PDA

View Full Version : AfterEffects 7.0 - New Features

SirRender
01-17-2006, 06:42 AM
http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/newfeatures.html

ThomasMahler
01-17-2006, 07:24 AM
Finally they reorganized the UI - And the timewarp feature seems like a blast too. Well, let's bring it on, Adobe!

beaker
01-17-2006, 08:09 AM
The graph editor is finally fixed. How long have we been asking for this? 5 years?

Rickmeister
01-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Hmmz, some great fixes and updates... but if this is it... if this is on what the've worked on for 5 years its some lazy version... should more be a AE 6.7 upgrade.

Mylenium
01-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Hmmz, some great fixes and updates... but if this is it... if this is on what the've worked on for 5 years its some lazy version... should more be a AE 6.7 upgrade.

You are clearly not considering the other things. Basically the entire effects and rendering pipeline has been re-written to make use of 32 bpc (and yes, 16 bpc is also much faster) and allow OpenGL acceleration. It didn't take 5 years, beaker was refering to people requesting a decent graph editor ever since it appeared.

Mylenium

beaker
01-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Someone decided to reinvent the wheel when they first created the AE graph editor(sorta like the Yost group did with 3dsmax and those horrible tcb controllers). It sucked ass and they never fixed it till now.

ssalo
01-17-2006, 09:52 AM
i'm really excited about this and Adobe Video Bundle is one big killer deal :beer: I'm ordering mine right now.

akika
01-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Is there a way to run AE7 it with win2k?

evanfotis
01-17-2006, 01:37 PM
No win2k support mentioned in Adobe's site.
Neither winXP 64 or any enhancement from 64bit procs.
I also noticed, they didn't mention Intel compatible cpus just intel, so haven't they tried it in Amd X2's?

Beaker, I totally agree.
The graph editor, although here at last and is more than welcome, is ripped off 3dsmax which has it since r3 or something...

Mylenium, nice review on the Cow...

How 'bout Paint?
any improvements there?
Ability to paint in comp view instead of the dreaded layer view?
Ability to export to vector flash as swf from a paint anim?

IanMJ
01-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Now that its announced,

anyone know if the CPU 50-100% while idle error is fixed?

Also, do existing third party plug ins work with AE7?

devin
01-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Anyone know the cutoff date to receive AE 7.0 if you just recently purchased 6.5 recently?

Mylenium
01-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Anyone know the cutoff date to receive AE 7.0 if you just recently purchased 6.5 recently?

Check that with your reseller or Adobe customer support. As far as I know there is no free upgrade beyond their 30 day cycle after purchase.

Mylenium

Mylenium
01-17-2006, 04:35 PM
No win2k support mentioned in Adobe's site.
Neither winXP 64 or any enhancement from 64bit procs.
I also noticed, they didn't mention Intel compatible cpus just intel, so haven't they tried it in Amd X2's?

Should run on AMD as well. Though Win2k is not directly supported, you may be able to use it on that OS. There are some issues with the libraries used for the interface stuff and OpenGL, so there's no guarantee.

Beaker, I totally agree.
The graph editor, although here at last and is more than welcome, is ripped off 3dsmax which has it since r3 or something...

Though I agree on the graph editor being nice, your comment doesn't make much sense. There were enough apps using graph editors even before MAX.

How 'bout Paint?
any improvements there?

No, no and no.

Mylenium

Mylenium
01-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Now that its announced,
anyone know if the CPU 50-100% while idle error is fixed?

Never had this problem, so I don't know what you are talking about.

Also, do existing third party plug ins work with AE7?

Yes, almost all plugins work. There are some minor issues (Particular's preview does not work sometimes for instance) and e.g. Trapcode has already announced new versions to fix those issues, but you can work and use the older versions.

Mylenium

beaker
01-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Though I agree on the graph editor being nice, your comment doesn't make much sense. There were enough apps using graph editors even before MAX.I believe he was making a joke from my statement about 3dsmax. 3dsmax had a horrible graph editor and they fixed it in v3.

