PDA

View Full Version : GI Lighting Crutch

scoogee
01-14-2006, 11:02 PM
I use Max7. Been doing 3d for a little over three years, but just recently started working on my portfolio again. When it comes to lighting, I always seem to snag an omni and skylight. I like the outdoor look the lighting has.

I had always been afraid of texturing up until now. Now, with this new focus on the textures and the efficieny of the low-poly modeling, I started to rethink lighting. While doing some renders to test the texture, it came to me that my textures won't look like this when lighting is applied to a model within a game engine.

My main question is that I was wondering if it's misleading to use GI Lighting when rendering out pieces for a portfolio. If it is misleading, what lighting set up is best for making sure the texture looks the way it should? I'm not very proficient with MentalRay. I no longer have Brazil. So I'm pretty much stuck with stock lights thanks to Max. The pictures attatched are samples of my work: one with one omni light, the other with an omni and skylight. I understand that just one omni won't create a grand lighting effect, but it's demonstrating what it can do to a texture. Maybe I'm being ignorant, heh. Anyway, much help would be appreciated.

playmesumch00ns
01-16-2006, 09:42 AM
The second pic is obviously better :)

While game engines don't do GI (yet), there's no reason you can't bake the GI into texture light maps for use in an engine, so I think it's perfectly acceptable to use GI.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.