PDA

View Full Version : :: Blend shape trauma ::

kriscain
01-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi,

I've made me Blend shape.. click duplicate then original and create blend. When into Show all inputs and dragged below etc...

This is great but as soon as I adjust my blend slider to one my character deforms.. e.g head and body uvs move a little.

all my bones are freezed and its just a straight dup? Any ideas....???

Me109
01-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah... your workflow is a bit wrong here..

firstly you should apply all blendshapes before you skin

It best you take your un skinned original head, freeze its transforms, and then duplicate.. you can move this duplicate off to one side and change as required... what ever you do.. do not reset any transforms on the duplicated head.

anyhow after you make your shape.. make a blendshape...
and then skin the original head..

thats it..

Craiger
01-17-2006, 04:52 PM
There really isn't anything wrong with your workflow, but you want to make sure that you turn off all your deformers that are affecting your mesh before you duplicate to make your blendshapes.

So, before you make your duplicate, go into Window>Settings and Preferences>Performance settings and turn off all of the deformers in the list. Now you can duplicate your geometry and move it off to the side. Now turn the deformers in the performance settings back on and you should be good to go.

The reason you are getting small movements in part of your character is probably because your bones or additonal deformers have moved some of your geomety after you bound it. By turning off the performance settings, you are basically seeing your mesh in its original shape before anything actually deforms it.

werd up.

kriscain
02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Great stuff, i'll try it out in a bit.

Don't suppose you have any solutions for my uvmap slipping.
Basically, I've rigged my dude and then went back and gave
him more realistic looking texture. Prob is, when he know moves
the texture slips around the model...

Any ideas?

dunkelzahn
02-06-2006, 01:11 PM
´Ello, ´ello! What´s going on ´ere?

Did you give him a new texture or a new texture mapping?

That´s important, as if you applied a new mapping on it after you did your rigging, then all deformation from your rig will now be applied onto your UV mapping.

Well, mate! I´m sorry to say, that you are in abit of a sitution here. Mapping after you rigged is a big nono in Maya. However you can do the following:

a.) Duplicate, drop your rigging , remap and then reskin (aaaand CopySkinWeights from your old rig, hehehe, saves a lot of work)
b.) create an unskinned duplicate of your mesh and use Polygons -> Transfer with only UVSets checked (Ah yes, did I mention you need to create UVSets for this :))
c.)There is a tool for deleting non-skinning history, if you have saved an UVSet beforeward, you might be able to apply it after deletin history (combining a.) and b.) might work, too)

Greetings from good ole Europe

Chris

Winner
02-08-2006, 09:28 PM
if youre texturing after deformers, or applying projection more to the point - just make sure you have "insert before deformers" ticked on to stop the sliding.
dunkelzahn is right tho - you should have this all finalized before you start deforming the character is any way.

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 09:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.