PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Ideas for Future Challenges

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Leonikou
12-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Silvia- Wow! Wonderful news. Congrats my friend...

As for Jeremy, I am sure that he is such a good role model for so many lighters and digital artists all around the globe (as he is for me) .

Its just unbeleivable, how does he find the time?

BIG THANK!

I also totally recomend his on-line cgWorkshop courses here at Cgtalk.
I was a member of his first class, and learned so much valuable stuff! It was awesome. :applause:

Leo.

jeremybirn
12-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Congratulations, Silvia!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Juan Carlos Silva has volunteered to model the scene with jewelry, but I will let him know about other offers in case more than one person can end up contributing something to the scene.

-jeremy

jojo1975
12-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Wow Joan carlos is Really great modeller. For now I'm joining HC competition since my PC is getting crazy with polygons in HCXVII. I can help in modelling if needed :)
Jojo

jeremybirn
12-08-2008, 04:03 AM
I'm really happy with the way future challenges are shaping up. We already have the next one ready to go for January, and the challenge beyond that is being built. I'd like to share some goals for 2009:

We need more characters! A huge share of all lighting work that some of us do professionally is focused on lighting characters. I hope some of the scenes for 2009 are all about lighting characters, even if the character is also in a location that needs to be lit.
We should try to be more international. We've done challenges in the past based on holidays that are popular in the USA, like the Halloween and Christmas challenges that I modeled. Those went well, but in 2009 I'd like to find some other holidays or traditions from other countries or different backgrounds. I'm open to suggestions of scenes based on holidays or ceremonies or traditions from around the world. (I do _not_ want another still-life with candles, though, that's been done already!)
We need to maintain a balance between smaller, simpler scenes and the big, challenging ones.
Anyone have any scenes with characters to offer-up? Anyone with the ability to model characters want to volunteer? Any ideas for scenes to give a more international perspective to the challenges, while still being interesting to light?

-jeremy

jipe
12-08-2008, 05:08 AM
Great ideas, Jeremy, especially your thoughtfulness in regard to other countries and traditions. As for the characters, have you considered an animation challenge? I find that I can make a still shot look pretty decent, but once a character is moving all around the scene it presents a lot of challenges because those perfectly placed lights are now not in optimal positions. Maybe there are a few tricks that make life much easier, but I haven't found them yet...

kerosene
12-09-2008, 06:26 PM
I agree that characters would be great - sharers and texturing can become quite big workload though - maybe statues?

How about more product oriented - motorbike, car, aircraft, powertool or something. Get your metals and studio or enhanced outdoor lighting working...

Just ideas.

h

jeremybirn
12-14-2008, 06:22 PM
jipe -

I agree, an animated scene would be great. Right now I'd be happy just to get some scenes with characters, but if people wanted to do animation, too, and could get it converted into all the file formats, that would be terrific!

kerosene -

Some of the characters can be a bit stylized, so if people don't do complex realistic textures it'll still look OK. Or if a character really needs some make-up or something we could give away a map with it.

Vehicles are always a good idea. The Neon and Chrome challenge had a truck in a 3D environment. Maybe in the future a vehicle could be in a compositing challenge where you add it to a real location?

-jeremy

mister3d
01-02-2009, 09:03 AM
[/list]Anyone have any scenes with characters to offer-up? Anyone with the ability to model characters want to volunteer? Any ideas for scenes to give a more international perspective to the challenges, while still being interesting to light?

-jeremy

I recently was learning to make characters, so I would like to volunteer in making some stylised, cartoon characters. Here's a one of character I made recently (I'm showing it just to show I can make characters). http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/6277/bossgr6.th.jpg (http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bossgr6.jpg) This character is not very convenient to work with for such a challenge - too heavy, so I think I would better model specially for the challenge. I also think stylised characters will be easier to work with both in terms of polycount and not achieving realistic look. They must have some kind of modeled hair for those who don't have hair solution in their 3d program. Maybe providing a diffuse texture for them will help in concentrating solely on lighting of characters.
So how do you imagine them to be Jeremy? I was thinking about this, and maybe a short storyline wouldn't hurt, so people could light them based on a story. This idea with kitchen, when you have 4 different moods for the same scene would be cool to implement with characters. Maybe the same scene with several key poses without limiting in framing the shot? Though I'm not an animator, but I can rig and skin characters, I don't know how it will be with good key poses. But if we have some kind of a script or a character description, I could start doing sketches and see how it goes. But I can't write a story. If we have some basic character description, it would better have some characteristics like: age, gender, height, build, kind of clothing and so on, so I could work knowing how somebody imagines them to be.
By the way, is there any way to postpone the closure of "On-Going Challenges (Post new entries here!)" for two like months? This would highly motivate me to concentrate on lighting challenges and finish some of them that I so wanted to make. But if there's no way of doing it, I understand, there are interests of one person (like me) and a group (all those who will benefit from flashback challenges, and this makes sense).

jeremybirn
01-03-2009, 03:22 AM
mister3d -

I'll send a PM about possible modeling work.

The On-Going Challenge Thread will close on January 5. I'm not volunteering to spend any more months giving fruit-bowl feedback. However, throughout the year, there will be more focused flash-back challenges that should get more people involved in doing some of the older challenges they didn't get to the first time around.

Thanks,

-jeremy

mister3d
01-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Of course, I will be more than glad to help if you decide I can, it would be an interesting challenge. :)

jeremybirn
01-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Sorry I've been too busy at work this week to start into developing all the file formats for the next challenge. I'll get it on-line with at least a few formats today, and the other common formats will follow as soon as people have time to work on that.

-jeremy

kunwarnikhil
01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
hi guys a lot of great ideas here havent red all the posts made so far so dont know all of them and someonemight have made this suggestion. i wud love to see a mythical ligthing challange. picking up anything from from greek mythology to say chinese dragons in a scene. i know we have had had quite a few challenges so far a real interesting ones. Am sure this will be interesting for the participants. i do understand modeling something like this might be complex. but wud be awsome. for instance i am modeling Surya(sun god) on his chariot(chariot of the seven fire horses) from the hindu myhtology. will post a snapshot as it starts getting somewhere.

jeremybirn
01-26-2009, 03:22 PM
kunwarnikhil -

Any of those ideas could be terrific if nice models are donated and we can make them into a complete scene. Let's see your models! Either post images here or PM me.

-jeremy

wilkerson
01-28-2009, 08:55 PM
I noticed the older threads are locked.
I was wondering, where can I post my fruit bowl render?

Sorry if this questions was already asked...
thanks

jeremybirn
02-02-2009, 04:33 AM
I was wondering, where can I post my fruit bowl render?

Just make sure your fruit is located in a space ship, and join us in Challenge #18:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=717033&page=1&pp=15

-jeremy

wilkerson
02-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Hmm, thats a way of answering...
I guess I wont be posting my neon and chrome either.

jeremybirn
02-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Hmm, thats a way of answering...
I guess I wont be posting my neon and chrome either.

The on-going challenge thread was closed last year. I'm sorry if that's inconvenient for some people, but the closure was announced when the thread was getting down to mostly people posting fruitbowls over and over. Fewer and fewer people were visiting to provide feedback, and it lacked the community spirit that exists in the lighting challenges that's going on now. (The new focused flashback threads we're going to try this year should fix those problems.) And frankly, there were limits on my time. If the thread was in danger of becoming a place people where people expected me to log in and critique the fruitbowls and ktichen scenes every day, year after year, eventually I wasn't going to volunteer to do that anymore.

This year, in addition to terrific new challenges that are already underway, we're also going to try some "focused flashbacks." The flashback threads will revive a specific previous challenge, for a specific period of time. That way, people who post can expect more views and more feedback on their work from all the other participants, they might get plugged on the front page the way the scifi challenge now is, and the gallery will actually be updated in the month after the thread closes. I hope everyone likes the focused flashbacks. And I'm serious that it's OK to do fruit in space.

Thanks,

-jeremy

Nothingness
02-05-2009, 11:04 PM
I was thinking about asking if i could contribute a scene for a future challenge. But looks like i already found the awnser ;)
Reading a bit of the last suggestions, i think i want to model a cartoonish scene of 2 people having lunch in a cliché classic interior. (thinking of the style of a gentlemens duel but less cartoonisch)
I am trying to take it a little slower after this big steampunk challenge, and i would think it's great to do something else with a purpose and that gives something back to the community.
But i won't be able to give any guarantees to a date :blush:
And if you think it's a good idea, i think it would be great to get some comments from you about the scene about creating lot's of great possibilities for lighting.
I have in my mind a room with 1 or 2 windows, a fireplace, a big fancy ceiling lamp, and some candles. So plenty of possibilities. I even will do the uv-mapping so people don't need to bother with them.
But don't be afraid to turn me down for whatever reason ;) i won't mind.

Cheers,
Nico

punytjoshi
02-08-2009, 03:32 PM
[ Future Needs
I'm really happy with the way future challenges are shaping up. We already have the next one ready to go for January, and the challenge beyond that is being built. I'd like to share some goals for 2009:

1. We need more characters! A huge share of all lighting work that some of us do professionally is focused on lighting characters. I hope some of the scenes for 2009 are all about lighting characters, even if the character is also in a location that needs to be lit.
2. We should try to be more international. We've done challenges in the past based on holidays that are popular in the USA, like the Halloween and Christmas challenges that I modeled. Those went well, but in 2009 I'd like to find some other holidays or traditions from other countries or different backgrounds. I'm open to suggestions of scenes based on holidays or ceremonies or traditions from around the world. (I do _not_ want another still-life with candles, though, that's been done already!)
3. We need to maintain a balance between smaller, simpler scenes and the big, challenging ones.

Anyone have any scenes with characters to offer-up? Anyone with the ability to model characters want to volunteer? Any ideas for scenes to give a more international perspective to the challenges, while still being interesting to light?

-jeremy]

As you have mentioned in this thread I would like to let you know about this festival of india called diwali
You may not know about this festival so I have gathered some images and created a gallary for you to know this festival

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o168/modelerpunit/DIWALI/

which is a festival of fireworks crackers rangoli.
it is biggest festival in india (the way it christmas out there.) and I think it will be a great idea to do lighting on diwali theme.

If you'd like to know more can always mail me.

Any ways You know what diwali is also called "A FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS"

Thank You
Punit Joshi

bshao
02-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Regarding the international challenge, I think it'd be quite fun to do a street scene during Chinese New Year. Lots of red lanterns :thumbsup:

jeremybirn
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Both of those are great ideas!

For the Diwali, we do not want it to be just another candle scene (we've already done one of those). It can include candles, but shouldn't just be another close-up on some candles. And we don't want the swastica shape shown in those reference images because that could be misinterpreted. Other than that, I'm sure something great could be done. Some of those temples and scultures are wonderful forms, I love the architecture.

For the Chinese New Year, I'd love to do a street scene with lanterns and maybe fireworks, that would be terrific. Almost every scene I imagine for a lunar new years celebration involves a lot of people coming together. Maybe since it would be night some simple human forms could be used that wouldn't need too much detail? Or maybe with stalls along the street, or a dragon with just people's legs coming out, you wouldn't need to see too many people?

So, who wants to do the modeling for one of these?

-jeremy

bshao
02-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah I think it would depend on the type of street scene it was - if it was a nice and cosy local alley, we'd probably need a few people here and there.

If it was Tiananmen Square though... :)

Unfortunately my modelling skills are sadly lacking - anyone else able to lend a hand?

DanielWray
02-21-2009, 02:31 AM
I am up for helping modeling, i would be happy to model some props or buildings for the chinese new year scene or depending on the time frame and my free time i could try and model the whole scene, well aslong as i was helped out with a refrence or two :)

bshao
02-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks Daniel!

