PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Ideas for Future Challenges

Pages : 1 2 [3]

TheOutsider
05-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I donīt have anything to say about dislikes ... Just to say Iīm grateful for your effort. I like how you handle it. The only thing I dislike is my lack of time to participate.

Keep going Kanooshka.

olas72
05-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Just noticed this challenge. Would love to get in the next one, when is it planned to get started?

vrheint
05-06-2010, 09:05 PM
I thought the 'Final Image thread/keeping the WIP thread open' worked really well! I thought the carnival was a good scene too. There was a lot to texture/shade, but the amount of time you gave us to work on it helped ease the strain. The plus to having such a big scene as this is the variety of compositions one can have as a result. These more elaborate scenes help us flex our director muscles. Thank you, Dan.

djprasun
05-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Will the final gallery be shown at 3drender.com or some place else. Just curious as I would really hope that the final gallery be setup there. Anyways, getting a little bit nervous and impatient right now:scream:.

technicolorgirl
05-12-2010, 10:16 AM
This carnival scene looks amazing. I hope Dan plugs it on the front page at some point.

After several "big" scenes in a row, a pure still life (only showing what's on one table in front of you) could be nice for variety. You could do the "Mad Science" challenge as a still-life, just what's on the scientist's lab bench.

Uday could test his SSS settings on the liquids or gels in the different test tubes and Petri dishes, and use a different SSS shader for the human brain in the jar.

-jeremy

I'd love to do "Mad Science"--I don't think we've had a chance to do liquids and caustics much. It would be quite the challenge.

djprasun
05-14-2010, 12:49 PM
We can have an architectural style rendering theme. Or a cartoony theme. I really want to make a clean and crisp render. No mater how much I try my render doesn't have that architectural cleanness to it. I think we should try out different style of rendering as our theme.

pankajkaintura43
05-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Well I agree with dj prasoon ........ we shld go for an architectural rendering..........

a2arthur
05-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Cartoony theme sounds like colorfull lights!:lightbulb:)
I like it

phillbilly
05-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Dan and Jeremy,
I really enjoyed the Carnival Challenge, most of the work you received was brilliant!
How about another public recreational setting, stadium, park, street market, playground? something like that!

thanks!

phill

jojo1975
05-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Many thanks to dan and Jeremy for hosting the challenge, as always they did a great job ! really looking forward to next one !
jojo

preetamsaha
05-20-2010, 02:27 PM
First I want to congratulate Mr. Konieczka for organizing a wonderful challenge and with such an exciting theme ! And me too eagerly waiting for the next challenge ! Is it going to be that Evil Scientist ??

NuNe
05-21-2010, 03:39 PM
please hurry, i can't wait anymore ;)

honestdom
08-04-2010, 02:51 PM
didn't know there was a lighting challenge :)

...i don't really spend much time on these forums tho. when does the next challenge start?

kanooshka
08-04-2010, 04:22 PM
didn't know there was a lighting challenge :)

...i don't really spend much time on these forums tho. when does the next challenge start?

Welcome Honestdom! You just missed our previous challenge, Mad Science. You can still download the last challenge and post it in the WIP thread, but it won't be considered for the gallery. The next challenge will be starting in a week or two.

honestdom
08-05-2010, 01:49 PM
hey thanks man,
if its only a week or two i can wait until then. :)

Nymano
08-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Cool!

Just what I need before my school begin: Something to do my teeth on.

jadrock
10-25-2010, 08:20 AM
sorry for not reading all the comments on this thread :wise:.....someone may have already shared this idea....but i would like to see a DISCO ROOM or PUB something like that as it has lots of lights and colors and sets different mood.... for future lighting challenges :thumbsup: .....Thank you All for Creating all Challenges

Deje3D
10-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Hey Guys !

I just wanted to say this is a awesome chance to do some lighting :) I been doing some of the challenges my self in the time where i wasnt busy.

Anyway I wrote a Article about some top 5 tips I use when I am setting up a light, maybe it will be usefull for some of you guys:

http://poly-face.com/Article_3D_Lighting_-_5_Tips_On_How_To_Make_Great_3D_Lighting

djprasun
10-26-2010, 03:51 AM
@Deje3D- Interesting article. Thanks for sharing!:cool:

jadrock
10-26-2010, 08:18 AM
@Deje3D thanks a lot for sharing this article

CBMarco
11-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I think a pub like jadrock said would be awesome, a lot of work with bottles and the overall mood of the pub.Maybe throw in a character or two ...

grklena842
11-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey everyone! I just found out that there's lighting challenges! Great work everyone! I just tried downloading the cabin for maya and I just keep getting an error. Anyone else have that problem or know how to get around it?

