PDA

View Full Version : Buying a tablet...

Blackwave
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Hi there all,

I'm after a graphics tablet. I've never used one before, been meaning to get one for a while.

I'm on a VERY small budget, 30-40 is kind of pushing it. I want to use it with Photoshop for a GCSE Art project, but after looking around the designs here (paticularly the Daily Sketches forum) I'm kind of interested in taking part in that.

I've had a look on ebay, seems the general opinion here is that Wacom are the best, so I looked for a Wacom model.

Whilst I'm drooling at the thought of an Inuous3, it's a little bit out of my price range... :)

Theres a Wacom Volito (OEM CZW9) being sold for 24.95, but the fact that the drivers don't mention Windows XP and the price is making me think it's a little bit too old to be of any use.

Any ideas?

opus13
01-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Theres a Wacom Volito (OEM CZW9) being sold for 24.95, but the fact that the drivers don't mention Windows XP and the price is making me think it's a little bit too old to be of any use.

considering what people draw with a basic mouse, the volito will do you just fine :)
seriously though, if you are on a tight budget, a used graphire 2, 3, or a volito is your best shot.

volito review:
http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=79&pgno=0

Blackwave
01-19-2006, 05:23 PM
When I posted the above, it didn't appear in the forum so I reposted, so apolagies if it appears twice.

Is there anything really... 'wrong' with the Volitos. I've been looking at a few Graphires on ebay for a decent price. What would be better, a Graphire 4, or an Intuous 2?

Messenjah
01-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Seriously, if I were you, I would consider waiting it out and get a Wacom Intuos 3. I almost didn't buy it myself until I found a sweet deal on CS2, where if I bought the Wacom I could also get CS2 for $299 flat out. :)

Honestly, I can say that I really wouldn't have considdered trying to paint UV maps for character meshes until I got a Wacom.

I'm still trying to learn how to use the Intuos 3 and CS2 but I found that it really didn't take me much time to adjust from drawing with a mouse to the Intuos 3. :) Just feels comfy.

Blackwave
01-21-2006, 12:44 PM
I bought a Graphire2 off ebay for 45, A6 size.

Should be arriving on Monday *crosses fingers*.

I'd have loved to bought a Intuous3, I have the cash, but theres other things I need to buy (Xbox 360... :D) which is the reason I had to skimp on the budget. Saving up for it wasn't an option as I need it ASAP.

Anyway, thanks for the advice all, can't waitt o try it out :)

Datameister
01-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Why did you need a tablet ASAP?

I would have suggested saving up for a small Intuos. I've never used a Graphire, but from what I hear, they really lack the precision required for high-end digital art.

Buying a cheaper tablet so you can buy an Xbox 360? What are you, crazy? ;)

Jk...I hope the Graphire works out great for you.

v_z
01-24-2006, 02:10 AM
I guess he needs one because he wants to do part of his schoolwork with it. GCSE is a stage in British higher education, and you have to submit work by a certain deadline.

But yeah the graphire should be alright, I hope.

I personnally did what Datameister suggested, saving up for an A4 intuos, and then found myself in a spot of luck and ample cash. So I went for a Cintiq 21UX. Only thing that bothers me about that is its takes a long time to be delivered. 4 to 6 weeks, 2 weeks down and they've been the longest of my life, I don't know if i can stand the next two.

and why Xbox 360, would have waited for the PS3 ^^, then you could have spent more on the tablet :).

Datameister
01-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Ah, I see. Well, if you need a tablet for school, I really would have suggested an Intuos, Blackwave! :D The Graphire should be fine, though.

V_z, you got a Cintiq?! I've decided I don't like you...

Just kidding, just kidding. :) I hope it works out really well for you. You'll have to let me know how it is.

Good luck with your Graphire, Blackwave!

firana
01-25-2006, 06:19 AM
Hi guys, I need some advice on wacom intuos.

What is the difference between wacom intuos 2 and 3?
If I want to work as 3D artist (texturing materials) using Intuos 2, is this good enough?
What about using Intuos 2 in Corel Painter instead of Intuos 3?

I am thinking about getting a drawing tablet.

Thanks guys.

DrQuincy
01-25-2006, 12:39 PM
I was in the same position as you as was advised by the good people on these forums to get the Volito. It's very good for the price.

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2006, 12:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.