PDA

View Full Version : Dominic Cheung - Modeling/Texturing Demo Reel

Cinimod
01-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Dominic Cheung, and I recently graduated from Vancouver Film School. This is my Modeling/Texturing demo reel I accomplished during my studies there. I used XSI for almost everything, Maya for this and that, Z Brush for Displacement/Bump Maps and Photoshop for texturing all the other maps.

Currently looking for work! hehe :D Questions, Comments and Crits welcome :)

DOWNLOAD
Right Click and 'Save As'

Demo Reel (43 mbs) (http://www.dominiccheung.com/Dominic%20Cheung%20-%20Demo%20Reel.mov)

WEBSITE

www.DominicCheung.com (http://www.dominiccheung.com/)

Music from Jamiroquai, Naruto and Life Aquatic OST

http://www.dominiccheung.com/webpics/shrag.jpg
http://www.dominiccheung.com/webpics/ben.jpg
http://www.dominiccheung.com/webpics/arrived.jpg
http://www.dominiccheung.com/webpics/joe.jpg

Intervain
01-15-2006, 06:26 PM
YAY! I'm first! Well I've already seen it and all I can say is you're my hero :scream: Awesome stuff there Dom. I love Ben, hehehe... the lipsync is really funny. I know you'll get an awesome job :thumbsup:

Domo_Digital
01-15-2006, 09:09 PM
What can I say Dom? Your reel is really really good, you've got a well rounded set of skills there, and the best part is that you do everything at such a high level. Ive seen reels where people throw things in to show they can do it but it comes across as half @$$ed, but everything you've got on yours shows off your stirve for perfection and maticulous attention to detail that everyone knows you so well for.

Two things I'd like to point out that I especially liked....Were both on your "arrived" set..
The first little tv on the top left of the screen, I LOVE that! And the lens flare, really adds so much reality and depth to the scene. :D

And in the words of Brian Johnson:

Stand up and be counted
For what you are about to receive

Hail hail to the good times
'Cause rock has got the right of way

We ain't no legend, ain't no cause
We're just livin' for today

And For those about to rock..... we salute you!:buttrock:

Good luck man, although Im sure you dont need it!

Adam

agasco
01-15-2006, 09:12 PM
yo dom!
man, this is an amazing reel, i just laughed so much with ben´s lipsinc :scream: , yeah this is some quality work dude. I ´m sure you wont have any problems finding a good job.

Well, good luck and stay in contact yo

Later!!

M_Fonseca
01-15-2006, 10:15 PM
:eek: Hail to DOM... it's about time u posted your reel man... i agree with everything adam said, your attention to detail is outstanding.. i have a feeling another 53'er will make it front page... u defintely deserve it man. Also, how much more accurate can Ben be... ??? hahaha it's pure awesomeness right there dude... and you couldn't have chosen a better pose for his face.. that's definately him.. haha!! :thumbsup:
I definately wish you all the best in the job hunt man, and i hope you find one in Vancouver.. " so we can get back to occasional partyin'.. Take care bro.. ~ 5 *****

3dtazman54
01-15-2006, 10:21 PM
That is great work. I was just looking at your reel the other night....'Someone' I know in the scholarship room actually keeps your reel in the local drive :thumbsup:

Your reel not only shows a wide range of highly polished skills, but is actually entertaining to watch.

Best of luck.

cgtalklover00
01-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Wow, the whole time I was watching this I was thinking to myself "I will never in my whole life be able to do that!" That is some amazing stuff!

Cheers!

shupersonic
01-16-2006, 01:34 AM
YO DOM!

Nice to see your stuff finally posted up these forums. Everything looks really amazing. My personal favorite is the train station. I really like the color palette and the fact that you chose to do a daylight exterior environment shows a lot of confidence and a refusal to hide anything with minimal lighting.

My one critique would be that if you choose to model a bust, you should choose to model a subject that isn't as ugly. But it looks realistic nonetheless. Cool stuff my friend

I hope our paths cross again in the future.

Later

Ben

fx81
01-16-2006, 05:29 AM
great reel :thumbsup:

pretty good modeling/texturing you got here and i specially loved the first model

btw, is this game Iron Horse finished or is it going to be released publicly when finished ?

kira-hime
01-16-2006, 06:31 AM
Wanted to poke my head in and say good reel...And also really enjoy finding other Naruto fans ;) good luck with the job search! :thumbsup:

Heber
01-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Hey dom,
Nice range of skills you showed there, all the best.

polybuilder
01-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm sure you'll get work. Very pro in eveything. I liked the lipsyncing, that was very good!