Thanks!

jeremybirn
11-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Welcome!

What kind of error? Did you get it during download, while extracting the RAR file, or when loading the scene into Maya?

grklena842
11-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Thank you for the welcoming!

I downloaded the file and opened it with StuffItExpander and when i opened it with Maya 2010 I would get an error saying that the file can not be read.

whiteg3
11-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Thank you for the welcoming!

I downloaded the file and opened it with StuffItExpander and when i opened it with Maya 2010 I would get an error saying that the file can not be read.

Did you check ignore version when opening it? I just tested it in 2010 and if you ignore version it should work. Hope that helps.

grklena842
11-15-2010, 01:42 AM
thanks for the help! I still get an error but now the scene actually opens up. There's some error with the panZoom. I appreciate all the help!

zmuh11
11-15-2010, 02:35 PM
thanks for the help! I still get an error but now the scene actually opens up. There's some error with the panZoom. I appreciate all the help!

I would select all the geometry and go file - export selection if you are using Maya. Sometimes that helps to get rid of any little bugs that might be bogging down your scene.

Hope that helps!

zmuh11
11-28-2010, 04:52 AM
I think for the next challenge, or anyone coming up should include some kind of character. I loved lighting challenge #18 which had that robot character in it and I think it inspired some really awesome renders from the community.

threeDeepond
01-12-2011, 09:00 AM
As there are lot talks and concerns about dooms day causing threat to the human mankind, i would opine to have a challenge that depicts the aftermath of dooms day or warning of dooms day..It would be fun to see how an individual visualizes the 'not-seen' dooms day.
Few more ideas can be like, global warming, an universe, " if time-machine was invented and the present generation travels to past or future",a futuristic visualization of technology.

I aint sure if these would make a good idea for the challenges( may be bcoz of the complexity of the models it would have)..but neways, i m inspired by the forum and challenges as well.I would try to keep myself updated and be part of the challenges..

Regards

technicolorgirl
01-15-2011, 02:17 AM
How about a cultural/foreign setting? Like a French outdoor cafe? :)

amtate
01-15-2011, 07:10 AM
I have to say i agree with two of the previous post about having the next challenge be something reminiscent of challenge #18. That does look like it was a fun one. I look forward to seeing what the next one will be. Thanks for doing these challenges, I have done several as exercises after the competition was over and and did get to actually enter one but still , i enjoy it.

kanooshka
02-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas!

As always I'm on the lookout for modelers who would like to create our next challenge. Send me a PM if you're interested in helping out. Thanks!

razzlovesall
02-26-2011, 10:12 PM
i just have a suggestion about future challenges.
i feel adding own models or making modifications to the models should not be allowed because that takes away the essence of a "challenge". i feel the challenge is to light the scene as it is given to you.if we make changes according to our own convenience then it does not remain a challenge. but its alright to move the model around and change camera angles. but making major changes in the models should not be allowed.

it is just a humble suggestion. but i HAVE TO say that you guys are doing a great job by putting up such challenges and those feedbacks are really very helpful for us to learn more.
thanks a lot. :)

Diffus3d
05-05-2011, 02:20 AM
Looking forward to the next challenge! This is my favorite section of cgtalk by far, even though I typically just lurk and check out the work. Any leads or cool ideas brewing? :beer:

adding own models or making modifications to the models should not be allowed because that takes away the essence of a "challenge"

I get what you mean but some of the artists on this board put in what must be 60+ hours on some of these challenges, and to have your render tarnished because the coins in kings bounty weren't fully round or chamfered is just a shame. (A great challenge too btw, unreal caustics on some of those diamonds!) Also it's hard to explain to a 3rd party without sounding like you are making excuses. Not sure if that's what you meant by major change. Many of the winners for these challenges didn't make major changes so I think the spirit is working out regardless. :)

razzlovesall
05-05-2011, 11:58 AM
well i get what you mean, but i surely did not mean we cannot refine those models, may be smoothen it, adjust the material attributes...etc..but i have seen artists totally change the models, some of them completely replace them with their own and even add some more items in the scene, that i feel is not the right thing to do for a "challenge".

regards.

PartisanFox
05-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Cave! Let's light some cave!

Like this one:
http://www.papermarc.com.au/images/mat-black-lg.jpg

Now we have to add some fancy lighting.

Ashford
05-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Long post. Bonus points if you get through it.

I'd hoped to participate in the Cinema challenge, but I ran out of time. What I particularly liked about it was the fact it was character lighting, pretty much a staple, and that it was an interesting situation. I'm hoping more shots like this come along.