A few reference images I found on a quick search of the internet:

http://www.singaporeshots.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_chinese-new-year-2009-singapore-26.jpg

http://www.ceskay.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/jonker-street.jpg

DanielWray
02-22-2009, 01:17 AM
bshao: thanks :)

I'll start a rough pre-viz tommorow morning (well later on today, it's 2am!)

Even if it doesnt get used i dont mind modeling a scene, but is there any kind of specifactions i should stick too or any general, rules i guess. Im using blender, so im not sure how other apps handle the exported data.

Since im using blender that does mean people wont have to worry about Ngons though, i had problems with the SCI-FI mesh, the NGons just dont convert/ work with blender.

Looking at the images posted i imagined quite exotic buildings, perhaps an open spacee in the middle surrounded by houses, stalls and maybe some trees (not sure on the the trees though), then having lantens strewn from house to house and across the sqaure, with the stalls covered in lanterns. Amongst the houses i could model an alley way or two, so people can choose which locations they want to view from, instead of them having to model a full alley way.

Just an idea though :)

I also had an idea for a seperate topic, "French artist", an old attic room with a large semi circular window, over looking paris and the eiffel tower, the room would be quite large and have lots of objects in it, like old canvases, boxes, maybe some furniture (chair, table, canvas stand). I could probably do this full scene within in 2 -3 weeks, the buildings outside would be detailed aswell, but only upto a certain distance, with the eiffel tower being quite detailed...

Any thoughts on those?

Skamierski
02-22-2009, 02:10 AM
how about some chllenges were the Cam position is given and the whole scene is not allowed to be changed in its geometry.

just lighting and shading,, nothing else. no new modelled walls or characters. just the aim to light

brookselliott
02-22-2009, 06:04 AM
I agree I think?
It seems like it would really be difficult to evaluate differences in lighting if you have camera angle, subject, and even material/texture changes within a scene. I do think that lighting is what makes the biggest difference in how a scene is perceived and how realistic it looks. Lighting is a real talent of which I have lot to learn and it would be easier to learn if all things are equal between examples of other artists work I think.

DanielWray
02-22-2009, 01:50 PM
I agree with the above, it would make it more of a challenge and also it would mean more detail can be put into the modeling since it will only be viewed from one angle, Aswell as letting everyone concentrate on the task at hand, LIGHTING!

:)

bshao
02-22-2009, 05:05 PM
bshao: thanks :)

I'll start a rough pre-viz tommorow morning (well later on today, it's 2am!)

Even if it doesnt get used i dont mind modeling a scene, but is there any kind of specifactions i should stick too or any general, rules i guess. Im using blender, so im not sure how other apps handle the exported data.

Since im using blender that does mean people wont have to worry about Ngons though, i had problems with the SCI-FI mesh, the NGons just dont convert/ work with blender.

Looking at the images posted i imagined quite exotic buildings, perhaps an open spacee in the middle surrounded by houses, stalls and maybe some trees (not sure on the the trees though), then having lantens strewn from house to house and across the sqaure, with the stalls covered in lanterns. Amongst the houses i could model an alley way or two, so people can choose which locations they want to view from, instead of them having to model a full alley way.

Just an idea though :)

Yeah, sounds great! I like the idea of a quieter scene like that so that people can try their hand at capturing the emotion of the festival purely using lighting skills.

I have Blender too, so do what you can and when we're good to go, we can run it by Jeremy :)

Thanks again!

DanielWray
02-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Hey bshao, i actaully changed my mind about having the open scene, i started modeling and i thought about having a long road that goes off into the distance and in the distance, at the end of the road is like an old chinese temple style monument in a little park, with some buildings behind it, you can see it in the scene that i started.

This is kind of a brief run down of what im thinking in my head;

Various objects in the foreground, boxers, brooms, an old bike, going off down the road you come to an old car parked on the side of the road, further down you come to a road cross section and beyond that there is a park entrance (like those entrances you see to chinese/ japanese monuments), in the middle there is some kind of shrine type object, and behind that there are buildings.

All the way down there would be lanterns hanging and various types of lighting, such as open windows, hanging lights and lighting come from various alley ways.

That is just my idea though, im sure we will be able to come up with better ideas, but about the placement of the camera and the street, i think it'll be easier, espeically for the modellers, becuase if we let the people move the camera we'd have to model alot of detailed buildings. The camera position isnt final, it's there just to show off what i have so far, and of course the objects past the bridge part are all just quickly placed to see what it looks like.

I dont even know if this will get used for a lighting challenge, but anyway, that's what i have so far.

If you send me your email address i will send you the .blend file.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2505/render1copy.jpg

MikeBracken
02-23-2009, 01:43 AM
I like the way that scene is shaping up Dan.

Regards,
Mike

kanooshka
02-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi Guys!

I've let Daniel8488 already know but I figured I'd post that I happened to ask Jeremy before Daniel started posting :hmm: But...there's no reason to fret because collaboration is what it's all about. I have an idea in my head which I have not yet had the chance to sketch out but I think it will be a winner! Once I get the composition and list of objects figured out I'd be more than happy to have some fellow CG'ers help out. I'll keep you guys posted! :cool:

bshao
02-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Hi Guys!

I've let Daniel8488 already know but I figured I'd post that I happened to ask Jeremy before Daniel started posting :hmm: But...there's no reason to fret because collaboration is what it's all about. I have an idea in my head which I have not yet had the chance to sketch out but I think it will be a winner! Once I get the composition and list of objects figured out I'd be more than happy to have some fellow CG'ers help out. I'll keep you guys posted! :cool:

No worries kanooshka! Happy to help out with the viz process :beer:

I do love these smilies...

DanielWray
02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
kanooshka: It would be good to work together :)

If you need anything modeling just give me a shout and i'll do what i can.

Also if you want the scene that i currently have, maybe you can use some of the meshes or something, it'll save a little time, if so, just send me a PM :)

visua
03-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Jeremy, it's nice to have you back but I didn't even get any feedback on my submission for the Science Fiction-challenge?

I would very much appreciate that ;)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5711360&postcount=595

phil-w8
03-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi Jeremy,

I didn't get any feedback from you on my final image for the science fiction lighting challenge.

I was wondering if you could comment on it so i can improve :$ .

Kindly find below the link:

http://www.philippelhage.com/lighting_challenges/final_image.jpg

I learned so much in one challenge, i'll definitely be in for the next one.

thank you

-philippe

JorgeIvanovich
03-07-2009, 05:04 AM
Jesus people let the man alone.

phil-w8
03-07-2009, 10:20 AM
my apologies...

jeremybirn
03-07-2009, 03:10 PM
visua - Have you built a model for our next challenge yet? I'm expecting you to. :)
Nice job. I like the ground plate in the foreground and the DOF. Some areas look as if they need shadows or occlusion. Look at the round column on the left side of the image. The bottom of the column is black, as if there's no light to bounce up from under it. But the floor is very bright, as if it didn't get any shadows or occlusion from the column.

phil-w8 - Nice job. You could do more to make the white rectangles and circles on the ceiling look as if they were really light sources illuminating the scene. The back hallway doesn't seem really lit yet, at least it doesn't have much shadows or overall shading.

-jeremy

phil-w8
03-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for your feedback Jeremy.

BlenderFan
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Jeremy, there is all this talk about modeling the next challenge. Does that mean that the next one is not ready yet? If so, are we doing a Focused Flashback? I'm just curious about these things.

Cheers and God bless.

brookselliott
03-08-2009, 08:52 PM
blenderfan - that's a good question as I am going through some of the old challenges. I especially like the Local Train scene.. I started at the Natural History Museum, got a version of the bottles done, and am working my way through the list. I've got my copy of Jeremy's book [digital] Lighting & Rendering second ed. and am reading it while revisiting some of the old challenges to see how lighting improvments might benefit some of the entries..

I still think that not allowing camera and scene changes might allow people to learn more from different lighting techniques. Just my opinion but then again you might not get as much participation from some of the more creative types that want to show off their work and rightly so. Some of the work I've seen on this forum is just really excellent.

BlenderFan
03-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I am currently learning how to use Luxrender and these different scenes on Jeremy's website have been great to test out different techniques and materials.

I am personally against locking down the camera angle, as I'm not sure how it would be possible to maintain continuity between the various 3D packages. I wouldn't mind trying it if it was possible, though.

JorgeIvanovich
03-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Well i added some things in mi renders but just for fun ,im not planning to do in future renders,now about the camera thing i think the gallery could result boring with all the renders using the same camera,also different camera angles can show more interesting things and more personal work.

punytjoshi
03-09-2009, 03:58 AM
Hi jeremy,
I know the thread is closed and this is not the place for this but I posted my last entry but may be you had so many entries to give feedback on so you couldnt see mine but here is my final work on the challange
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o168/modelerpunit/ScienceFiction_9.jpg

brookselliott
03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
@JorgeIvanovich - I agree with you because its fun to put more time and effort into something uniquely your own but I also think that same creative effort can be put towards focusing on lighting instead of on modeling and camera angles. From my experience working for a larger company, its really great experience to focus creative efforts on a smaller piece of the puzzle, being able to offer more value in one area as part of a team can make a big difference in results. I also think lighting can have the biggest impact on realism and artistic value. Also my opinion is that from a time standpoint modeling times can be reduced for the modeler which could allow for more detail, longer shots, and we can allow fudging the camera a bit due to differences in modeling/render software.

Sciortino
03-10-2009, 02:59 AM
Well, it seems likely that people have different motivations for doing the challenges--some just for fun, some for serious practice, some for creative expression. I don't see that it hurts anybody to have people following their own particular vision with a scene and posting it for whatever feedback is forthcoming.

How about this: Maybe folks who want to be more rigorous could add a specified tag in their postings' title lines so that all the work on scenes with a locked down camera (for example) could be selected from the thread for ready comparison? That way everybody gets to participate and learn and otherwise contribute to and benefit from the community.
-Tito

brookselliott
03-10-2009, 04:24 AM
Sciortino - that sounds like a great compromise. I think I'll start doing that on past entries and see how it might work or at least try to match other submitted scene camera locations. So I'd title it "similar to user ? camera location" or "original cam location".

phil-w8
03-10-2009, 04:03 PM
As Sciortino, said every artist has his/her vision of a scene, so i think that there shouldn't be any boundaries regarding the camera angle.

You could present the scene with a default camera angle and let the artist choose between the default camera angle and another one.

But that's just my point of view.

BlenderFan
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I do like the sound of that compromise. However, I'm still wondering how we are going to get the camera position to transfer between different file formats. I, for instance, use Blender, so I would have to import the OBJ. Can OBJ files include a camera, or is there just something I am missing?

phil-w8
03-11-2009, 06:59 AM
I do like the sound of that compromise. However, I'm still wondering how we are going to get the camera position to transfer between different file formats. I, for instance, use Blender, so I would have to import the OBJ. Can OBJ files include a camera, or is there just something I am missing?

Very interesting question BlenderFan, well we have no choice but to test it.
I'll test it between Maya 2008/ 3ds Max. I'll create a very very basic scene with a couple of objects and a certain camera angle in maya and will export it as obj to 3ds max, and will see if the camera is exported too.

phil-w8
03-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi Everyone,

I managed to export the camera from Maya 2008 to 3ds Max 9.
I had to go through a few steps before.

In Maya:
- Go to the plug-in manager and load :fbxmaya.mll
- File > Export All (option box) > File Type (i chose FBX instead of OBJ).

The mesh and the camera where imported in 3ds max.

Now i've used a very basic geometry in my scene, but i don't know if we will have any trouble importing a complex scene with complex geometry.

Hope this helps a bit.

-philippe

BlenderFan
03-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the info, phil. I tried the same sort of thing with Blender, and the OBJ I exported and then re-imported did not contain the camera. Oddly, Blender has an FBX exporter but not an importer. When I exported the FBX, the exporter gave me the option of exporting the camera in the scene as well. However, since Blender can't import, I don't even know if the camera position would be kept from an exported FBX from some other program. Of course, if the modeling were done in Blender then it wouldn't be an issue, but that might cause problems for users of other programs. If anyone has thoughts or experiences with this, then please share them.

