PDA

View Full Version : We've all got to start somewhere...

Dipscom
01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Hello All!

I don't expect to get great compliments at this stage so, I'll settle for good C&C.

Here's a link to a short movie I did for my graduation last summer and my showreel.

http://www.ptavares.com/movies/IoetElah_300K.htm

http://www.ptavares.com/movies/showreel_300_win.htm

I'd love to hear what you people think and make sure I am going in the right direction

Thanks!

harryb
01-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi Dipscom,

I'd like to see your reel, even though you're being humble about your abilities, but the WMV file isn't playing. Do you have a downloadable QuickTime version we could look at?

Zipped and downloadable AVI and QuickTime movies would be great! Also, do you have a couple of jpegs we could look at too?

Thanks.

AlbertArt
01-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey there,

It plays fine for me.

Comments for the film: I think its a bit slow paced, and lacks energy. The animation could be improved much to actually show the weight oh his Chains.

Comments for the showreel: The Black screen before the reel takes too much time. The Partial walk cycles aren't a good demonstration of your skills, and the music needs to go. I'm not sure if you want this to be an animation reel or a rigging reel or what. And please get rid of the Character choreography to the music at the start of the reel.

Nice work though Keep at it!

Dipscom
01-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Hey, thanks for the attention guys,

Harryb, the reason it's in wmv format was because at the time, with the software I had at my disposal at home, I could only output in that format. I did think most people would be able to see, given the fact most of us run windows-based system but I have realized that isn't soo true when it comes down to creative people.

Unfortunately, most of that showreel backup was damaged somehow and the files I have here do not allow for conversion.

AlbertArt,

thank you very much for the comments, that's what I am expecting. In my defense I can claim inexperience. For the film, I think it was a pretty good go for a first timer :D You can't get it right in the first one.

I am putting together a new reel, with some of this old stuff and some new. I'll have in mind the advices given and let's see if I can show some improvement. I shall submit the next one in quicktime.

Thanks again!

Dipscom
01-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Hello there!

It took a while but here it is, a updated version of my showreel, with new bits and a better soundtrack as requested.

http://www.ptavares.com/movies/pedrotavares_ReelJan2005.m4v

C & C!

Thanks!

chuckles3
01-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Hello;
Actually I liked the animation, first time or not. Not every animation has to have fast paced action and exploding viscera. Keep up the good work!
Chuck

lilmike
01-27-2006, 07:56 AM
I liked the idea of conveying a feeling with your reel and the animation time over all was very impressive, but i do agree that it could have shown more to your skill. you've abviously got alot of potential. my suggestion is to make more and show a wide variety of what your capable of and keep on striving to get better.
good work : )

Dipscom
01-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys,

I know I have a long road to go through and I am happy with it as long as I feel I am going somewhere.

When you guys say I should make more of the showreel, does it mean I should have a longer one? Because I always was told we should keep it to around a minute no more than two (unless of course you're a genious and got 10 minutes worth of estravaganza). Or is it that I should have different ones? I am slowly building a rig I intend to use for a specifc martial arts exercise. I also am looking into doing some lip sync. So, I could end up with a expression reel, a timing reel and a general reel.

Of course, if they're all good I'll try and fit all together...

Mellbrix
01-27-2006, 01:33 PM
i think it was good! You seem to have good understanding of animation. The lightning was the weakest point, take a look at that. Just adding some extra lights and shadow does great for your renders.

Keep it up =)

harryb
01-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi Pedro,

I finally managed to see your original short. I guess I got a slow connection the first time I tried to see it. The animation looks very good and the lighting and atmosphere you managed to create looks great!

I'm not sure what's happening with the m4v file. It looks like you're intercutting the story with some other work you've done -- almost like a demo reel but without the shot breakdowns. If you're making a demo reel, that's fine but it seems a little unclear if you're trying to tell a story or if you're trying to showcase your talents.

You really do have great skills! If you're trying to sell your skills to get a job in a studio you might want to focus your reel on what area you want to do most (modeling, animating, texturing, lighting, rendering). -- Just redirecting some advice that a seasoned pro gave to me.

All in all I think your work is very good! Keep it up!

Dipscom
01-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Hey, thanks for the support Mellbrix. I have been feeling a bit down but you peopla have raised my self-steem and I am a happier man, not so frustrated anymore :D

But it seems I can never get everything right... :P Harryb, yes, the m4v is a showreel. Well, it's meant to be a showreel to showcase my anymation skills, which is the area I am most proficient at. I did take out the bits where showed rigs and wireframas because earlier on, it was sugested in order not to confuse with a rigging or modeling reel.

And, yes, I am also trying to get myself known. I have graduated last summer and been having a bit of a problem getting into the industry because of my lack of networking. Now, with this reel, I hope to be able and start something.

Again, everybody, thanks for the support. I shall post a new exercise I am rendering at the moment. It will take a while since the render time is calulated to be somewhere around 10 days... Then I''ll have to put it togheter :D

SFR75
01-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Very cool character. Very nice animation (movement).
Storywise - I couldn't really understand and it got boring quickly.
It's waaaay too long, I think.

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2006, 12:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.