Supes and Directors get antsy when their TDs go 'off the reservation' and start making the shot into whatever they want it to be. Usually you've just got to make the shot that's in front of you look as good as you can get it.

Having said that, this is a learning exercise. Some results have been highly creative ideas taken from a common starting point, and it's been really interesting to see what people come up with. I think the question is, how do the participants want to treat the exercise.

From a feedback point of view, if you know what the goal of the shot is, it's easier to give feedback to get to that goal. If it's wild, then it's harder to judge the artist's intent. While I might work on one shot at a time, the shot still has to fit into a larger body of work. There might be many ways to light the shot to make it look pretty. Fewer of them will support the intent of the shot.

Perhaps a solution might be to offer a brief precis along with the shot, explaining what the 'sequence' the 'shot' fits into is about, and what the shot is to convey. Those that want to play along are 'allowed' to add details to the scene if it helps them sell the shot, and frame the shot to taste.

eg. "INT NIGHT. Closeup of Iggy over Sebastian's shoulder.
Mid-heist, Iggy reacts to the wail of alarms (offscreen, screen left), and looks to flee."

In that shot, you'd probably want to light it to try to capture Iggy's reaction as he realises he's got some leg work to do. You'd also want models and layout that captures that beat in the film.

If people then want to take the scene, disregard the precis, but want to make something out of the parts, good on them. No harm, no foul.

To offer some more alternatives, what would people think about having to light to a plate?
Or maybe having to light a relatively 'generic' set up as if it was part of some different films / tv shows? The Challenge picks a kind of shot trope (eg. horror scream) and offers a (generic) model / set, then the participants find and post the reference they want to recreate (so those following along can offer suggestions), then go at it? Maybe genders might be switched, maybe props might be missing. Regardless, is that horror scream you're doing Psycho (http://coupme.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/psycho-shower-scream.jpg), Scream (http://ptpotts.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/scream-scary.jpg), or Home Alone (http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq152/bluejaybirdie/home-alone-scream_o_GIFSoupcom.gif)?

[edited, came up with more]

razzlovesall
05-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Supes and Directors get antsy when their TDs go 'off the reservation' and start making the shot into whatever they want it to be. Usually you've just got to make the shot that's in front of you look as good as you can get it.

u got it! ;)

jeremybirn
05-05-2011, 04:17 PM
I'd hoped to participate in the Cinema challenge, but I ran out of time. What I particularly liked about it was the fact it was character lighting, pretty much a staple, and that it was an interesting situation. I'm hoping more shots like this come along.
I agree! Dan really hit it out of the park with modeling a great, character-oriented challenge. This was exactly what we need more of. I regret that I was in the last weeks of a production during this challenge, and didn't get time to give feedback or participate myself.

Perhaps a solution might be to offer a brief precis along with the shot, explaining what the 'sequence' the 'shot' fits into is about, and what the shot is to convey. Those that want to play along are 'allowed' to add details to the scene if it helps them sell the shot, and frame the shot to taste.

eg. "INT NIGHT. Closeup of Iggy over Sebastian's shoulder.
Mid-heist, Iggy reacts to the wail of alarms (offscreen, screen left), and looks to flee."
I agree again. I tried something like that for Challenge #4:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=315513
Based on the script, people lit the scene for the romantic, the horror, the sci-fi, etc. Providing a script fragment makes the exercise closer to each person being the director and art director of the film.

I also like the idea of providing images to match. Some visual reference (maybe stills from the kid watching the movie in Up, Cinema Paradiso, Purple Rose of Cairo, etc.) could give more specific guidance.

While creative direction could have been missing, I think really a lack of experience and direction in lighting characters was the bigger problem on this one. I wasn't able to put together a gallery of winners from this one, even though some people were off to promising starts. Prepping a character model for rendering, with shaders and textures on eyes, skin, and clothing, hair set-up, etc. takes a lot of time, but then even people who made it through that, but hadn't really lit characters before, still didn't really seem to have a solid idea of what to do next. I suspect that more step-by-step instructions on topics like how the fill light should work on back-lit characters, maybe combined with a request that people post light-by-light breakdowns and then more feedback from people who light characters a lot, could have created a more successful outcome. Some of these ideas would put even more demand on hosting these challenges, though: these are just supposed to be a fun, collaborative contest, and are not advertised as a full course or a free on-line workshop for all the participants. Over time, I think people do get better at lighting characters with practice, though. I hope we keep tackling character-oriented challenges when possible, maybe even re-using some of the same characters in new settings, until more people master the process.

