PDA

View Full Version : Effects Questions (Slow Motion/Time Motion)

Indesium
01-16-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm shooting a scene in a movie where the character hits the ground and his body bounces up slightly and then rest against the ground again. The scene is going to be in slow motion though, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to do that in After Effects.

Specifically, for anyone who has seen the new King Kong..the scene when the tribal people start killing crew members when they first step foot on Skull Island. I was wondering how that whole scene was done. (It seems like slow motion with fast motion around it?)

Thanks!

Vympel
01-16-2006, 07:10 PM
You can use the Time Remap in AE, but for best results considers the use of Plugins (Twixtor)

Indesium
01-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Is that plug in packaged with the pro version of the program or is it seperate?

rgwarren
01-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Time remapping is included in the "pro" version.

Kargokultti
01-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Hmm. There's "Enable Time Remapping" under Layers in my AE 6.5, Standard.

beenyweenies
01-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Hmm. There's "Enable Time Remapping" under Layers in my AE 6.5, Standard.

Time remapping lets you stretch or compress footage, but not very elegantly. It doesn't give you smooth slow-mo, all it's really doing is redistributing frames across a new duration, so if you stretch the clip more than 5% you start to notice frame stutter.

If you have access, Final Cut Pro actually has a pretty nice time stretch, I've slowed DV footage 600% or more and the result was clean, smooth motion.

WillRyan
01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
I almost bought the Twixtor plug-in last week for this very purpose, but I heard a rumor about AE 7 and held off until the announcements this week. Looks like Adobe added their own version in: now its a waiting game to read the reviews, but the clip on their site looks promising!

pierrejasmin
01-19-2006, 12:49 AM
I almost bought the Twixtor plug-in last week for this very purpose, but I heard a rumor about AE 7 and held off until the announcements this week. Looks like Adobe added their own version in: now its a waiting game to read the reviews, but the clip on their site looks promising!

I can answer first hand (and yes I am biased) but the technology they licensed from another 3rd party developer (I guess we should better publicize our free drinks for product managers program) is similar to the regular version of Twixtor. I could only argue things like it's much slower and harder to use... It's probably not a replacement for Twixtor PRO which is a much more complete solution as it provides a lot of ways to handle problematic material (this being "motion estimation" -- tracking so it does not always work), so when it does not work and it's not option to do something else (as in use another shot or another effect) one might need to get Twixtor anyway.

Pierre
www.revisionfx.com (http://www.revisionfx.com/)

WillRyan
01-19-2006, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Pierre! A friend of mine showed me the ropes with Twixtor yesterday and I was pretty surprised at the high quality of the results, as well as the ability to adjust when needed. From what I've read, (I haven't gotten my copy in the mail yet!), PixelMotion and TimeWarp seem to be welcome additions to AE, but they're a bit slow and clumsy to work with.

It's starting to feel like Adobe is going the Discreet/Autodesk route in updating: add dramatic bullet points by buying up plug-in tech, while catching up internally on under-the-hood legacy issues. It seems like third-party companies are getting hammered by some of these new features.

As an aside, does it feel like the AE team have been looking closely at the UI and workflow of 3D software for this version? At work, we always wonder why more programs don't share some of the common things that programs like Max, Maya, and XSI all have. I'm really excited about the ability to work with a sweet-looking graph editor, have four customized views and the ability to slide my UI wherever I want it. That tilda (~!) option to maximize a viewport is a no-brainer, as well as being able to tab through all my windows. Even though they aren't deal-breaking bullet points, it's cool to see Adobe coming to their senses on some of the workflow issues that never made much sense to anyone coming over from a 3D background.

pierrejasmin
01-19-2006, 07:03 PM
As an aside, does it feel like the AE team have been looking closely at the UI and workflow of 3D software for this version? At work, we always wonder why more programs don't share some of the common things that programs like Max, Maya, and XSI all have. I'm really excited about the ability to work with a sweet-looking graph editor, have four customized views and the ability to slide my UI wherever I want it. That tilda (~!) option to maximize a viewport is a no-brainer, as well as being able to tab through all my windows. Even though they aren't deal-breaking bullet points, it's cool to see Adobe coming to their senses on some of the workflow issues that never made much sense to anyone coming over from a 3D background.

They did an effort to upgrade their GUI but nothing in the area of 3D, for GUI in part though it's a cross company effort to work toward an unified Adobe GUI look and base services (Help Center, Bridge, Download Manager or whatever it's called -- maybe the stuff Adobe India does not sure). The AE team probably as a net effect gets probably more and more absorbed into the general Adobe culture and probably spend more and more time supporting it , thus thinking like it by osmosis say, rather then developing new things.

Pierre

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.