PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Zablan - Modeling / Lighting Reel

3dtazman54
01-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Hello,

Kindly comment on my modeling/lighting demo reel. Recently graduated from VFS last month, focusing primarily on character & environment modeling and lighting. I would also like to mention that I'm looking for a job. This starving student thing is starting to get old

My Demo Reel (~20mb) (http://student.vfs.com/~3d54tommy/TommyZReel_480x360.mov)

And since I see Dom and Lee have also recently posted their reels...I'd like to quote Umberto Eco:

"We (I) may be dwarves compared to the giants who preceded us, but if we stand on their shoulders, perhaps we can see a little further."

Comments and critiques are welcome of course. Job offers get you lunch and 2 free drinks (just kidding).

Intervain
01-16-2006, 01:03 AM
Hey Tommy - good work my friend :thumbsup: Well I've told you my opinions already so I won't be talkative here.

I'll just say this: GOOD LUCK! hope you'll get a job of your dreams :)

karabo
01-16-2006, 02:05 AM
good work you have there but you really need to put more on it. All you have there is one character model and 2 environments and if you want to get a modeling job, you need to show a lot more models than that. The same goes for the lighting part of the reel, show more examples of scenes you lit. If you don't have more models to show then this reel really shouldn't be as long as it is, you could cut it down to a quarter of the length.
Other than that, you have some really nice work. Good job.

JeT
01-16-2006, 02:38 AM
I also feel the reel is far too long for the content quantity. More examples would better illustrate your competency. I am undecided about your demonstration of both greyscale and colour outputs. I felt the soundtrack was unnecessary.

You could definately make a snappier version without music.

3dtazman54
01-16-2006, 05:37 AM
Magda: thank you very much. Keep working that magic of yours 'Hermione'. :beer:

Karabo and Jet: Yes, I see what you guys mean. I'm seriously working on improving my modeling speed these days. Thanks for the comments.

Heber
01-16-2006, 08:40 AM
hey man,
i really enjoyed your reel, my only crit is your girls dress/clothes are suspended in the air and it would have been simple to drape them a little better around your character (more folds/wrinkles etc)
My favourite was the outdoor shot by far, good stuff. Best of luck.

Cinimod
01-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Hey Tommy,

Great reel man, although there isn't that many models, the models are great! I like ur girl the most!

hehe I agree, the 'starving-students status' is definitly getting old! Hopefully we can break out of that soon :D

- Dom

3dtazman54
01-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Heber,

Glad you enjoyed it.

my only crit is your girls dress/clothes are suspended in the air and it would have been simple to drape them a little better around your character (more folds/wrinkles etc)

Thanks...that will go into V.2

Appreciate the input. And btw...I've been looking at your stuff for a while...and...damn. :)

monkey-sage
01-17-2006, 02:03 AM
loose the music. Anyone who is going to look at your demo reel is going to turn it off and it really hurts your download speed. You gain nothing by having it in there. It can also bias people who don't care for that particular song, and that is a ridiculous reason to have someone be turned off by your reel, but it happens.

3dtazman54
01-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Ladies and gentlemen,

I promise you the music will be changed by today...like in a matter of hours.

I knew I should have stuck to Enya...(j/k) :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.