PDA

View Full Version : He's doing it again lol. suggestion for community growth. [messiah Project logs]

Layer01
01-15-2006, 01:04 PM
So i was thinking its getting a bit quiet in here again, and i remembered the request for people to show what it is they are doing, and then i thought wouldn't it be great if as people worked on a project, they had a thread that they updated as the project developed (like the cgtalk challenges). this could be a great way for people to see how others work, bring together the community and ultimately be a great resource for newcomers and veterans alike.
who knows no one may be bothered doing it and the idea may not kick off but i thought i'd give it a shot.

so tentatively i suggest a format like this (and i dont mean it has to be centered text lol):

Post name: Messiah Project log - *project name* *status ie: WIP*
so that they can be easy to search for

brief intro, to introduce your self to us all

screen shot
link to scene file

statment of intent
explaining what you are looking to get out of it in the end

things learnt so far
Updated as you go an are to list any things you learnt, hopefully helping other learn too

problems encountered
any problems you have encountered, again updated as you go along

The reason for updating the first post sections as you go is so users dont have to go through the entire thread to find any usefull info, and also help them help you by quickly seeing what problems you are having.
if you are looking for services to host your images and files I use www.photobucket.com for img hosting and www.filefront.com for any other file hosting
both are free :D

The benifits i can see for doing something like this are:

Community growth
learning
building a valuable resource for the community
motivation to start and complete a project

as an added bonus you could join the now busy IRC channel (its not hard to do) and chat about your project in real time, get to know other users better etc...
see my sig for info on this :)

so thats it, or all i can think of atm, now get off that lazy butt and get posting :thumbsup:
remember it doesnt matter how small or non interesting your project may seem we want to see it :wip:
course i'd be a hypocrite not to do the same myself and so I will be posting my project log right after this post, i was going to merge the two but i thought that could get confusing.
If no one can be bothered doing this then oh well, i tried...

Wireframes
01-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Excellent idea :bounce:

Phil

Layer01
01-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks Phil :cool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.