Sherif.Nagib
01-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Definitely one of my favorite vfs modeling reels. The bump/displacement maps on the lizard are of the best ones I've ever seen, you can tell how it's well thought and planned, specially the way a transition from an area to the other happens ..looks so natural. wow dude !
Best of luck with the job hunt :thumbsup:

andrebranco
01-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Yo,

Dude, I loved it. And I have it on my desktop for some days. You rock,you could show more life drawings though.

Amazing reel. 5 stars.

Take care, and keep in touch.

Andre

mgard
01-16-2006, 08:16 PM
i guess the link is dead..:sad:

oh...it works now..
btw congratulation...

rvallet
01-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Finally... you posted :) The lipsync is awesome, and so is the rest of the reel. Good luck job hunting :)

Cinimod
01-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone for the comments!

Intervain – lol, I don’t know if I’m hero material! But thank you : ) Hopefully everything is going well in the treefort! Can’t wait to see your reel when ur done

Domo_Digital – Crazy Cow Bell!! Haha I don’t know bout that screen in the top left… after watching it a couple of times… lol just kidding man! I’m glad u let me use it, I personally think it saves my piece!

Although I don’t listen to AC/DC much, I can appreciate Brian’s words. We’re all about to rock!

agasco – Thanks man! Yeah Feebs did an awesome job on the lyp-sinc. Hope all is well in Spain! Hehe, I gotta visit u some time ;)

M_Fonseca – Matt! Thanks for all ur kind words and encouragement! Hopefully man! but regardless where I end up working I’ll always make it back to party!

3dtazman54 – haha I think I know who the ‘Someone’.. Thanks for the compliments man n G’luck to you too

cgtalklover00 - lol, na don’t say that man! I seriously knew nothing about 3d a year ago, even now I still have a long way to go… but keep working hard and good things will come! Thanks!

shupersonic – Thanks, yeah ‘Arrived’ is my second favorite besides the ugly guy.. man that guy is just twisted….

Haha, dude I’m kidding! Seriously man ur way too harsh on yourself! Thank you again, I don’t think that model would been anywhere close to what it is if not for ur help.

fx81 – Thanks! Well, Iron Horse just got finished, and it looks awesome! But it probably won’t be released publicly, at least not to my knowledge.. But if the guys decide to post it somewhere I’ll be sure to post the link here!

Kira-hime – Thanks for the comments! Naruto’s awesome.. but I don’t know how much more fillers I can take! Argh..

Heber – Dude thanks for the comments! Your reel was one of my inspirations when I was studying. It was nice partying with u when I was in Van, hopefully we can do it again someday soon!

Polybuilder – Thank you! Crossing my fingers

Sherif.Nagib – Sherif! lol, your words are too kind for me! Thank you, and g’luck to too

Andre_branco – hehe, dude thanks! Hopefully I can get back into life drawing soon n put some more up on my site. Fer sure!

Mgard – lol, thanks for the kind words!

Rvallet - Thanks man, yeah I finally decided to tread the waters. Hopefully everything is working out for u as well!

3dcga
01-17-2006, 12:47 AM
I on the other hand, do have some modelling experience and I must say...Awesome reel dude! :bowdown:

fabianloing
01-17-2006, 01:49 AM
Hallo dom!

finally i see your demo reel! Dom! your reel is so amazing! so inspiring!
Shrag is so well made man! turned out to be so so amazing! right from the
modeling, textureing, everything! i love it man! so much character to it! awesome!
i gotta say, the lipsinc is so funny man! hahah! I also love your low poly! you showed
so much skill in your demo, i am so so sure you will have no problem in getting job!
awwesome dom!

-Fab

shraga
01-17-2006, 01:56 AM
YO DOM!!

The main reason I was waiting for the class reels at home was to finally see that well talked about Ben lipsync - but nothing!! you could imagine my dissapointment.. now that I finally saw it I just gotta say MAN that's sweet!!

The question remains which portrait is more accurate though - shrag or ben.. :shrug:

So as for the praise you well deserve: awsome reel with maticulous attention to detail and great rhythm. which is my favorite? - hard to say.. probably Shrag - and not because of the gesture.. It's just so amazingly textured... But in any case the whole thing is front page material if you ask me..

Good luck dude and needless to say - stay in touch,,

pum
01-17-2006, 07:43 AM
very cool work Dom! I really like the lizard man. great modeling and texturing skill u have!
keep in touch dude, and good luck on the job hunt!

HB

Escopos
01-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Wow Dominic! Realy sweet. :bowdown:

MasonicInc
01-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Dom wazzup,

How is Toronto?

Hope things are going well and thanks for your comments, needless to say you know how I like your work.