-jeremy

CHRiTTeR
05-05-2011, 09:19 PM
How about a bar or a club? I think that would be an intresting thing to light as most of those places have specific designed lighting to add to a cerain mood.

Although modeling a decent one, might be quite some work...

CPFitz14
05-06-2011, 03:28 PM
A bar would be incredible. Lots of different shaped glasses, bottles, mugs, etc. Interesting lighting, maybe some neon signs.

Diffus3d
05-07-2011, 08:24 AM
I love having a character in the scenes, so I'm really happy we're talking about having more of those. I've got a few ideas for challenges.

-Underwater or icy scene (maybe tropic reef or a frozen city)
-funhouse (mirrors and gags etc)
-dungeon
-deep forest or jungle village
-desert / ancient Egypt

Just a few ideas. Whatever gets chosen in the end, if you need someone to do a few models for it I'd be happy to help.

djprasun
05-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I loved the cabin. Maybe we should switch to a challenge which is heavy on the environment. Rarely have we seen a challenge where we have seen that its completely dedicated towards environment. I might suggest a topic
- Alien planet where one of our space ship have just landed. It won't take much of time to model as it will only require to create a spaceship and a flat plane. We will create our own environment with the plane as none of use will just 'texture' the given model, they will create something new. It could be something new.
something like this
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-L64-0sXFEtA/TYQytdVwSOI/AAAAAAAAEN0/Bs89lXSBRcA/s1600/ForbPlanet-spaceship+design+art.jpg

kanooshka
05-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Happy to see a good discussion going on in this thread.

Concerning the freedom of changing the scene. The reasons I think we should keep the challenges open to changes of both the scene and camera angles is to spark some more creativity, keep the images from getting to repetitive and to keep the challenges to the casual manner that encourages each member to give feedback to each others work. Maybe in the future we could try to limit the models and angles and see how things go, it's worth trying out.

For the next challenge I'll most likely make a selection of scripts similar to what was done with Lighting Challenge #4.

As far as the proposed bar or other scene ideas. I'm very open to what people would like to light. If someone would like to model this scene or another or has a scene they'd like to donate. Please email or direct message me and we may be able to use it for one of the challenges.

-Dan

jadrock
05-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Lighting a Scene with the help of Scripts must be Challenging...looking forward for it...

Kungfuuu
05-10-2011, 04:26 PM
hi guyz i wat to participate in challenge and want to increase my skills further.If any challenges are ging on than plzz let me Know

Thanks.

jojo1975
05-11-2011, 02:20 PM
we could ask to HCM forum to donate some winners model :) that could be very funny :)

CHRiTTeR
05-11-2011, 09:03 PM
we could ask to HCM forum to donate some winners model :) that could be very funny :)

Yes, but correct me if im wrong (i dont follow the HCM forum allot) but i dont think they model allot of full scenes? just single objects and characters?

FeD
05-12-2011, 09:57 AM
ha, i'am not posting often here, but the idea of Jojo is very good, a realy detailled caracter could be a nice challenge, and creating a little environnement for it would not be a big deal i think.

+1 for jojo's idea ;)

RadVfx
05-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Want to really challenge your brain and shader-use knowledge? Here's a challenge...

Photorealistic. No maps.

What do you think of that one?

Cheers.
- Jimbo

Kungfuuu
05-16-2011, 07:04 AM
hi
it would be gr8 to do relaistic lightings

LBcover
05-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Any eta's for the next challenge? It's been a bit since the last one.

Numptus1
05-20-2011, 06:57 AM
I have to say that I think these challenges have been dying in the last few months. Perhaps an environment to light and render that doesn't look like it was thrown together in five minutes.

An environment with an extensive level of detail that would allow the renderer options of either rendering a wider view or more localised view of the chosen subject.

andrewkennedy
05-20-2011, 11:41 PM
I totally agree with Numptus. The submissions for this past challenge were rather boring to look at simply because there were only one or two really good camera angles. A scene more full of objects and possibly greater in scale would really help bring some diversity in. I'd be interested in lighting some sort of high fantasy scene or perhaps an alien landscape. Something that we don't get to see everyday. I like the sort of normal-looking day-to-day scenes that are posted but something more along the lines of the sci-fi scene would be fun to work on.

From what I can discern, there have been 4 challenges a year on a pretty regular schedule. The matinee came out in February; where is our new challenge? If we can't get our own scene, something like jojo's idea seems acceptable.

