PDA

View Full Version : smoothing trouble for mormal maps.

rob-beddall
01-18-2006, 09:18 PM
hey!!

I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to sculpt a head in zbrush.
it's for a game project and i'm trying to create a hi res head to then import back into Max to create the normal map.
the problem is that when i smooth the head the outside edges shrink in. (ringed in white on left image.) so that when i import back to Max and create the normal maps, i get bits of the normal map missing. What's the proper workflow for this within Zbrush? Also i have noticed that if (after modelling hi-res) i go back to sub-division lvl 1. it's not the same as the tool that i imported, but is slightly distorted. is there an answer to fix that?

hope someone can help with this.

cheers!!

Andreseloy
01-18-2006, 09:39 PM
This is a well setting for the imp/exp ZBrush -3DMax:
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/2402/userimage1082926398saz6zz.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)
are you using the ZMapper Plugin in ZBrush?

Andreseloy

ps: the setting are from zediccus

Beanmaster
01-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Hi,

when you import a tool into ZBrush create a morph target for the imported mesh if you don't want to export the mesh back. You can switch to the morph target and render the normal map with you original mesh. The subdivlevel 1 mesh will always change when you make changes to a higher subdivision level.

I think the best solution is to work on all the details then export the low-poly mesh and the normal map out of ZBrush.

rob-beddall
01-18-2006, 10:33 PM
hey!!

thanks for the info guys. i'll try those settings and the morph target thingy.
so you don't think there is a way somehow....pin the open edges in place when smoothing?
hmmm just had a thought (thinking out loud here)...if i created an edge loop on the open edges it might work? hmm but surely that would mess with the uv's.
think i will go and have another play with it.

cheers!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.