PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Ideas for Future Challenges

Pages : [1] 2 3

jeremybirn
01-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Lighting Challenges are going great. To keep this up, we need new challenge scenes every one or two months.

Many of the challenges should be "simple" scenes - scenes that people could light in many different programs, or that you'd use as a test if you were getting yourself going with new software.

Some of the challenges should reflect common challenges of lighting in production, such as lighting animated characters, integrating 3D objects with real environments, dealing with hair, fur, reflection, transparency, water, etc.

If you have built an original scene that you'd like to offer for a future challenge (or know a person or company who could offer a scene), please mention it here, preferably with a picture.

If you have any request or other ideas about future challenges, this is the place!

-jeremy

ACamacho
01-14-2006, 10:06 PM
I though of maybe doing a simple indoor scene. Like a sofa/chair propped next to a lamp stand/wall. And maybe a poseable character (very simple...cartoony most likely) to add character lighting to the mix. But it may have to be posed before people download for software compatiblity.

I can contribute a scene if time allows. Or maybe 3dcafe might have some full scenes. Just my .02 cents.

MooseDog
01-15-2006, 01:38 PM
how about a challenge to depict a certain emotion using only lighting? no texturing, pre-defined camera angle, now create an image that says "the horror, oh the horror", or "I'm in love...".

film noir, 'nuff said :). create an image from a simple scene that reflects the aesthetics of the genre, which was pretty much defined by it lighting (am i correct, i think so).

overall, ideas that steer people away from texturing skills. i recognize lighting nad texturing go hand-in-hand in real life, but i think it can be done ntl.

Zarathustra
01-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Maybe something practical like product shots.

Another idea might be a multi-stage challenge where you have to light a scene for say 3 different times of day.

jeremybirn
01-19-2006, 04:42 PM
how about a challenge to depict a certain emotion using only lighting? no texturing, pre-defined camera angle, now create an image that says "the horror, oh the horror", or "I'm in love...".

film noir, 'nuff said :). create an image from a simple scene that reflects the aesthetics of the genre, which was pretty much defined by it lighting

Another idea might be a multi-stage challenge where you have to light a scene for say 3 different times of day.

OK, I'm working on one like what you guys are saying. I'm getting the scene together for a "Four Scripts" challenge, where you start with the same 3D scene each time but a description of the location taken from different film scripts (with different genre, mood, and time of day possible), and you light the scene as you interpret the fragment of the script that introduces the location and what's happening there. People have to do at least one for the challenge, but I suspect some people will do 2 to 4 of them.

-jeremy

Zarathustra
01-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Sounds pretty cool

reven
01-21-2006, 05:50 PM
i am hoping to get to this scene as soon as my next semester starts...though this isn't an idea for future...i am hoping that they remain open even as new challenges come up...i especially am interested in this fruit scene...already working on some grapes for one of my projects and at this time i only have access to maya at the campus and we're on semester break! great to see this thread and challenge developing!

JDex
01-21-2006, 06:03 PM
i am hoping to get to this scene as soon as my next semester starts...though this isn't an idea for future...i am hoping that they remain open even as new challenges come up...i especially am interested in this fruit scene...already working on some grapes for one of my projects and at this time i only have access to maya at the campus and we're on semester break! great to see this thread and challenge developing!

Reven... if you want to play on break, download the PLE version. Watermarked ofcourse, but you can play in the meantime. I'm pretty sure the challenges will remain open. No real reason to close them.

reven
01-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Reven... if you want to play on break, download the PLE version. Watermarked ofcourse, but you can play in the meantime. I'm pretty sure the challenges will remain open. No real reason to close them.

i only have 256 mb ram on my lap top...thought i need 512?

JDex
01-21-2006, 07:59 PM
i only have 256 mb ram on my lap top...thought i need 512?

Yeah... that's pretty low in the RAM department. It may run, but it'd be slow for sure.

reven
01-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah... that's pretty low in the RAM department. It may run, but it'd be slow for sure.

yeah, for a brief moment i was hoping i had made a wrong assumption that ple would use less...well i have only two more weeks of break and hopefully by the end of the semester, i'll have a better option for Maya! thanx

jeremybirn
01-21-2006, 09:36 PM

Yes, the Fruit Bowl challenge will remain open. Around February 1 we will start the Four Scripts challenge, but if someone wants to post another fruit bowl image, there are people here who would still look at it and could reply with a critique.

-jeremy

kevb3d
01-21-2006, 11:21 PM
I think the scripts challenge is key. It's one thing to do a product rendering, which is a great challenge in itself, but to take a scene and depict the words visually would definitely stretch the skill set. Many of us might benefit from it. It reminds me of a project that I had to do once for an English class, in which we had to draw a specific scene from The Great Gatsby. This is taking it that to the next level.

Kev

Samo
01-23-2006, 10:25 AM
There is a certain book plenty of concepts and exercises that can be used as guide for future challenges. Besides it would help people who have bought that book. I won't give names.:)

I'm particularly interested in compositing (Rendering in layers and Rendering in passes)

Rendering in layers has helped recently to finish a scene in time.

An exercise about animated lighting or animated shadows would be funny.

jeremybirn
01-28-2006, 08:06 PM
If people have any issues with file formats, I hope they can address them here. For example, are people finding that all the models are run together into a single object when they are imported? We should look into whether things could be better organized when transfered to different software. Also, it would be good to know how many people can import NURBS .igs files or something instead of all polygons.

-jeremy

Zarathustra
01-28-2006, 08:46 PM
I would think obj is safest.

I'm using Modo and LW. Modo opened your last object as over 100 layers (I'm assuming it was some kind of history that it was seeing). LW Modeler opened it with a few seperate layers.

LW doesn't do nurbs.

Ministry
01-29-2006, 04:49 PM
well, feb 1 sounds very close from now. . and very short in my case as i could only spend some part of my time after work. I think i should take the next challenge a bit seriously and be prepared myself and plan the time. But u r doing a great job. .

floze
02-01-2006, 03:50 PM
How's the new challenge coming along? Cant wait for an update, getting jittery! :drool:

jeremybirn
02-02-2006, 02:48 PM
How's the new challenge coming along? Cant wait for an update, getting jittery! :drool:

We should have it on-line within 24 hours. Really. The writing's done, I just have a lot of modeling to do getting the set together.

Importing the .obj file into different software, how many people found that all the objects got merged together into one big object? One lightwave user complained about hours of work separating polygons before materials and textures could be assigned. :(

Would it help if the .rar held a directory with 10 or 15 .obj files, like walls.obj, trim.obj, table.obj, etc. so you import each of them separately and can group them however you want? (Or do we need "file format volunteers" to do conversion for more specific formats for Max, C4D, etc.?)

I think everyone should start their own thread with their entries for the next challenge. Some people might be making up to four differently lit looks for a scene (or differently comped looks...), each look might have multiple revisions, add a breakdown and feedback and that's enough for a separate thread for each person's work, right?

-jeremy

JDex
02-02-2006, 05:03 PM
I think that the multiple .rar files will be helpful for the people who faced the problem, but many of us didn't. If storage space on the server isn't an issue, both would be the best option. If you need a mirror let me know.

I also think that each individual starting a thread will be beneficial, so that participants are more likely to get feedback and critique, some got passed by in this experiment.

azazel
02-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Importing obj can get tricky mostly because importer plugin options - in most programs i've used, there was a little checkbox saying 'merged', or 'single' or something to that effect - and sometimes these settings are hidden....If objects are exported properly, it's the matter of finding right settings.

sidd_sh
02-03-2006, 05:04 AM
Hi,
I would prefer the idea of "file format volunteers". You guys are right, everyone should have their own thread where they can post wip pics, different passes and different versions of the shot. Even commenting on someone's work will be easier with this.

Even I dont mind helping out for mirrors of the model files.

Thanks for the challenge and the help.

HowardB
02-03-2006, 07:37 PM
I’ve got a room scene that can be used in future challenges :thumbsup: LINK (http://bryan-howard.com/demoreel.html)

http://www.bryan-howard.com/images/room_small.jpg
(http://bryan-howard.com/demoreel.html)

Zarathustra
02-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Wow, that's quite a room. I'd like to examine it, but the objects are executables which means no dice on OSX.

jeremybirn
02-03-2006, 08:43 PM
That's great Bryan -

I'm sure we could use that for something in a future month!

-jeremy

djorzgul
02-04-2006, 01:45 PM
99% made by me:) so copyright won't be a problem. mr. Jeremy I send you a pm with details...
Respect,
Djordje

Hamburger
02-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Jeremy: can you sticky the Lighting Challenge threads, tutorials & breakdowns and this thread please?

floze
02-27-2006, 10:48 AM
My idea for a future challenge is doing a classic character portrait with a fixed perspective (Mona Lisa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Lisa)/Albrecht Dürer self-portrait (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer) style*). Though it might be more difficult than lighting static stuff like indoor shots, I see no reason why we shouldnt try that. It definitely would be fun. :)

*Not the quality, but the portrait approach! ;)

jeremybirn
02-27-2006, 12:57 PM
My idea for a future challenge is doing a classic character portrait with a fixed perspective (Mona Lisa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Lisa)/Albrecht Dürer self-portrait (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer) style*). Though it might be more difficult than lighting static stuff like indoor shots, I see no reason why we shouldnt try that. It definitely would be fun. :)

*Not the quality, but the portrait approach! ;)

You've seen how well I model ceiling fans, now you want me to build you the Mona Lisa??? :D

Seriously, we are looking for more character models, I agree that lighting animated characters is really important. I think we are going to start the hare/hair challenge early next month, but some animated characters should be on the slate soon, especially when we find someone with something worth lighting that's already been built, posed, and maybe can include texture maps.

-jeremy

MasterZap
03-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Honestly, I thought the "single big thread" for everyone was way more productive.

It's too hard to remember who's thread you read or not (and CGTalk servers don't keep good track of it, IMHO).

It was much more fun w. challenge #1, IMHO!!

/Z

floze
03-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Honestly, I thought the "single big thread" for everyone was way more productive.

It's too hard to remember who's thread you read or not (and CGTalk servers don't keep good track of it, IMHO).

It was much more fun w. challenge #1, IMHO!!

/Z
Thanks Master Zap, I second that. It definitely was more fun to browse through the big thread and watch instant feedbacks and comparisons at once. It had a way more compact and comfortable feeling imho.
I guess the one-thread-for-every-contributor only works with some layout like in the 3d gallery for instance, where you can easily preview each contributors image, work-title and maybe some short description. I feel quite lost right now with all the scrambled (because bump-able) threads.

Dan Wade
03-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Yea, maybe the first challenge thread were easier to go though.

Do we know when we will be starting challenge no. 3? Was it going to be a hair based project, or are we waiting for someone to submit some models?

Dan.

jeremybirn
03-23-2006, 02:10 PM
#3 will start next week, sorry for the delay. Yes we're doing Hairy Hare next.

I'm going to be looking for file format volunteers to turn .obj file into files for max, c4d, etc. before they go on the servers. Tomorrow I'll PM people who have posted file format conversions in previous challenges, if anyone wants to help with file formats you can PM me also and mention what software you can support.