WilliamGS
05-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Agreed, I'm totally ready for a new challenge. I finally have the time to give this one a go, so I'm just waiting to see what we get. There's certainly been some challenges I've been interested in more than others, but I'm not too picky, it's free. Rocks, plants, maybe a good building exteriror/interior? Just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to it.

kanooshka
05-21-2011, 02:29 AM
I think it's important to keep in mind that all these challenges have been models donated by various individuals who have given their free time to help out. It's difficult for me to criticize any of these challenges for that exact reason. If anyone is willing to take a try at modeling a scene they'd like to use, by all means, go for it.

Right now I'm in a production crunch but I'll be out of it soon. I don't have a date yet for the next challenge, but they will probably be happening less frequently and be for longer periods of time.

zrainish
06-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Hello,
I would like to offer a scene for a challange.
please let me know if you are interested
I've attached a print screen
http://imageshack.us/f/854/lightchallange.jpg/http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/lightchallange.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/lightchallange.jpg/

(http://forums.cgsociety.org/Link)

FeD
06-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Personnaly, i like it, if it happen to be the next lithing challenge, i'll give it a try ;)

(maybe juste change the "T"pose of the caratacter to the left)

jadrock
06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
thnks zrainish...i also liked the model scene for the challenge...will be fun to light it...

gustavoeb
06-20-2011, 08:09 PM
cool! I vote for it! I just think there are too many characters considering the time frame of this challanges, maybe only one or no characters at all would be preferable.

neonbulbs
06-21-2011, 06:49 AM
@zrainish : That's a nice model to light. I vote for that too.

Cheers..

CHRiTTeR
06-21-2011, 09:45 AM
i agree, you can count my vote also

zrainish
06-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Ok then
I'm not sure how it usually works but it seems like alot of time
without a challange, or a reply from one of the forum leaders...
what should be then next step here ?

kanooshka
06-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Sorry I haven't been around, life's been a little hectic the past few months. I'll gladly use the scene provided if you would like to. I'll take a look at the model and possibly get the challenge started this weekend.

-Dan

zrainish
06-25-2011, 04:15 PM
:thumbsup:
sent you a pm with a link to the model

CHRiTTeR
06-25-2011, 05:29 PM
awesome news

evolutie
09-06-2011, 09:51 PM
For a future challenge I'd like to second the idea of an underwater scene!
(provided someone can donate such scene)
I also love the '4 scripts' idea.
Should we ever dare to light a human head, I can donate one ..

Mirco83
09-06-2011, 11:04 PM
My idea: Make this challenge a Real Challenge. I think this challenge haven't any incentives if we compare it to the past challenges,in which there was Jeremy Birn as sort of Judge.
The best images were showed in his homepage,and I think it was a sort of incentive:"my image on the homepage on one of the great lighters in the world?", is not true?
What about now? In think lighting challenge have become simple WIP Threads.
By the way, this is only my opinion..
Cheers,
Mirco

evolutie
09-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi Mirco,
For me the incentive of the challenge is to learn, get feedback and have fun..
That being said, I'm sure there are people who share your opinion...

bests,
evo

jeremybirn
09-07-2011, 11:55 PM
For a future challenge I'd like to second the idea of an underwater scene!
(provided someone can donate such scene)
I also love the '4 scripts' idea.

The underwater scene was Challenge #5 and four scripts was Challenge #2. You can download the models from here if you want them:
http://www.3drender.com/challenges/index.htm

-jeremy

csmallfield
09-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Any idea on when a new challenge might be starting? As for suggestions, maybe something epicly large, scale is always a good lighting challenge. Examples, the giant ring around the planet in Halo, inside a moon sized spaceship, looking up out of the grand canyon etc. etc.

-Chris

doodlerboy
09-12-2011, 07:08 PM
I like idea. I think we could also all benefit from lighting a 3D scene/objects within a live action footage.

nitz3D
09-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi All...

Me to have got some ideas for next challenge.. see if you guys like it and someone could provide the 3d models for it... it could be a great challenge...

1- Tunnels
http://newenglandoddities.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/clinton-train-tunnel-2008-05-10-03.jpg
http://photoeverywhere.co.uk/britain/walesgeneral/conway_tunnel4402.JPG

2-Subways

http://dome.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.3/35339/KL_001750_cp.jpg?sequence=2
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/HK_MTR_ETST_Mody_Road_Subway_Yellow_Zone.jpg

gustavoeb
09-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Like the subway idea :)

But as you pointed out it all depends on somewone making a model available. Crossing my fingers for a good new challenge, I think I might have time to join this one :bounce:

kanooshka
09-19-2011, 04:28 AM
Hey Guys,

Hoping to start one next weekend if all goes according to plan. It's going to be a good one!

kanooshka
09-19-2011, 02:08 PM
A subway environment sounds like a great idea for a challenge. Let me know if someone would like to model it.

