PDA

View Full Version : After-Divorce Acting Clip (WIP)

The Funimator
01-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey guys, i'm currently working on a simple short clip with a simple story about a guy who just got divorced. He came back home from lawyer office. He walked to his room intending to do his work with his pc as usual, despite the fact that he's still sad n feel unbelievable that he's divorced after the 6 years so-called happy marriage. While he's in his room, flashback here and there reminded him their good old time, and gradually he broke down to overwhelmed despair. This clip is mainly showing how this guy reacts emotionally after his official divorce. :D

This clip is just the first scene of the total short. The rest are still in WIP mode. Just thought of posting here to gain some feedback along to the way, so that i can learn from my mistakes and do better in future. I would really appreeciate that you guys could openly shoot me with any kind of C&C or suggestions. Please help me to improve. Thanks so much u guys. :)

http://www.kentimator.com/animation/DivorceWIP_scene01.mov

p/s: Above clip requires QuickTime 7+.
p/s2: I'm using the LowMax which downloaded from Peter Starostin's site. Thanks Peter. I really enjoy animating using this rig with more facial expression. :)

KBCamino
01-17-2006, 11:03 PM
It is very depressing... in a good way. The first thing I noticed that bothered me was the pauses between steps as he walks to the desk. The pauses kinda work in the doorway, but after that it looks more like he is really tired insted of really sad. Some of the minor movement in the hips and feet is alittle poppy for lack of better term, touching up some of the motion curves, smooth them out so there are as few flat spots as possible. Other than that the face is great and the hands and arms are also very expressive. Keep it up!!!

Capel
01-17-2006, 11:11 PM
hey there. first off, this is looking really nice. the emotion is reading right off the bat.

the only crits i have are when he takes that third step out, the big one, you've got some nice weight in there, but i'd smooth out his body after his left foot takes the weight. he almost looks like he's hitting a wall.

the other area that i think needs tweaking is when his right hand drops from resting on the doorway. you've got the right idea with the overlapping action of the forearm and hand. i'd just tone it down quite a bit. right now it's looking a little lifeless.

other than that, this is coming a long really nicely. keep on truckin'!

The Funimator
01-19-2006, 01:52 AM
hey guys, thanks very much for your pointers and critics. I'm happy that u guys spend time to analyse my clip and find me the flaws. :) Very much appreciate that. :)

KBCamino: Thanks man. I totally agree with your point about "he looks tired rather than sad". I noticed this initially but after i acted it out few times with different version, it looks like tired face is more or less like sad face (in my story context). This is bcoz the divorced guy has not broke down to real despair yet at the doorway. He's like kinda still strong, just trying to sigh for regret or something. That's how i thought initially. haha... but i will still keep trying to tweak the face for better effect later. :) And i will also look into the issue that you mentioned about the hips n feet motion to be smoothened out. I will try my best. Thanks again. :)

Capel: Thanks for your encouragement. I will try to tweak again and see if i can do better on the big step by smoothing out his body. As for the right hand dropping from the doorway, initially i thought i wanted it to look little more lifeless coz since he's in depress mode and getting more saddened after the sigh. But i will still try out later again and see if i can tone it down some more. Very good pointer though. THanks so much. :)

ok guys, i'll get back to work. But please keep the C&C coming. I would like to learn more from you guys. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.