OK, if everyone wants to try the 1-thread thing again we can. It'll be interesting to see how the new portfolio hosting on cgtalk affects the challenges.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
05-12-2006, 01:44 PM
This week we can expect a lot of new visitors. Lighting challenges are getting heavily plugged in the new edition of Digital Lighting & Rendering, and it just started shipping in the US, so people will be getting the book and hopefully taking a look at the challenges.

To welcome some new visitors, it seems like this would be a good time to start another challenge, one that's just as simple and open-ended as the fruitbowl was. I have one I'm putting together today. It's just called "bottle collection." I'll try to get it online within a day, probably late Friday night (US Pacific time) as soon as I do a bit more modeling and file format conversion.

-jeremy

ShadowM8
05-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Great, I'm very excited about the new challange. If you ever need any help getting models and such together let me know.

jeremybirn
05-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Great, I'm very excited about the new challange. If you ever need any help getting models and such together let me know.
We could use some more fun challenges: Anybody want to volunteer to model an underwater scene for us? I'd love to do an underwater lighting challenge in the future!

-jeremy

meanlebh
05-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Sounds great Jeremy, an underwater scene could be a lot of fun! If I get some down time at work and am able to help out with creating some scenes I will let you know...I hope to be able to do a little bit more participating in some of the future challenges rather than just admiring other people's work...Thanks again!

-Brian

ShadowM8
05-13-2006, 01:58 AM
We could use some more fun challenges: Anybody want to volunteer to model an underwater scene for us? I'd love to do an underwater lighting challenge in the future!

-jeremy

What kind of scene are we talking about? How big and how detailed? Style? Theme?
I see no reason why I can't make us something reasonable for a worthy cause, feel free you get in touch with me and let me know what you have in mind.

neuromancer1978
05-20-2006, 05:57 AM
An underwater scene would be great! I actually had a scene for a short story I ditched a while ago because it didn't fit with the story at all, but either way I spent a good 6 months doing R+D, tests (countless ocean surface tests), floating particles and caustics via specualr procedural shading. I think I still have the videos. ANYWHO.... since I have been meaning to get into these for some time now (haven't done so because once I get into it all the sudden this indie film kicks me a new one) this underwater scene would totally be on my list of things to do daily.

P.S. I would submit this scene, but all it consists of is a standard Las Angeles class sub and a water plane, not much pizzaz.

KurtS
06-03-2006, 01:28 PM
An underwater scene is an excellent idea!
I hope you dont make it to complicated - caustic effects and underwater lighting requiers a lot of time...

Some photo samples of (simple) underwater scenes:

http://www.bluewaterdiversbvi.com/graphics/wreck/wreck3.jpg
http://www.njoceanexplorers.com/images/Wreck_1.gif
http://www.bali-pictures.com/data/media/45/dolphin.jpg
http://www.stanford.edu/~chetan/Original%20Raw%20Photos/2005-07-10-Sandiego/San%20Diego/slides/1-P1010017%20-%20San%20Diego%20Zoo%20-%20Hippo%20under%20water.JPG

floze
06-03-2006, 05:43 PM
An underwater scene is an excellent idea!
I hope you dont make it to complicated - caustic effects and underwater lighting requiers a lot of time...

Some photo samples of (simple) underwater scenes:

http://www.bluewaterdiversbvi.com/graphics/wreck/wreck3.jpg
http://www.njoceanexplorers.com/images/Wreck_1.gif
http://www.bali-pictures.com/data/media/45/dolphin.jpg
http://www.stanford.edu/~chetan/Original%20Raw%20Photos/2005-07-10-Sandiego/San%20Diego/slides/1-P1010017%20-%20San%20Diego%20Zoo%20-%20Hippo%20under%20water.JPG
No dolphins, please! I mean, I love those animals, but it's just so last millenium, you know... :argh:

jeremybirn
06-03-2006, 07:01 PM
No dolphins, please! I mean, I love those animals, but it's just so last millenium, you know... :argh:

Agreed. Marine mammals went out of style somewhere between Atlantis and Fantasia 2000. :)

I already exchanged messages with ShadowM8 who plans to do the modeling, and it will be a cool, dolphin-free scene.

-jeremy

depleteD
06-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Uh I think a good idea would be depict a scenes emotion. Innocence, Envy, Lust, Hate, Perfeably an emotion of good such as love, or innocence, I find that is much harder to do that sometthing that is evil.

-Andrew

silvia
06-04-2006, 08:16 AM
I came in too late with the fruit bowl to get my work critiqued, and I was too busy to do the glass bottles, but I would love to try this underwater scene you guys are planning. Any idea when this new challenge will start?

KurtS
06-09-2006, 07:40 PM
it will be a cool, dolphin-free scene.

...but caustic light effect still looks great on a cute (and very, very intelligent) dolphins back!
:D :drool:

Loki89
06-09-2006, 11:55 PM
I came in too late with the fruit bowl to get my work critiqued, and I was too busy to do the glass bottles, but I would love to try this underwater scene you guys are planning. Any idea when this new challenge will start?

I have the same question, except that I didnt find this forum untill a couple of days ago.

ShadowM8
06-10-2006, 12:00 AM
I'll be finished with the scene this weekend!

jeremybirn
06-10-2006, 12:19 AM
I'll be finished with the scene this weekend!

That's great. I guess the challenge will start in 1 week then.

-jeremy

Loki89
06-11-2006, 05:09 AM
Awsome :bounce: I cant wait to get in on the next challenge:deal:

scottsch
06-23-2006, 07:44 PM
These challenges are a great idea. Lighting gets short changed too much when in reality it's all about lighting in the end.

I'd like to see a challenge that deals with emitted light - headlights, flashlights, lanterns, candles, light fixtures, etc. Doesn't really matter to me, as long as the rendering attempts to show the actual light source.

Azam
06-25-2006, 06:41 AM
Hi! I think I have idea for future challenge. We do a lot of animation in cg. I think the challenge of making a static picture will be different from moving picture. Correct me if I am wrong.

neuromancer1978
06-25-2006, 07:13 AM
Hi! I think I have idea for future challenge. We do a lot of animation in cg. I think the challenge of making a static picture will be different from moving picture. Correct me if I am wrong.

Well I think it would be difficult to do when all of us really use different software packages to complete the renders. It's an interesting idea, but I think it would seriously take months to create animated scenes for EVERY single 3D package. Maya, Max, XSI, Electric Image, Houdini, Blender..... and all the others that I can't name off hand right now.

UNLESS you go by storyboards and the people who are trying the challenges would animate. BUT then you are not really totally concentrating on the topic at hand - Lighting and Shading. Some of us might not be good at animation. And then it's not a challenge on lighting, it's a challenge on animation. And in a real production environment the lighting and shading teams might not have any input or control over the animation anyway.

But that is my two cents. I think some of us would like it, it would be an interesting twist. But some of us would not, and that I think would not be very fair.

MasterZap
06-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Y'know, I'd love a "dark alley" challenge.

Something like.....victorian london night street thing...? Cobblestones catch the highlight from the lone gas streetlight (and moon, perhaps), a nightly wanderer in his cylinder hat.... and a cat.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/MasterZap/lighting-suggestion.jpg

Maybe even some fog? I mean, it's London, innit?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f366/MasterZap/lighting-suggestion-2.jpg

/Z

silvia
06-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Oh man, that image is SO Tim Burton! I love that look.:applause:

MasterZap
06-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Lol, it was a five minute doodle on my wacom, glad ya like it.

Pity we need some Genious to model it. I can't model worth crap.

/Z

jeremybirn
06-25-2006, 02:28 PM
OK, I'll make sure a dark alley challenge is on the list - you wouldn't mind if it were a "film noir" look with they guy in a 1940's hat and trenchcoat and maybe with an umbrella in case it rained would you?

-jeremy

silvia
06-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Sounds good Jeremy!

Also, my 2 cents for a future challenge would be to come up with some NPR, since so far things like the fruit and the bottles have been photorealistic.

MasterZap, it doesn't matter if it was a doodle, you did capture the spirit very well. It is not my style, I don't know why, I just don't seem to ever go there, but I love that look nonetheless.

jeremybirn
06-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Also, my 2 cents for a future challenge would be to come up with some NPR, since so far things like the fruit and the bottles have been photorealistic.

That sounds like a suggestion for the people entering the challenges...

-jeremy

mcu202
06-25-2006, 08:43 PM
I have a suggestion, in one of my classes we had and assignment where we had to take a room with a window and do a day to night lighting transition (sped up of course - I think it ended up being about 300 frames) it was one of the hardest assignments I had to do and I would love to try it again. I dont know how it work logistically because people would have to post movie files and the render times would be a lot more but it was a great exercize for me to see how my lighting held up in a sequence.

MasterZap
06-26-2006, 04:31 AM
OK, I'll make sure a dark alley challenge is on the list - you wouldn't mind if it were a "film noir" look with they guy in a 1940's hat and trenchcoat and maybe with an umbrella in case it rained would you?

-jeremy

Personally, as a matter of fact, yes, I would mind coz I find film noir so "done already". Or just go watch "Sin City" or something.

If you want an interesting genre, gimme some steampunk !

Outside of my personal preferences - you're the boss. As long as there's cobblestone. :D

/Z

silvia
06-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Outside of my personal preferences - you're the boss. As long as there's cobblestone. :D

/Z

And the gas lamp! Don't forget the gas lamp!

jojo1975
07-03-2006, 01:01 PM
A future city like a "Blade Runner" landscape with fog and lights could be funny for a lighting challenge.
The Old london it's cool too

Jojo

MasterZap
07-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Jeremy

Perhaps look at this thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=377868&page=1&pp=15
maybe ask the guy if we could use his scene for a "guy under street lamp" challenge? His scene is a really good start (only misses the guy, basically)

/Z

Dan Wade
07-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Hay people,
I have this scene for donation if people fancy lighting another room? i actualy did it in the first place as a personal lighting study. Ive asked the guy I used the concept of and he said it was fine to use too. I have my textures, if people are lazy, lol.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=375497

Dan.

Dan Wade
07-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Moving to a new job in a few days, will but upload the files to Jeremy if people are interested.

Dan.

jeremybirn
07-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Moving to a new job in a few days, will but upload the files to Jeremy if people are interested.

Congraulations on the job if I didn't mention.

We're interested! It can be the next challenge.

That scene will offer variety compared to the more shader-intensive projects we've just had. If we have Gary Tonge's permission to do work based on his concept art, we can credit the scene for design as well as modeling.

I've been thinking of adding a texture map downloads section at some point (probably not set-up until after SIGGRAPH), so textures could be greatly appreciated if they are cleared in terms of copyright.

-jeremy

ShadowM8
07-19-2006, 03:36 AM
Here's a list of texture reference and resource on the web, it has some very good links and could help make the texturing part a bit easier. All of them should be free to use.

