
01-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi guys is there a way to render jpeg uncompressed in xsi, I can find no where to select uncompressed jpeg. I am looking for best quality to render as image sequence. Any thoughts thanks

Then JPG should be your last choice. For high quality images, you have to save in a totally non-compressed format, and JPGs always have some compression on them, even at 100% quality. Common formats include TGA or TIFF files, however, these days there is a strong move to rendering to high dynamic formats (floating point), such as OpenEXR, Radiance and such, since you get far more colour bandwidth in post (if indeed you do intend to do post work on the sequence).

JDex
01-20-2006, 04:52 PM
EXR is definitely a great format... I'm hoping that XSI/MR can begin to allow it's full power to be harnessed. Buffers--> Multi-channel flexibility, channel overwriting, etc.

There are times when I render jpgs... usually thumbnails and early test renders. The 80%ish compression usually doesn't bother, but while compressed... 100% jpgs hold up pretty admirably in certain situations where space is a priority. Batching them from tga/tiff is usually a 1-2min process though, so it's not a big deal.

Sbowling
01-22-2006, 12:26 AM
I've found that if you are planning to to comp images that contains semi-transparent volumetric stuff you should use something like the SGI format which has a 16 bit depth or you may get color banding. Of course, I found this out after a 3 day long render, so I prety much use SGi for everthing now.

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.