Mylenium
01-17-2006, 06:13 PM
I believe he was making a joke from my statement about 3dsmax. 3dsmax had a horrible graph editor and they fixed it in v3.

Ah, I see. I think the last time I really was forced to use MAX was with v2.5. Never really touched it again except from peaking in at it at other facilities when I had the chance ;o)

Mylenium

cgeveryday
01-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Yay a better graph editor (hopefully). A couple of good updates but really, is that it? What about all the little things they could have done to improve it. I don't want to sound sad but Combustion does all this stuff already. AE's behind. I'm sure many people have had some really great ideas for improvment (I know I have) and asked Adobe to include, and there is nothing. Some things I asked would have been so simple but would have shaved off heaps of time in production! Don't get me wrong, I am a long time user AND supporter. This just means I have to wait for ages again until the next upgrade to hopefully get something helpful.

Disapointed.

bonsai_kittenz
01-17-2006, 06:45 PM
have they fixed the terrible integration with maya yet?

Mylenium
01-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Yay a better graph editor (hopefully). A couple of good updates but really, is that it? What about all the little things they could have done to improve it. I don't want to sound sad but Combustion does all this stuff already. AE's behind. I'm sure many people have had some really great ideas for improvment (I know I have) and asked Adobe to include, and there is nothing. Some things I asked would have been so simple but would have shaved off heaps of time in production! Don't get me wrong, I am a long time user AND supporter. This just means I have to wait for ages again until the next upgrade to hopefully get something helpful.

Disapointed.

Well, that's it, I'm afraid. Please don't get me wrong, but in development there are no things that are "simple". I know, it sounds harsh, but even replacing a simple icon (e.g. the lock symbol for the viewers was revised several times) can mean touching the code and it definitely always means re-compiling the app, be it just for testing. Anyone interested in more info should check my review over at creativeCOW.net (please dear mod, don't bust my ass for this).

I'm not sure if I would say AE is "behind" in general. There surely are enough areas for improvements, but I guess it's all down to what type of work you are doing. In some areas it's even a large step ahead of other programs (text animators) and that's something I wouldn't wanna miss when doing complex infographics and DVD menues just like the scripting and expressions which I find far superior to anything I've seen in other compositing programs ( I find what they in combustion* call expressions extremely cheesy and low-fi). And let's not forget: AE is by far the compositing app with the most third party plugins available that can solve many problems (or why else do you think other programs try to mimic AE's plugin interface to use them?).

Mylenium

JohnnyRandom
01-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Really want to check out the improved OpenGL performance. Hoping its way better than 6.5. MMMNNNN faster mattes & blur performance MMMMNNN

cgeveryday
01-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Hmm, thanks for pointing that out Mylenium. Just a question you may be able to answer: Can multiple people be working on the code at the same time? Are there only problems when there is overlap of what code they are changing? i.e. Do they change the code for the feature they are working on, compile on their own machine, and keep doing that until the feature works, then slip that new and altered code into the next main build?

akika
01-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Though Win2k is not directly supported, you may be able to use it on that OS. There are some issues with the libraries used for the interface stuff and OpenGL, so there's no guarantee.

Mylenium

This is what I thought. If somebody has made some practical experience here, a post would be appreciated!

Mylenium
01-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Hmm, thanks for pointing that out Mylenium. Just a question you may be able to answer: Can multiple people be working on the code at the same time? Are there only problems when there is overlap of what code they are changing? i.e. Do they change the code for the feature they are working on, compile on their own machine, and keep doing that until the feature works, then slip that new and altered code into the next main build?

Of course one would build the code modular and have the interface stuff separate from the render pipeline for instance, but at some point they still have to interact. This is handled by named and globally defined function calls, variables and procedures. So in practice this means before even starting to do the code, everybody of a dev team has to sit together and make up their minds of how to call those functions (and all the other programming stuff, which I'm gonna spare you). Should now one programmer not stick to those agreed conventions (for whatever reasons), everything goes kaboom and that can be a problem. This results then in a lot of what is called bug tracking and that's the tough part. Even though components as such can exist by themselves as mere code, you cannot test them unless they are brought together in a complete app (what would you do with an empty interface without any functions? if you get my meaning). So to answer your question: Yes, there are separate responsibilities and there's a lot of overlap, but one programmer can never really jump ahead and have his stuff done before the others. Who knows, it could quite well be that Adobe already have some fast code for masks or better paint tools, they just can't implement it because the rest of AE's functions is not yet ready for it...