Texture Recources:

http://www.gamesextract.com/
http://www.animax.it/animax/Textures.htm
http://www.mayang.com/textures/
http://www.morguefile.com/
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6617http://www.sxc.hu
http://www.locationworks.com/library/cat/29/25/01.html
http://www.monitorstudios.com/bcloward/resources_textures.html
http://textures.boom.ru/texture/building.htm
http://www.grsites.com/textures/
http://www.imageafter.com/
http://rubens.anu.edu.au/lists/ Less of a texture resource, more of a concept development resource.
http://www.freefoto.com/index.jsp
http://www.afflict.net/
http://downloads.kingpinforever.com/textures/
http://www.art.net/~jeremy/photo/public_texture_frameset.html (http://www.art.net/%7Ejeremy/photo/public_texture_frameset.html)
http://digitalcraftsman.com/textureBin/textureBin.htm
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/texture/ (http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/%7Epbourke/texture/)
http://www.uniquemarble.com/tile12to19.htm
http://www.abandoned-places.com/ Just an awesome website.

jojo1975
07-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Dan's scene is really cool to light :) Hope it will be one of the next challenge

barrymcw
07-28-2006, 06:50 PM
This looks like a great next challenge.

I've been watching this last challenge play out and have been more than intrigued by it, though too busy to get anything in. I think I'm gonna have to jump into the next one as soon as it goes live and try and plus out my texturing skills.

Thanks for the great forum and looking forward to more good stuff.

JensDenker
07-30-2006, 05:36 PM
a friend of my created this scene long time ago:
looks very similiar i think...
hmmm

http://daniel.mueri.net/gallery/plant-room/Final1.jpg

ShadowM8
07-30-2006, 05:39 PM
It's from the same concept.

nojak
08-06-2006, 03:06 AM
Hay people,
I have this scene for donation if people fancy lighting another room? i actualy did it in the first place as a personal lighting study. Ive asked the guy I used the concept of and he said it was fine to use too. I have my textures, if people are lazy, lol.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=375497

Dan.

That scene is awesome! That'd be a wonderful next challenge! Shoot, even if it isn't, I still want to light that!

jeremybirn
08-11-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm sorry about the delay in getting the next one started.

The next challenge will start next Friday. It will be a straightforward, lighting-based scene, without a need for special shaders or refraction.

I haven't been able to contact Dan Wade about getting his hallway scene. That would certainly fit the bill for a straight-forward lighting scene (which is what we need after all these underwater issues) but I have another thing I'm putting together that will also be great to light.

-jeremy

ShadowM8
08-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Sounds great Jeremy, can't wait to see what you have for us.

yencaray
09-23-2006, 08:43 PM
I have a thought. Being a student and still learning course since when is there nothing else to learn in the cgi world?? I was thinking since yes lighting scenes are good but what about mood? light it up but add a mood? but insteaf of just handing us the scene with the challenge i think it ought to be cool to include a little "info" or lesson when starting each challenge on creating certain moods or lighting situations particularly for that lesson. not a this is how it's done but more of the technique to achieve that style and look. For example if one challenge was a scene that was an underground tunnel way or cavern that needed to be lighted from torchess or flash lights. You would give and state the lighting challenge and then one or a few moods that we could pick to create that apply for that challenge, for the moods for this it could be as follows: 1.Stark, mistky and empty 2. mysterious suspensfull and scary 3. warm calm and lonely . And then maybe offer a few tips or techniques used to create those. so for the misty or scary one i'd maybe offer some tips and techniques for creating and lighting a fog effect and making it seem scary and mysterious.

This is probually a poor example but i hope my idea holds. because i think getting correct lighting is good but haveing correct lighting with the correct mood is even better! this would offer us who are here to improve out lighting skills even more but also still alowing us to discover but with some direction.

jeremybirn
09-24-2006, 08:42 PM
You would give and state the lighting challenge and then one or a few moods that we could pick to create that apply for that challenge, for the moods for this it could be as follows: 1.Stark, mistky and empty 2. mysterious suspensfull and scary 3. warm calm and lonely.

That's like what we did for the"Four Scripts" challenge. (#2)

Providing tutorials for every program would be hard ahead of time, but once the threads get going usually a lot of info gets shared about how to render relevent effects.

-jeremy

yencaray
09-28-2006, 05:15 AM
Oh i'm sorry! I saw that one and i realy like that idea! so i guess i should say is i'd like more challenges tailored to that! and i don't mean a tutorial at the begining just a quick tip that may be only two sentances long. But....what about having a cavern underground passage way lighting challenge? I picture it similar to the caves you find yourself in the elder scrolls 4: oblivion. narrow and very round......with a thick low fog bank on the bottom...?

jeremybirn
11-09-2006, 10:08 AM
The next challenges that are coming up are going to be really cool. I just wanted to apoligize for what I've just done, I just edited the date of the next challenge out by another week on the download page, to give myself more time. As the production I'm working on at work gets busier and I stay late more often, I've been arriving home without the strength to do other 3D projects, and haven't done the modeling that I need to do to finish the next challenge scene. I'm sorry about this and it will get done soon. I think this weekend I'll finish it and we'll be back on course.

-jeremy

jojo1975
11-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Nothing to apologize Jeremy, just an occasion for us for saying thanks to the effort you alwways put in the community. After all this is extra job for all of us :)
Jojo

silvia
11-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Don't worry Jeremy, I know what that is like! We are thankful you even bother doing these challenges at all.

ACamacho
11-12-2006, 12:33 PM
I gave you a PM but just was writing here that some of us would gladly help out with any scenes to donate/model. Again thanx for the challenges Jeremy. :thumbsup:

mitchell
11-22-2006, 04:19 PM
well im new at lighting and stuff but for a challenge i was thinking doing a stage with like all kinds of lights and colars and stuff

IanCormier
11-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi every one! Ok here is the deal. What about lighting one indoor scene with no GI. I think it is fairly more of a challenge to light a complex indoor scene using no GI, IBL or FG. By the way Jeremy you tread are a fantastic source of technological watch.

MinaRagaie
11-24-2006, 05:25 PM
I've always wondered how you get the time to...
Model these challenges, Provide comments and feedback, update your site with galleries, and do your day job. (Not to mention writing a book that everyone who read it wants to thank you for).

I Guess everyone on this forum would agree that you needn't apologize
IN FACT... I agree with Jojo1975
it is a chance for all of us to say:
thank you, for all the effort you made making those challenges :thumbsup:

mer
11-25-2006, 01:26 AM
""Hi every one! Ok here is the deal. What about lighting one indoor scene with no GI. I think it is fairly more of a challenge to light a complex indoor scene using no GI, IBL or FG""

Although you have a point, I personally disagree.

GI/FG allows the artist to focus on the actual lighting by receiving realistic result feedback from the renderer without having to worry about 'accuracy'.

Moreover you also need to think about users that use software like Maxwell, if you use path tracing for rendering you cant switch off 'GI'..

It is more challenging to do realisting lighting without GI/FG..yes I agree.. perhaps a 'better' lighting artist's work is easier to be distinguished ..

..BUT when realism is important why not use the tools we have (gi/fg etc) , as we want to recreate the reality..(at least thats what most 3d artists want) ?

If someone wants to try to fake the GI effects ..he is welcome ..but we shouldnt restric someone from using them.

For some people 'going back' to tricks to fake indirect illumination is not a good workflow, it distracts you from the actual goal..that is to create something beautiful/interesting ;)
Cheers

jeremybirn
11-25-2006, 04:07 AM
An update: Don't worry, I haven't forgetting this place! I have a 4 day weekend now for Thanksgiving, so I'll be trying to get the new challenge and the galleries back on schedule.

-jeremy

MinaRagaie
11-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Enjoy your weekend, Jeremy :)

by the way... I was thinkin about Ideas for Future challanges and....
I wanna try lighting a scene in a forst...
Just thinking about the variations you can get from a forst....
It can be a scary night scene...
or a lovely morning shot with lots of trees...
or sth with that fantastic orange tint of dead leaves of automn..

not to mention the challanges that come with the need to deal with lots of vegetation and grass.

I know this might be alot of work... but it also can make quite a nice challange.

MinaRagaie
11-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Oh forgot sth....
a forest by itself might not hold as memorable shot... it Needs a "subject" which Ideally would be a character (but that just way beyond difficult, unless someone donates a character:eek:)
Just Kiddin...
Anyone likes the idea?? Can anyone suggest a subject???

Veliar
11-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Have a nice weekend Jeremy!

I think that MinaRagaie's idea with the forest is very good. It's not really a modeling challenge, because creating trees are pretty much hassle, but maybe something simple? I believe that anyway lot's of participants would like to add some mesh into the model, or as usually their own shaders.

Plus, the forest is pretty much work with shadows (which is good), tree canopy, volume light... Can imagine - night forest under the moon light, days forest, or like MinaRagaie offered forest in autumn, or snowy forest? :) .. The important is that those variations - "forest-theme", can be chosen by participants, what they want to light and render :)

KurtS
11-26-2006, 12:17 AM
hope you still have that "dark alley" theme on your list! I think that some kind of a (spooky) night scene would be very interesting!

Look at this photo: http://poty2006.dcmag.co.uk//picturepage.aspx?PostID=171324&App=paul_crokes_photographer_of_the_year_2006_portfolio&category_id=646&listingUrl=%252f%252fCategory.aspx%3fcategory_id%3d646&page_num=518&SortBy=PostDate%20DESC

Pyrokinesis
11-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Hello everyone,
Thank you for this forum, and the great book Digital Lighting and Rendering. I am looking forward to getting Critiques on my renders.

I would love to see some explotions, and or fires as challenges, it seems to be a subject that has gotten less attention. There are plenty of candles, cars, bottles and the like, but seriously, what good is something if you cant blow it up. :)

SoLiTuDe
11-26-2006, 03:46 AM
Thats what the fxwars forum is for -- at least most of the time. :)

mer
11-26-2006, 03:57 PM
I like your idea Veliar,

A lighting challenge with a forest sounds interesting.
Here is a pic I had done when I used max ,it was done around 6 years ago when I started with 3d.
http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/9451/008xn1.th.jpg (http://img327.imageshack.us/my.php?image=008xn1.jpg)

A small old house in a forest could be the main subject for the new challenge, perhaps with river or a path that leads to the 'main' forest..It could work, as you can light/render a scene like this in many interesing ways.For example you can make a foggy dark forest or a beautiful sunlit, colorful one for a 'fantasy' tale..
Just a thought.
Cheers

MinaRagaie
11-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Glad you liked my Idea mer...
I was originally thinkin' of a smaller subject, sth that looks small and lost inside the forest...
maybe sth that tells some kind of a story don't have a clue.

I'm not sayin' that a "small old house" won't tell a story, I'm just sayin' it's not how I imagined it... anyway... we don't have to stick to my Idea...
lets see other suggestions for a subject, maybe someone can develop my idea in another way

by the way I liked your entry in the last challenge, My favorite :)

yencaray
11-27-2006, 03:10 PM
I like the idea of a forest. Does give alot of ideas for lighting and mood. would love to see a challenge like that! good idea veliar.
Mer is that tree geometry, and part of the scene?

Jeremy - If you need help with scenes at all I'm more then willing to help with modeling. I'm sure there are a fiew others on here that would be happy to help too. Maybe even try getting ahold of the models from the people who have participated in past hardcore modeling challenges to use in scenes. for instance the HCM challenge 30 models in 30 days had a few people who finished it and well maybe we could persuade them to "donate" the models to use in scenes for props thats easily 100+ models. of course the other challenges might be of some help also. Talk to robertortiz see if he'd be willing to get the challenges over there available to use for the challenges. even if they aren't a complete scene a half scene mean only half the modeling is left to do.
for instance. I have an entire scene that my team modeled for the frankensteins castle... i dunno if you saw it. i could post some pics. it's a huge scene really and i've got 20 or so models for props and this and that from the 30 day 30 models challenge?
but anyways just want to see if theres anything we could do to help you out.

