PDA

View Full Version : FK Inherit Problem - HEEELLPPP

Cleveland
01-14-2006, 01:24 PM
FK Inherit problem,
i don't usually beg for help but i'm at my wit's end. i'm trying to make fk inherit switches. basically i'm parenting a copy of the joint to worldspace and constraining the regular joint to it with an orient constraint. so it's fine and i can move the body or back, say, and the joint stays oriented in world space. HOWEVER if i rotate the joint then move the body or back then the orientation of the joint snaps back to it's original worldspace orientation. i've tried everything i can think of. please can someone help.

clevelanc

Global
01-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Not sure if I understand fully what you are saying (It's probably me as I'm pretty tired! ;)) But I think what you need to do here is to parent the joint (the copied joint) to an empty group or a locator etc and apply the orient constraint to that locator / null node etc... that way the child (your joint) will inherit the orientation but won't 'snap' back when you move the orient's driver.

Hope that a) makes sense and b)... helps :)

NolanSW
01-14-2006, 06:53 PM
To understand, you want an FK control that will inherit rotation from it's parent joint? This will help with that http://highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/character/3877.html. (http://highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/character/3877.html)

There is a quick demo of what it does. The key behind it is that there is another group above the controls group that is point and orient constrained to the parent joint. I then create 2 pairblends and create a SDK and attribute on the control called inherit Rot (others call it Free orient) but the premise is the same.

Sean

Cleveland
01-14-2006, 11:16 PM
thanks guys. actually the problem was that i was trying to rotate the joint that actually had the constraints applied. so instead i made the constrained joint the parent of the joint that i want to manipulate, which was the gist of what you were saying, global. @SDK i just wanted a broken hierarchy for the FK and was messing it up. i've controlled the blending with a reversal node. which is sweet.

thanks for the help.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.