TheOutsider
09-22-2011, 08:22 AM
We should get an arrangement with some modelers on the forum doing really amazing models in modelling challengues (Gusteau's Kitchen!! Amazing) . As a ligher It's really hard to me to find better challenge than that.

I guess itīs not that easy. Shame :) . Anyway, I hope someone find time to model something nice.

Thanks for your plenty effort.

papagyi
09-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi all ,
Can i provide model for subway(black&white) photo sample ?
How much times can you give me ? Then may i know about the detail elements for modeling? I will use 3ds max 2009 for modeling.
Here is my portfolio..http://papagyi20477.blogspot.com

kanooshka
09-23-2011, 05:55 PM
TheOutsider: That's a good idea, I'll see what I can do.

papagyi: I'll send you an email so we can discuss. What's your email address?

papagyi
09-23-2011, 06:17 PM
ok...Dude
My contact is engwaiphyo@gmail.com

papagyi
09-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Ok dude,
My email is engwaiphyo@gmail.com .Thk :)

razzlovesall
09-24-2011, 04:16 PM
@kanooshka- when will the results of challenge #27 be announced? or will there be any results at all?

kanooshka
09-24-2011, 06:45 PM
@kanooshka- when will the results of challenge #27 be announced? or will there be any results at all?

Unfortunately I don't think there will be a gallery. There were too few final entries to warrant a selection. I hope in future challenges there will be more entries.

-Dan

kanooshka
09-25-2012, 03:54 AM
Hi Fellow Lighters,

I've been running these challenges for the past few years and as you may have noticed my presence in the lighting challenges has been dwindling. These challenges take a lot of work to organize and between my new job and balancing my personal life, I find myself unable to put in the time and attention the community deserves. Unfortunately because of this, I feel it would be for the better if I step down from running the challenges. I hope someone is willing to step forward and offer to run the challenges themselves, but it won't be my decision on who would be chosen. I wish I could continue volunteering for everyone here but you deserve someone who can be more involved.

Cheers,
Dan

jojo1975
09-25-2012, 07:07 AM
If I can in any way help, please count on me. I've started to partecipate to this challenge years ago and I've learned a lot throught the, They were also a refresh from partecipating to modelling challenge :))) which I love too. I think it's time to try to give back to community what community gave me. I hope we can merge three or four people to make a small "board" for this challenge.
Cheers
Giorgio

kanooshka
09-25-2012, 02:16 PM
If I can in any way help, please count on me. I've started to partecipate to this challenge years ago and I've learned a lot throught the, They were also a refresh from partecipating to modelling challenge :))) which I love too. I think it's time to try to give back to community what community gave me. I hope we can merge three or four people to make a small "board" for this challenge.
Cheers
Giorgio

I like the idea of having a board for the challenge. That could work with both organizing and judging. Maybe, each challenge could be the responsibility of one of the leaders, rotating through each one with each challenge.

I'd still be coming by to give feedback of course, so i hope the challenges can continue.

FranciscoSCN
09-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Unfortunate news, since I was planning on starting working on the contests. But thanks for all your hard work over the years and good luck with life!

I would hate to see this board die out, step up lighters! Let's breathe life into the board!

prestonplatt
09-25-2012, 10:51 PM
You've done such an awesome job I've learned so much from these challenges. I would love to help or lead. Please let me know. preston.platt@gmail.com

mister3d
09-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Kanooshka, thank you for what you did, and let's see if those tasks can be broken-down for several people. You still could lead those challenges, but other people could help you, including myself. I'm not sure though what I could do, but those who have ideas please post. I think we need around 3 people to prepare a scene, that could model it and prepare for lighting. I'm in, and if anyone will be making a scene, please PM me, so if I have time, I will assist.
I also think old challenges are good, and we could revive them, also fine-tuning scenes for easier lighting (not sure though).
I was thinking, what if we could texture those first scenes? Though it would be unfair if put to portfolio... well I don't know. Maybe it's better if people texture them by themselves, developing a better eye.

kanooshka
09-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Kanooshka, thank you for what you did, and let's see if those tasks can be broken-down for several people. You still could lead those challenges, but other people could help you, including myself. I'm not sure though what I could do, but those who have ideas please post. I think we need around 3 people to prepare a scene, that could model it and prepare for lighting. I'm in, and if anyone will be making a scene, please PM me, so if I have time, I will assist.
I also think old challenges are good, and we could revive them, also fine-tuning scenes for easier lighting (not sure though).
I was thinking, what if we could texture those first scenes? Though it would be unfair if put to portfolio... well I don't know. Maybe it's better if people texture them by themselves, developing a better eye.