MinaRagaie
11-27-2006, 08:52 PM
The Forest Idea was my Idea!!
I'm just wondering... Y everyone is talking as if it's Veliar's idea.... it was my Idea...
No Hard Feelings Veliar.

Yencaray...
Love your idea about linking this challenge with the HCM challenge (love your work their too)
it keeps me wondering what happens to all those Models R they rendered to an Image, or they just end up there as un-textured 3d models and never make it to be on an image.

I think if there's a sure way to give the credit to whom it belongs to, you'll have more modelers from the HCM challenges, donating models for the lighting challenges.

so Jeremy, do you think that’s possible???

mer
11-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Oh I am so sorry MinaRagaie for not giving you the cradit to the forest idea, my mistake!

EDIT:

@ yencaray

Yes the tree is 3d so is the ground of the forest but i used photoshop for post work, like film grain and pseudo-volumetric lighting (actually nothing fancy,its just big-brush 'dodge tool' strokes with the same direction as the 3d lighting,but it worked nice back then).

Cheers

MinaRagaie
11-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Needn't Be sorry mer, I was just kiddin'... all what rally matters to me is a nice lighting challenge... it ain't important who came up with the idea.

Veliar
11-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Mina, you are right, it's indeed your idea. I wrote it in my post that i liked it! :) So thats why i've started develop the topic.

Diabolos
12-01-2006, 09:11 AM
I like the "forest" and "dark alley" ideas.

How about a "sci-fi corridor"? Might be easier to provide a simple model that could look really nice in the end. Crates, grates, portals, steam, pipes, panels, etc.

D,

ACamacho
12-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Total 180 from whats been suggested I know...just goin off of the eye challenge and the four scripts.

I think the next logical step is character lighting. It's awesome to light different environments because you have alot of creativity with moods and such. But three of the challenges have been that. I welcomed the eye challenge because it was something different and well more of a "challenge" than the others. And I think we should continue to have different types of challenges to mimick wha lighting professionals would see in an actual production.

Character lighting is the next step IMO....although tricky to set up as a challenge because of many variables with character models and whether to pose them or let the artist pose them. It's really tricky when you consider that having a character in the shot means in order to evoke an emotion with lighting you also have to have the character posed to mimic that too (so I guess the posable rig is better).

And you can still have an environment too....whether it is simple or a little more complex (like the four scripts/underwater) is up to Jeremy. :) Just my two cents....

But if this doesn't work out in practice then I am all for a forest scene. :thumbsup:

MinaRagaie
12-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Veliar... I'm always happy to have your Cooperation in developing an idea, in fact always happy when there's an idea developed by more than one brain :)

ACamacho... funny I was thinking the same thing about character lighting, It is indeed the next logical step... But I was kindda afraid to suggest it because of the work load it brings.
You need someone to design a character, model it and rig it.

if it is ever possible, to have a character lighting challenge I'm all for it.
(Ideally I was hopping to light a character in a forest, but that is just way much to ask)

mer
12-01-2006, 01:42 PM
I like the idea of lighting a full character.
The problem is as you guys said ,someone needs to provide the model, a very.. very good one but this may take a lot of time .Of course if someone is willing to donate a ready-to-use model ,well that would be great .

My personal opinion is that a fixed pose character could be easier that a fully rigged character, because there will be consistency between the different folks' final renders. If everyone goes for a different pose it will be more difficult to 'judge' between the different renders.
Of course you need a good environment and I agree that this brings a lot of additiona work.People will have to work on such a project for many months due to the complexity and this is not exactly a mini-lighting-challenge. Maybe we should focus more on simple scenes and put all of our energy on the lighting it self ..but if many of us want to give it a shot.. perhaps we should.:)

Edit:

Here is a great thread for those of you who havent seen it , about a full character-lighting project kinda similar to what we could work on.But this project took the man almost a year to complete , of course the results are amazing!Everything is 3d except from the hair ,he is still working on it at the moment. The whole thread is worth a read.

link:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=360276

Cheers

jeremybirn
12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
I agree of course that creature/character lighting is the main thing that most professionals spend their time on. While the eye was a good start, and the rabbit was a good creature for those who tried it, we really need some fully animated, human(oid) characters so we can light them acting in real scenes.

So far, I've had students offer to donate their animation to be lit, but they had been using a pre-rigged character provided by their school, so they couldn't get permission for us to distribute it. Of course animators who have designed and rigged their own characters probably don't want to give all of that away, either.

I think that a character lighting challenge would need to be "produced" instead of just expecting someone to donate it. I'd need to get someone to model or donate a character model, find someone to rig it, get animators to volunteer to do the animation, then get it baked out into animation in FBX or something that different programs could read... there's lots of work here, but it's a good goal for next year.

Of course any charcter should be in an environment, but we could use one we've got already, or make the environment be the challenge the month before the character.

-jeremy

Womball
12-01-2006, 05:45 PM
I have several characters I have made, although if used I would like credit for it, and perhaps recommendations, ;-) :deal:I build the bases in blender. But they can be used in any program when I convert them into an obj file.

MinaRagaie
12-01-2006, 05:48 PM
I like the Idea of splitting the environment and the character into separate challenges. It will allow time to focus on the details of each.

and BTW I wasn't really expecting it to be an animated sequence, However if it's ever possible... it's gonna be an awesome lighting challenge

ACamacho
12-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Hmm....I wasn't actually thinking of a full-blown production. Could be a good thing but I was mainly thinking on a smaller scale. Although....if it can be done would be interesting indeed. Something to prepare in the background while we do the other challenges...

I agree on using previous environments from older challenges....anything to save time since its a lighting challenge primarily. :)

yencaray
12-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Maybe we could ask people to donate a model? Figure if we ask now even if it takes a few months to get it you'd have it. Also whos to say the character needs to be hyper-realistic maybe we could do a sylized cartoon/not so real model? If i have image plans of a character like that i'd be able to model it.
Get the anatomy and figurative sketching sub-forum as a study to help, and draw image plans that could be used for modeling? that would be a start. I guess what i'm asking here would take alot of cooperation which oftem times doesn't appeal to people or at least the ones who are going to be participating in creating it...even though if rebecca and Robert agreed and got something to work there doesn't seem to be as many people participating.

But for an idea How about lighting a scene with A living room, Family room in the dark of night with a TV for lighting? Even a movie theatre?

TAKADS
01-05-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm in for the full character/environment challenge. Lighting is still one of those mysterious areas in CG. I mean you've got books, tutorials, schools DVDs etc about all areas of CG, from modeling to texturing to rigging, animation, compositing, dynamics, etc...but so little stuff about Lighting. I love Jeremy's book, and it was a tremendous help for my lighting skills, but things like production scale lighting remain a mystery. What's the workflow? How many passes do they do when integrating CG with live action? We've seen so many people share their secrets about production scale environments in all areas except Lighting. Why so? Its the holly grail of CG imho.

So Jeremy, if the character/environment challenge does follow on in the next couple of months, i also suggest we try first a CG character integration against a live background (It could also be a still, matte painting) or vice versa: someone provide us with some Live action footage/green screen/rotoscoped of some real character, decide on the actual feel of the image (as directors often pre-set that) and then match the environment to the character. I know there might be some compositing involved as Keyed footage is reworked from the ground up before getting pasted onto the backplate, but it's still a good start i think.

I just thought we could also try an approach to commercials, maybe rendering a car, but not as in a "product design" sense but against a liveplate(or still), all with animation in mind (as a full blown production). I think a model of a car is easy to find nowadays or people are willing to donate one.

Any thoughts about all this?

-------------------------------
Oh Lighting, reveal your mystery

jeremybirn
01-05-2007, 01:21 PM
TAKADS -

In terms of cars, I think you'll be very happy next week with the next challenge. :)

In terms of characters, that should be our #1 goal for the year, to get real creature/character lighting going. Not that the rabbit and the eye from last year weren't creature/character lighting work, but we need a full humanoid character or two, to be lit in a dramatic, moving scene. We might take an environment, lets say a forest or a spaceship or a detective's office, and then the month after we've lit the environment as a challenge, try to provide a characters who can be in that environment.

-jeremy

floze
01-25-2007, 09:30 AM
TAKADS -

In terms of cars, I think you'll be very happy next week with the next challenge. :)

-jeremy
Any news on that one? Or the character and the environment?

doodlerboy
02-01-2007, 06:48 AM
I was thinking maybe you can use my scene. This is my best work I've done (Lighting wise.) I would like to hopefully see what the more advanced people can make out of it. give me feedback on how they did it, and how they shaded it. I wouldn't mind letting you guys play around with it. It would help me out even more.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8711/finalcp7.th.jpg (http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=finalcp7.jpg)

yencaray
02-01-2007, 07:34 AM
i also suggest we try first a CG character integration against a live background (It could also be a still, matte painting) or vice versa: someone provide us with some Live action footage/green screen/rotoscoped of some real character, decide on the actual feel of the image (as directors often pre-set that) and then match the environment to the character. I know there might be some compositing involved as Keyed footage is reworked from the ground up before getting pasted onto the backplate, but it's still a good start i think.

I'd like that also. I've actually been taking pictures of this farmers field for the past 6 months capturing different times in the day, weather and now seasons so that i could do just that match a scene in under all the many lighting conditions i've taken with my digital camera. The nice thing about it is, being practically a planar field with the only trees in the background there wont be much matt working to get the cg elements in.

tedious
03-06-2007, 12:58 AM
@jeremybirn -

These challenges are great! I have a character model I'd like to donate for this cause. I don't know if you'll find it appropriate or not, though, can send it to you to see if you like it?

-tedious

jeremybirn
03-07-2007, 03:25 AM
tedious - Thanks for the e-mail. That's definately an interesting character. I see what you mean about appropriateness, but it's interesting none the less . . .

doodlerboy - Those are nice models. We've just done a couple of still-life challenges already, but maybe we could work them into some larger scene if they are needed as part of something else later?

-jeremy

jeremybirn
03-20-2007, 03:54 AM
I'd like that also. I've actually been taking pictures of this farmers field for the past 6 months capturing different times in the day, weather and now seasons so that i could do just that match a scene in under all the many lighting conditions i've taken with my digital camera. The nice thing about it is, being practically a planar field with the only trees in the background there wont be much matt working to get the cg elements in.

The next challenge will start on Friday. Tedious has modeled a nice environment and as well as a character, but we could make using the environment optional, so you could just comp the character into different live-action environments as well.

I had an idea last year for a project that would be all about comping a model into different environments, it would be a "roaming gnome" challenge and everyone would get the garden gnome model and have to comp it someplace different, but I think the next challenge could work well enough with compositing as an optional approach.

-jeremy

jojo1975
03-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Waiting for friday :) like the amelie Gnome how fun to ocmpose him in the seaside ;) I can try to check also a 3ds max version if I have obj

doodlerboy
03-22-2007, 03:58 AM
If fridays new scene is going to be a farm scene I am going to freak out! In a good way lol. I saw the update on Pixars newest schort "Lifted" and so now I'm just stoked about that too. lol

jeremybirn
03-22-2007, 04:44 AM
By the way, if we have volunteers who want to model a gnome or a farm, or especially some humanoid characters, contact me and we could use them. Friday's challenge is something completely different, actually kindof goofy, but it's a challenging scene with a character and an environment that was donated to us, and I'm looking forwards to trying it myself.

