PDA

View Full Version : Any good, realiable tablets apart from Wacom?

dragunzng
01-14-2006, 10:38 PM
I'd really like to get a tablet larger than 4x5. but all the intuos' I can find online larger than that are ridiculously pricey. Anyone know any other brands where I can get similar features for a lower price? Links?

dbates
01-15-2006, 12:10 AM
There are quite a few cheaper tablets, but most people I've heard say they're trash. I think Wacom is kind of like BOXX--it's definitely worth the money.

commandercool
01-15-2006, 05:46 AM
I agree with dbates. I have an 6x8 Intuos and it is great. It is not incredibly bad pricewise and it is definitely worth the money. If you wanted, you could try ebay, amazon, or something like that where you can get them "new" (I think) for quite a bit cheaper.

dragunzng
01-15-2006, 05:48 AM
I see, thanks for the reply!

spmonahan
01-15-2006, 07:25 PM
I have a Wacom at home and a Aiptek at work and the Wacom wins, hands down.

dragunzng
01-15-2006, 08:12 PM
If it helps any, I'm looking for anything better than my current Wacom Art II Pad!

EDIT: This is what I was thinking of replacing my Art II Pad with Genius Pen Tablet. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883101103&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=83-101-103)

thistly
01-18-2006, 01:38 AM
I had a genius a couple of years back, was certainly more crappily made than a wacom. The pen was clumsy and heavy cause it had a battery in it (wacoms' don't), and it has no padding/grip stuff around it so it isn't as nice to hold. And it's shell cracked cause it was so flimsy. The usb cord became faulty pretty quick with normal movement (normal = from one desk to another, didn't twist it or bend it sharply or anything like that). The surface on the tablet (the plastic sheet protecting the actual surface) was kinda rough/gritty feeling, and wore down the nib very fast, My intuos came with 3 different kinds of nibs and the surface is much smoother (without being too plasticy and slidey like a wacom graphire). The pen on the linked tablet appears exactly the same as my shitty ol' genius one, but the tablet was only 4x5 and an older model so maybe they've improved the cord by now. Still horrible and gritty though, the reviews say.
Wacoms are WORTH the extra cash, anyone could tell 'ya :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.