Thanks mister3d. I'm definitely willing to still give feedback when I get a chance, it's all the organizing and preparing that I'm finding difficult to continue. I've always wanted to have a challenge that includes textures as well. Maybe going back and texturing some of the previous challenges and mixing in some new ones as well. If someone new is able to organize that, I will be impressed.

-Dan

jojo1975
09-26-2012, 07:07 PM
I think that it could be good to give references for textures (as it's also made in the HC modelling challenge) or "offer" a range for textures. It will be interesting also to see a lighting challenge for RT with engines like UDK or crytek (I remember that in some of the challenge we've seen some rendering done for game engines). As always I will be glad to give my help for modelling. I've also some scene almost ready, if anyone is interested to give them a try and finish them send me a pm
Jojo

CHRiTTeR
09-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey Dan, I just wanted thank you for all the work you put into these challenges. :bowdown: :beer:

Hopefully you'll get something worked out. :thumbsup:

jeremybirn
10-03-2012, 04:06 AM
Hi Fellow Lighters,

I've been running these challenges for the past few years and as you may have noticed my presence in the lighting challenges has been dwindling. These challenges take a lot of work to organize and between my new job and balancing my personal life, I find myself unable to put in the time and attention the community deserves. Unfortunately because of this, I feel it would be for the better if I step down from running the challenges. I hope someone is willing to step forward and offer to run the challenges themselves, but it won't be my decision on who would be chosen. I wish I could continue volunteering for everyone here but you deserve someone who can be more involved.

Cheers,
Dan

Hey Dan -

Congratulations on all of the hard work you've done in the past few years! You've accomplished a lot, and I salute everything that you did here.

It won't be my decision either who becomes the next leader here, as you've all probably noticed I started this forum but was only active personally up to about 2010. I'm sorry I don't personally have more time, but between my production schedules at work and my lovely but demanding 2-year-old at home, I am not about to put in the kind of effort that I did in the first few years of the Lighting Challenges myself.

-jeremy

mister3d
10-07-2012, 12:38 PM
What about creating a thread, where people could share their scenes from lighting challenges, more prepared than initial? It would be at a free will, but in the end everybody would benefit. I will see what scenes I have, and how I could prepare them for others. And I guess people could modify them as they wish, it just would speed-up the work and preparation (unwrapping and texturing at least), which takes so long.

Numptus1
10-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Had a funny feeling this would die a death sooner rather than later. It's a great shame that people just dfon't seem to be inclined to share more these days but I suppose it's to be expected with all the stealing credit that goes on.

Ahh well, nevermind.

jojo1975
10-08-2012, 07:20 AM
I think the best thing to do now will be to see how many people is interested in helping and then we can make a calendar for the challenge. we need at least three people per month to prepare a challenge. I think also that it can be useful to offer references for the textures or a small library (like we do for hardcore modelling challenges, instead of giving the full textured scene)
we can make a list of people soo

jojo1975:modeller, can give feedback on the thread
(add your name ;)

mister3d
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
I don't mind helping, but I didn't make first lighting challenges, which I think are key for good lighting practice. Many people didn't try them. I'd like more flashbacks. I still think about preparing those scenes some more, though some people say it will have less educational sense then.

vital00
10-22-2012, 07:45 PM
I would like to help if its possible... I think we should do simple scenes with a locked camera... without the possibility to add or remove any element in the scene....so this way everybody will spend more time lighting than preparing the entire scene...and we will have the same scene lit in different ways...

jojo1975
10-23-2012, 07:25 AM
yeap, for me simple scene, with two or three fixed cameras, with also texture are the best ! Also the "seasonal challenge were a lot of fun !" I'm in for any help
Giorgio

vital00
10-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Textured scenes would be great too.... at least diffuse textures... but optional... this way people can go from cartoon scenes to realistic styles...

mister3d
10-24-2012, 10:06 AM
I doubt fixed camera would work. Because you limit a lot by this for the artist.

zbugja
10-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Hi there, I've been doing these challenges on and off for the last 5-6 years so I really want them to go on because I've learned a lot while working on them and it would be a real shame to stop now. So let's keep it alive, I am willing to contribute in any way possible. Leading the thread should be someone with proper background, a veteran :) . Unfortunately I am not a veteran, haven't been to enough wars with myself yet. So yes, I'm in!

pch90265
11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
i just heard about these for the first time today when watching a Gnomon video . . . WOW this is an amazing series.