-jeremy

jpiette
04-02-2007, 04:15 AM
I modeled a gold Renderman teapot I received at SIGGRAPH 2005 awhile back, maybe if someone added a cute little room, pedistal, or display case, we could do that as a challenge:

http://www.jacpiette.com/animation/img_2.jpg

You can view the animated model tottering around at: http://www.jacpiette.com (go to portfolio --> 3D Animation).

warriorash
04-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey jeremy... i dont know if any one had suggested this before...

how about a challenge on matching real world lighting
on a CG element composited into it!

ie with a photograph and a simple model would do!, well if possible an HDR image of the enviorment also..

doodlerboy
04-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Lets do a Medevil Scene. Like a courtyard inside the castle walls, OR freshley deserted battle ground in front of a destroyed castle. That would be so cool.

jeremybirn
05-18-2007, 04:57 AM
We have some people who have agreed to do modeling work, although none of them have actually finished something and transfered it to me. We have a clear need to move into more challenges with scenes with characters in them - all kinds of characters, human and not, realistic and not, furry and not, need to be featured.

I'm going to be travelled a bit. Next week (May 20--25) I'll do a training seminar in Dublin, Ireland. Two weeks later, I'll be doing a seminar in Singapore, visiting Kuala Lumpur, and visiting the CGOverdrive conference. (As I mention this, if anyone on this list is around these areas and wants to say hi, please tell me!)

I'm not sure when the next lighting challenge will start, but I think we could start one around the end of May between these trips, assuming we can get the modeling done in time for that.

-jeremy

ShadowM8
05-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Hey Jeremy, I have some upcoming downtime coming soon, perhaps end of may so I should be able to finish some modeling stuff for the challenge to use including a character.

MinaRagaie
05-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Just wanted to dedicate my #100 post to the author of my favorite book, thanks a lot Jeremy for all the effort you're doing :)

I know 100 posts are not such a big contribution to the community, so I was thinking of a way to change that...

I modeled a character for my upcoming Show Reel (I'm currently working on the skinning), and I was thinking there's no reason it shouldn't end up on the show Reel of any of the fellow lighters around on this forums as well.
I know I'm not the best modeler around, so I was thinking I'd send you a WIP version of the character, so you can tell me if it's good enough to be on one of the coming lighting challenges.
I'll be waiting for your reply.

Wishing you a nice trip :)
-Mina

jeremybirn
05-19-2007, 12:50 AM
ShadowM8 - Thanks for the PM! Your mailbox is full so I couldn't send my reply, but I'm delighted you are still working on MasterZap's idea, and I love the other idea you mentioned as well! Even while I'm travelling I'll be able to view .jpg files if you send some to me. Cheers!

MinaRagaie - I think people here appreciate all the help we can get. Maybe you can PM or e-mail me with a picture of what you're working on.

-jeremy

titanwong31
05-21-2007, 03:29 AM
Jeremy--- Hi! I am glad to hear you are attending CGoverdrive in Singapore. Iam attending the conference on 21-23 june. So is there any possibility we can meet up? Are you going to give seminar/talk in the conference?
Beside that, I am a Malaysian. If you need a tour guide in malaysia or more information about Malaysia, just let me know.

jojo1975
05-21-2007, 11:07 AM
I got a still life scene completed and also an exterior temple scene... also a block of my city.. All full modelled, I didn't had time to texture, (started basic lighting). I will be very happy to "donate" them. I can send you PM. When will you come to Italy Jeremy ???

jeremybirn
05-28-2007, 12:28 AM
doodlerboy - Your PM box is full, so I can't reply privately to your PM. The nozzle on the green one looks good. Maybe they could both be pump tops, but the other one could be a little wider like this link (http://www.3drender.com/challenges/brandx/Nozzle.jpg).

jojo1975 - I'd love to see what you've got! .jpg files are fine if we are just discussing things, easier than sending models. I look forwards to your PM. I don't know when I'll get to Italy next, after Singapore I think I'm going to be staying here all Summer till SIGGRAPH.

titanwong31 - I'm not giving any talk at the conference, but I think I'll be there to attend a few days. I'm sure we could meet up somehow.

-jeremy

doodlerboy
05-28-2007, 04:23 AM
I deleted my inbox stuff so now you can send me more pms, I'll definitely do that with the other nosil and make on small and the other wide. I'll send you more pictures of Rough 3, tonight or tomorow. Thanks Jeremy.

ChrRambow
07-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi Jeremy...just wanted to say that i got more time and
i am waiting for a new lighting challenge. ;)

Because they was so relaxing after all that short deadline work
(and also that fast lighting rigs) in my job.

And i hope everything is allright with you.

Ackick
07-08-2007, 08:19 AM
hey i'm new here but just wanted to compliment you guys on some awsome lighting work. Some of it on here is beautiful.

I'm so thankful theres a form like this. Other then that if we have scenes to donate we just post images on here or what?

Ackick
07-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Well I'll post the images here anyhow, if anyone thinks they'd be ok ideas for lighting challanges ok. I got my robot hallway one. I'll toss it on my website with the textures to save you time although the file would be pretty big. Either way

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/ackick/ballPrint.jpg

or

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/ackick/DukeNukemBathroom.jpg

juansilva
07-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Both of these look like good scenes for a lighting challenge. If I had to pick just one though, it'd be the bathroom scene.
Cheers.

jeremybirn
07-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I agree with Juan -

The bathroom scene might make a great challenge.

-jeremy

Leotril
07-14-2007, 02:09 AM
Hi
I like the first one also :thumbsup: ..like that window is that an image behind the window or is actually geometry ? the texturing is insane only the lighting could be improved..

Nice modeling .. congratulations :)

Cheers

titanwong31
07-15-2007, 02:08 PM
I also prefer bathroom scene, really looking forward to start working on it. Really an interesting scene, if everyone have to use the same texture, it will be even more challenging n interesting.

Ackick
07-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I'll post it soon on my webpage with the scene files in maya (since i made it there) xsi and max files.

I'll also put the whole directory with the files and stuff up there so you can have fun and light it :)

ACamacho
07-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Bathroom looks to be a good challenge to light. Having more of a character lighting challenge would have been better but with everyone's schedules and having to organize it would'nt have allowed it.

Not sure if I will be participating though in the new ones though. I really need to finish the others but no time. :P Looking forward to what people come up with....really great renders in the past few challenges! :thumbsup:

*edit: I am tired....didn't see Jeremy's meetup topic. Lookin forward to seeing you guys at Siggraph!*

Krystofor
08-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Ackick, those are spectacular. I really am amazed by the generosity of members of this community, its great to see. Are they up on your website yet, and if so, could someone give me a link to the site?

Thanks, looking forward to playing around with a couple of very high-quality scenes.

liquidmetal99
08-21-2007, 05:27 AM
May be we shud try lighting some cg element set in a real life background...so far we've been doin all cg works mostly... may be its a good idea to see how good we can match to the real world lighting... it need not be complex...just a couple of cg elements set to a live background shud do thr trick...

mzee
08-30-2007, 09:50 AM
May be we shud try lighting some cg element set in a real life background...

That's a very cool idea for the next challenge.

BTW - when will the next challenge start?

doodlerboy
08-30-2007, 10:08 PM
I agree. The bathroom scene is fine and dandy, but it's getting boring to see stuff like that, lets do the CG Elements in real life now. Pretty Please??!!

jeremybirn
08-31-2007, 03:19 AM
I'd love to do more challenges that involve compositing. With the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I considered making that the whole challenge, but ended up providing the environment and making the rules that using the 3D environment was optional and you coud comp it into any environment of your choice. So far we've got him in a laboratory, a kitchen, out on a freeway, and a few other live-action environments. Still, that wasn't most people's choice for how they did the challenge.

Maybe if compositing were mandatory, and some kind of BG elements were made available, or high-def video for people to track and roto and integrate with, or HDRI environment that matched a background plate where the model belonged...

Many of the models we're already distributing would be good for compositing. If we don't want to do the FSM again then the truck from the Neon and Chrome challenge could certainly work well in a real-world street scene. The issue is just what new rules or elements need to be given out for that.

I think the bathroom will be great, if that becomes available then I can't wait to have a look at the modeling. I have another thing that'll just take some modeling work next weekend that could be great also, though.

-jeremy

liquidmetal99
08-31-2007, 12:42 PM
the truck from the Neon and Chrome challenge could certainly work well in a real-world street scene. The issue is just what new rules or elements need to be given out for that.
-jeremy

well... i happen to believe that quite a bit of compositing also goes to making your lighting look good... and it shouldn be looked at as a totally different thing.. [oh.. no..im not a compositor trying to fight for my rights...:) ] i think it'll just help to see how far your so called "finishing touch up" skills go...:) i think it'd be fun to do it... and yeah that truck so fits for this idea... :) or better still we could add more objects... oops..[Dont look at me lik that guys... ].... :)

mzee
08-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Maybe we could done a set extension - although this would probably be more texture paint than lighting

LukaStellwag
08-31-2007, 07:15 PM
A lighting challenge that includes compositing would be interesting. I'd love to setup a scene from the beginning until the compositing, that would be a great learning resource for me, especially because I'm not really into that right now.

Bye
Luka

doodlerboy
09-03-2007, 09:28 PM
I personally think we should be giving a small animation or something that is textured and animated. Than we go in and light and render it and show progress and try and capture a mood for that scene. I mean we are all here to learn how to become better lighting artists, why not focus it more on putting the skills towards an animation? I think that would be a wonderful project. Start moving towards animations now, and lighting them.

sick73
09-16-2007, 05:17 PM
hello all, since i work mostly with outdoor architectural vizualization, i would love to see a future challenge based this. mabe a famous house or a famous building.

cheers.

jeremybirn
10-31-2007, 03:52 AM
I'm sorry I've been coming and going from the forum recently. I'll try to get the gallery up for the Brand X challenge within a week or so.

You've probably seen that I'm going to be teaching my first CG Workshop (http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courses/000056/)starting on November 26. This will take a lot of my time. I have new tutorials and videos to prepare, and when it starts I have to keep logging in to work with the students who register.

However, I'm still going to be doing a new challenge that will start in November. Judging by the parts of it I've modeled already, it'll truly be a "challenging" challenge to work with, with about a million more polygons than some of the previous challenges.

-jeremy

MinaRagaie
10-31-2007, 09:35 AM
I didn't get notified of that... I'm definately in.. great news Jeremy.
I started contemplating my bad luck when I saw the "Gnomon Live" event cause I couldn't possiably afford a trip to Hollywood.
I was hoping they'd have a similar online event.
a 8 weeks CGworkshop is more than what I hoped for. :)

Edit:Just got the notification
-Mina

jeremybirn
12-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm just finalizing the file format exports and such for the next challenge! It's the biggest challenge yet, and it should be on-line tonight!

-jeremy

jorust
12-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Looking forward to see what you got for us. I´ve been too busy to participate lately, but I´ll try this time.