I know the length could be better, but ups! You know what I mean... In the future; short film, hmmm better yet; A JOB ;-)

Thanks,

Lars

lostPin
01-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Great and quite professional work!! The monster is perfect, I like the skin the most!

to-hell-u-ride
01-18-2006, 07:35 PM
wow, dom. you got a lot of work done in the last couple months you were there. Ben turned out awsome. very nice job on the face shapes. great animation too. you'll be able to apply to all those "generalist" jobs out there. thanks for all your help in term 6. (hope you didn't kill the plant) you've got an amazing reel so i don't think you'll have any problems finding a job. go get em kid.

ShadowM8
01-19-2006, 04:34 AM
Awesome work Dom! Your skills are very impressive, good luck in the job hunt!

Cinimod
01-19-2006, 05:52 AM
3dcga – hehe, thanks for your kind words! :)

fabianloing – Hey man! :wavey: Thanks for your compliments. It’s been soo long! Hope everything is going well down south and that I can come visit u guys one day :beer:

shraga – Thanks man! hehe, yeah feebs did a great job with the animation… hmm I would say that the shrag would be more accurate … I think I captured the true inter-orc in the shrag, haha j/k hehe ur praise is too kind man! ;)

pum – Dude! Thanks man, you have really helped me out this past year, your knowledge and work really inspired me! :bowdown:

Floyd Raymer – Thanks man! :)

MasonicInc – Toronto is cooooold man… hehe Thanks for your complements. I agree a job would be sweeter lol

chikos – Thank you :D

to-hell-u-ride – lol, I ended up giving the plant to the neighbors, don’t know if it was the best choice… Thanks for the comments :) Good luck to both of us!

ShadowM8 - Thanks man! Hehe I hope it’s not as cold in montreal as it is in TO :cry: hehe

I like using smilies waaaay to much...

Cinimod
01-19-2006, 06:09 AM
Posted twice... Whoops :blush:

Scotcho
01-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Wow man great work.. I laughed when I saw that Ben animation; excellent choice of music too heheh. You'll do wonders for any studio you join. Drop me a line sometime!

Adam.

pepelepuke
01-22-2006, 12:36 AM
hey dom, finally done with ben.....
nice to see ur final demo reel it is awesome.. i love ur lipsync.....keep the good work

feebsicle
01-23-2006, 12:17 PM
hey dom!
your city scene turned out just amazing. the lighting is impeccable! im really really impressed, even though i was there while you were doing it!

as i've said before, i loved working on ben with you. if you're ever in vancouver again, let's be sure to collab on something new. it will be 10 million times more sweet with the new skills we'll have after we get real jobs :)

take care dom, i hope toronto is treating you well!

rvallet
01-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Yo Dom... Great reel :) I am really impressed by how much personality you were able to put into the lezard. He isn't just another monster. The pose, the props, the expression... everything works so well together.

And of course I was delighted to see the final version of the lipsync. It was great to watch you work thru the whole process on that project. I must say I learned quite a bit by just sitting in the Treefort and watching Feebs, Ben and yourself slowly putting it together: great team work.

Bryn
01-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Yo Dom,

Love it, always impresses me whenever I see it. You showed a wide range of skills, which is a testament to how hard you worked throughout the year. I really liked Shrag, and the Zbrush work on his skin shows awesome attention to detail.The environment is sweet too. Your Texturing skills are like "Oh my f###" Good luck in future you deserve evrything thats coming to you.
and thanks for everything this year dude
B

lordsol
01-31-2006, 02:35 PM
hey man your guilty gear teacher's tell you thats insane coool reel man i thing you are not going to have problems finding job. wow this is spring me dude.

rockadiz
02-01-2006, 09:59 AM
I am totally lost in words!!! I'm still a newbie in 3d animation and I've been using max for over a year now. I've got so many questions to ask but what really blew me off are your transitions. how did you do those transition on the lizard warrior from textured to a non-textured model and then wireframe? was it done by compositing different layers of the model? hope you could shed some light on this newbie inquiry. tnx

ratatat
04-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Yoo Dom...
I've seen your reel many many times now, and I'm still amazed as the first time i saw it at VFS. My favorite is the lizard, but the whole reel is killer. Your scholarship time was well deserved and super productive. Way to go Rockstar! :buttrock:

criztu
05-04-2006, 10:36 AM
this is cool but i dont see much animation in the clip, it belongs rather to the 3d gallery

Cernunos
05-04-2006, 07:42 PM
your job is true inspiration to me. congratulations

Dreamstate
05-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Looking at your reel and having seen a few others from VFS I'm wishing I could have had the cash to go there. Your skills are awesome, trully awesome!

XingWei
05-09-2006, 10:58 AM
That is a very nice reel, i like all the little details u put in ur texture.

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2006, 10:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.