PDA

View Full Version : what is the replacement for painter 6's camel hair brush in painter 9?

warpy
01-14-2006, 09:23 PM
hi,

i have been using painter a lot recently and i cant seem to find the original camel hair brush from painter 6 in the new painter 9.

for all of those who are asking them selves if this is ryan church's brush.. then yes it is
but i searched google and cgtalk and there is no mentioning of a good replacement.
everything else simply lacks what that brush was.

so if anyone has some experience or knows how to replicate the brush, or even better share it with all of us. i am sure it will help everyone.

thanks in advance folks.

warpy
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
how nice i am posting to myself, ... anyways

i got my hands today on a friend's copy of painter 6, i looked at the setting for that camel hair brush and replicated them one by one in painter 9. the result is not good !

either some brush wiz do it for all of us out there, or maybe Ryan church should give up his brushiness secrets, or maybe even the guys and gals at coral with all the knowhow in the world actually deliver us the settings to create such a brush..

those are my wishes for the new year :cry:

cheers

warpy
01-15-2006, 06:12 PM
i decided i should release my allmost complete ryan's brushes with the added (not realy the same) camel brush, its the oily one named "ryan camel brush".
most of the other brushes are there, so enjoy

file attached.

--------------
ryan church
camel hair brush
ryan palette

zerae
01-15-2006, 06:19 PM
You can go to his site download his brushes and import the brush library in Painter IX. The camel brush (calligraphy pen) is in there.

warpy
01-15-2006, 06:20 PM
i actually did that a while back, it didnt work right. i'll try it again incase something has changed.

zerae
01-15-2006, 06:23 PM
See if it's this one.

warpy
01-15-2006, 06:28 PM
sorry my friend, its far from it. your brush is nothing near that awesome brush.
and on ryans site there are still only palettes for 5.5/6. so no cigar this time

Jinbrown
01-15-2006, 08:29 PM
hi,

i have been using painter a lot recently and i cant seem to find the original camel hair brush from painter 6 in the new painter 9.

for all of those who are asking them selves if this is ryan church's brush.. then yes it is
but i searched google and cgtalk and there is no mentioning of a good replacement.
everything else simply lacks what that brush was.

so if anyone has some experience or knows how to replicate the brush, or even better share it with all of us. i am sure it will help everyone.

thanks in advance folks.

Hi,

Ryan Church uses Painter IX now, by the way.

The Ryan Church brushes I have are for Painter 5.5. In that brush library, there's only one brush variant named "Camel Hair Brush". It's the Brushes' Camel Hair Brush variant . You'll find the same brush variant in the following location on the Painter IX CD:

CPainterIX > Extras > Brushes > Painter 5 Brushes > Brushes > Camel Hair Brush.xml

If you want the brushstroke's Rake lines separated, in the Brush Controls' Rake palette, adjust the Brush Scale and Bristles sliders, then in the Size palette, adjust the Size slider as needed.

Otherwise, I'll assume you mean the Round Camelhair variant since as far as I know, there's no brush variant named "Camel Hair Brush" variant in either the Painter 6 or Painter IX default brush libraries.

When the two brush variants are restored to their default settings, as far as I can tell, the Painter IX Oils' Round Camelhair variant uses exactly the same brush control settings as the Painter 6 Brushes' Round Camelhair.

To make sure the Painter IX Oils' Round Camelhair brush variant paints the same way as the Painter 6 Brushes' Round Camelhair variant, check your Brush Tracking settings in Painter IX to make sure they're the same as your Brush Tracking settings in Painter 6.

warpy
01-15-2006, 08:41 PM
thanks, i will try it and report back.
btw i emailed you today, so feel free not to reply.

warpy
01-16-2006, 01:03 PM
well i loaded them all, now i gotta try them, i know they work from a first glimpse

Per-Anders
01-17-2006, 04:07 AM
try the captured bristle brush under acrylics (i'm pretty sure this is clsoe to the old camelhair brush, but it's been so long since i used it that it's hard to remember). the one i miss and can't seem to recreate well is the graphic paintbrush :/.

Jinbrown
01-17-2006, 08:38 PM
The Painter IX Acrylics' Captured Bristle variant paints a brushstroke much more similar to the old Brush's Round Camelhair and new Oils' Round Camelhair variants.

The Painter IX Acrylics' Captured Bristle brushstroke is not at all like the old Camel Hair Brush variant's strokes (which are also different from each other depending on whether the Camel Hair Brush variant is found in the default Painter 5 brush library or the Painter 5.5 brush library, and in which Painter version they're painted, Painter 5, Painter 6, or Painter IX).

For the most basic brush control differences:

Painter 5 and Painter 5.5 Brush's Camel Hair Brush variant uses...

Dab Type: Circular
Stroke Type: Rake
Method: Cover
Subcategory: Soft Cover

Painter IX Acrylics' Captured Bristle variant uses....

Dab Type: Static Bristle
Stroke Type: Single
Method: Cover
Subcategory: Soft Cover

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.