Baltasound
12-07-2007, 01:24 PM
I think im gonna give it a shot :)

jeremybirn
12-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Sorry it's taking a while, crazy schedule today. The files I'm uploading so far are at http://www.3drender.com/challenges/christmas/ and I'll start the thread and update the download page soon.

If someone wants to make a .3ds or .lwo file for me, I'd appreciate it. :)

-jeremy

greyother
12-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Looking forward to trying out my first lighting challenge!! Looks like a tough one too.

EDIT:
How many polys is this file? Maya crashes as soon as I import the obj into maya.
I am using a dual a P4 xeon 2.8G with 2gigs of ram . . . is that enough? I will see if I have better luck with the .fbx.

EDIT 2:
The .ma file seems to work. I think it is time for an upgrade.

EDIT 3:
// Error: No object matches name: mentalrayItemsList.globals

jorust
12-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi Jeremy.

I´m in the prosess of converting to lwo, but there is few parts missing.
See the jpg.
They are not in the FBX or the OBJ file...

jeremybirn
12-08-2007, 04:16 AM
polymess - Sorry about that! I have added a WrappedBottleFix.obj file to the download directory, I hope importing that completes things for you. I'll check into why that model isn't importing from the .obj or .fbx and re-export those, too.

greyother - You should be able to load this scene into Maya on a 2GB machine. As soon as I work some bugs out I will start the official thread, and it will have warning messages that this one really is a "challenge." The .obj file has about 1.06 million polygons, so this isn't as complex as most scenes in movies, but it's more complex than the other lighting challenges so far.

-jeremy

Samo
12-17-2007, 07:54 PM
I would like to donate this scene for a lighting contest. I did the modelling and I proposed the scene for a lighting exercise in the forum I'm moderator of.

I hope you find it appropiate:
http://www.yafray.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1327

mlykke
02-22-2008, 04:09 PM
A note to people converting the scenes to other formats.

1: Remove ALL links to 3rd party renders/plugins.
2: Check that the scene can load on the version of the software, with no 3rd party plugs.

I tried several times giving these scenes a go, but had several issues. Fx. if using fbx the arcs in the hallway scene is blocked by incorrect polys. Came back some time later saw a max8 native version of the scene and couldn't load it because it still had ties to Vray plugs, plus other plugs that is unknow to my barebone max8.

It might be that i'm just lasy and want to have fun doing something different than at work when I come try play with one of these scenes, but it always end up with 3-4 hours of clean up work needed to scene scale, model clearup (I thought fbx would bypass the need for this).

This is just a call out for the nice people that do convert the scenes to keep them as clean and simple as possible. :)

greyother
02-22-2008, 07:18 PM
I agree with what has been said about converting files. I found many differences between the scene files downloaded and mlykke is right, really these files should be as clean and relatively simple as possible.
Can I request a slightly lower polycount next time?

Some of us are still using P4s!!

Samo
02-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Can I request a slightly lower polycount next time?

Some of us are still using P4s!!

The train scene has been modelled in a six years old 2.4 PIV - 512 RAM - 32 RAM Geforce 3
My modelling goals have been clearly bigger than my computer resources. Blender is also good handling big poly counts. On the other side, this scene presents some oportunities to apply nice compositing techniques rather than brute force whole scene rendering.

Leonikou
02-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Hello everyone!

mlykke - greyother : I completely agree with your comments, it is nice working on clean scenes, and that can be achived no matter what the format is.

but,

samo is right on the other side, because when working in huge productions, sometimes the file sizes get enormous and breaking the scene in different parts is inevitable.( I had to do it in the last two studios I worked for a couple of times.)

I think that the best solution would be ,for super detailed models which are heavy, but nice ( Like the main Locomotive body on the train), an extra low poly model to be included as well in a hidden layer.

I had trouble Uving the train, but if I had the low poly version it would be super sweet!

Last but not least it would be nice to have the normals checked on the geometry because some renderers cant cope well when they face reverse direction.

Other than that, I love working on high detailed models likes samos train, it brings the realism up a lot. ( and if it is lighting for a still image, render times are not an issue)

I hope this makes sense.

Keep rocking everyone.

jeremybirn
03-14-2008, 03:21 PM
The train scene has been modelled in a six years old 2.4 PIV - 512 RAM - 32 RAM Geforce 3
My modelling goals have been clearly bigger than my computer resources. Blender is also good handling big poly counts. On the other side, this scene presents some oportunities to apply nice compositing techniques rather than brute force whole scene rendering.

I agree. I think everyone on this list has computers with more speed and RAM than the workstations people had making movies like Toy Story or Jurrasic Park. Complete scenes need to be broken down into layers, you need a strategy to manage your work and memory use, but I think some people give up too quickly and complain too much about scenes that are really much simpler than in a lot of feature film productions.

I like having variety, and some challenges can just be a few bottles or something simpler than this, but other times I like having rich, complex scenes to work with.

-jeremy

mmoses00
03-19-2008, 07:11 AM
One cool idea for a creative lighting experiment is to do a scene where almost all the illumination is "perceived" to be coming from come from a single source - meaning light "pours" into the scene in a such a way as to illuminate what is most important to the viewer. I envision a shaft of light, cascading its way into the darkened room, bouncing off things, and ultimately... revealing the subject of the scene.

This leaves a lot of room for imagination, so probably be good to have some sort of industrial room, with many possible areas to have the light source. A variation on Haunted Hallway challenge.

Or, to do a 180, light a stage production.. rock concert, play, etc. making use of many lights to create The Big Show.

My 2 cents.

:)

jpiette
03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I have a rather lame idea for a lighting challenge. How about a nice living room? Like the ones you see on those architectual renderings? You know, with a lot of nice, expensive-looking furniture, nice crown mouldings, and geometrically-diverse walls. I got the idea when I was digging through this thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=109035) earlier and thought it would be such a fun scene to light.

Weepul
03-20-2008, 09:40 PM
I agree. I think everyone on this list has computers with more speed and RAM than the workstations people had making movies like Toy Story or Jurrasic Park. Complete scenes need to be broken down into layers, you need a strategy to manage your work and memory use, but I think some people give up too quickly and complain too much about scenes that are really much simpler than in a lot of feature film productions.
More than scene complexity, I had trouble with the train scene in terms of just getting it into LightWave. The OBJ would import with way too dense a mesh (as noted in the challenge thread, they were saved with object subdivisions baked in) and also, a significant portion of the objects that compose the less-detailed train cars imported with their polygons flipped - but not all, so I can't just do a global flip. I would have to go through and try to visually determine what's backwards all along the model. Needless to say, I didn't bother. (To be fair, I'm ready to blame LightWave for this shortcoming, but it still presents a problem in making this challenge available to anyone who wants to try.)

I tried re-exporting from Blender after taking off as many of the subdivision modifiers I could find, and it still imported with reversed normals. Same thing with the non-divided object posted by (don't remember who it was) in the challenge thread. And on top of that, there would be no way to determine which objects were meant to be re-subdivided after import.

The distribution of basic materials on the model is of course a mess after importing, with a material for every separate object in the original application, again making it a brute task of going through and visually determining what material groupings every little bit and bob should have.

From what I could gather, the Christmas scene was similar in that unless you were using the original application in which the scene was made, you got the short end of the stick in terms of model quality.

It'd be nice to see more cross-app uniformity in the starting point. If an object is meant to be subdivided, it should be exported separately and noted. There shouldn't be any level of detail difference between the different files, even if it means sacrificing modeling technologies that are unique to certain applications (or baking to polys and only offering that version even for the same app).

Samo
03-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Weepul, later in the Train lighting challenge I prepared a light version with subdivision surface modifiers removed, and also without gravel:

Ok this is a light blender version of the scene. All subdivision surf. modifiers and the ballast stones have been removed.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y282Z0VI

If your software does not support subdivision surfaces, then apply subsurf before exporting. I think only the locomotive main mesh need subsurf and maybe some other locomotive parts (doors and round windows frames). Send me a private missage if you need help about how to apply subsurf in Blender, anyway here there is some info.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Subsurf

Maya users should use "objects groups" option in the OBJ export panel to get separated meshes.

alienpioneer
03-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I sugest underwater lighting....I am sick and tired to see how everybody run for interiors (a table, a computer, a couch, etc..,etc)...

jpiette
03-22-2008, 01:05 AM
We already have an underwater lighting scene: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=370846

alienpioneer
03-22-2008, 04:32 PM
OOoops! I miss that!

Weepul
03-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Weepul, later in the Train lighting challenge I prepared a light version with subdivision surface modifiers removed, and also without gravel:
Yes, that's the one I mentioned in my original post.

Like the original posted .obj, it does not import with polygons flipped correctly, and neither is it clear which objects to re-subdivide after import.

Samo
03-24-2008, 12:35 PM
and neither is it clear which objects to re-subdivide after import.

Locomotive main mesh, locomotive doors, loco wheels depending on your view, and frames of round windows, the rest can get by without subdivision.

Deepam
03-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi there !!

I hv a suggestion - what about lighting a BACKSTREET, we can light it day, night, evening etc. hv a look

This one is my modeled, textured and lightened scene

http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/290884/290884_1198436090_large.jpg

Other one I find after googling.
http://i.pbase.com/v3/58/488158/2/41995599.backstreet.jpg

jpiette
04-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Just a quick request involving the scene geometry. I've been working on some of the earlier scenes and have been having light leak issues due to the geometry not being merged, but rather simply intersected. For future challenges involving indoor scenes, could someone make sure that most of the geometry welded? It's been such a big pain having to paint out the light leaks in comp.

alienpioneer
04-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi all! The geometry in the scenes is ok...In my opinion you shouldn't just drop some lights and shaders and shoot a render (no offence to anybody).First of all you have to prepare your scene and it's quite enjoyable (from my part) since you have a scene for free.The problem comes from the normals not from the vertexes (normals give the shading of a surface).I think that mr Birn had modeled those scenes to have an ideea about the scene and i don't think that anybody would complain if you replace the geometry in the scene with your own, without altering the original design.... :) I have an ideea for future challenges! How about lighting the interior of a cave that has some artifact on a stone in middle, and the light is coming from a crack in the cave's roof , directely to the artifact? To be more explicit, Tomb Raider like caves and toombs.Of course without any gi! I think a little bit more complicated type of toomb/cave.But please, i personally am sick and tired to see all over clean interiors, living rooms,etc.One bigger chanllenge, (but of course more expensive to model) whould be the interior of a cathedral.I had one interior of a toomb once to light, and my only solution was gi...

jeremybirn
04-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Deepam - That image looks great. I sent you a PM about getting the scene for a future lighting challenge.

alienpioneer - A cave/cavern scene would be a terrific lighting challenge. I had fun lighting some caves that a character was exploring with a torch in a project a few years ago, certainly there are some interesting possibilities there.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
04-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Just a quick request involving the scene geometry. I've been working on some of the earlier scenes and have been having light leak issues due to the geometry not being merged, but rather simply intersected. For future challenges involving indoor scenes, could someone make sure that most of the geometry welded? It's been such a big pain having to paint out the light leaks in comp.

I can see a request that walls be built to a realistic thickness instead of being paper-thin or single-sided, that certainly would help reduce light leaks. I don't know if surfaces being welded into a single surface would reduce light leaks in most programs, compared to having them overlap. If there's a program or situation where that's the case, I'd love to hear about it. Welding two surfaces into one, such as adjacent walls or walls to the ceiling, might help quality in terms of making it easier to get a nice bevel at the corner, but it might also make some scenes more time-consuming to texture compared to having the ceiling get a separate map than the walls.

