PDA

View Full Version : Post your Vray questions...

MikeBracken
01-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Ive seen alot of posts regarding Vray lighting and materials. Post them in this thread and I will help out any way I can. Of course, Im not a Vray guru or anything...But i can help answer some questions. If I cant help, mabey others can or, mabey I can point you in the right direction.

Regards,
Mike

LouisCho
01-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Hi, happy to see that kind of therad, thanks :thumbsup:

I render this scene yesterday with vray. I can say that I am pretty happy with the result except 2 things (who maybe can be one global thing).

First, I get a unwanted light reflection on the base of the wheel who actually must be in a shadow area, no? Why the middle is so dark and nt the base?

Second, the tire material is a vraymtl with a fallof in the reflect slot to produce anisotropic grain when light reflect on it. It's working pretty goob on the top of it but the base appear slick like a ice plane, I don't understand.

the ground is a matte/shadw mtl with a white environment. I use HDRI to produce skylight and reflection (in the vray environment settings).

thanks for help

MikeBracken
01-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Louis....hello. Nice wheels!:thumbsup:

The first thing that I would do is uncheck the fall off map and render, to see if you still get that light band at the bottom of your tire. At least then you can tell if it is a mat problem or not.

As for the texture looking "slick "at the bottom... I usually use bump or very small displacement for this effect. The noise map works well if tiled alot in one direction, or you could create one in ps pretty quick.

Hope this helps...post your results.
Regards,
Mike

LouisCho
01-17-2006, 05:47 PM
haha, I'll be crazy with this! :scream:

I solved the problems, I removed the light reflection on the base of my tire BUT I created another problem. As you can see on the image, the tire seem to 'fly below on ground'.
To solve the light reflection that I had on the base of the tire, I uncheck in the vray system in object settings generate reflection, generate refraction, . I got no light on the base at all! YEAH. but oups...the shadow is now so wried.

I return to my previous settings, no changes!!! I checked all environment settings, change my hdr, remove fallof, new mtl...all.

I don't understand. What can change the shadow receive by the plane?
I can e-mail the scene to anyone who can help me with it. just p.m. me

thanks

zx1
01-26-2006, 09:56 AM
hey MmikeE iam new to vray and max [3weeks] and i was wondering what were the best settings to render a hard object with no or little curviture i.e a dvd player or mobile phone

toub
01-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Hi there, I have a question regarding irradiance maps in V-Ray. I have a long hallway, with static obejcts. And all I need to do is a "fly-through" with a camera. I wondered if it's possible to save one irradience map for the entire fly-through or do I have to calculate the irradiance map for every frame?

I know it is possible to do something like that with Radiosity and Scanline, and it would be great if it worked with V-Ray as well.

Thanks

JuRrAsStOiL
01-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi toub.

You can create an irradiance map for the whole scene. It is somekind of a trick. Just render every i.e. 20th frame (depending on how fast your camera is) it is important that your camera can see everything you want to render in the complete rendering. if the camera goes around a corner or something in 5-10 frames be sure to catch everything :). Then use "Multiframe Incremental" and save the map. For the final rendering just render from this file and everything is fine :)

i hope you understand what i mean, my english is not the best :(

Wiro
01-29-2006, 10:33 PM
First, I get a unwanted light reflection on the base of the wheel who actually must be in a shadow area, no? Why the middle is so dark and not the base?

Second, the tire material is a vraymtl with a fallof in the reflect slot to produce anisotropic grain when light reflect on it. It's working pretty goob on the top of it but the base appear slick like a ice plane, I don't understand.

the ground is a matte/shadw mtl with a white environment. I use HDRI to produce skylight and reflection (in the vray environment settings).

thanks for help

The problems might stem from the matte/shadow material. Don't trust it, use the VRay Properties instead and set your ground to matte object, alpha -1, shadows on, affect alpha on.
If it still doesn't work, feel free to email me the file and I'll give it a look.

Wiro

MikeBracken
01-30-2006, 11:09 PM
zx1...that is a pretty broad question. Hard to answer. In my experiance, if you dont have a lot of curvy surfaces, you can use lower irradiance settings. In particular the normal threshold.

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2006, 11:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.