Cheers and God bless.

phil-w8
03-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the info, phil. I tried the same sort of thing with Blender, and the OBJ I exported and then re-imported did not contain the camera. Oddly, Blender has an FBX exporter but not an importer. When I exported the FBX, the exporter gave me the option of exporting the camera in the scene as well. However, since Blender can't import, I don't even know if the camera position would be kept from an exported FBX from some other program. Of course, if the modeling were done in Blender then it wouldn't be an issue, but that might cause problems for users of other programs. If anyone has thoughts or experiences with this, then please share them.

Cheers and God bless.

One more thing BlenderFan, did u try to open the .fbx file in Blender?(not importing it, just open file....).

BlenderFan
03-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Philippe, but that was unsuccessful also.

DanielWray
03-12-2009, 09:00 PM
You wouldnt need to export/ import a camera. Just create a null object (even just a cube labeled camera) and export the scene, then everyone just needs to place the camera over the null object and position it.

BlenderFan
03-12-2009, 09:24 PM
I had never thought about that, Daniel8488, but that sounds like the solution. Guess we're good to go, then? All we need is for Jeremy to start the next challenge.:)

Cheers and God bless.

zmuh11
03-12-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure having a preset camera angel would be the best way to go about these challenges. One of the best things about these challenges is that every person can express their own take on the scene and if everyone had to light the scene from the same camera angles it would make for a very boring challenge and we wouldn't see the same variety of styles as we do when people have total creative freedom.

BlenderFan
03-12-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm not against creative freedom. In fact, if there were a preset camera angle I would probably do a version with that and then my own version. It is called a challenge, though, and perhaps locking down the camera would increase the challenge factor. It really doesn't matter to me, I just like the practice, experience, and wonderful feedback, as well as learning from masters of their craft as they work.

MeanPi2
03-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Locking the camera. Heh. Good luck with that. The camera is a character meant to convey the mood of a shot and you want to lock it down. Lol. Learn to use the camera angles to reinforce your work and you'd never agree to what you people are proposing.

DanielWray
03-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Hey guys, i think there is some confusion, i only suggesting locking the camera for large scenes, i had/ am planning out a few scenes that would just take too long to model if i had to take in every angle that was possible. That's why i would want to "lock" the camera to a specific positon, or atleast a specific angle of the scene. That way i could model the scene with a pretty high level of detail.

But either way it's upto jeremy what happens for each challenge :)

kanooshka
03-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Even when modeling the modeler usually needs to have some sort of environment behind the camera to reflect anyway. I don't feel moving the camera is an issue just as much as using GI is an issue, whatever gets people interested and involved in these challenges. It's all for fun and learning from each other anyway.

brookselliott
03-13-2009, 06:16 PM
I think I furthered the discussion for purely lighting purposes. My thoughts were that since this is a Lighting challenge entries should focus on Lighting which would include materials, textures, and methods. And part of my thinking was that it would be easier to learn from other entries how lighting changes affect realism and mood without camera change mud in the water. Just my opinion...and I like the idea of having larger scene, more detailed models to work from as well.

brookselliott
03-15-2009, 06:24 PM
I think a great example of something as a future challenge might be a tranquil harbor scene. Boats may be a tough thing to model but maybe individuals could contribute a boat model or two with less detailed models being added to the back ground. If the challenge is for a tranquil setting without much water movement it would totally be doable with very cool reflections and some fog...

Here's an example of something that might be interesting, not too difficult to model, and offer some interesting atmospheric lighting challenges:

BlenderFan
03-15-2009, 07:37 PM
That's a cool idea, brookselliott, but it does remind me of the Lighthouse Challenge to some degree, which is fine.

zmuh11
03-15-2009, 08:11 PM
I think it would be fun to do a challenge with a castle, but that's just me.

JorgeIvanovich
03-16-2009, 04:11 AM
Maybe we can upload some pics and see to have ideas

http://www.newsgd.com/SPECIALS/springfestival05/festival05pic/200502220012_33569.jpghttp://www.toxel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/moonandstar08.jpghttp://www.amsterdam30.com/photo_gallery/photo_gallery_fde5135fda9c147b2e387a432a556460.jpghttp://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/blade_runner.jpghttp://www.bisente.com/files/2007/06/blade_runner_7.jpghttp://www.endorlinde.es/images/moria.jpg

We can make a list of volunteers to model, i can

MeanPi2
03-16-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm up for a flashback at this point while 'UP' is getting finished just to do something, anything. :)

And damn, Bladerunner for the win on lighting study!

jojo1975
03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
totally thumbs up for blade runner.
I think I can help modelling the architecture. I guess a good idea wil be to merge with the HC forum. They already made sci-fi, but for once I think that a coordinated effort will be great.
Always there are HC challenge and Lighting challenge and they are at the same time.
It will be wonderful to make ONE scene from start to end. I mean cooperate to have one "piece" of blade runner world and then see it in lighting challenge. If I remember well I think that Roberto already did it for Modelling Challenge + VFX challenge.

I will be totally on for that (since I guess I'm a genealist who love modelling and lighting :)

JorgeIvanovich
03-16-2009, 01:57 PM
some more
http://mrvertigo.free.fr/vuducanap/uploaded_images/blade-runner-los-angeles-752153.jpg
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3664/bladerunner026776727.jpg (http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bladerunner026776727.jpg)

BlenderFan
03-16-2009, 02:33 PM
I know what you mean, MeanPi2, just something to keep us busy. As far as the future goes, Bladerunner could be good, wonderful film.

Cheers and God bless.

I can also model, though I'm not the best. I can do most inorganic stuff, except giant mechs and really complex machinery.

brookselliott
03-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Blade runner's one of the best SciFis of all time and would be a cool lighting challenge especially one with one of the vertical take-off police cars in it and maybe the Tyrell Corp building. Seems like it would be a tough modeling challenge as well though...

greyother
03-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Ridley Scott is a lighting master and Blade Runner is certainly a de facto classic. I had forgotten how many lens flares were in that movie!!

Although I am sure this has been talked to death. Is it possible to have a low res and high res challenge? Most of us have at least one aging computer and some of us are forced to work on them. Perhaps make displacement / normal mapping a focus? Sorry, if this is a silly idea or has been covered earlier.

BlenderFan
03-17-2009, 03:07 AM
Greyother, do you mean like a low-poly scene and a high-poly scene, or just a simple scene that is kind to older computers? I would be fine with a simpler scene (think back to older lighting challenges like Brand X and Candlelight, not to mention the classic Fruit Bowl).

phil-w8
03-18-2009, 07:49 AM
I'm up for any kind of scene, as long as we have fun lighting and learning.

@JorgeIvanovich : Great pictures :)

jeremybirn
03-19-2009, 02:25 PM
There are people working on 2 challenge scenes, and 1 character that could be used in a challenge scene, that I've been e-mailing with. In an all-volunteer effort, sometimes we need to be patient when things don't get done as soon as we'd like, but I'm sure there will be new challenges later this summer. If other people want to volunteer to do something else, that's great.

I think I'm learning that when 1 person works on something it gets done sooner than if 2 or more people work on something. In the future I'll try to only ask 1 person to do modeling on 1 scene. I don't know how I'll handle it if 2 people volunteer on the same day, but we'll have to work something out.

-jeremy

PS - Let's keep this thread focused on new models, not new rules. Everyone appreciates it when you make new models for them, nobody really wants you to make new rules for them. If you have a great idea for a new rule, feel free to follow it yourself, and let us see how well it works in your entries.

Neight
03-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Hello everyone; I finally got off my butt and started entering some challenges/doing 3d in my spare time again. I work at an architecture firm doing arch vis (lighting, modeling, rendering) and would love to get in on one of the lighting challenges. Spent the last few days looking through the past ones and they look like a blast! When do you think the new one will start up? I'd love to get it on it.

Also, I'm a pretty experienced modeler, so if you anyone would like a hand with anything I'd be more than willing to help out. Thanks everyone!

brookselliott
03-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Ok, Jeremy sounds great! No new rules... And just make my own artistic vision work within the context of the scene with focus on lighting aspects.

I sure like the tranquil harbor scene idea. Not sure what's coming up but maybe something to think about in the future...

manishtoor
04-02-2009, 02:02 PM
hi everyone
i am a student and i just downloaded the maya scene for the eye challenge .
but i am faceing a problem with the uv's
i am working in maya 2009, and when i opening the uv's for "HeadPatch1", maya is showing the following error " // Error: Object not found: polyTexturePlacementPanel1. // "
please give me some sugessions.

jeremybirn
04-13-2009, 04:03 PM
manishtoor - I don't think any of the challenge scenes come with usable UVs. Just make your own if you need them, or use a projection.

Everybody: The next challenge will start in the first week of May. In just 3 weeks we'll be rolling again with an all-new challenge!

See you soon,

-jeremy

greyother
04-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks Jeremy! Looking forward to the next challenge. I assume we can still post in the older thread since it isn't closed (?)

BlenderFan (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=344973): Yeah. I just meant simpler scenes as a whole. Great lighting and composition works well even for simpler scenes.

This guy is pretty good at striking mood with simple geometry.
http://floydgillis.com/

lukrm
04-20-2009, 05:42 PM
How about lighting a jewelery scene; A piece of jewelery featuring some sort of gem or semiprecious stones.
Maybe a lot of caustics and bounce lighting should be pretty interesting on a set like that.

Just a thought...
cheers!

jburford
04-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Or lighting a Fish Tank or underwater scene!

all I know is that I am chomping at the bits to get started.....

phil-w8
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
looking forward to the next challenge...see you all soon

shantanut
04-24-2009, 04:43 AM
Hi everyone.. How about a war scene. We can test ourselves to the limit.

BlenderFan
04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
@jburford: There has already been an underwater scene, look at Jeremy's website, 3drender.com, and you will see that it's one of the older challenges. It would make a cool flashback for sure.

Cheers and God bless, see you all in May.

japetus
04-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Perhaps a noir scene or something atmospheric? Maybe something like a Vermeer painting. I remember seeing an amazing piece on CGTalk a while ago.

neonbulbs
04-28-2009, 02:44 AM
Hi all, this challenge is a great one for all of us. Btw, I kinda agree with greyother to light a simple scene with a nice composition. coz' I think it's giving us a greater challenge on how to present the image in good composition that even with a simple geometry it still looks nice.

cheers guys...cant wait for the next challenge

Kiralj3d
04-29-2009, 10:47 AM
do you maybe know when is the date for the next challenge?

kanooshka
04-29-2009, 11:30 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5805735&postcount=158 =) soon!

Darkseal
05-01-2009, 06:10 PM
I've never entered any of these challenges before, I alway miss the start dates. I'll be looking forward to trying one out!

BlenderFan
05-01-2009, 11:10 PM
@phionix: I know, I'm extremely excited about the next challenge too. Some great ideas have been discussed in this thread, and Jeremy always delivers. I'll look for you in the next challenge.

Cheers and God bless.

rodia
05-05-2009, 08:15 PM
CRIME SCENE!.....or......THE MOMENT BEFORE A BOXING FIGHT!!....the boxer's dress room??

becundo
05-13-2009, 07:41 PM
I think it would be cool to see a challenge about lighting a car headlight - like the ones on the audi R8 that would be a really good challenge

el diablo
05-29-2009, 04:35 AM
I think a great exercise would be to render a scene like you did in 1994. No Raytracing, GI, FG, etc. Tricks learned from an exercise like this will help everyone in understanding how to USE lights instead of dialing samples and have the software calculate everything. Also by no raytracing I mean shadows, reflection, refractions etc. Final renders should have a scene file attached so people can dissect what is actually going on....el diablo

jeremybirn
05-29-2009, 04:59 AM
I think a great exercise would be to render a scene like you did in 1994. No Raytracing, GI, FG, etc. Tricks learned from an exercise like this will help everyone in understanding how to USE lights instead of dialing samples and have the software calculate everything. Also by no raytracing I mean shadows, reflection, refractions etc. Final renders should have a scene file attached so people can dissect what is actually going on....el diablo

Go for it! You can do that in this challenge if you want.

