PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop won't open!!!

Mr. Jones
11-30-2002, 05:23 PM
I have recently been experiencing problems with opening photoshop on my computer. Every time I click to open the program the window opens and the splash screen comes up saying intializing and then the program closes. Now this has been puzzling me because I installed photoshop 7 upgrade a few months ago with no problem until now. Also haven't downloaded any programs that would interfere with the operation of the program since then. I've also have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program but I still get the same results. If you can help in any way it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also running on XP Professional.

Siborg
11-30-2002, 09:03 PM
It sounds like you could be running out of available memory.

How many programs run in the background or foreground, while PS is launching?

Another possibility is that you have too many fonts. Each font has to be loaded into memory, the same memory which PS uses to run as well. The more fonts you have, the slower PS will run, if at all.

Mr. Jones
11-30-2002, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the reply Siborg but I don't believe it is a memory problem. I don't have any programs running when PS is being launched and it only seems to be with PS and not the other adobe programs that I use. Also I only have the standard fonts that came with the software so I don't believe it is a problems with loading fonts.

eliseu gouveia
12-01-2002, 02:36 AM
Itīs probably unrelated, but I noticed that my Windows starts giving me a hard time when I surpass my hardrivesī 50% storage capability.

At 70-80% of storage capability, all my apps starts misbehaving for reasons unknown.

Siborg
12-01-2002, 10:40 AM
Maybe the scratch disk you are using (The hard drive space that PS uses for extra memory) is running out of space then.

Go to Edit>Preferences>Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks

Make sure the drive that is selected has enough space on, or lower the scratch disk size to help compensate etc.

Aside from this, I would try contacting Adobe over this issue, and see if they can help you.

ambient-whisper
12-01-2002, 11:10 AM
and if not. then its a virus. ive had a virus once that didnt allow me to open 1/2 my apps. and i got 768 ram, and had over 20 gigs left of space ( i set PS to use that partition. ) so it obviousely wasnt the problem.

once the virus was killed everything went back to normal.

Mr. Jones
12-01-2002, 09:12 PM
Thanks everybody for your help, but I was able to solve the problem by myself. I guess the day when PS stopped working was because my computer created a system restore point when something happened such as a power failure or something of that nature. Since XP Professional creates a new restore point for my system everyday, all I needed to do was restore my computer back to a date when PS was working right.

dpvtank
12-01-2002, 11:51 PM
u didnt really need to do that...
and to tell u the truth, system restore uses waaaaaaaaaay tooooo many resources and hardisk space..

this has actually happened to me before..
the answer was a simple reboot.

KINGOFPAIN
12-10-2002, 04:53 PM
...or a reinstall

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.