In the lighting challenge scenes I've lit so far, using Maya/MR, there have been some light leaks where I used dmap shadows or photon mapped GI, but those have been fixed pretty easily by adding some primitive cubes as shadow objects (set to cast shadows but not visible to reflections or primary rays).

-jeremy

jeremybirn
04-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Weepul -

You've made some good points.

Working with scenes that got imported from other software is often messy. The only really good solution is to have a volunteer with each leading brand of software, like a Lightwave expert, a Max expert, a Cinema 4D expert, etc. clean-up and organize the objects and groups and material assignments on the imported geometry. You sound like a Lightwave user who knows what to look for -- I'd be delighted to send you the files early for the next challenge, and host the LWO version that you come up with.

-jeremy

Dan Wade
04-09-2008, 05:29 PM
God i havent posted on here in ages. This idea might have already been requested, but how about a "film noir" project to light? Something completely black and white.

I think lighting or atleast submitting a final black and white peice would present quite alot of interesting and unique challenges to lighting. Basic issues like key to fill ratio would play a really big part, aslong with other fundimentals. People would not be able to rely on GI as much, as even further, it would be aweome to have a scrict key lighting project, where no GI method could be used...or further still, a set amount of lights would be aloud in the scene, so it would really stretch how you would use every light. I know there might be alot of issues with how we light, as everyone is using different packages.

Just some ideas anyway,

Cheers,
Dan W.

greyother
04-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Dan Wade: Just wanted to chime in and say your ideas are very interesting. I have always wanted to light a "film noir" scene and the black and white aspect is an interesting challenge.

T-R
04-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Cool idea Dan Wade. I would love to see a lighting challenge without the use of FG/GI(i.e. no physical sun and sky methods are not allowed). Or even a HDRI challenge.

MinaRagaie
04-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Cool idea Dan Wade. I would love to see a lighting challenge without the use of FG/GI(i.e. no physical sun and sky methods are not allowed). Or even a HDRI challenge.
I'm all for the "old school" thing... but I don't think everyone would agree on having such rule.
it's all about the art in the final image it's not about the method used.
maybe (and I'm kindda dreaming here) do an animated challenge, and ppl will keep an eye on how much time it takes to render (regardless of the use of FG/GI or IBL)

-Mina

Dan Wade
04-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Hay MinaRagaie,
i know some peple would have a problem not using GI, but this would only be one challenge.
Im sure alot of people on here, without industry experience are doing these challenges to practice and home there skills to get into the industry. I would say 75% of production environments dont even use Gi for various reasons like time, memory, fur etc. Atleast for the time being anway...i know this is changing over time.

In my personal opinion, people are spending alot of their time texturing and shading which is cool, and ofcourse vital for the foundation good lighting, I just think it would be good getting back to the fundimentals of lighting, which should be the focus of these challenges.

Just my two cents,
Dan.

MinaRagaie
04-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Hay MinaRagaie,
i know some peple would have a problem not using GI, but this would only be one challenge.
Im sure alot of people on here, without industry experience are doing these challenges to practice and home there skills to get into the industry. I would say 75% of production environments dont even use Gi for various reasons like time, memory, fur etc. Atleast for the time being anway...i know this is changing over time.

In my personal opinion, people are spending alot of their time texturing and shading which is cool, and ofcourse vital for the foundation good lighting, I just think it would be good getting back to the fundimentals of lighting, which should be the focus of these challenges.

Just my two cents,
Dan.
to avoid any confussion...
if we're taking votes... I'm certianly voting for a non GI challenge :)

I was just thinking... another way to say "Don't use GI" is to place a rule like "Make it render in the least time possiable"

for example your scene "the Haunted Hallway" -one of my favaroites BTW- I went and tried some crazy experimental stuff, lots of buffers, raytracing, Hires textures and high AA settings... I ended up rendering a non-GI, PAL res in about 2 hours.... ouch.

my point is my scene is no good in a production environment... while another scene done with FG or GI might have rendered faster, and may be more useful for production.

also... an animated challenge would also push FG/GI to their limits... settings that look ok in a still image might flicker in animation. (I do realize an animated challenge is a lot to ask)

and yes.. I sometimes end up working more time on texturing and shading than lighting, but I don't see much that we can do about it.

-Mina

Dan Wade
04-10-2008, 09:39 PM
If you want to do a GI animation led challenge, then thats cool. Please, post your idea up. Im sure people would find it interesting trying to optimise their scenes and get times down. I dont understand what this would prove in the end though. Everyone would be using different renderers, some are good for one thing, and not the other, so what would we be comparing? I think something like that would be more appropriate in the lighting and rendering thread, than a lighting challenges one.

What im talking about though is an non-gi based project. To get things off the ground, it might be interesting actualy using one of the previous projects...i know that people can already go back and do them, but it might be interesting for some of the people who have already done one of the previous challenges, to revisit it, but this time only use CG lights and not GI/HDRI lighting.

Cheers,
Dan.

MinaRagaie
04-10-2008, 10:55 PM
I think you misunderstood me.
If you want to do a GI animation led challenge, then thats cool.
No, not really... I'd rather go for the non-GI challenge

I was just saying if most users don't like the "non-GI" rule we can make a "reasnoable render time" rule instead... I'm not sure whats "reasonable" though... because -as you said- everyone is using different software and hardware

Cheers,
-Mina

jeremybirn
04-10-2008, 11:04 PM
The idea of banning GI has been suggested several times in this forum. On at least two occasions, we've even been visited by a "drive-by rule-maker" who doesn't even participate, but just proposes a ban on GI, or rules that the camera can't be moved -- then leaves.

I'd like to explain why I've never followed-up on the "we need more rules" proposals. This applies not just to GI but also to the idea of regulating (or pretending we could even measure), the render times or speed of each participant's computers.

My reasoning is that I don't think adding more rules and restrictions would make these challenges any more fun, more educational, more varied, or more popular. I don't believe there's any easy software technique such as GI or raytracing or occlusion or compositing that which makes artistic excellence easier for someone else than it is for you. I also don't think that one basic approach is automatically more professional or better experience for everyone than another approach to rendering an image. Instead, I see a wonderful variety of techniques and approaches adopted in different submissions, and I wouldn't dream of trying to exclude anyone's work because of the software or hardware or algorithm choices they made in rendering it.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
04-10-2008, 11:13 PM
This idea might have already been requested, but how about a "film noir" project to light? Something completely black and white.

Hey Dan -

That's a great idea. I loved Matt Moses's Film Noir take on the train scene in the latest challenge:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5014364&postcount=131

It would be great to get a challenge scene looked like it came from a vintage Film Noir: maybe the grungy office of the private eye, with the fem fatal in vintage 1930's costume entering to hire him. I don't know if we have any volunteers to model it, but I'd love to use a Film Noir scene as a challenge scene if someone builds it.

-jeremy

gregsandor
04-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Hey Dan -

That's a great idea. I loved Matt Moses's Film Noir take on the train scene in the latest challenge:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5014364&postcount=131

It would be great to get a challenge scene looked like it came from a vintage Film Noir: maybe the grungy office of the private eye, with the fem fatal in vintage 1930's costume entering to hire him. I don't know if we have any volunteers to model it, but I'd love to use a Film Noir scene as a challenge scene if someone builds it.

-jeremy

Jeremy, If its going to be film noir I'm willing to offer up a 1930's filling station for the challenge. There's a render of it along with its real-world counterpart in my cgportfolio.

I think there's one like it in "High Sierra". -- edit -- So far no luck finding images of it, maybe it was another move.

In any case, a film noir challenge would be really cool.

jmBoekestein
04-11-2008, 09:41 AM
I second the motion, film noir is a blast to try and light. I will be sure to make a max file and host it.

Samo
04-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I can help with modelling tasks if you want, non organic if possible

CBMarco
04-29-2008, 06:58 AM
The film noir idea sounds great :drool: , if it involves characters it would be an even better challenge but not really necessary i think ,it could be maybe based on a scene from a movie perhaps, well i would be really happy to participate if it comes up...:thumbsup:

jeremybirn
04-29-2008, 02:39 PM
We'll be using Greg Sandor's scene. He's just building one more model for it, so it should get launched soon.

I took-up Samo's offer to do more modeling work by asking him to do something for a future challenge. I won't mention what it is, but it'll be great.

-jeremy

tel
04-29-2008, 02:52 PM
im waiting!

rajeshav
04-30-2008, 04:44 PM
hi jeremy,

when the new challenge will start?

kanooshka
05-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Film noire seems like a great challenge! I'm very excited to start this next one especially since I missed the last one. I'm not sure if any of these have been said before but I have a couple ideas for challenges.

We could do a scene with a small creature in a big environment, like a rodent or insect. We could also do the opposite and have a very large animal or creature like a giant.

Another could be an indoor office scene where there are florescent lights/desk lamps/computer monitors/ windows etc...

We could do a place like supermarket where there's lots of artificial light and reflections.

I also liked the whole idea behind the four scripts challenge except maybe this time we could try to create particular emotions. I'll post if I think of anymore!

jeremybirn
05-10-2008, 03:55 PM
hi jeremy,

when the new challenge will start?

It looks like it'll be Friday, May 16. Greg Sandor is just putting a few more models into his scene.

-jeremy

punytjoshi
05-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Will be waitin for it.

jojo1975
05-12-2008, 07:13 PM
New challenge yeap curious to see which one will be ;)

Buhby
05-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Anticipation... I love it!

jeremybirn
05-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Lighting Challenge #15: Film Noir (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=632459) is off to a great start.

I have started a new Lighting Challenge News (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=634553) thread that people can subscribe to if they don't check this forum very often but want to hear announcements when each new lighting challenge starts.

-jeremy

saks27
06-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Hey.
Well since I'm outta school I don't get to use cool maya anymore.
I just got a mac and I am yet to become a mac user.
I downloaded Maya PLE, but I can't get it to import the film noir file.

any reason why I would have trouble?

guivAg
06-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Hey.
Well since I'm outta school I don't get to use cool maya anymore.
I just got a mac and I am yet to become a mac user.
I downloaded Maya PLE, but I can't get it to import the film noir file.

any reason why I would have trouble?

thats not not the goo thread for this kind of question....

read this thread the question have been alredy post: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=632459&page=8&pp=15

KayPoprawe
07-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Are there allready new ideas for the next challenge? Iam hungry.. ;)

guivAg
07-01-2008, 04:04 PM
me too ! ! !

after a great challenge like this, i want more !

gregsandor
07-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Are there allready new ideas for the next challenge? Iam hungry.. ;)

Now that I've got my feet wet lighting I'm excited too.
How about Outer Space?

guivAg
07-02-2008, 10:12 AM
outer space will be a nice challenge : ) but... anyone got models ?

gregsandor
07-02-2008, 12:53 PM
outer space will be a nice challenge : ) but... anyone got models ?

I have terrain models of the lunar surface or Mars I'd contribute. I know there are models of rovers and other space vehicles around on the net.