-jeremy

mister3d
06-10-2009, 06:13 PM
I hope it's the right place to ask:
as long as lighting challenges mimic real work of lighters in production, is it ok adding your own sources of illumination or not? For example you have a scene with several options like windows, a lamp and a doorway. But you can expand possibilities by adding your own sources. A good example is a "haunted hallway": we have only one lamp and a window. How do we decide if we can or not ading additional sources?
Thank you.

doobywho
06-24-2009, 07:26 PM
I think it would be great (as some others have mentioned) to post some finished scene files for some of these challenges.

oneczech
08-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Hello Jeremy,

not sure if this quest for new scenes for the lighting challenges is still actual, but i figured i could share one of my rooms from a short film I'm finishing now. It is all and mostly indoor "fully" modeled apartment - kid's room, sista's room, living room, bathroom, lobby and a hallway ... i think it is pretty detailed (though some models are made with 3D Max and the coversion made some triangular, though i think if that is a problem, i could fix it and turn it into quads)

so i wonder if that would be something you would be interested in . If so , i could post the apartment so you could have a look at it ...

i would like to know, out of curiosity, what people are able to do in terms of new styles and atmosphere ...

thank you for considering
david

jeremybirn
08-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi David -

That would be great. We are finishing modeling for Challenge #20 now, but for the challenge right after that we'd love to consider your models.

I'll PM you.

-jeremy

djprasun
08-04-2009, 04:15 AM
How about a challenge which is out of this world, literally. I mean Creating a scene with earth, moon, sun etc. Like we see in National Geographic. It will be like picture taken from satellite.

mister3d
08-04-2009, 05:24 AM
How about a challenge which is out of this world, literally. I mean Creating a scene with earth, moon, sun etc. Like we see in National Geographic. It will be like picture taken from satellite.

From a lighting point of view, it's just as lighting spheres, so not too difficult. And not many variations are possible.

mnoire
08-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi David -

That would be great. We are finishing modeling for Challenge #20 now, but for the challenge right after that we'd love to consider your models.

I'll PM you.

-jeremy

a little tip of the veil perhaps...? :)
I want to participate one of these days

jeremybirn
08-04-2009, 03:00 PM
mnoire -

Don't forget to subscribe to the news (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=634553) thread!

-jeremy

djprasun
08-04-2009, 05:46 PM
no, no. I sujected wanted a lighting lighting challenge which is out of this world and it would look look like like that its picture is taken from a telescope.

japetus
08-04-2009, 06:00 PM
no, no. I sujected wanted a lighting lighting challenge which is out of this world and it would look look like like that its picture is taken from a telescope.

Well if you think about it, that's not really lighting, that's all texture and compositing work. There's no lighting in particular in outer space

Edit, meaning if you are looking at a nebula, not a planetary body which obviously does have 1 direct light

doodlerboy
08-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Whats the best way to do moss? How did anyone do it for the under the boardwalk challenge,

and Second, JEREMY!

WHERE can I get a Renderman Teapot TOY????

BlenderFan
08-10-2009, 10:06 PM
@doodlerboy: The moss would depend on your software and renderer. I would say some alpha mapping or maybe hair/fur particles would work, but again, it depends on your software and the kind of moss.

Also, this really isn't the place for such questions. I would post it in the Lighting and Shaders or Texturing and Surfacing section.

As to the Renderman Teapot Toy, you ought to e-mail or PM Jeremy about that. You will most likely get a more direct and prompt response.

Cheers and God bless.

jgr77777
08-11-2009, 02:08 PM
I would hope that future lighting challenges require entries to include more information about how the rendering was achieved. It's one thing to post pretty pictures, but I would like to see this be more educational. I don't mean that the posts should be tutorials, but maybe take one interesting aspect of the render and explain some of the detail.

Just a thought.

djprasun
08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
O man, i can hardly wait for next challenge. :bounce:

bezzeler2000
08-12-2009, 12:56 PM
I would hope that future lighting challenges require entries to include more information about how the rendering was achieved. It's one thing to post pretty pictures, but I would like to see this be more educational. I don't mean that the posts should be tutorials, but maybe take one interesting aspect of the render and explain some of the detail.

Just a thought.

I don't know about requiring more information in order to post but some more information about images would be nice. Maybe even a thread for scene files.

pankajkaintura43
08-14-2009, 02:04 PM
How about a war scene...............

jgr77777
08-14-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't know about requiring more information in order to post but some more information about images would be nice. Maybe even a thread for scene files.

This is a good idea! If each person had his/her own thread within the Challenge # thread, that would help organize the images. It does get kind of confusing when there are a lot of posts.

jeremybirn
08-14-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm getting the next challenge together. I have sets and character models. Today I'm just cleaning up and posing, then working on exporting into different file formats. I'll finish tonight after work, and the challenge will start.

I'm glad people are interested in Pixar teapots. I didn't go to SIGGRAPH this year so I don't have the latest one, but I see they are fetching good prices on e-bay, maybe I should sell some of my old ones? :thumbsup:

I don't want to make any requirements that everyone has to be good at English in order to participate, or any requirements that everyone who tries posting an image has to pretend he knows what he's doing or has a lot of technical information worth sharing. But even without rigid rules, it's always appreciated when people help other posters and provide break-downs and such after they finish a project.

For the first challenge we tried having each person start a thread. I thought it would work better that way, but most people didn't like it, so we switched to putting everyone in the same thread. I wish there were some half-way compromise, where threads could be hierarchical like on reddit or something, and perhaps images and comments could be voted on for which appeared near the top... but this forum approach is working pretty well.

If someone wants to model a war scene that sounds like a great idea.

We could do a space scene, too -- we already did a robot in a spaceship, but maybe an astronaut floating outside a spaceship as the main subject?

-jeremy

djprasun
08-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Ya man, a space scene would be really cool. Or maybe a terrain of another planet will test the lighter creativity. I just saying man, like an unknown planet will have different kind of sunlight or sky light for that matter. I think it will be really creative as every one have to think of their own little planet. And a war scene would be a great idea, it will be a real challenge to texture it. And Mr. Birn, I can't wait for the next challenge.

preetamsaha
08-15-2009, 05:22 PM
i have also got an idea of mixing both the war scene & the space scene into one. i mean a war scene in space ! between spaceships ! just like Star Wars ! Is it possible ?????
& am also waiting very egarly for the next challenge !

SageTim
08-15-2009, 07:22 PM
How about an old amusement park of some sort. You can get a fairest wheel, the tea cups ride..ect with some neon lights. Maybe the front entrance ticket booth, old incandescent light bulbs around the top. There is a lot that could be done with this.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/2804430805_81e780ddda.jpg
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8467/ferriswheeltramore.jpg
Just a thought

BlenderFan
08-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I think SageTim's idea is a great one. A carnival/fair has a lot of potential.

Also, the war scene sounds cool, though I think it should be kept terrestrial.

Can't wait to until the next challenge.

Cheers and God bless.

brookselliott
08-15-2009, 07:39 PM
I really like the idea of a space scene with a floating astronaut outside of space ship which could include texturing planets like a moon and earth in the back ground. That's a really cool idea.. There's more than few high resolution NASA bump,spec,and diff maps available for free use.

Can't wait for the new Shop Girls #20 challenge... Expecting it soon maybe?

ScotchTapeWorm3D
08-15-2009, 08:10 PM
I like the carnival idea too!

Ryu2Wolf
08-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Carnival can have a lot of potential. A night shot could really compliment mood with all the different lights used. Maybe motion blur can be added to the ferris wheel? Could get complex but sounds fun.

eduroam
08-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi Jeremy, I want to create a portafolio and show it in the next siggraph 2010. My question is, Can I use the scene of the challenge to create my portafolio?... I started the challenge in 18 with the robot, but i want to iluminated the before challenge and use this image to create my portafolio.

Is ok right?.. Of course i will give the credit of modelation of person that create the scene.

Another question, If i want to looking for a job in Lighting, is necesary to show any animation, or only image is enough to find a job in Lighting.

Thanks
Eduardo

kanooshka
09-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Great idea with amusement park scene, I think that's terrific and could be used in both night and day renders.

A space scene could be good also but we'd need something more than just a planet. Perhaps some sort of spaceship, space station or satellite as well as an astronaut. That way it would be a little more interesting.

We do also have a Chinese New Year scene in the works which I hope we'll eventually get to finish...perhaps by next January 26th?:shrug:

Keep the good ideas coming!

CBMarco
09-09-2009, 04:08 AM
I think it would be nice maybe a drive in restaurant scene like the ones from the 40's . it could be an interior or exterior scene. It could focus on the restaurant or maybe in the outside a cinema with cars and things....

divengrabber
09-23-2009, 02:59 PM
yuor forum is really helpful.

kanooshka
09-30-2009, 12:56 PM
I just came up with a new idea when I was posting feedback. Who would be interested in a lighting challenge that was a concert? Most likely I'd imagine it to be a rock concert. This would give lots of freedom to colors and all sorts of fun lighting effects.

DanielWray
09-30-2009, 02:20 PM
That would be a nice challenge, but the thing that would make it quite hard (In my opinion) would be the need for human characters in the scene, which, is never an easy task. For example if your adding texture/ materials as well as lighting the scene you have to take into account the human characters i.e. Skin, clothes, hair etc etc. A lot of work.

kanooshka
09-30-2009, 04:12 PM
That would be a nice challenge, but the thing that would make it quite hard (In my opinion) would be the need for human characters in the scene, which, is never an easy task. For example if your adding texture/ materials as well as lighting the scene you have to take into account the human characters i.e. Skin, clothes, hair etc etc. A lot of work.

I definitely agree with you. Characters are difficult to integrate into scenes but I think they're challenging and important. I would like to have a nice character model that could be reused in different challenges just by modeling new clothes/accessories and changing the character a little. I don't necessarily believe we should have characters in every challenge but I would like to have them in more challenges.

Kringle007
10-25-2009, 06:59 AM
A concert scene sounds really cool! What about setting it in an amphitheater, that way the scene could be lit like a daytime concert as well as the typical concert lighting. I also really like the idea of an amusement park. It would be fun to try and replicate the interesting lighting in either. I would like very much to try and light either scene.

jojo1975
10-25-2009, 07:39 PM
well I started participating Lighting challenge since the Glass challenge :) and I loved them all. Since now I think the challenges have covered almost any topic (someone has really been memorable, one of my favorite was the underwaterchallenge !) it has been very nice to have "seasonal" challenge and I hope they get recurring like the XMAS challenge and the HALLOWEEN challenge !

In my opinion two challenge are missing.. one is a "Pixarish" cartoonish challenge.. I hoped that the character I modelled was used that way but we had guns and explotions ;) (even if it turned out to be great).

For a challenge with a photorealistic human we probably would need a textured model.
Half of the work in human and character modelling is UV mapping and skin painting and it's really model dependent and just for painting maps it will really alot (then rigging... can also take a lot)

One "pure" architectural challenge probably is missing..
Also a merged challenge with the HC forum would be great
Just my thoughs :)

TheOutsider
10-28-2009, 10:43 PM
I´m excited and waiting for the next challenge!! What is it? :P

jeremybirn
11-05-2009, 03:42 PM
The next challenge will start in about 2 weeks.

-jeremy

videep
11-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi Jeremy,
Actually I am in a little troube, cant send you a private message so thought to ask it here.

May be you would find this question quite stupid or may be funny, but I would like know the answer to this:
1) TO be a lighting artist, how important is sketching?
2) Can we light objects not modelled by us and display it in our reel?(Would give the credits to the person who modelled it but would it weaken the showreel?)
3)What does it take to be a lighting artist at PIXAR??