Mylenium

JohnnyRandom
01-17-2006, 08:25 PM
BTW Great article Mylenium.

Totaly worth a look at if for those who haven't seen it.

Vympel
01-17-2006, 08:48 PM
The AE 7 recognize all channels presents in one openEXR file likeZ-depth, mattes or other "info" channel

cgeveryday
01-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks for that Mylenium. I guess it's a pretty big program with untold ins and outs. I still can't help but think they could have attended to a few of the smaller things though. Still some of people other smaller suggestions would have been JOLLY HANDY!! and made life a heap easier. Also in your article you mentioned the presets for workspace. I use presets now where if i have moved windows around or get a project from one of the other compositors here, I just go WINDOW> WORKSPACE> and then my saved workspace and it reaaranges everything just how I like it. Is this similar to what you were talking about?

evanfotis
01-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Though I agree on the graph editor being nice, your comment doesn't make much sense. There were enough apps using graph editors even before MAX.
I know, but from what I saw up to now , it incredibly reminded the 3dsmax graph which I happen to know. Can't say about other apps...

How 'bout Paint?
any improvements there?
No, no and no.

They haven't touched Paint at all?:sad:
I thought I saw some improvements at a review in DMN creativemac or one of those sites...

ratbaggy
01-17-2006, 10:31 PM
save a few listed features (the graph editor mainly) I have to say I'm disappointed at best. I guess only a performance/production test will show it's true colours.

here's hoping.

:)

Malcolm7
01-17-2006, 11:02 PM
On second thought I was hoping for a more realistic 3d environment nothing like 3d max or maya But more then the older version had to offer,At least a way to make real 3d text.Oh well So far for me 6.5 is plenty I mostly work on animated dvd menus and motion fx for /special events,I'm not in the tv market yet so I guess that 6.5 for me will be the standard,But I do want to move towards HDV.
Nice that it's here but 6.0 and 6.5 had me going WOW more so then this version.But I'm sure that some people with more advanced needs for this will welcome this version.

Aneks
01-17-2006, 11:05 PM
All in all an interesing update. 32bit/HDR and open GL stuff is very welcome. Thank god for graph editor. A little disappointed by the lack of improvements to roto / paint but I guess that is what silohuette or C* is for.

Am very interested in seeing how well supported .exr is especially in reference to using additional channels.As I have been playing with Nuke 4.5 blown away by how nice it handles them !

monovich
01-17-2006, 11:22 PM
I believe he was making a joke from my statement about 3dsmax. 3dsmax had a horrible graph editor and they fixed it in v3.

Do you guys think this expressly WON'T work on an AMD X2 system with Win64? Does Photoshop?

I'm in software buying mode, and need to know if I need to buy Win32 and make a dual-boot system.

And while I'm here. I'm moving over a lot of my work from a mac (for various reasons) and need to know if the Video Bundle would be a wise purchase over just AE. Is Premiere a respected piece of software? How about Encore DVD? I'm used to Final Cut and DVD Studio Pro.

thanks.

-sf

Spacelord
01-18-2006, 12:27 AM
i'm really excited about this and Adobe Video Bundle is one big killer deal :beer: I'm ordering mine right now.

Yeah this is an amazing price, wish I had the cash.
$1699. is just crazy, look all the apps you get.

Adobe After Effects® 7.0 Professional
Adobe After Effects 7.0 Standard
Adobe Premiere® Pro 2.0
Adobe Photoshop® CS2
Adobe Audition® 2.0
Adobe Encore® DVD 2.0
Adobe Illustrator® CS2
Adobe Dynamic Link
Adobe Bridge

dwigfor
01-18-2006, 03:21 AM
OpenGL improvements surprised me.. Realtime Blendmodes?? Trackmattes? Awesome! :thumbsup:

Script Editor... Hugely dissappointed with this! This seems like a built in supercharged notepad.. I was really hoping for a command log, where it displays whatever you do in javascript - which you could then copy/paste into your scripts.. If only it was more like XSI...

