PDA

View Full Version : Down Side to "Make Double Sided" ?

billbaxton52
01-20-2006, 03:58 AM
I am making a Ford Pickup in Lightwave, and I'm trying to make the BED detailed as possible...

Is it better to create an undercarriage to diffuse light behind the tires?
Or, to simply make the BED "Double Sided"?

Checking the "Double Sided" box seems too easy to be true...Are there any downsided besides higher render times??

Thanks in Advance,

Bill

IC12
01-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Unless the surface is transparent, making it double-sided shouldn't affect render times so it is too good to be true in the right circumstances.

The downside is you have an object with no depth at all and that becomes obvious at certain angles. The double sided function just gives the illusion of a two sided surface with an algorithm.
An easy way to get round this is to copy your object to another layer, flip the polygons and smooth shift them to create a proper inner structure.
Trake it back to the original layer and merge the points.

softdistortion
01-20-2006, 11:47 AM
I find th easiest way to add a second layer is a plugin called thickner. It also allows you to choose if your second layer will be inner or outer and you can assign a thickness. It's especially good for organic shapes, but will work on any other shapes too. The bonus is that is also builds the joining geometry between the two "sides". Check flay.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 11:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.