Hope you reply to this. I actually want to be a lighting artist and have started working but a little confused.

ThankYou

oneczech
11-05-2009, 07:17 PM
that sounds great. I have just finished my short film endevoaur .... curious about what you have prepared for the challenge Jeremy

jojo1975
11-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Really curious to see next challenge !

djprasun
11-07-2009, 04:03 AM
Is the next challenge the Chinese New year scene as kanooshka have said in a previous post??. I'm soo exited. This challenges have fantastic models and its a treat to light them up. I really got addicted to this challenges. Thank you Mr. Birn

murdock64
11-10-2009, 01:09 PM
I can´t wait for the next challenge, it would be my first challenge, so im excited.

Scied
11-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi I must say that I just finished reading Jeremy Birn's Digital Lighting & Rendering and I loved it! The knowledge in that book is really priceless and I keep feeling the price was quite low for that much information! It is even greater that this forum exist, to help new artist develop their abilities with feedback from such talented people including Jeremy itself! I think it is so much of a deal I would love not only to participate in the upcoming challenges but also make me available to help it in anyway! Really I would love to contribute by making scenes and models for the upcoming challenges with the best of my skills. My question is can I help you guys with anything? Any models or even full scenes? It would definitely be a pleasure to help support this great initiative!

I would like to sincerely thank everyone who keeps this forum alive and thank Jeremy for the absurd amount of knowledge shared trough his book and important feedback here on forum!

NicholasZamot
11-13-2009, 11:41 PM
- Skydiving Scene
- Plane Wreckage
- Tall Office Building
- Starting Line of a Street Race (preferably with a Bike or two)
- Forest
- Mouse Hole Complete with furniture (cartoon)
- Navy Seals Mission at Night with them coming out of the water

NaderArt
11-14-2009, 07:03 PM
OK Jeremy :) .. we waiting the new lighting challenge :) ...

djprasun
11-15-2009, 08:49 AM
:bounce: can't wait for the next one

PushFWD
11-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Me too!
It's going to be my first one, so I'm looking forward to it :cool:

sb.anonymous
11-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Just ordered your book. So I will take on this challenge without the knowledge in your book and the next one with reading your book. Just to see how I much I can improve, see it as a little experiment :)

blacknoise
11-23-2009, 10:49 AM
hi,
any news on the coming contest? can't wait... wanted to participate, for the first time :)

blck.

murdock64
11-23-2009, 04:55 PM
hi,
any news on the coming contest? can't wait... wanted to participate, for the first time :)

blck.
It should start this week

preetamsaha
11-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Waiting very egarly for the new challenge !!!

jeremybirn
12-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Challenge #21 is going great! I'm happy to see so much terrific work being posted.

I've been forum leader for on these challenges for several years now, but looking at my schedule, and now a growing family, I've decided that this will be the last challenge that I run personally as the forum leader. After Challenge 21 ends at the end of this year, someone else will take over as Forum Leader for future challenges.

I look forwards to participating in these challenges and posting feedback here for many years to come, just not as the leader of the forum or organizer of the challenges. If anyone wants to make suggestions or invite other qualified people, feel free to do so. I have already informed the moderators about this, and some other announcement will be made about leadership in the future.

-jeremy

MinaRagaie
12-13-2009, 09:15 PM
I've been forum leader for on these challenges for several years now, but looking at my schedule, and now a growing family, I've decided that this will be the last challenge that I run personally as the forum leader. After Challenge 21 ends at the end of this year, someone else will take over as Forum Leader for future challenges.
although I've contributed to few challenges, I believe I speak for everyone when I say It's been a real pleasure. Best of luck for you and your family.
If anyone wants to make suggestions or invite other qualified people, feel free to do so.
Jeremy Vickery is the first name that comes to my mind but I wonder if he's schedule would allow it too.

I had the pleasure of being trained by Jeremy Vickery before and I think he can provide valuable guidance to everyone contributing to these challenges.

eduroam
12-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks Jeremy for every challenge and every feedback, i think, that there is a lot of people like me that get experience with this challenge and thank you, I learned a lot about lighting with your feedback, but family is first and everybody understand that. Good Luck.

Thanks.
Eduardo R.

preetamsaha
12-16-2009, 04:47 AM
I have started participating here from the King's Treasure challenge and its being a huge learning experience for me working here and sharing thoughts with the world class artists. Mr.Birn you have done a great job organizing these cool challenges and its being a real pleasure specially for the beginners and students like me. Thanks a lottt sir for all these contributions you have done for us !:bowdown:
I have always waited very egarly for your comments whenever I have posted my works ! I will always participate here in all future challenges whenever I'll get time.
Best of luck for all of your future works and all my good wishes are with you and with your family !!:thumbsup:

djprasun
12-16-2009, 06:47 AM
We understand Mr. Birn that you cannot put enough time as you have a busy schedule and a family to think of. We'll miss you very must, to interact with you is an honour itself. So I'm not complaining as I have gained enormous amount of knowledge by participating.

It's hard to think that someone can fit in your big shoe and replace you. But if I can chose one guy who have helped selflessly when you are not around then I'll vote for Mr. Dan Konieczka. He helped us continuously though out the Shop Girl challenge. I have started to participate from the king's treasure challenge but what I've seen is that Mr. Dan Konieczka have been the most helpful member in the forum. So, my vote goes to Dan Konieczka. :thumbsup:

punytjoshi
12-30-2009, 06:46 PM
well,
the first name comes to my mind is the name ,that most of us might have forgotten but to me he has been the best. tuffmutt uday kadkade well he has got an eye for detail, for lighting, for a composition that makes him eligible for a position to moderate the forum.I know he has not been there in challenges for a long time,but according to me he is the most deserving.his works have been exceptional and the best for two challenges at least as far as I know xmas tree and filmnoir and the work that he did on film noir well I consider it to be all time best on Lighting Challenges. when it comes to run this forum an eye for detail is more required than experience of moderating a forum according to me.

Well I just gave my opinion on possible leader for the forum,I know the best will be there.

Mrguy
12-31-2009, 08:58 PM
I know there's a room scene going on right now but I have two rooms that I've modeled that I could let you use.

This is an older model I made, it's pretty much complete:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/Modeling_001.jpg?t=1262296475

Same Model with updated lighting:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/Modeling_002.jpg?t=1262296509

Room number 2 is mostly done. Theres a kitchen that's about 90% done:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/Modeling_003.jpg?t=1262296510

brookselliott
12-31-2009, 09:19 PM
I sure like both rooms but I think room2 would be my choice for a challenge in that it might offer a better experience for learning how to balance a background photo's lighting with interior light sources.

Jeremy's leaving?
I really appreciate Jeremy's input, time, talent, and effort in hosting the most awesome lighting challenge around. Its been a real pleasure learning from an industry expert. Its not often that we have a chance to learn from a true industry expert and also one who has experience at the most prestigious CG Movies houses around PIXAR..
You will surely be missed by all who have dared to travel this forum of illumination..

I wish you well CG Lighting master on your future path of enlightenment in the years to come wherever that may lead.

brookselliott
12-31-2009, 09:32 PM
As for forum leader my vote goes to Mike Bracken. His work and knowledge of render technology, lighting and shaders is excellent. His scifi and local train entries were really very good..

herbertagudera
01-01-2010, 04:22 AM
i think we should put it to a vote.. lets suggest names then maybe someone could PM those people and ask if they want to lead the thread. after that lets make a poll or let jeremy choose his predecessor. :)
just a thought..

we need a moderator! i hope by next month we have a new challenge. :)

happy new year to all!

skull5005
01-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Maybe we could have an ancient forest challenge? See who can light it to make it look really old and mystical.

"The trees were large, dwarving skyscrapers in size, their roots protruded from the very earth, scouring for every last drop of water. The leaves glistened in the sun as light shafts burst through the treetops into the cold black below. Not a sound could be heard for miles, apart from the rustle of the leaves, as the ancient trees stood rock steady in the summer breeze."

Just an idea :)

brookselliott
01-02-2010, 06:03 PM
skull5005 - a cool idea but I think there might be too much texturing to be done instead of focusing on lighting issues. Just my opinion but I would rather spend time on honing lighting skills rather than texturing tree trunks although I admit my texturing skills need a lot of work too.. : )

brookselliott
01-05-2010, 04:47 PM
It would be better to have a moderator from one of the better known CG effects companies with good lighting experience. This might bring more artists to the forum and I personally would prefer some one who won't push their own expensive online courses to the forum and who is good at objective evaluations. I think group evaluations and comments are sometimes better than one expert's opinion and is much more effective when you have a larger group of talented artists to pull from.

runejw
01-05-2010, 07:40 PM
I second that suggestion - a proven track record is the foundation for credibility.

Next to that of course the personality will play a large part in inspiring (or not) the aspiring lighting artists.

So, probably not an easy task to find a worthy successor who also finds it interesting and possible to devote time to this task.

NicholasZamot
01-05-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm thinking maybe a Ruins Scene would be fun. Something where there's a lot of over growth and some stone buildings scattered about. Make it feel like nobody's traveled there in a long time.

mister3d
01-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Thank you Jeremy for all you've done!
Though I didn't participate in most challenges, I will still make them in my free time, but post in "lighting and shaders" to get feedback from people. 21 challenge is a lot, especially to those who are just starting.
It's not easy to come up with new and interesting ideas for challenges. So the first ones were great, yet to say most of them are great in my opinion. Can it go on forever? Maybe yes, but it's harder an harder to come up with something new and provide a fresh challenge.

vrheint
01-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Thank you Jeremy. I'm very grateful for the time you've spent putting together these great learning experiences.

skull5005 - a cool idea but I think there might be too much texturing to be done instead of focusing on lighting issues. Just my opinion but I would rather spend time on honing lighting skills rather than texturing tree trunks although I admit my texturing skills need a lot of work too.. : )

I have to agree with brookselliott. I would really like to light a scene like that but if it could come with the majority of the textures/shaders that would be optimal for me. I too need work with shaders but these are lighting challenges, I wanna practice my lighting, yo :-p Don't get me wrong, I don't want the scene to be completely textured/shaded, I just want to feel like I'm spending more time tweaking the lights than tweaking the shaders.

jeremybirn
01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I would really like to light a scene like that but if it could come with the majority of the textures/shaders that would be optimal for me. I too need work with shaders but these are lighting challenges, I wanna practice my lighting, yo :-p

When these challenges started, they started as a sub-forum under the Lighting forum, and took the name from there. Later, the Lighting forum was given a broader name, Lighting and Shaders. These challenges might also get renamed to a broader name some day, let's say Lighting and Rendering challenges, because they include every stage of looks development, camera work, shader adjustments, compositing, etc.

If a fully textured scene were donated someday it might be nice to use one. If an animated scene with rigging and animation or mocap data were donated, we could try distributing that, too. But overall the breadth of the work right now doesn't seem like a bad thing. Most TDs get jobs doing more than one of the tasks involved in rendering a scene. I hope the quality of the models can be high enough that people don't need to do too much modeling work. When there's been great modeling (and there has been sometimes), it adds a lot to the challenge, even if other specifics need to be adjusted once the geometry is imported into each program.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
01-12-2010, 02:40 PM
It's not easy to come up with new and interesting ideas for challenges. So the first ones were great, yet to say most of them are great in my opinion. Can it go on forever? Maybe yes, but it's harder an harder to come up with something new and provide a fresh challenge.

I don't think there's any shortage of ideas. We really haven't done too much yet.

Instead of specific ideas, think of categories. Let's say animal themes: a spider spinning a web, bird’s nest with eggs, lions hunting elk, elephants taking a bath, a dog on a city street, horses in a horse race, jellyfish swimming, etc.

