PDA

View Full Version : Help. AE is corrupting TIFF files.

maximee
01-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey everybody.

Sometimes when i work in After Effects and make a RAM preview the rendering stops and AE gives me following error "PSD-Dateiformatfehler (-16024)" which translates to "photoshop file error (-16024)".

I wasn't able to find anything about error 16024 on google.

The bad thing is that AE corrupts my files and screws them up while working in AE.
I have to overwrite the bad frames with good ones from my backup to make the error disappear. I'd be really f$%'ed if I wouldn't have my backup footage.

This error also happens sometimes when I export TIFF sequences. (I use 24 bit RLE-encoded TIFFs)

When I load the broken frame of a corrupt sequence into Photoshop the file looks like this:
Click to download TIFF (166kb) (http://www.europeantranslation.de/notwist/shot_001_reference_ver002_strich_00064.tif)
It has weird magenta lines/glitches.

I really don't know what causes this. I suspect that it's some sort of filesystem error and not AE but I really don't know.

Maybe somebody else experienced the same kind of errors too...

I'm working on an AMD XP2000+, nvidia Quadro DCC, 1768 mb RAM, AE 6.5 Pro/winXP Pro and dedicated render harddisks. The project is HDTV (1280x768 @ 25fps progressive).

And last but not least:
Usually I exported as TGA and not TIFF. I never experienced errors exporting Targas.
But the people I work with use TIFF files, so I do too.

What's the actual difference? What is better to use?

Maybe some kind soul can give me some insight on that.

Thank you for reading!

Mylenium
01-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Hey everybody.

Sometimes when i work in After Effects and make a RAM preview the rendering stops and AE gives me following error "PSD-Dateiformatfehler (-16024)" which translates to "photoshop file error (-16024)".

I wasn't able to find anything about error 16024 on google.

The bad thing is that AE corrupts my files and screws them up while working in AE.
I have to overwrite the bad frames with good ones from my backup to make the error disappear. I'd be really f$%'ed if I wouldn't have my backup footage.

This error also happens sometimes when I export TIFF sequences. (I use 24 bit RLE-encoded TIFFs)

When I load the broken frame of a corrupt sequence into Photoshop the file looks like this:
Click to download TIFF (166kb) (http://www.europeantranslation.de/notwist/shot_001_reference_ver002_strich_00064.tif)
It has weird magenta lines/glitches.

I really don't know what causes this. I suspect that it's some sort of filesystem error and not AE but I really don't know.

Maybe somebody else experienced the same kind of errors too...

I'm working on an AMD XP2000+, nvidia Quadro DCC, 1768 mb RAM, AE 6.5 Pro/winXP Pro and dedicated render harddisks. The project is HDTV (1280x768 @ 25fps progressive).

And last but not least:
Usually I exported as TGA and not TIFF. I never experienced errors exporting Targas.
But the people I work with use TIFF files, so I do too.

What's the actual difference? What is better to use?

Maybe some kind soul can give me some insight on that.

Thank you for reading!

These are compression errors. Your files get corrupted because AE has them open while accesing them and does not close them correctly after the error has occured. Maybe you can try and convert them to uncompressed TIFF files first.

As for the differences - well, TIFFS can be any color depth (8bpc, 16bpc, 32 bpc int, float) to begin with. There are tons of compression options and sub-formats and to some degree this may be what's giving you problems (not all flavors will load into all programs). Targas are always only 8 bpc, but I find them to be one of the most reliable formats.

BTW, what strange HDTV format do you use? You should 1280 x 720 pixels, not 768. There is no need for any trickery. The rez you spezified is a computer monitor resolution.

Mylenium

Mylenium

maximee
01-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks Mylenium.

Good hint! I just try deactivating RLE for now. When the project is finished I'll have a closer look at it.

Danke und bis denne,
Flo

EDIT: Oh...about the HDTV rez... I just screwed it up. Of course I work at 1280x720 and not 768 ;) I really can't wait to see my project on a HD television, to be honest I never really had time or money to have a closer look at one myself.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.