01-17-2006, 11:03 PM
this is news... how?

Saurus
01-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Tell Seattle PI and Google News that.

opus13
01-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Tell Seattle PI and Google News that.

steve jobs pondering competition in the audio playback device market isnt relevant to CGTalk.

Saurus
01-17-2006, 11:41 PM
steve jobs pondering competition in the audio playback device market isnt relevant to CGTalk.

And where's your opinion post on Message from Apple to Dell thread?

If you’re talking CG news, them you might as well delete half of thread posted on CG News.

Beamtracer
01-18-2006, 12:44 AM
I would take the opposite view. The goings-on in the portable music player market may seem irrelevant to CG, but it will likely have an enormous, even catastrophic effect on the film and TV business.

You've got about 5 major players jostling for position.... Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Apple, Sony. They want to control online distribution of digital content.

I can tell you that these players will obliterate the traditional television networks around the world. It's "check mate" for them, and they won't survive in their current state.

This stuff is news, and it is relevant to CG.

kiaran
01-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Beamtracer - How exactly does an mp3 player affect television? I can't make the connection, was hoping you could elaborate.

I recently took a look at podcasts and discovered they have absolutely nothing to do with ipods. If that is what you are referring to, then it's the fancy new video codecs that are putting the film/tv industry in jeopardy, not mp3 players.

enygma
01-18-2006, 03:27 AM
Beamtracer - How exactly does an mp3 player affect television? I can't make the connection, was hoping you could elaborate.
Portable music players are starting to support video.

iTunes is now becoming a vehicle for digital media distribution on both the audio and the video level. I believe the same will soon start happening with MTV/Microsoft Urge service.

While the portable media device industry isn't going to have an effect on the TV and movie business to the extent that Beamtracer stated. It will have an effect due to device integration, but not catastrophic.

Beamtracer
01-18-2006, 04:26 AM
Hi Kiaran,

It's all about content. Each of the companies I listed above wants to be a major player in the delivery of paid content.

Right now its feasible to deliver audio files over the net. As the internet bandwidth into peoples' homes increases, we'll see more and more video delivered in the same way.

Recently we saw Google form and alliance with CBS (US TV network) to deliver content this way, while ABC and NBC are dealing with Apple. These are just early days. The picture size is small, and not everyone wants to watch video on a small screen.

But bandwidth increases every year, and the picture quality of downloaded video will increase.

What is your local TV station doing? What is your video store doing? These businesses are just "middle men"... distributing content from the program supplier to you. In the new world order they won't be required.

gunslingerblack
01-18-2006, 02:31 PM
sounds like jobs is just taking his chance to go "na nany poo poo" while sounding benevolent

toonman
01-18-2006, 05:16 PM
What's going to happen is that Microsoft is going to have to get into the hardware business of making MP3 players.

I can't believe this statement was made... Microsoft doesn't even need to do that!! It already did!! They have one, called "PC", and another one, called "PDA". How can Appled miss the big picture so bad??

I do agree this will have an impact on not only CG, but every type of media known to man. Electronic media is non-discriminatory, just due to its very nature. The fact that the battle was started in the music turf is coincidental (alright... not coincidental, but 'consequental'). This is going to become very big. Winner will take all. It's electronic distribution we're talking about here. We can already see dust rising in the DRM ring. I do believe this will be the "battel of the century".

On a more presonal line, I do dread the thought of Sony gaining any sort of upper hand. We've all seen what they're willing to do to win... I have personally stopped buying ANY Sony products (and I'm about to buy a new TV... LG/Samsung, here I come!). Call me exagerated, but if they're gonna use every dollar I give them to do the stuff they've been doing... nah. These are interesting times, but as in all fights, there will be collateral damage. And in these case, the ones standing in the lines to take are us... consumers.

(DRM... ouch!!)

