PDA

View Full Version : Character Fur problem

Ryokukitsune
01-17-2006, 01:51 AM
I have a character which refuses to accept fur. I can apply edit and render fur on dummy objects in diffrent scene files but when i use my character all practical methods go rite down the tubes. its not a critical feature but it would be nice if I could ge this to work.

I've see other people who have similar problems but i hope mine is fixable.

my symptoms are these

I can apply and edit fur on sepeeate objects (primitives) and it works fine. when i open or import my character and apply the same fur decription it appears in patches on the mesh and won't render at all not even in the areas it apears on. no change in density or samples will alter it.

I read that i needed good UV's, the entier model was by poly modeled and mirrored the geometry. everything has been UV mapped (to one side)

the geometry isn't cloased there are holes in the eyes and the throat but thats it.

I also modeled in quads but there might be a tri in it somewhere. from working in 3ds max i know that sometimes open faces and tri's might screw it up. hopefuly someone can give me a clue as to why this is screwing up

Me109
01-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Fur works of your vertex normals.... with the direction of the normals determining the direction of the fur.. Check the directions of all your vertex normals.. maybe the problem is there..

if so unlock all your vertex normals and apply a hard smoothing to the mesh..

cheers

yenvalmar
01-23-2006, 05:51 AM
and that solved it once and for all. but i remember how endlessly frustrating it was when the fur just decides not to render for no apparent reason. even if you hate nurbs, if the fur is covering it all, its not so bad, you dont need to make a perfect seamless mesh cause its furry ya know?

http://www.yenvalmar.com/commercial/rendered/stills/pages/bonbon_01.htm

has a fair bit of info about how i finally wound up using maya fur with predictable results. if you already have you character modelled in polys that can be used as a template for your nurbs to make a new one very quickly, unless its really complicated :/

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2006, 05:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.