PDA

View Full Version : full time IK

iso
11-29-2002, 05:38 PM
I always thought that Full Time IK was the way to go, or so I had heard, but when doing some simple tests and using Full-time IK I had popping all over the place, as soon as I turned it off, everything behaved as it should. Is this normal. I did play around with the Goal strength settings and had "keep goal within reach" and "Match goal orientation" turned off and on in all combinations. I am using LW7.5 and this was a simple test in which all bones were created in Layout. Any help would be appreciated.

wgreenlee1
11-29-2002, 06:21 PM
Depends on the bone.
For some bones fulltime is not what you want.
And then there not affected by IK of desendants also to consider.

Maybe someone who knows will reply.
I'm still new to all this also.

iso
11-29-2002, 06:33 PM
I have fooled around a little more in setting up an elbow controller, by creating a small IK target off the upperarm bone and setting it's IK goal to an Elbow_Null. This eliminates the popping, but then the Wrist_Null no longer fully controls the arm. In other words the hand will be in the same position that the controlling null is because there is another IK influence. I have tried to tweak the IK strength settings, but there doesn't seem to be any right combination. If anyone knows of any good Arm IK tuts please let me know.

I know in other packages the IK is solved by a plane, consisting of the base, IK target and some Object_X making up the plane. To control the IK you control Object_X this allows easy control of how the IK is solved. Does Lightwave have this? I know that LW has the ability to allow a person to manually conrol the rotation of selected axises, while having others controlled by IK, and I have tried that, but it sometimes when I try to rotate a bone to the desired position it is like an elastic band and I cannot get it to where I want.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.