PDA

View Full Version : How to repair a corrupted max file?

tecsun
01-16-2006, 10:25 AM
My computer automatically restarted during half of the saving process. After restart, I open the max file, but "File Open Failed"!!! OMG!

Is there any way to repair the corrupted file? I'm not going to lose that work since I've spent many hours on it. Please help me! Thank you.

naik
01-16-2006, 11:13 AM
You got no backups? (Autobackup - make use of it!)

Try to merge the file into a new and clean scene.
Also you could try to convert your file...

It depends on the corruption of course....

NAIK

waydorr
01-16-2006, 01:17 PM
yea right mine was even a max programe crash, ok what actually happend was that i working on a file and it got very heavy so when i saved and deleted some mesh and also saved again so on closing the programe it encountered error. so on lunching max again i couldn't open the last two files i saved. i had to start the work all over again. and for auto backup that was currupted too.

what is happening help
and does anyone know how to fix this?

abyjoe
01-16-2006, 01:43 PM
max crashes due to various problems and i think the most common it because of the video driver you are using. try switching to OpenGl if you are on directX as this will normally resolve the problems... but if your file is corrupted then there is nothing you can do to fix it but one last place to go would be to look for a .bak file somewhere in you max directory. Max automatically makes a .bak file of you last save. Remember, this is not the autobak or recover file as these have .max extension.

Look for a .bak file in max folder (dont remember where) and you might be lucky. hope this helps

PokeChop
01-16-2006, 02:11 PM
You can try naik's solution to recover some of your scene info. Some folks have had luck, others have not.

I can give you an idea how I work for future reference so this does not happen again.

Never save over the file you are working on at the time. Hold on, let me repeat that. Never save over the file you are working on at the time. If you do, you will, one day, end up with a corrupted file guaranteed. After working with Max since version 1.0 in 1995 to version 8.0 today, I have gone through some corrupted files moments. Don't get me wrong, I love Max but Max has an appetite and it tends to dine on the open file you're working on.

My solution? I do not use the autoback backup feature in Max and haven't for several years now. The autoback feature tends to pause my machine while it backs up whatever it's doing. Plus I don't feel like I am in "control" of my backups when I use it. When you use it, you also kinda never know what it's backing up. Then when you have a corruption you are relying on autoback to save your butt. Did autoback save the file version I'm hoping for? You never really know. Just feels like a false sense of security to me. Not saying it's bad. If folks use it and it works for them, great!

What I do is "save as" several new versions of the current file I am working on. I start off with a fresh scene called something like mesh01.max (or whatever you're working on, orcswithbigguns.max, deadlyteapot.max, savingmysanity.max, whatever) and save using the little + button on the "save as" function under the file menu. What this does is saves sequential Max files but just changes the number to the next in line. So mesh01.max becomes mesh02.max then mesh03.max and so on. Now it is up to you to determine how far you want to go before you end up with 100 max files in your directory. Usually I get to around 5 versions and then I will overwrite mesh01.max again and keep going overwriting 02 03 04 05 again throughout the day. Now I have 5 copies of a scene file and if the last file I worked on is corrupted, I can a least get back to the file prior which has 95% of the work I was working on anyway. Save as, never save.

Again, this does not fix your corrupted file problem, but if you work like this you can have some piece of mind knowing you can at least get back to one of your files and not loose everything. Ever since I started working this way several years ago I have not had any problems and once you start working this way, it will feel strange not to do this.

This my not be everyone's perfect solution but give it a try in the future. Hope this helps.

Taoizm
01-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Just to add on about the incremantal saving. A script that has saved me many a time is Martin Breidt's Incremental Save script. I never use MAX without it.

http://www.breidt.net/scripts/

tecsun
01-17-2006, 07:25 AM
thank you everybody! I got my file back. :bounce:

At the beginning I was unable to recover it by merging or replacing, even I open the autobackup folder in 3dsmax, it is empty. I thought I'm finished but I doubt why autobackup do nth? I browser to the folder using windows explorer. Oh, yes! got a *.bak file (thanks ayjoe, if not I will ignore the *.bak file). I convert the extension to *.max, then everything is back!

I've tried the incremental saving, it works best. Thanks PokeChop. I will practise it from now on, not going to lose my file anymore. And thanks Taoizm for the useful script!

waydorr, too sad you cannot recover your last file. I think we should just put the autobackup for the second choice, and practise the incremental saving.

Wish all the best~! Thank you again everybody! ^_^

timothyjpalmer
01-17-2006, 07:35 AM
max crashes due to various problems and i think the most common it because of the video driver you are using. try switching to OpenGl if you are on directX as this will normally resolve the problems...

I was unaware of this until last week when I was working on a scene. Switching from directX to ogl is actually what I had to do. That is really good to know for future reference.

waydorr
01-17-2006, 01:46 PM
well you all are all different cause i use not opengl or directX but just software cause i don't have a graphic card yet and i wouldn't like to experience crashes but i still get my software crashing wahhhhh!
anyways i think the best thing to do is just to keep saving sequencially as new files nothing else can be as comfortable so when there is a problem u can always go back to the last save.
even autoback doesn't have a better magic

abyjoe
01-17-2006, 01:47 PM

At the beginning I was unable to recover it by merging or replacing, even I open the autobackup folder in 3dsmax, it is empty. I thought I'm finished but I doubt why autobackup do nth? I browser to the folder using windows explorer. Oh, yes! got a *.bak file (thanks ayjoe, if not I will ignore the *.bak file). I convert the extension to *.max, then everything is back!

I've tried the incremental saving, it works best. Thanks PokeChop. I will practise it from now on, not going to lose my file anymore. And thanks Taoizm for the useful script!

waydorr, too sad you cannot recover your last file. I think we should just put the autobackup for the second choice, and practise the incremental saving.

hey... thats excellent to know... good luck with your work now...

waydorr
01-17-2006, 02:15 PM
thanks Taoizm for the link http://www.breidt.net/scripts/ it will really do alot for me

waydorr
01-17-2006, 06:18 PM

yea i forgot the .bak file is always there but anyways i had to do it all over again it was nothing much they were just morph targets only that it is painstaking but now i've learnt to save sequencially or incrementally as new files and bieng more careful

superhooman
01-17-2006, 10:12 PM
great to hear you got your file working again! I have had so many occasions in the past where I have lost a lot of work due to file corruption. There are some interesting tips in this thread so hopefully these will be reduced to a minimum in the future!

tecsun
01-18-2006, 03:46 PM
abyjoe -
thx!

waydorr -
me too. I have installed the plugin. lolx~

Milkman Dan -
thx! I also hope this thread will help others with their work. ^_^

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.