Any word if you can reassign keyboard shortcuts?

mlmiller1983
01-18-2006, 05:55 AM
OpenGL improvements surprised me.. Realtime Blendmodes?? Trackmattes? Awesome! :thumbsup:

Thats good to hear, I didn't think the new OpenGL would be that much better over 6.5? Can't wait to check it out myself.

Mylenium
01-18-2006, 07:02 AM
Also in your article you mentioned the presets for workspace. I use presets now where if i have moved windows around or get a project from one of the other compositors here, I just go WINDOW> WORKSPACE> and then my saved workspace and it reaaranges everything just how I like it. Is this similar to what you were talking about?

It's a bit more complex. At first sight it sure looks like the old stuff, but presets will alspo now remember panel states (with all the new docking stuff to play around), can be assigned one of three keyboard shortcuts and best of all you can cycle through the panels/ windows using keyboard. It's hard to put into words, you should look at the flash videos or wait for the tryout.

Mylenium

Mylenium
01-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Any word if you can reassign keyboard shortcuts?

You could do that even back in AE 6 - by hacking the corresponding pref file. Sorry, no editor on the interface for that.

Mylenium

Mylenium
01-18-2006, 07:06 AM
The AE 7 recognize all channels presents in one openEXR file likeZ-depth, mattes or other "info" channel

Am very interested in seeing how well supported .exr is especially in reference to using additional channels.As I have been playing with Nuke 4.5 blown away by how nice it handles them !

No support for anything beyond RGB and Alpha.

Mylenium

Vympel
01-18-2006, 07:20 AM
No support for anything beyond RGB and Alpha.

Mylenium

Equal the Combustion. Beyond of Nuke other software support these infos (Fusion??)?

ssalo
01-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Yeah this is an amazing price, wish I had the cash.
$1699. is just crazy, look all the apps you get.

Adobe After Effects® 7.0 Professional
Adobe After Effects 7.0 Standard
Adobe Premiere® Pro 2.0
Adobe Photoshop® CS2
Adobe Audition® 2.0
Adobe Encore® DVD 2.0
Adobe Illustrator® CS2
Adobe Dynamic Link
Adobe Bridge

And don't forget Flash 8 Professional....

"The Adobe Video Bundle brings together Adobe Production Studio Premium software, the complete audio and video post-production solution, with Macromedia Flash Professional 8 software, the industry's choice for creating advanced interactive content."

-Sami

monovich
01-18-2006, 04:59 PM
there's a version with and without Flash 8. The Flash version is 2000.00, and the non-flash version is $1700.00. It took me a while to figure that out.

I got the flash version. I figured "what the heck". I'll probably need that soon, too. I'm excited for it to get here!

Dutchman
01-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Finally its released, and it seems that it has some nice updates! I might wanna switch from v5 to v7 now... :p

By the way: I found an interesting demo-video about the new UI!

Check it out on: Lynda.com (http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=203)

Adobe is being NICE! :cool:

pierrejasmin
01-18-2006, 11:54 PM

No
As well, the RLA file extractor is still 8 bits

Pierre
www.revisionfx.com (http://www.revisionfx.com)

imageworkdesign
01-20-2006, 08:42 PM

I got caught out like this when I upgraded to v6.... they announced v6.5 two weeks after....

I e-mailed Adobe and said that I was a bit annoyed having only just paid out for v6.... they replied and said I would receive a free upgrade when they started shipping.... I expected just a disk.... received another fully boxed version of 6.5

Adobe..... good company to deal with in my opinion.

Regards Garry

Hooch
01-21-2006, 06:02 AM
I really like the new UI, it was about Fuc**** time!
I just hope Max & Maya learn something from Adobe. :deal:

beaker
01-21-2006, 09:38 AM
I just hope Max & Maya learn something from Adobe. :deal:I really hope your joking.

evanfotis
01-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I really hope your joking.
I will definetely second that.
3d applications, due to the fact that they had to squeeze in far more properties/menus etc, have advanced and matured in the UI field many years before 2d applications, which are now copying elements a tad too late...

