PDA

View Full Version : The Past, Present & Future of the Xbox 360

RobertoOrtiz
01-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Quote:
"eter Moore should be tired. Today, the Corporate Vice President of Worldwide Retail Sales and Marketing for Microsoft's Home and Entertainment Division (translation: He has to make Xbox 360 (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3147131#) the No. 1 console in the world) woke up early enough to get in a 6 a.m. workout. So he could make this 8 a.m. interview with us. So he can work a full day afterwards. So he can finish in time to do a 5:00 p.m. photo shoot with us later. So he can wrap that up and work through the night (when it's business hours in Japan). So he can fly out to Tokyo in the morning. Just another 16-hour workday for the guy. But Moore isn't tired. He's brighteyed awake and ready to discuss the Xbox 360's recent problems and future prospects. The man seems to draw from an endless supply of energy whenever he talks to the press, which is good for him, because this interview is no walk in the park.... "

>>LINK<< (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3147131)

-R

kiaran
01-19-2006, 11:23 PM
The interviewer really drilled this guy for no reason and asked a bunch of stupid questions. Too bad because I think this could have been interesting.

Frank Lake
01-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Wow! You mean that the guy actually works for his money. Well damn. :rolleyes:

His IS paid to make it a WILD success, no news there.

I do agree that they do ask some pretty juvenile questions, but they also call him out on the product defects and the future of XB. He does good evasion of several questions, as is to be expected of a VP, and flat out paraphrases "No comment." to others. Pretty bland and useless article over-all which is fairly typical when you interview a VP from any company.

Schwinnz
01-20-2006, 12:33 AM
I sure that guy's caffeine level is way above the recommended level.

heavyness
01-20-2006, 12:50 AM
The interviewer really drilled this guy for no reason and asked a bunch of stupid questions. Too bad because I think this could have been interesting.

agreed. most of the "hardcore" questions asked have already been answered and it just makes the reviewer and 1up.com look immature. to bad they wasted an interview.

switchblade327
01-20-2006, 02:29 AM
One more agreed. "Gaming press" is often as much an oxymoron as "Military Intelligence". Questions like the ps1-Dreamcast comparisons and the early model technical problems are pretty fan-boyish, considering there's no mention of how the early ps2s were also junk (smart consumers never buy 1st generation ***ANYTHING***!!!) or that first gen ps2 games almost all looked *worse* then the Dreamcast. Besides, 3% failure rate of hardware is pretty standard in consumer electronics. We've seen no evidence that this 'massive hardware failure' is any signifcant percentage of units sold. FWIW I know a lot of guys with 360s (and 360 devkits) and none have crapped out that I know of. Now if Microsoft wasn't making things right and replacing them, THAT'D be news. This isn't.

Any new hardware is going to have glitches and need time for devs to ramp up, so we won't see the best of the platform for a couple of years. I don't anticipate the ps3 launch being much better, other then that the press will cut them a lot more slack thanks to the anti-Microsoft/Sony love bias that so much of the gaming press has.

DevilHacker
01-20-2006, 01:53 PM
WOW.
How old was that reviewer!
Judging from his questions, I would say two…

Seriously though, those questions were completely out of line. I would not be surprised if 1up can get another interview. God knows that if I was Peter Moore, I would not give it to them.

DevilHacker
01-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Wow! You mean that the guy actually works for his money. Well damn. :rolleyes:That interview was not ‘work’ by any means.
The only legitimate questions (that were few and far between) have already been asked;
The rest were just short of harassment.
:surprised

xino
01-20-2006, 06:16 PM
[/color]That interview was not ‘work’ by any means.
The only legitimate questions (that were few and far between) have already been asked;
The rest were just short of harassment.
:surprised

I think the poster was referring to Peter Moore and not the interviewer.

Yeah....Peter Moore....

Neil
01-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Why is there a new 360 thread on here everyday?
I can't wait till the other 2 launch, then we can have even more pr hype threads.

MrPositive
01-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Hmmm I thought the interview was highly entertaining. Why does every question have to be a slap on the back and a job well done question? These are the exact same questions on cgtalk that curtail into 20 pages of posts, so why can he not ask those same questions? Ok he kind of went over the line once but other than that he was asking the same questions we are asking everyday and to me the mass majority of the questions didn't feel like attacks but instead intense, important questions. For instance, half of the xbox posts lately have been about problems with it running correctly. For the life of me, why wouldn't that be a question you ask them. As well, the Corporate Vice President of Xbox was very poignant and solid in answering, and never seemed flustered throughout the article.

PhilOsirus
01-21-2006, 05:29 AM
You guys should wait until he drills Kutaragi or some other PS3-related person with the same kinds of questions before calling the interview a waste. I'm sure if this kind of interview had been done with Kutaragi there would have been claps and cheers.

Oh, and as said in the interview, they probably didn't like being told they should rereview a 360 game publicly.

xino
01-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Penny Arcade posted about this interview. I would have to say they're the most unbiased guys out there who "review" games (or at least talk about them).

Have a look.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

The cartoon is classic.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic

I won't post it direct due to subject matter, but it's funny nonetheless and sadly it rings true mostly.

Frank Lake
01-22-2006, 01:02 PM
I think the poster was referring to Peter Moore and not the interviewer.

Yeah....Peter Moore....
That is correct. :)

switchblade327
01-23-2006, 07:10 PM
You guys should wait until he drills Kutaragi or some other PS3-related person with the same kinds of questions before calling the interview a waste. I'm sure if this kind of interview had been done with Kutaragi there would have been claps and cheers.

Oh, and as said in the interview, they probably didn't like being told they should rereview a 360 game publicly.

You may be right but only because to games press, slamming Microsoft/xbox is every bit as cool as bending over to kiss Sony's behinds (except in regards to the psp; that got an admittedly rough reception as well but not to this degree).

PhilOsirus
01-23-2006, 07:41 PM
You may be right but only because to games press, slamming Microsoft/xbox is every bit as cool as bending over to kiss Sony's behinds (except in regards to the psp; that got an admittedly rough reception as well but not to this degree).

Wierd, I was about to say "to games press, slamming Sony is every bit as cool as bending over to kiss Microsoft's behinds"! I guess both our arguments cancel each other out for their lack of substance.

heavyness
01-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Wierd, I was about to say "to games press, slamming Sony is every bit as cool as bending over to kiss Microsoft's behinds"! I guess both our arguments cancel each other out for their lack of substance.

depends which company sent them the most free software/hardware in the last year...

personally, "professional" video game press is like most news press, completely bias to their own personally opinions. stop reading the 1ups, IGN, and other sites, find some guys blogging from their basement and talk to your friends, you'll get better reviews that way.

hell, ask CGTalk, most people here have a great outlook on video games and give honest opinions.

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2006, 07:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.