KayPoprawe
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
outer space sounds interesting and fits perfectly at the moment coz of wall-e ^^

lossenct
07-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I agree. Space is a great idea. Wall-E's been on my mind for a while, too. Outstanding lighting in that, BTW.

jeremybirn
07-02-2008, 04:52 PM
I agree. Space is a great idea. Wall-E's been on my mind for a while, too. Outstanding lighting in that, BTW.

If someone wants to volunteer to model a space scene of course that would be great. Or if someone volunteers a part of the process (concept art for what should be modeled, a component of what should go into the scene, etc.) that also would be great.

This weekend is a 3 day weekend in the US with a holiday, so we'd better start a new challenge. It's going to be a summer re-run, because we don't have a new scene to do. Re-run challenges where everyone does the same project for a few weeks should be much more fun than the on-going challenge thread. As someone who's only done versions of 5 out of the 15 challenges myself, I look forwards to having an older challenge go active again...

-jeremy

guivAg
07-02-2008, 06:30 PM
why not re-run the bottles challenge? it would be interseting to train our shaders skills ...

Leotril
07-02-2008, 06:45 PM
why not re-run the bottles challenge? it would be interseting to train our shaders skills ...

I agree the bottles challenge will be great to test refraction , caustics and reflections.

jojo1975
07-02-2008, 07:11 PM
well it will kill my PC again... but why not ;)

doodlerboy
07-02-2008, 07:37 PM
No. If you want to do a Bottle challenge than just go to the bottle challenge and post it in Ongoing challenges, I agree with the Space challenge, cause that's a whole new thing, and it'll be fun. BRING ON THE SPACE CHALLENGE!

doodlerboy
07-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I volunteer to work on the Space challenge, I need to focus on my modeling skills, I can do some small prop stuff, like I did with the Brand X Challenge.

Leotril
07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
the bottle challenge was one of the best challenges with a lot of great images as a result of it.. surpassing that as a rerun will be kinda difficult but interesting to see new images as well.. i like the under the boardwalk and hairy hare <-- lol taht will be interesting..

KayPoprawe
07-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Iam sorry. I cant also agree with a re-run of a old challenge. A new one will be much better. If i want to work on a old challenge i can do it byside a normal challenge or in the time iam not interested to work on the latest challenge. As doodlerboy sayed, use the on-going challenges for that.

Carina
07-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Wasn't the point Jeremy was trying to make that if there's to be a new challenge before the weekend, there wouldn't be time to arrange new material/brief/etc?

At least that's how I read it :shrug:

There's nothing saying there can't be a re-run while new material is being arranged..

jeremybirn
07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm all for new material. We certainly will have new challenges this summer. Let's do some ASAP.

Samo (Alvaro Luna Bautista, who modeled the wonderful Local Train challenge) is already working on something for a future challenge, I was just trying to contact him but his mailbox at cgtalk is full. I'd love to do a space scene as soon as it can be made. I didn't do a lot of extra modeling while completing wall-e or taking my vacation afterwards, so the next challenge will not be another modeled by me, it'll be a donation from someone else.

On another topic, the on-going challenges thread is just OK, not as much interaction or excitement as other threads, in part because people aren't all doing the same thing and comparing work with each-other. A re-run of a challenge that not many people have done yet, combined with some new files to help people get started, could be much more interesting than just maintaining the on-going challenge thread.

In the future, there might even be room for a "re-run with a twist" type challenge. Let's say a stereoscopic rendering challenge, where people make 3D renderings of a previous challenge scene in stereo perspective, or a compositing challenge where people put a previous model like the truck from neon and chrome into an environment with provided HDRI maps, that kind of thing.

-jeremy

juansilva
07-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Hey Jeremy,

I'd like to volunteer to do some modeling for future challenges. Please let me know if you have in mind something in particular, and how I should go about it.

Cheers.
Juan

fwad
07-15-2008, 06:42 AM
Maybe a mini lighting cahllenge using an old theme to fill the gap?

doodlerboy
08-05-2008, 05:50 AM
Who's in charge of the newest scene? I'd love to be apart of modeling the newest scene. How can I get a hold of this guy?

KurtS
08-08-2008, 06:31 PM
It would be nice to have a challenge that where not so complicated and complex - like a really simple scene. Maybe a macro/DOF scene of some sort?

RealReality
08-08-2008, 08:08 PM
DoF/Macro in combination with jewelry?

Ideal for caustics, refractions, reflections,....

jmBoekestein
08-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Golden sunset (on the beach).

Seems good for getting those details like bloom, bleed and colour amongst others. Certainly fun.

d4rk3lf
08-31-2008, 08:03 AM
I participated so far in the chalenges. and It's not imoprtant too much to me what is going to be in the next chalange (I am pretty shoore, it will be some cool theme).

But, how about some "old school lightning fake" chalenge, where participiant is limited to fake everything (no GI, no FG, no Caustic, no hdri maps...)? :)
I think that could be wanderfull practise for everyone.

NicoAdri
08-31-2008, 08:56 AM
have the lighting challenges finished?

when can we expect a new one?

guivAg
08-31-2008, 10:06 AM
I participated so far in the chalenges. and It's not imoprtant too much to me what is going to be in the next chalange (I am pretty shoore, it will be some cool theme).

But, how about some "old school lightning fake" chalenge, where participiant is limited to fake everything (no GI, no FG, no Caustic, no hdri maps...)? :)

i already work with no GI/FG, caustics so there is nothing new in there for me...
that could be a strat but it must have a theme like "film noir" who make everyone in the same style...

doodlerboy
09-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Waiting for this new challenge is like a fat kid waiting for the new candy shop to open, it's accelerating my brain! Come on Space challenge, hurry up! :D

jeremybirn
09-02-2008, 03:47 AM
It would be nice to have a challenge that where not so complicated and complex - like a really simple scene. Maybe a macro/DOF scene of some sort?
That's a good idea.

I am 100% committed to making more simple ones -- like the Brand X and the Fruit Bowl -- that can render quickly and fit in smaller amounts of RAM. Of course, I also love pushing the envelope and embracing things that are more challenging to render, so we need both types of scene.

DoF/Macro in combination with jewelry? Ideal for caustics, refractions, reflections,....
If we do a macro/close-up scene, it could indeed include jewelry. That might not make for something quick to render anymore, but still a good idea, I agree.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
09-02-2008, 03:48 AM
Golden sunset (on the beach).

Seems good for getting those details like bloom, bleed and colour amongst others. Certainly fun.

Go for it! I think the lighthouse challenge could use some good sunset-over-the-ocean entries!

-jeremy

jeremybirn
09-02-2008, 04:07 AM

The challenges are all open-ended in terms of software functions and technical settings like that. While I too have my preferences and habits, I think I might have as much to learn from someone who works differently as they'd have to learn from me.

-jeremy

jmBoekestein
09-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Yay for me!!! :bounce:

KurtS
09-14-2008, 11:53 PM
That's a good idea.

I am 100% committed to making more simple ones -- like the Brand X and the Fruit Bowl -- that can render quickly and fit in smaller amounts of RAM. Of course, I also love pushing the envelope and embracing things that are more challenging to render, so we need both types of scene.
-jeremy

I'm pleased to hear that you are comitted to more simple scenes!
My Maxwell Render test gallery (http://kurt.singstad.net) (lot of simple scenes)

Samo
10-01-2008, 07:30 AM
I do like simple scenes too, but lately I have some ideas about scenes, those ideas you have going round your head for days and weeks, scenes you feel you need 'to do them', which are a bit on the heavy side, and they are scenes that make for good lighting contests.

jeremybirn
10-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I do like simple scenes too, but lately I have some ideas about scenes, those ideas you have going round your head for days and weeks, scenes you feel you need 'to do them', which are a bit on the heavy side, and they are scenes that make for good lighting contests.

I'd want to consider any ideas you'd want to do. This is an all-volunteer effort, and the fact that you've done so much of the work automatically makes your interests a top priority.

When I say I'm committed to simple scenes, I just mean we should keep doing them every so often so even people with baseline computers feel free to join-in. Sometimes a simple scene can be something like Brand X, that still has a point to the challenge.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
11-05-2008, 02:57 PM
We have a terrific new challenge #17 up and running, so that should keep everyone busy for a while. Juan Carlos Silva has already built a terrific space scene that we can use soon. Both of these are larger, more complex scenes. To keep something smaller in the mix, maybe we could do RealReality's idea of something that was a close-up with jewelry.

Is someone up for modeling a jewelry display of some kind? Maybe a store window of a jewelry store? Or a model wearing some nice jewelry? Or a treasure chest stored in a ship's hull? Or a still life showing a king's treasure on a table?

In other news, I'd like to close the on-going challenge thread at the end of this year, and next year start more focused flashbacks, that do have deadlines and do get added to galleries when they are done. I think some of the scene files could be re-visited before the focused flashbacks, too, to have geometry improved and get converted into more file formats. I think there's a special spirit of different people working on a scene at once that doesn't exist as much in the on-going challenge thread, but could be re-captured if we all did a flashback scene on the same week.

-jeremy

gregsandor
11-05-2008, 03:28 PM
I downloaded the Natural History challenge files and was ready to go until they choked my computer. I know I have to install more ram, but in the meantime it would help to have them broken into smaller chunks. The models are really nice but a half-million polys in one model just brings my machine to a crawl.

jeremybirn
11-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I downloaded the Natural History challenge files and was ready to go until they choked my computer. I know I have to install more ram, but in the meantime it would help to have them broken into smaller chunks. The models are really nice but a half-million polys in one model just brings my machine to a crawl.

It is big. The FBX file you can download is split into 10 parts. I guess I could do that to another file format like Maya or OBJ?

-jeremy

gregsandor
11-05-2008, 03:42 PM
I prefer .obj.
Thanks! The models really are clean and well built.

spurcell
11-05-2008, 03:42 PM
I was able to make things alot more usable by removing one half the scene and mirror/instancing it.

kanooshka
12-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I may be able to model the jewelry/still life scene if someone hasn't already started modeling it. A still life of a king's treasure sounds appealing to me.

The idea for a focused challenge flashbacks sounds like a spectacular idea. It seems the current past challenge thread is an endless fruit salad :)

jojo1975
12-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Jewellery will be a very interesting challenge. Also my PC choked on the LC17 . it's a wondereful scene but for now I guess I have to pass :(

jojo1975
12-03-2008, 03:20 PM
sorry dup post

silvia
12-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Ok I didn't know where to post this, so I guess this thread will have to do.

I want to give Jeremy a really really big public THANK YOU for this forum. I was just offered a Lighting TD position here at Pixar, and I could have NEVER have done it without Jeremy and his forums. Believe me guys, Lighters here at Pixar work stupendously hard, and yet Jeremy still finds the time and good will to organize the challenges, and to give each of us feedback that is always positive, constructive, and patient. So I wonder if it is not too much trouble for the people who participate to the challenges to join me in giving Jeremy a big big hand and a thank you for what he does.

kanooshka
12-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Congrats Silvia! And yes I believe we all agree on how much we appreciate Jeremy's time and experience =)

jojo1975
12-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Yeap :) Congrats to Silvia and of course thanks and kudos to Jeremy :)

ShadowM8
12-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Congratulations silvia, and big thanks to Jeremy for running this forum and offering fantastic C&C.

P.S. I like the idea of the focused flashbacks.