BigJay
01-18-2006, 05:34 PM
The ipod relates to CG the same way the psp and all the over content players relate. Federator I think was the first of many companies to start offering animated shorts for these devices. As more companies try to get into the game... heck just figure out the game the more these smaller companies will start hunting for new cg content to offer their subscribers. We are on a cusp of a portible media explosion. The first out there with a decent player will win in the long run. Apple's ipod and itunes seems to be such a device.

So yeah it is very important how this all turns out...especially when itunes starts letting anyone distribute their shorts through them. imagine getting paid for your animated shorts.

archerx
01-18-2006, 05:42 PM
I have my pocket pc and I use it as a media player (podcasts, videos, movies and streams but i use my mp3 player for music since its smaller) and it's wonderful, I can watch what I want when I want and converting video for it is easy since you can use windows movie maker and it even has a preset for pocket pc.

I really don't see what the fuss is about with the ipod video I mean their are much better products out there that have been around longer.... but yea it is the future.

But I'm sure tv will still be around, sometimes its just nice to just sit down and let "fate" decide what you'll be watching...

So I'm not sure how this will affect things in the future but I'll be going with the flow....

Oh by the way beamtracer posting something helpful with out bashing MS? is this a sign of the apocolypse? :p

poly-phobic
01-18-2006, 07:15 PM
if the news was actually "CG news" ; i guarantee we would not be arguing on its relevance here on cgtalk, but rather ther the news itself.

so no... it has nothing to do with computer graphics news.

i think this is in light of another "memo from jobs" thread posted a couple of days ago....

If you’re talking CG news, them you might as well delete half of thread posted on CG News. Yesterday 07:26 PM

he gave u his opinion.... your thread about steve jobs market insights is asinine on a computer graphics board

poly-phobic
01-18-2006, 07:17 PM
imagine getting paid for your animated shorts.

now imagine everyone and their mama making shorts just to get paid... imagine a "tuurbo-squid-like" short film repository...

thats just a bad idea.

halo
01-18-2006, 09:08 PM

If you’re talking CG news, them you might as well delete half of thread posted on CG News.

i wish someone would, then we would have CGnews and not news that people will go out of their way to link to being possibly connected to CG...in fact its getting like 1/10 is actually directly cgnews!

the price of frozen orange juice just went up 2c...

Saurus
01-19-2006, 01:03 AM
i wish someone would, then we would have CGnews and not news that people will go out of their way to link to being possibly connected to CG...in fact its getting like 1/10 is actually directly cgnews!

the price of frozen orange juice just went up 2c...

If you think this news is just about a little music player, you’re only looking at a small picture. I put Ipod in a category along with other great products that can have a big impact on scale on the number of users between the OS out there. You can’t deny Apple is using Ipod to generate interest in their Apple computers. And OS numbers share is what hardware (video cards) developers and software (3D software) developers look for in determining whether to port their product or not...something I, a CG dude is very interested in.

I also find it interesting that Steve suggesting Microsoft getting into hardware manufacturing; although they have developed hardware such as keyboards and mouse, but the implication is whether Microsoft can one day develop their own machine to run their OS…aka, Apple. Also, considering Apple had Motorola developed their version of Ipod phone which flop big time. It left such a bad taste in Apple’s mouth, prompting them to file a phone patent. I guess they figure if you want to make a product that represent the company image, why not make it yourself (which had been their motto since the beginning) and considering Apple used the "Apple Image" to great success". I’m sure Microsoft will be looking at Apple very closely on this one.

Sorry, if this news doesn’t interest you, but then again you can quickly press the back buttons to get you back on your way. This topic sure interests me. I find your orange price correlation to this thread topic way off…I’m sure you can think of better remark or at least make tech news.

DevilHacker
01-19-2006, 01:54 AM
You've got about 5 major players jostling for position.... Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Apple, Sony...

...It's "check mate" for them, and they won't survive in their current state.6 player chess…
Now there is a idea!
:drool:

Beamtracer
01-19-2006, 02:30 AM
It's interesting that Google recently took a stumble when opening their video store on the web. Google has an infallible image, but their video store is being described as an "embarrassment" (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/11/goog_vid_store/).