We haven't done a lot of historical periods yet: a caveman campfire scene, Roman Marketplace, Medieval Battle, Victorian Banquet, 19th Century Inventors, World War One battle scene, etc.

We haven’t done many types of architectural scene. For any kind of space, there are multiple challenges possible. For example, an “office” scene would be different if it were the office of a private detective in the 1930’s, or a dentist’s office, or the office of a psychic/palm reader. A courtyard looks different in France than it does in Japan. A jail or prison scene could look different if it were modern or medieval. Any kind of "flavor" could make something more interesting than regular arch-vis work.

There are other categories we haven't really touched yet (mythological scenes and creatures, sports themes) and categories we've started (like holidays) that we haven't finished yet.

Some of the most popular challenges have been smaller-scale still-life type scenes, like the bottle collection. You could take almost any occupation, industry, or hobby, and base a still-life on it. I'd love to a scientist's lab of some kind, with different fluids in test tubes, maybe a brain in a jar.

-jeremy

drmaya
01-12-2010, 03:04 PM
For the challenge’ bed room’
I don't think u have been success when u choose the best lighting images on the website ‘3drender’.
There are many of them don't worth to be the best lighting images.
Another point of view that u some people uploaded many camera angel to their work and u have uploaded all of them.
For my work (afraid of Dark) I have asked u before u submitted the final images to improve my work but u never responded.

any way I wish if u make a vote for the best lighting and even make more the one to be the leader of the thread because it seems u too busy

Best Regards

jeremybirn
01-12-2010, 05:44 PM
For the challenge’ bed room’
I don't think u have been success when u choose the best lighting images on the website ‘3drender’.
There are many of them don't worth to be the best lighting images.
I'd love to hear which your favorites were from Challenge 21 -- any particular ones you'd like to single-out as your personal favorites? You can just link to the top 10 or 20 right here so we can see which ones you'd choose. I'm sure each one you list will appreciate the complement.

-jeremy

eduroam
01-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks Jeremy for your help, and advise. but some question.

1. I know that you retired like forum leader, but there is another person that will take this place? or we don't decide yet about new leader.

2. Even if you are not be leader forum, you said that you will help with your advise, of course, when you have time, but in the future you still will select the images challenge to publish in your web page 3dRender?.

3. Last one, this year you have planned to begin your courses here in cgoSociety.

Thanks for all this years that you help a lot of people include me.

Atte
Eduardo

djprasun
01-13-2010, 03:05 AM
I have to admit with drmaya. Most of the entries are really not upto the mark. I understand as this challenge had tons of entries and Mr. Birn had to sweep through all of them. But hey, I'am not complaining. Congrats to Mr. Birn on yet another awesome challenge and also to those whose work got selected in the gallery. Well this challenges are fast becoming really competitive and popular. It may be a nice idea to have a panel of judges or something like that. Just my view.

jeremybirn
01-13-2010, 03:32 AM
1. I know that you retired like forum leader, but there is another person that will take this place? or we don't decide yet about new leader.
I don't know yet. That isn't up to me, but I will help if there's any way I can help.

2. Even if you are not be leader forum, you said that you will help with your advise, of course, when you have time, but in the future you still will select the images challenge to publish in your web page 3dRender?.
I don't know how the next challenge will be judged: A big voting thread after the challenge finishes? The forum leader picking some? Guest judges, who are invited to judge and comment on one of the challenges, as a way to get a few more experienced pros involved?

If a new forum leader wants to continue hosting images or files on 3dRender.com I will agree to that. If people host images or files somewhere else, then I will add links to that location.

3. Last one, this year you have planned to begin your courses here in cgoSociety.
There might be another CG Workshop this year, but only once I'm sure I have time to do it right. My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months, and I'm still busy on Toy Story 3, so it will be a while before I can think about that.

-jeremy

Kev3D
01-13-2010, 04:56 AM
Quite a few of the ones posted definitely were up to the mark. Some of them I'd missed whilst scanning through the pages. However I thought this one (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6274925&postcount=692) was one of the best and I didn't see it up there.

I got here real late (i.e. after the deadline late) I thought there was a thread for past challenges somewhere? I've gone ahead and lit the scene and I'd like to post it up somewhere.

jeremybirn
01-13-2010, 05:12 AM
Morlankey -

That's an interesting choice as a best image. The textures are nice.

A few years ago there was an on-going challenge thread (mostly of fruit bowl scenes.) I don't know if the 2010 forum leader will start offering something like that or not.

-jeremy

NatXotic
01-13-2010, 11:44 AM
.. My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months, ..
-jeremy

Congrats man,
that's awesome.

kanooshka
01-13-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm sure that I'm not the only person who feels they would just like these challenges to keep running like they have been. There are some big shoes to fill with Jeremy stepping down but I'd like to put myself in as a potential candidate.

First of all I'd like to applaud Jeremy for all the time he's put into providing these challenges as well as helping the CG community. Thank you!

As for myself, I've been active in all but one challenge since #12, for a total of 9 challenges, as well as helped with the modeling of 2 challenges and selected gallery entries for challenge #17. I also post often with both feedback and images of my own, so I know how these challenges are run.

What is needed more than anything are the decisions of which challenge we will do next, coordinating challenge creation, as well as some modeling, and moderating the challenges. I'm always open to new ideas, some examples: having guest judges, trying a voting system to judge, perhaps doing an animation, etc...

For these organizational and decision making tasks to keep things running smoothly, I don't feel we need a highly experienced well known lighting guru. But, perhaps could ask them to be a guest judge. As Jeremy has stated he will be around from time to time and will be able to provide feedback, enter into the challenges and perhaps do some judging. In any case, I look forward to what the future holds for the Lighting Challenges and would appreciate anyone's input.

As a side note perhaps we should create a new thread for things related to a new moderator so we can keep things a little more organized.

kanooshka
01-13-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't think there's any shortage of ideas. We really haven't done too much yet.

Instead of specific ideas, think of categories. Let's say animal themes: a spider spinning a web, bird’s nest with eggs, lions hunting elk, elephants taking a bath, a dog on a city street, horses in a horse race, jellyfish swimming, etc.

We haven't done a lot of historical periods yet: a caveman campfire scene, Roman Marketplace, Medieval Battle, Victorian Banquet, 19th Century Inventors, World War One battle scene, etc.

We haven’t done many types of architectural scene. For any kind of space, there are multiple challenges possible. For example, an “office” scene would be different if it were the office of a private detective in the 1930’s, or a dentist’s office, or the office of a psychic/palm reader. A courtyard looks different in France than it does in Japan. A jail or prison scene could look different if it were modern or medieval. Any kind of "flavor" could make something more interesting than regular arch-vis work.

There are other categories we haven't really touched yet (mythological scenes and creatures, sports themes) and categories we've started (like holidays) that we haven't finished yet.

Some of the most popular challenges have been smaller-scale still-life type scenes, like the bottle collection. You could take almost any occupation, industry, or hobby, and base a still-life on it. I'd love to a scientist's lab of some kind, with different fluids in test tubes, maybe a brain in a jar.

-jeremy

That's a gold mine of great ideas!

eduroam
01-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I agree that kanooshka would be a leader forum on this challenge, i think that he know about lighting and their advise are really good.

For example, to evaluate the images, maybe, kanooshka (if he is selected like leader forum), maybe made some selection, and give this selection to Jeremy. At the same time, he (Jeremy) create their own selection (If he has time), and after that select the final image that can be publish in 3dRender.com.

Well this is my opinion

Atte
Eduardo

Jeremy: "My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months".

Congratulation and best wish to your family.

djprasun
01-13-2010, 05:35 PM
My vote goes to kanooshka. He had been the most helpful. I have learnt a hell lot of things following his suggestion. eduroam is also a contributing member to this forum. I think the forum leader should the one who is an active member of this forum.
I just went through the bedroom forum and thought that this few images have a fighting chance to be in the gallery. But hey i'am no expert here, just thought that I can share this images.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=149304&stc=1
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n436/barorot101/Bedroom-Final-CG.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_oMSn9tuThJY/SzOHMcpfRdI/AAAAAAAAAac/cev0PjDrxF0/Room.jpg

punytjoshi
01-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Whoever becomes the chosen on as the forum lead ,
I am really eager to see the next challenge start I have one more request
there should be some system that on deadline of the challenge the thread will be locked and only thread lead or moderator will have right to post (cause along with your art and creativity,complete your job on time is also really important and if people posting image after deadline and If they get their place in a gallery It will be injustice to those who finished on time and might have also compromised on their work a bit to finish it on time.) which he will post when he will have a gallery on.

Jeremy: "My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months".
Congratulation well the child's gonna be lucky his father already has 3 toy stories ready with him.

Kev3D
01-13-2010, 10:11 PM
+1 vote for Kanooshka

I would also like to see is a new thread being opened up, maybe in the last week of each competition or maybe its open for the length of the competition. In this thread, only completed works should be posted (maybe with a description of techniques and software). A post that doesn't contain a final work gets deleted. This would serve two purposes, to:

- make all the final entries easily accessible
- make it much easier to judge

Does that sound like a good idea?

Kev3D
01-13-2010, 11:00 PM
If anyone's interested, (I hope I'm not breaking any rules here) I posted a new thread in the WIP/Critique 3D Stills forum for anyone who wants to unofficially continue with the challenge.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6296729#post6296729

djprasun
01-14-2010, 04:29 AM
@Morlankey- Thats really cool idea to open up a new thread for the finished works. I have to agree that the challenge#21 have tons of entries and its hard to distinguish between the work in progress to the final render. So checking from the last page is the best option. but the image which were posted early tend to miss out as this challenge had lot of top notch entries right from the beginning. For example I say this entry (http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac113/udayk/bedroom_test001.jpg) and this entry (http://www.sushidelic.com/tmp/bedroom.jpg) in the 2nd page of the challenge which may have looked far more better than some of the work in the gallery.

mister3d
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
+1 vote for Kanooshka

I also think Kanooshka is good for this position.

Ministry
01-14-2010, 02:45 PM
i'm going to participate in the next one for sure.. can't wait..

brookselliott
01-14-2010, 05:01 PM
I think if at all possible Jeremy should choose the next person to host and I would hope that it would be someone from one of the better known CG houses out there. I think there are a lot of really great artists who have contributed to this lighting challenge and one of main reasons is because of Jeremy's expertise, experience at Pixar, his books, and notoriety.
The thread just won't be the same without a Jeremy Birn as host. I really respect Jeremy's decisions and wonder why in the past I've lost out to seemingly lesser choices but as I've looked back on all the challenge winners I understand more of why the decisions were made and more of how I can improve both my own work and my evaluation skill a well.
I really think that our interpretation of our own work or even people we know can become subjective and ruins the potential of the work. The only way to improve our work is to remain objective at all times and that is a real talent.

jeremybirn
01-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Hi Bill –

Congratulations on having your work in the gallery. I appreciate all of your comments. I agree it’s important to get people with professional lighting experience involved in judging and providing feedback. If the next Forum Leader feels more confident as “Producer” than as “Director”, then I hope he or she can reach out and invite different guest judges to judge and comment on challenges, getting more pros involved in upcoming threads.

I’m glad you see that good or bad lighting isn’t all subjective. People tuned-in to the concerns of professional lighting tend to identify many of the same things in an image. I can see from his intelligent choices above that Prasun is serious about lighting, for example. Someone else linked to one he thought was among the best which wasn’t well lit at all, and from that I concluded that person hasn’t really focused on lighting yet.

Your “evaluation skill” (as you put it) really is your lighting skill. All day as you tweak a scene you are asking yourself “what’s wrong with this picture?” Seeing how you want things to shape-up is more than half the battle. If you‘ve spent years showing shots in dailies every morning, with professional artists and filmmakers giving you notes on what to fix from each version until it is good enough to put in the film, you learn from that. Even just teaching an 8-week workshop, I can see people develop a better eye for their own lighting after enough daily feedback on the versions they post.