Mylenium
01-21-2006, 12:18 PM
I will definetely second that.
3d applications, due to the fact that they had to squeeze in far more properties/menus etc, have advanced and matured in the UI field many years before 2d applications, which are now copying elements a tad too late...

Mmh, not really. Actually many 3D apps are terribly ugly and do not necessarily obbey scientific rules of ergonomic design. I can agree that it is difficult to cram in lots of functionalities into limited screen space, but does that have to mean we're stuck with buttons and windows from the stone age as in Maya? Does it mean that we have to accept XSI's interface that is in some areas toned down and beveled so much, you can barely read anything anymore? Does it mean we have to live with toyish, non-telling icons in Carrara and Truespace? I think not. Though an ugly interface doesn't stop me from using an app, it surely makes for a much more enjoyable experience if it's stylish like in modo without killing efficiency and I think if there is still one big weakness with 3D apps, the interface surely qualifies in many programs. In general I feel that all that usability and interface issues are far too less considered by many software manufacturers.

Mylenium

evanfotis
01-21-2006, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't disagree with you on that, and that's a reason each one of us has an application of preference, because maybe it was the first we learned or because it suits our individual way of working/thinking.
For example I could never stand the "Kai style" interface (Although Kai Krause is a genius) of Bryce/Poser, and even Zbrush seems funny to me...

I just liked the ability and extent of customisation of the UI that most 3D applications offered years before 2D ones followed-rather Adobe followed, 'cause for example Corel Draw has had these for years...
And always speaking for applications I've had some experience with. For the others, I have no clue what's going on.

tfortier
01-24-2006, 02:38 AM
damn... my tech guy at the company im working just said they will wait 6 month before updating it for know if there is bugs...

now I know... they are all GAY!

Grys
01-24-2006, 03:35 AM
don't know if this has already been posted somewhere, but a nice, little (1,2 GB) file called "After_Effects_7_0_Tryout.zip" showed up on the Adobe FTP server. I'm still leachin'...yeah, this is going to be a long, long night :-)

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/aftereffects/win

monovich
01-24-2006, 04:25 AM
yeah. I downloaded it and installed it. It looks VERY sweet. the 32 bit features have me very excited. woo hoo!

Other good news: It installed on my AMD X2 win 64 system and recognized 4gb of ram. That's as good as I could hope for!

The updated interface is very svelte, by the way. I don't have anything in production, but i look forward to playing with the whole thing.

Mylenium
01-24-2006, 07:27 AM
damn... my tech guy at the company im working just said they will wait 6 month before updating it for know if there is bugs...

now I know... they are all GAY!

Tell them they are fools. No software on this planet is free of bugs. If they wanna know if AE is stable and production-safe, I can say yes and if they download the trial they should be able to confirm that.

BTW, I would stay away from making remarks that insult people on a personal level. It's one thing to bash software and mock people for using the "wrong" tools, but it's another if it turns into discriminating comments. I'm sure there are laws against that kind of thing even where you live. I'd be wary of that - you never know if one of those people is peeking in and might hold a grufdge against you. The last thing you'd want is to be laid off for such a comment.

Mylenium

Grys
01-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Tell them they are fools. No software on this planet is free of bugs. If they wanna know if AE is stable and production-safe, I can say yes and if they download the trial they should be able to confirm that.

