PDA

View Full Version : I need help

xezashi
01-18-2006, 02:35 AM
I have a problem with adding color a picture I have out lined on a diffrent layer. I use anti-aliasing for both outlining and coloring. When I start I mask off the an area where I want to paint than go to the other layer and add it and I get a space between the lines where the pixels for the anti-aliasing are nearly transperant. basicly I need a better way of coloring things in or maybe I have made a mistake doing it my way that some one could help me correct. I use Photoshop CS just so you know.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/xezashi/095c4214.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/xezashi/e87f521c.jpg
Here are two pictures just in case the way I descriped it didn't make sense.

Thanks for any advice.

Whipyo
01-18-2006, 10:17 PM
It looks to me like you are making selections of the areas between the lines of your 'line art' with the magic wand and then filling that area with colour.

Because your line art layer is not completely sharp and solid, the magic wand is probably not the best way to select it due to the fact that the magic wand tries to pick up pixels of a similar colour (The tolerance setting controls this). You are picking up the transparent pixels but not any pixels that even have a hint of colour in them. Even if you turn up the tolerance setting and turn on antilaising, you will still get really sharp and harsh edges which is probaly not what you want in this case.

There are few different ways you could do this to get a better result.

Rather than use the magic wand you could use 'selective colour'. If you haven't used this, you basically pick the colour you want to select and then play with the slider to either 'fatten' or 'thin' your selection out till you are happy with it. This will make a selection of your desired colour over the whole document or if you make a selection before you apply selective colour, it will only select pixels within that area. Play around with the 'selection preview' setting as well and find the one you like.

Once you have the areas selected, you can either fill the area you require or you can just use a brush and paint with these areas.

You could also use paths to select your areas, turn these paths into selections and then again, fill or paint your area.

I personally would set the blend mode of my line art layer to multiply and then using a reasonably hard brush, would just paint in my areas without making selections. You need to be really accurate with your brush strokes and if you are only using a mouse this is probably too diffucult. If you zoom right in to your edge it may help.

With your existing image, if you want to 'fatten' up your existing areas of colour or your line art then you can use the minimum filter (filter>other>minimum). Play around with this to see how it works.

Also, I would keep your different colours on different layers. One for the skin, one for the hair etc...

Whipyo

xezashi
01-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the advice. also the reason the layers aren't seprate for each diffrent color is I once messed a picture up using to many layers and someone I know told me to only use two layers one for lines the other for color. Again thanks for the advice

Jack Youngblood
01-21-2006, 09:59 PM
If you want to enlarge a flat area of color try this obscure technique:

First merge your shapes with a white layer (I notice that you have them currently on a transparent layer).

Them blur it (Gaussian) by around 1.5 pixels. This puts a middle tone fringe around your area.

Then do a Levels Adjustment on it. Push the middle point all the way to the right. This should convert the fringe to white.

That should expand the shape by a few pixels.

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2006, 09:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.