This forum will change, but the basic focus will not. People are here to practice and perfect their skills and to exchange the constructive criticism that helps people make better work. Maybe that will keep getting better as the challenges grow. I’m still going to be around these forums as time permits, so we’ll see how that goes.

-jeremy

Redsand1080
01-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I’m glad you see that good or bad lighting isn’t all subjective. People tuned-in to the concerns of professional lighting tend to identify many of the same things in an image.

I definitely agree with this statement. I am not of the democratic or 'majority rule' mindset when it comes to determining the quality of an image 99% of the time. I would say 100%...but we don't live in a perfect world and everyone slips up occasionally...this is unfortunate, but true. Anyways...having a good 'eye' for what makes something look 'professional' is a developed skill...something that must be learned. There are different standards that exist, and depending on the context, the concept of what is considered 'strong' and 'weak' work can change drastically. This is especially true in the field of art. However, this forum is geared mainly towards the commerical/profesional/movie/game side of things. There is a certain asethetic that goes along with this type of work that must be learned. Some learn it quicker and easier than others...but it is learned regardless. For these reasons I think it is imperitive to have a forum leader who works in this industry with a solid body of work to back up their skill set. I expect a professional's opinion with a well developed and well trained eye. For me, that is the most valuable part of this forum. It's cool to get feedback from peers and I enjoy that...but really, it will never be the same as feedback from someone with a well-trained eye. Quite frequently people participate in this forum that have very well trained eyes...but it's never a sure-fire thing. If you have a forum leader with that kind of ability...it's always a sure bet that someone will be there with the ability to give high quality feedback. I truly believe the old adage rings true that goes a little something like this: everyone can tell that something looks wrong, but most people don't know what that something is.

Just my two cents...but really, this forum won't be the same without that level of professionalism.

eduroam
01-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm totally agree that a person with a professional experience, would be better. But the questio is, Who?.

I'm not work in the entertainment industry, and I don't have contact with people with lighting skill, so in my case i could not help to find a person.

What will happen if we dont find somebody with professional skill?.

Remember that the job to find a person is our work. Not CgSociety or Jeremy.

Atte
Eduardo

Samo
01-15-2010, 10:40 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months, ..
-jeremy

Congrats Jeremy!

eduroam
01-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Well i'm looking for another artist and I find some:

Jeremy Vickery
jermilex@yahoo.com
http://www.jermilex.com

Matt Hartle
matt@matthartle.com
http://www.matthartle.com/www.matthartle.com/Welcome.html

Eric Hanson
http://www.visuraimaging.com/index2.html
info@visuraimaging.com

Jason GodBey
http://esper77.cgsociety.org/gallery/
jasongodbey07@gmail.com

Alex Sandri
www.samui3d.com (http://www.samui3d.com)
withego@hotmail.com

Jeremy Engleman
http://jeremyengleman.cgsociety.org/gallery/610457/
He is in CgSociety jeremyengleman

Now, my english is not to formal, and I supposed that we need to write a correct email, to try to motivate this people to partcipate

Can somebody write the email?

Atte
Eduardo

sumeetkaur
01-16-2010, 02:08 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months, ..
-jeremy

Well, congratulations Jeremy and wish you all the happiness in this world.
I joined the last two challenges started by you, but I never actually got the opportunity to properly thank you.I have seen myself getting better in your challenges. Thank You.

jojo1975
01-16-2010, 05:13 PM
i partecipated to a lot of challenges and I feel old :) (starting from glass bottle I guess). I want to thanks jeremy for all support and dedication to this forum. In my opinion a pro leader would be the optimal situation. We have also a lot of people with very keen eyes in this forum. One thing that i would like to say is that I also prefer if this will remaing as a "workshop" and not a challenge with a final "showcase" of the "coolest work", eventually choosen by the leader and a small group of professional (again eventually by pro). If people want eventually a "fair" judge, I guess the best system will be a mix like in the IMDB formula so a composite score made by the jury and then the votes (so the judgment of professional can count more)
my two cents.
Congratulations again to Jeremy, I'm really looking also forward to toy story 3 and also a 3d model of the newborn :)

LiliJoburg
01-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Hi Jeremy
Thank you for being such an inspiration and voice of wisdom. Being new to these challenges, having just completed the bedroom scene as my first, I agree that I would love a professional to give me advice on proceeding to the best possible work of art I can get. I have so much still to learn and have really appreciated the professional input.

I agree withRedsand108's comments For these reasons I think it is imperitive to have a forum leader who works in this industry with a solid body of work to back up their skill set. I expect a professional's opinion with a well developed and well trained eye. For me, that is the most valuable part of this forum. It's cool to get feedback from peers and I enjoy that...but really, it will never be the same as feedback from someone with a well-trained eye.

Congratulations on your news of having a baby soon. Looking forward to getting better and better as the challenges progress.

Ciao L

Ministry
01-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Congratulations MR. Jeremy. :bounce:

genaf1
01-18-2010, 12:24 PM
My 2 cents
Choose a new leader can be a forum for a long time. As suggested by the eduroam, you can write to people from this list, etc. This case still has to take the leader ... I suggest this role Kanooshka. If he agrees, he will hold talks with a number of artists, organizes and makes the next Challenge (theme, models, etc.) and will become one of the main forum leaders

kanooshka
01-18-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm happy to inform you that I've been chosen as the new Forum Leader. :cool:

First off, thanks for all the votes of confidence! I know a lot of you are afraid this won't quite be the same without a seasoned professional running the show but, I think we can make it work. Guest judges/critiques may be something we'd like to try out. If you know anyone who you'd like to be a judge let me know.

I'd like to start getting the next challenge ready ASAP. If anyone is interested in modeling please send me a PM. If you also could include a link to some modeling work you've done in the past, that would be a huge help.

I like a lot of the ideas that have come up in this thread, please keep them coming!

eduroam
01-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Congrats kanooshka....

azriel seth
01-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Congratulations Kanooshka! http://62.0.5.135/forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/beerchug.gif
Looking forward to the new challenge from you!
Hope I can finish the challenge this time... http://62.0.5.137/forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/wink.gif

pankajkaintura43
01-19-2010, 04:59 AM
Well 2 gr8 news...........
My heartiest congratulations to Mr. Jeremy..........& 2 Mr. Kanooshka..........

sumeetkaur
01-19-2010, 06:01 AM
Congratulations Kanooshka.:)

halfPintMike
01-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Congratulations, kanooshka! :thumbsup: Really looking forward to this new phase in lighting challenges.
-Timothy

LiliJoburg
01-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Congratulations Kanooshka and looking forward to the next challenge.
L

djprasun
01-19-2010, 05:00 PM
kanooshka, our man! :bowdown: I really rooted for you. I really learned a lot from your suggestion. Looking forward to participate in your challenge.

gautambhardwaj
01-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Mr. Jeremy Birn is Mine Idol & I haven't participated in either of his Challenge. I thought to Participate this time But sir stopped to lead this forum. But really they have given this place to someone who is really have awesome work & suitable for this place. So m really happy to participate in the challenege gng to be lead by Kanooshka THis time.
Heartly Congratulation to Kanooshka sir.

Assadshk21
01-20-2010, 04:55 AM
glad to join you all with new Challenges

Reed5point0
01-20-2010, 04:33 PM
GRATS Kanooshka!

I have learned alot from some of your posts as I slowly move from post to Lighting / Texturing.

I can't wait to see what the next challenge is!

Thelby
01-21-2010, 03:23 AM
I'm happy to inform you that I've been chosen as the new Forum Leader. :cool:

First off, thanks for all the votes of confidence! I know a lot of you are afraid this won't quite be the same without a seasoned professional running the show but, I think we can make it work. Guest judges/critiques may be something we'd like to try out. If you know anyone who you'd like to be a judge let me know.

I like a lot of the ideas that have come up in this thread, please keep them coming!

1st. Big Congratulations to Jeremy, his wife and their new family to be. We want to see pictures in a few months Jeremy ;)

2nd. Congrats to Dan Kanooshka. We look forward to your lead and inspiration.

3rd. I'd like to start getting the next challenge ready ASAP. If anyone is interested in modeling please send me a PM. If you also could include a link to some modeling work you've done in the past, that would be a huge help.
I am not a modeler yet :cry: but, the name Stonemason,(Stefan Morrel) comes to mind and as one of the Best that I am familier with. Don't want to put him or anyone else on the spot, but the man knows his business! :)

jojo1975
01-21-2010, 08:56 AM
check you email kanooshka :) Jojo

LD50
01-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Congratulations kanooshka! I think its a good choice for the new forum leader cause you gave the most and of course the most expert feedback at least in the last challenge wich was the first one for me. And i think im definitly in for the next one. How was it in the past with the challenge themes and scenes? Did Jeremy suggest one and people start to model or was it decided on the scenes which were available?

greetz

djprasun
01-22-2010, 03:56 PM
So, any news of the upcoming challenge. :hmm:

kanooshka
01-22-2010, 04:00 PM
So, any news of the upcoming challenge. :hmm:

The next challenge will most likely be starting the beginning of next month. There's a lot of logistics to figure out such as hosting, file conversion etc... as well as the scene itself needs to be completed.

djprasun
01-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Ahh! I can hardly wait :bounce:

vrheint
01-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Congrats Kanooshka, it seemed like you were a shoe-in for the position with all the feedback you were giving in the last challenge. I look forward to working with you.
Congrats to Jeremy and his new family and good luck :)

In regards to the challenges, I liked the way the bedroom scene worked where we were given the task of creating many different moods and wouldn't mind working on some more like this somewhere down the line. I like the idea of an outdoor scene again, I've been trying to go back and work on the past challenges (lighthouse, Noir scene) but get sidetracked with other projects and responsibilities. Even a mix of the outdoor and architecture would be fun. I imagine it would be a hefty task to model an elaborate building like a cathedral but that would be a joy to light.

just my two cents
-Vince

Leotril
01-22-2010, 05:40 PM
im surely gonna miss you Jeremy since i started playing with maya three years ago i couldn ask for a better place to learn.. the constructive criticism and comments i get were invaluable.. i just got my first my baby girl seven month ago and i hope u got bless too with a girl offcourse :] drop by the challenges now and then give as some comments and why not participate in if u have any free time ..

congratulations Kanooshka ur gonna see a lot of me i hope on the oncoming challenges and i hope you continue given that professional feedback is gonna be caotic sometimes but we all should help giving each others C&C

i just update my signature with all my entries in the galleries and the wip ones also, i hope u enjoy my work.. and thank you all

NatXotic
01-22-2010, 06:07 PM
I like the idea of an outdoor scene again, I've been trying to go back and work on the past challenges (lighthouse, Noir scene) but get sidetracked with other projects and responsibilities.
-Vince

:) actualy what a lot of people underestimate is a believable outdoor scene. Although you have one main light source (sun) it's not as easy as it seams....
I would even go that far and say it's harder than an indoor.

brookselliott
01-23-2010, 01:55 AM
kanooshka,

I won't say congrats because I know it takes time and effort to host and create content for something like this without compensation but I hope you can see your way to devoting the time it takes to do a great job and possibly contribute yourself and show us how its done at times.

LiliJoburg
01-23-2010, 08:45 AM
I would enjoy an outdoor scene challenge as well.
L

Hamburger
01-23-2010, 08:55 AM
:) actualy what a lot of people underestimate is a believable outdoor scene. Although you have one main light source (sun) it's not as easy as it seams....
I would even go that far and say it's harder than an indoor.

Especially scenes that require multiple shots outside because you usually have to get the said light source (sun) to look good in every angle/shot. That is a really big challenge!

I remember a carnival scene being mentioned before, I think that would be fun to do with the chance to play around with different light sources and colours.

jeremybirn
01-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Congratulations to Kanooshka!

This is a big job, almost like coordinating an open-source software project, so I wanted to post publicly a few comments about where the models have come from.