That's not like Google. I'm sure Google will continue to be a powerful force, but in these early stages (when the players are jockeying for position) it's not a good time to stumble.

Paul-Angelo
01-19-2006, 02:44 AM
I don't think Microsoft needs to make an Mp3 player, they have pleanty of products to keep their share holders happy. Btw, why would Jobs want MS to go head to head with them anyway? Apple has the upper hand right now, Jobs shouldn't taunt MS.

Using this kind of logic makes me wonder then why doesn't Apple make its own gaming console to compete with the XBox?

xino
01-19-2006, 03:38 AM
If you think current console shortages are bad, just wait until Apple ever makes one. My god. They can't even meet current demands now for their ipods. Anyone who has ever tried to buy one during the holidays will testify to that. They're not known for filling retailers orders.

As someone who used to sell apple products during the holidays at a major retailer, I'll tell if Apple ever made a console, they would be sold out for at least a year.

halo
01-19-2006, 11:36 AM
If you think current console shortages are bad, just wait until Apple ever makes one.

As someone who used to sell apple products during the holidays at a major retailer, I'll tell if Apple ever made a console, they would be sold out for at least a year.

then you probably should look up "apple pippin" ;)

toonman
01-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Using this kind of logic makes me wonder then why doesn't Apple make its own gaming console to compete with the XBox?

Uuuuhhh... I don't know... "Hey daddy... why does my iGame controller only have one button?" :D

[Smartass remark... I know... :)]

mummey
01-19-2006, 04:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

-b

xino
01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
then you probably should look up "apple pippin" ;)

I wouldn't tout the "pippin" as Apple getting into the games industry. That example would prove that they don't know what they're doing.

de_tomato
01-20-2006, 02:27 AM

Its norms. I begin to see the trend here.. some peoples like to kiss ass. If someone else with much more influence (like a Mod) were posting this, they might just shout "oh! you almighty, thanks for the great news!" (and they really meant it).

And so was the realease of FireFox and 90% of other news, its not CgNews neither.. how hypocrite.. ehehhe..

pixelmonk
01-20-2006, 06:43 PM
If you think this news is just about a little music player, you’re only looking at a small picture. I put Ipod in a category along with other great products that can have a big impact on ... blah blah blah puke...

you wanted to troll for the sake of seeing your posts here! You've succeeded. Here's your troll badge of honor. BTW, trying to legitimize your initial post just makes you look more rediculous.

carry on.

Schwinnz
01-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Newsweek's Steven Levy pointed out that there didn't seem to be any potential iPod killers at the Consumer Electronics Show.
If anyone believes that it's a big error. Many players are iPod killers, especially Cowon's X5.

mummey
01-20-2006, 08:28 PM
If anyone believes that it's a big error. Many players are iPod killers, especially Cowon's X5.

If you mean mp3 player's then yes there was. If you mean, "Devices that show any chances of depleting Apple's 50%+ marketshare in the area", then I think you're greatly mistaken. :wise:

Saurus
01-20-2006, 10:09 PM
you wanted to troll for the sake of seeing your posts here! You've succeeded. Here's your troll badge of honor.

What’s your issue Monkey Boy. Just because the subject matter doesn’t interest you, doesn’t make the guy who posted a troll. Hmmm..let me see, you responded to a thread in CG News called “Fate of high-def DVD may lie with Microsoft” a subject that has nothing to do with CG, yet you didn’t seem to have issue with it. :rolleyes: It’s either you’re very selective in your choice of allowable subjects or you just had a memory relapse. Sorry I don't get overly joy in seeing my thread in a forum, I just figure there would be some people interested in the subject...And there seem to be some people interested in this subject. Maybe you should tell them to not response to a troll thread.

BTW, trying to legitimize your initial post just makes you look more rediculous.

And telling me that I should not back my claim…ummm, no not backing your claim makes you even more an idiot. If anybody a troll, I find your comment a signature of a troll.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.