Well, I've been co-admin for a 400 PCs network and I can tell you from my own experience that a large scale software migration is not that trivial than installing a software package on your home desktop. Waiting doesn't mean sleeping or ignoring something that is new and maybe useful. In six months, the world's experience with a new software version will have grown a lot. The bugs will mainly remain, but if you read boards like this one you can be aware of all those "known issues". Another important aspect is always compatibility and the fear of touching existing pipelines - it's often better to finish a project with the software you've started it.
There are a lot of damn good reasons (for a company) to wait, but I share your enthusiasm...just took a quick look at the v7.0 trial and I don't want to miss it anymore :-)

Mylenium
01-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Well, I've been co-admin for a 400 PCs network and I can tell you from my own experience that a large scale software migration is not that trivial than installing a software package on your home desktop. Waiting doesn't mean sleeping or ignoring something that is new and maybe useful. In six months, the world's experience with a new software version will have grown a lot. The bugs will mainly remain, but if you read boards like this one you can be aware of all those "known issues". Another important aspect is always compatibility and the fear of touching existing pipelines - it's often better to finish a project with the software you've started it.
There are a lot of damn good reasons (for a company) to wait, but I share your enthusiasm...just took a quick look at the v7.0 trial and I don't want to miss it anymore :-)

I surely understand your concerns and even I'm a guy moving on to newer versions of programs reluctantly and slowly and since AE 7 isn't even available as a retail version here, I'll have to wait, anyway. As for the bugs - well, they will still be there in 6 months and I'm not sure if it makes such a difference if 100 people are complaining about them then or just one now.

Mylenium

MikaElla
01-25-2006, 05:09 PM
does someone who downloaded the afx7 tryout know what it's limitations are? is it fully functional and limited in time only or is is a stripped off version? i'd like to know if it's worth downloading 1.2 GB... thank you!

Mylenium
01-25-2006, 05:39 PM
does someone who downloaded the afx7 tryout know what it's limitations are? is it fully functional and limited in time only or is is a stripped off version? i'd like to know if it's worth downloading 1.2 GB... thank you!

It's fully functional (and even includes all presets and templates) but is limited to run for only 30 days.

Mylenium

Vympel
01-25-2006, 07:18 PM
To use the HDR compander is necessary use two of them (one for compress other to descompress ) ? The error messages is normal (This effects is only... 8/16bpc...)?

Mylenium
01-26-2006, 05:28 AM
To use the HDR compander is necessary use two of them (one for compress other to descompress ) ? The error messages is normal (This effects is only... 8/16bpc...)?

HDR compander is one of the few 32 bpc effects. Normally you would only use one instance to bring out details in bright areas that otherwise would be hidden. Dunno what exactly you are trying to do. Check if your project is properly set to 32 bpc.

Mylenium

Vympel
01-26-2006, 10:20 AM
HDR compander is one of the few 32 bpc effects. Normally you would only use one instance to bring out details in bright areas that otherwise would be hidden. Dunno what exactly you are trying to do. Check if your project is properly set to 32 bpc.

Mylenium

The Compander it must be used to apply 8 or 16 bits effects in project of 32bits, right?
I tried to use it like a Bit depht convert (one for compress the footage, and other to descompress and the effects between them)

Mylenium
01-26-2006, 10:52 AM
The Compander it must be used to apply 8 or 16 bits effects in project of 32bits, right?

Nope, absolutely not. It's no requirement to use the compander if you want to apply effects. The compander is a mere utility for bringing out detail in images, nothing more. If your OpenEXR or radiance file does not contain values that require the use of compander, then you don't use it. It's as simple as that. However, most of the time you will need it since HDR data is not linear.

Mylenium

Vympel
01-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Ok, The Compander is used to bring the details (information) of HDR file to use this information in other effects (don´t support 32bpc) like in the help of AE ?

Grys
01-26-2006, 12:27 PM
It's fully functional (and even includes all presets and templates) but is limited to run for only 30 days.
Well it's fully functional (I even did a title for a project with the trial), but not absolutely fully featured, e.g. there's no keylight and no Adobe Bridge. And - I don't know if this is any different in the full version but I think I've read that this feature actually has been implented: I couldn't import any HDV footage yet (not as m2v nor as Cineform-AVI).

Mylenium
01-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Well it's fully functional (I even did a title for a project with the trial), but not absolutely fully featured, e.g. there's no keylight and no Adobe Bridge. And - I don't know if this is any different in the full version but I think I've read that this feature actually has been implented: I couldn't import any HDV footage yet (not as m2v nor as Cineform-AVI).