I hope The Collective is able to keep these moving [I am certainly not qualified to lead here, but will most definitely follow...]

Best of luck to the whole crew in keeping this from stalling!!!

jojo1975
11-12-2012, 01:08 PM
new challenge coming soon ;)

Numptus1
11-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Believe it when I see it!

jojo1975
11-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Now you have to believe !! :)

TheOutsider
11-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Nice to read good news after all.
I have a scene that maybe you could do something with it :) . Write me if you want to consider it.

Meanwhile, looking forward for the new challenge.

halfPintMike
11-15-2012, 03:24 PM
So there is a new keeper of the flame! Congratulations, jojo! I'm so glad the challenge did not end here :)

kanooshka
11-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Congratulations jojo!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us!

-Dan

Reed5point0
11-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Welcome JoJo! Thanks for all the time you have spent helping us Dan! I know I really appreciated it, even when I wasn't participating in the challenges from time to time. I was learning from them.

jojo1975
11-16-2012, 11:52 AM
thanks to all. I hope I can give back a bit of what I've learned here. For everyone that would help in modelling pls send me a pm.
Giorgio

luminosa
11-26-2012, 04:37 PM
okay this isn't an idea for future challenges but a question.....i attempted some of the past challenges for practice and would appreciate it a lot if someone would give me a feedback...where do i post those images??? since the original threads are closed...

jojo1975
11-27-2012, 11:39 AM
I,m going to open a unique thread for all the past challenge. A kind of Lounge where we can talk about lighting in general and the past LC.
Also I was thinking that an architectural Lighting challenge can be in some way. What do the forum think about it ?
Giorgio

FranciscoSCN
11-28-2012, 12:34 AM
It's a good idea making a single thread for the past challenges. And maybe get rid of all the stickies?

About the archiviz, correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that limit our creativity? I mean, archviz comes with a strong conotation of being "realistic" and clean, hence the word visualization. What does everyone think?

cyrus3v
11-28-2012, 03:39 PM
I,m going to open a unique thread for all the past challenge. A kind of Lounge where we can talk about lighting in general and the past LC.
Also I was thinking that an architectural Lighting challenge can be in some way. What do the forum think about it ?
Giorgio

I think that is a good idea, is something different from the previous projects and perhaps can help some users work and learn to achieve realistic results or good light.

Just an idea.

How about, those who want to, create a Making Of and show the techniques the references, everything they use for create that amazing render. My idea is have a place here in the Lighting Challenge sub-forum where we can find, analize and discuss the techniques, composition, color theory and post-production used in each project.

luminosa
11-29-2012, 02:33 PM
about the lounge for past LC's...love it thnks :D

as for the archviz....instead of creating a whole new section to it i feel it will be better to have it as a theme for 1 (or multiple) of the upcoming LCs.... that ways it won't get boring n repetitive and every1 will learn from and discuss it too...2 birds with 1 stone

Panupat
12-01-2012, 01:46 AM
I'd like to see scenes with emotions and motions. Something with stories. Dramatic, dynamic, you get the idea. To be honest, a lot of static scenes in past challenges really bored me. Or this current V-Ray product rendering challenge.

Say, a short animated scene where a character is doing something. Could be a freeze frame in the middle of an action.

kanooshka
12-02-2012, 03:51 PM
I'd like to see scenes with emotions and motions. Something with stories. Dramatic, dynamic, you get the idea. To be honest, a lot of static scenes in past challenges really bored me. Or this current V-Ray product rendering challenge.

Say, a short animated scene where a character is doing something. Could be a freeze frame in the middle of an action.

I agree this would be great, but you have to keep in mind that these are donated scenes. People are putting in their free time to make them. It's hard enough to find people willing to donate simple scenes and models.

jojo1975
12-03-2012, 09:06 AM
The idea was for a new section called "portfolio". I mean I think that also a good architecture image can be good for a portfolio and was to make something similar to a resident "test scene" thread. Also i will put a resident old LC thread and get rid of the too much sticky :)
New challenge is on the way and it will also be in two flavour... One very poly intensive and one less poly :)
Also I hope it will bring out your fantasy and emotions ;)
Jojo

kewel7
12-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I have made a victorian based scene fully textured . It has a slight tim burton touch to it. If interested I would gladly donate my scene.

this is my website and the images are in the portfolio section : www.clintrodrigues.com.www.clintrodrigues.com (http://www.clintrodrigues.com) com

The scene I would like to donate is Shot 3 with the smoking. Everything has already been textured.

TheOutsider
12-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Kewel, that would be awesome! Not only a completed scene, also beautiful executed. (Beautiful shots)