Some challenges I just modeled myself when I was forum leader, but hopefully that won't have to be a regular part of the job.

Some scenes were pre-existing models donated by someone who e-mailed or PM'd me, and I took them, often using them with some modifications. The bedroom scene from the last challenge was created for a short film by someone who took my CG Workshop last time, and he decided to support the challenges by offering a set from his film. (If anyone has some great 3D models or scenes sitting on their hard drive, I hope they post here or contact kanooshka!)

For some challenges, I contacted someone who was already giving away free 3D models, like the dinosaur skeletons in the Natural History challenge, and asked for permission to use them in a challenge.

But many times, the models were built-to-order for a challenge by volunteers. Of course the availability of any volunteer modeler changes depending on his work schedule, but I hope anyone who has modeled in the past for these challenges coordinates with kanooshka about modeling for future projects.

Kanooshka might also need help converting models into other file formats. If you're an experienced user of any app that needs support, you might contact Dan about being willing to import from some intermediate file format, and verify and save-out the file in your own software's formats, before the next challenge begins.

-jeremy

djprasun
01-24-2010, 04:35 AM
Alas, I wont be any help to modelling as my modelling is simply not in the same level to be used for lighting challenge. But I know a guy from India who post great 3d sets online for free. Here is the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement_of_software. Just my bits.

jeremybirn
01-24-2010, 04:58 AM
I know a guy from India who post great 3d sets online for free. Here is the link . . . . Just my bits.

Alas, that looks like some very questionable links to pirated software there, not models he built himself or has rights to.

-jeremy

ipranawake
01-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Wow .... Congratz Kanooshka, ..... I will definitely be participating your first lighting challenge .......... Looking forward for it.

djprasun
01-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Alas, that looks like some very questionable links to pirated software there, not models he built himself or has rights to.

-jeremy
Whooo! I didn't know that. I downloaded so many sets from that site. I'am really embarrassed about giving that link. Sorry :blush:

prettyh8machine
01-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Hey guys. Just wanted to thank Jeremy Birn for holding these challenges for so many years, so successfully. I'm not a lighter but only to understand how lighting works, I've been reading Jeremy's detailed critique since the early days of lighting challenges and have been an admirer of his patience and talent. Must say that I learned many things even without ever entering into the challenge. This whole series coupled with his book has been a great source of learning for beginners at my workplace, just the way it is the case in many studios in many countries.

I really really hope that he gets enough time to come on the forums and write his valuable critique because this source of learning must never end and it'll be very sad if we lose a chance to read his comments. I request him to keep lurking around these forums if he manages to get any time from his busy schedule.

Cheers

neotrixstdr
01-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Congratulations Kanooshka! http://62.0.5.135/forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/beerchug.gifif i can help you in some way, just tell me.

preetamsaha
01-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Congratulations Kanooshka !!! I am very happy that you have been chosen as the forum leader.:bowdown: You have been very kind and helpful to everyone and I have learned a lot from your comments, specially in the The Shop Girls challenge, you have helped me a lot at that time. I am very exited and thrilled for participating at your first challenge !
But we will miss u very much Jeremy Sir ! I have all my good wishes for you and for your family !

preetamsaha
01-27-2010, 10:03 AM
@ Kanooshka- Is there any theme u have selected for the next challenge ??

kanooshka
01-27-2010, 12:37 PM
@ Kanooshka- Is there any theme u have selected for the next challenge ??

I sure have, but everyone likes the suspense :thumbsup:

greyother
01-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Jeremy: Really sad to see you bowing out.
Kanooshka: Congratulations! Looking forward to the next challenge!

zmuh11
01-28-2010, 12:33 AM
@Jeremy - Thanks for doing these challenges I've really enjoyed them! Congrats on the new addition to your family.

So when is the next one?

NicholasZamot
01-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Possible themes:

- 50's Cruising Classics / Blast from the Past
- World in a Mirror / Another World (Like Alice in Wonderland)
- Life as an Inanimate Object (I.E a Sneaker)
- Ship Wreaked / The Perfect Storm (Lol)
- A College Students Finals
- Tiny Perspective (Ant -> Mnt. Everest)

Just a few I could probably sit here for hours and just think of things up but anything that could always help so we could get more mini challenges going. Also a suggestion while one Challenge is going on maybe have the next one prepared?

ravikumarms
02-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Why don't we on to exterior shots with follages grass where we can create the moods of lighting.

kanooshka
02-11-2010, 04:18 PM
I'd like to get the modeling started for the next challenge. I've selected a few themes that I think would be interesting, please PM me if you're interested in modeling, would like to submit a scene you've already created, know of someone who would like to model or have a different theme you'd like to model from.

An Office Scene - private eye? dentist office? etc...
Theater - A play? A Movie? Drive-in movie? etc...
A Scientist's lab
Sports Event - Football? Rugby? Tennis? etc... For this we'd probably need characters.

tuffmutt1
02-11-2010, 09:13 PM
I'd like to get the modeling started for the next challenge. I've selected a few themes that I think would be interesting, please PM me if you're interested in modeling, would like to submit a scene you've already created, know of someone who would like to model or have a different theme you'd like to model from.

A Scientist's lab
Sports Event - Football? Rugby? Tennis? etc... For this we'd probably need characters.
LOL...you've started to run this forum with a BANG!!! this carnival thing is already testing my CPU and my patience...LOL. lucky i am using the MR render subsets which really helps rendering that mental ray if u r comping stuff.
can i suggest a real hard one which might be more of a shading issue than say lighting hundreds of objects at the same time?
put a glass of milk/a lemon./couple of chillies and a few berries along with cheese and ceramic and steel /chrome....
my 2 cents....:)

tuffmutt1
02-11-2010, 09:30 PM
umm ...call it SSS special. its a hard one with so many SSS objects in one scene....

kanooshka
02-12-2010, 02:41 AM
LOL...you've started to run this forum with a BANG!!! this carnival thing is already testing my CPU and my patience...LOL. lucky i am using the MR render subsets which really helps rendering that mental ray if u r comping stuff.
can i suggest a real hard one which might be more of a shading issue than say lighting hundreds of objects at the same time?
put a glass of milk/a lemon./couple of chillies and a few berries along with cheese and ceramic and steel /chrome....
my 2 cents....:)

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the scene, it doesn't seem to be too complex. Maybe if there's geometry that isn't visible you can delete it. Or if you really have to, you could reduce the polycount on objects like the horses.

I'm fine with doing any subject matter you guys want to light. If the majority of you would like simpler scenes and stick to more still lives, we can do that more often. I still would like have larger scenes sometimes but we can do smaller ones for the majority of the time. I'd love some feedback on what other people think of this as well.

jeremybirn
02-12-2010, 03:08 AM
This carnival scene looks amazing. I hope Dan plugs it on the front page at some point.

After several "big" scenes in a row, a pure still life (only showing what's on one table in front of you) could be nice for variety. You could do the "Mad Science" challenge as a still-life, just what's on the scientist's lab bench.

Uday could test his SSS settings on the liquids or gels in the different test tubes and Petri dishes, and use a different SSS shader for the human brain in the jar.

-jeremy

herbertagudera
02-12-2010, 03:10 AM

A Scientist's lab

wow! already?! :))
lighting a play in the theater sounds to me that we're going to have fun doing it. alot of emotions can be portrayed on lights alone. :)

the private detective office scene would be a great challenge. as for the themes to choose from, why not try to capture a detective's office scene in a movie depending on what decade you want it to look like. and looking for reference photos is gonna be easy. anyway just a thought. :)

halfPintMike
03-14-2010, 09:23 AM
hello kanooshka, I was wondering if the wip thread for a particular challenge will be open even after the deadline is past? So that even if the challenge is over, one can have his or her work critiqued at a dedicated place.

Yours,
Timothy.

kanooshka
03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
hello kanooshka, I was wondering if the wip thread for a particular challenge will be open even after the deadline is past? So that even if the challenge is over, one can have his or her work critiqued at a dedicated place.

Yours,
Timothy.

That's a very interesting idea and I think I might try that out. Obviously once a challenge is over the entries won't be entered into judging for the gallery. The one issue I'm afraid of is people getting confused and posting in old threads expecting entry into the gallery or posting in old challenges thinking it's the current challenge. I say that we'll try it out when this challenge is over and see how it goes.

halfPintMike
03-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Thank you for considering the idea, kanooshka. Yes, it certainly can lead to some confusion but let's see how it goes after the current one's over.
T.

lilnamz
04-08-2010, 06:48 AM
The topics like movie drive , scientist lab etc seem interesting...but I was just wondering ....all the challenges so far, be it small or huge , most of them have been realistic scenes in terms of render.
So , can we go for lil semi-realistic scene this time.. for instance, a dream land....or...an enchanted land... something with toons ... fantasy or something like Ice age???

but anyway am a big time fan of all the challenges and the outputs here. so whatever the theme may be i 'll be always eager to participate. :thumbsup:

Sinew
04-09-2010, 12:52 PM
I love these challenges, but sometimes the scale of them means I can't find the time to complete them, so I'd personally like to see a small / medium scene that is less time intensive in terms of texturing, modelling, etc, but still capable of offering us a wide scope for lighting creativity.

Still life sounds interesting, or how about a small courtyard?

What about an art galery? Depending on the subject of the art could really influence the way people approach the lighting?

Another subject could be car renderings. It would be interesting to see individual processes, and also to see how far people can push the limits of what is traditionally a car / product render.

Deano.

CHRiTTeR
04-24-2010, 04:41 AM
this thread a few minutes ago... thought it looked intresting and could be a good condidate for the next challenge.
Seems like the good old sponza got a little update :D

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=874678

Off course we need to ask permession first to the guyswho created the scene:

Hello...
I took a break from my current work and tried out the new Sponza model found at Crytek's web site here:
http://www.crytek.com/downloads/technology/

This current model is the "Atrium Sponza Palace, Dubrovnik" created by Frank Meinl, who improved the original Sponza model that was created by Marko Dabrovic in early 2002.

Heres the scene available for download.
http://www.crytek.com/downloads/technology/

digitalworkshop
04-26-2010, 10:21 AM
hi all,

As a suggestion for the next Lighting challenge i suggest a bar/club interior scene. With lot of reflective materials and glass. This way we get to showcase night scene with lot of contrasty lighting.
Just a suggestion.
few examples:

http://www.lesaintsulpice.com/html/fre/images/le_saint_sulpice_hotel_bar.jpg

http://www.tribar.fr/bar-club-nightclub.jpg

http://blog.whitesites.com/galleries/633701687231880030/large/Temptation-Lounge-Houston-Nightclub_6337016940943800301.jpg

regards,
Digi

genaf1
04-26-2010, 11:07 AM
my two cents:

Pirates - a ship with sails. deck of a ship ...
Fantasy can be something of LOR.
Winter landscape. birds, animals ...
Back to the past ... the stone Age ... dinosaurs ... the birth of life on land ...
Underwater world of corals ... fish red sea ...

kanooshka
04-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Lots of great ideas. I'll keep these in mind but keep them coming the more the better! The next challenge has been in the works and I'll try to get it out as soon as possible after the current challenge is finished.

djprasun
05-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Congratulation to Mr. Konieczka for organizing such a wonderful challenge. Your theme was brilliant as it made my mind go crazy, limited only by my ability. First of many to come I guess. Thank you.

amitlighting
05-02-2010, 10:40 AM
such a gr8 challenge.i m waiting for da next challenge.

WeezTheJuice
05-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Lots of great ideas. I'll keep these in mind but keep them coming the more the better! The next challenge has been in the works and I'll try to get it out as soon as possible after the current challenge is finished.
Can't wait!

kanooshka
05-03-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm curious on what people liked and disliked about the last challenge, the carnival, what would you like to change? keep the same? did having the WIP and Final Images thread work well? Please drop me a PM with your thoughts and ideas.