None of the additional plugins were part of the tryouts of older versions either, so it is fully featured. Didn't know about Bridge, though. I was told they would include it. anyway, you're not missing much. Bridge is slow and clunky and except for previewing presets there is nothing you couldn't do with other image viewing programs. No ideas about HDV, since I don't use it. Seems to be a common problem, so perhaps you should file a bug report with Adobe.

Mylenium

evanfotis
01-26-2006, 06:49 PM
there's no keylight and no Adobe Bridge.

Are you talking about the download trial version?
If so, in the "After_Effects_7_0_Tryout.zip " there is a "bridge" folder, which contains A"dobe Bridge 1.0.msi" a setup file.

Just run it.

_

rsquires
01-27-2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks for pointing out the trial version of AE. Very cool indeed. I downloaded it and am testing at the moment.

I will have to update my Decklink drivers for output to an external monitor, but I know this is an issue so that's not a problem.

More of a worry however is the lack of support for the high fidelity Open GL effects. When you show the card info it appears thus:

Renderer: ATI Radeon 9800 Open GL Engine
Version: 1.5 ATI-1.4.6

Supported effects are as before, ie lighting and shadows. However the more accurate capabilities are not supported, like Blending Modes, Adjustment Layers, Accelerated effects etc. This contradicts the Adobe site which says that these cards are supported, with the exception of antialiasing and motion blur

How do I update my ATI drivers to get these benefits? I am using 10.4.2 at the moment so maybe I haven't got the latest ones.

I know there was updates for OGL in 10.4.4, so maybe this is the isssue. Can anyone confirm that they are able to use the more accurate capabilities with the 9800 card on a mac, and note their setup

regards

rich

Mylenium
01-27-2006, 05:54 AM
Thanks for pointing out the trial version of AE. Very cool indeed. I downloaded it and am testing at the moment.

I will have to update my Decklink drivers for output to an external monitor, but I know this is an issue so that's not a problem.

More of a worry however is the lack of support for the high fidelity Open GL effects. When you show the card info it appears thus:

Renderer: ATI Radeon 9800 Open GL Engine
Version: 1.5 ATI-1.4.6

Supported effects are as before, ie lighting and shadows. However the more accurate capabilities are not supported, like Blending Modes, Adjustment Layers, Accelerated effects etc. This contradicts the Adobe site which says that these cards are supported, with the exception of antialiasing and motion blur

How do I update my ATI drivers to get these benefits? I am using 10.4.2 at the moment so maybe I haven't got the latest ones.

I know there was updates for OGL in 10.4.4, so maybe this is the isssue. Can anyone confirm that they are able to use the more accurate capabilities with the 9800 card on a mac, and note their setup

regards

rich

You need to update your MacOS. Pre 10.4.3 does not support OpenGL 2.0. This is also stated in my article at creativeCOW.

Mylenium

klingspor
01-27-2006, 08:56 AM
I have a similar problem as rsquires: The "More accurate" OpenGL doesn't work. However, I'm on Windows and AE7 reports the more accurate features as "Not Supported".

I just got a new graphics card (Geforce 6600), which happens to be in Adobe's list of compatible cards. I also installed the latest drivers, but still no go. AE7 even reports that I have OpenGL 2.01... any ideas? I'd really like to try this feature!

Mylenium
01-27-2006, 09:09 AM
I have a similar problem as rsquires: The "More accurate" OpenGL doesn't work. However, I'm on Windows and AE7 reports the more accurate features as "Not Supported".

I just got a new graphics card (Geforce 6600), which happens to be in Adobe's list of compatible cards. I also installed the latest drivers, but still no go. AE7 even reports that I have OpenGL 2.01... any ideas? I'd really like to try this feature!

Have you tried one of the older driver versions? This entire driver combo thing is a bit fragile, so I always wait a while and stick to older drivers. Can't help you much with the specifics, though, as I'm always using real Quadros and my current setup works.

Mylenium

klingspor
01-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Yes, at first I was using an older driver and thought it was due to that. Now that I upgraded, it's still the same problem.

Just installed it on another machine... works fine there! Very strange indeed...

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2006, 09:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.