PDA

View Full Version : working with cameras

zoc
01-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I people,
I'm starting work with after effects cameras. Everything is so cool, but i've got a little problem. I'm working with G5 bip 1.8 and 2giga of ram, so is quite a power pc. I'm doing an animation with about 25 text level. Everything is not so fast!! an to see the result of animation it takes a lot of time... a little bit boring!
thanks to everybody...!!
PS: i put "quarter" as quality preview...

Another question please!! I saw some beautiful animation, with a lot of camera movements. Do you think they put all that element in a single comp or in some?
Can you give me some good link about this specific area?

beenyweenies
01-20-2006, 08:24 AM
I people,
I'm starting work with after effects cameras. Everything is so cool, but i've got a little problem. I'm working with G5 bip 1.8 and 2giga of ram, so is quite a power pc. I'm doing an animation with about 25 text level. Everything is not so fast!! an to see the result of animation it takes a lot of time... a little bit boring!
thanks to everybody...!!

Another question please!! I saw some beautiful animation, with a lot of camera movements. Do you think they put all that element in a single comp or in some?

When you use cameras in AE you are invoking its 3d space. 25 text layers in 3d space is a bit much, and you will notice slowdowns (even on a quad-processor top-of-the-line mac).

As for your question about using single comps for a lot of elements, it totally depends. I just did an HD project with about 40 text elements scattered around in 3d space with one single camera that moved through everything. We decided it would be better to take the project management/preview hit than to coordinate everything across multiple comps with multiple cameras. Your workflow should always be dictated by your needs.

zoc
01-20-2006, 08:41 AM
thanks for the answer... I don't understand this:
"project management/preview hit"... what is?

beenyweenies
01-20-2006, 08:59 AM
thanks for the answer... I don't understand this:
"project management/preview hit"... what is?

Basically it was more difficult to manage one large comp than breaking it out into smaller pieces, and it was harder for me and the other artists to work on different parts of the project. They couldn't simply send me a precomp that could be dropped into the project, we had to set up a method of integrating their layers into the main comp (not all that easy with AE's 3D layers) but it was still easier, faster and more productive than the alternatives. There were almost 140 layers of HD-sized text and animation, and all with motion blur etc.

in the end. This presented project management issues (finding layers, showing clients different options, etc.) and previews took longer for some segments of the piece.

brandnew
01-24-2006, 07:26 AM
I people,
thanks to everybody...!!

"to see the result of animation it takes a lot of time" is not a problem I think.No matter how big ram u have,it helps nothing on the time preview take.
As I see it,less layer will be faster in preview.
But u should know that lots of amazing visual effects always require lots of layers~for the team work,also the logic work.
the post script for ur another q,lots of great "movement" depend on 3d app

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 07:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.