PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Length of Supported Waveforms

tk421storm
01-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Now goodness knows AfterEffects has many problems with audio - but this a first for me. I was getting hopelessly frustrated trying to render an audio waveform/spectrum for an imported wavefile, with no results - the waveform/spectrum just remained flat. I attempted with a shorter file of the same format (the original was 6 min, cut down to 3) and the waveform worked. The file that did work was only 6 seconds long. Is this some undocumented limit? Does AfterEffects just crap out and give up on long files?

JohnnyRandom
01-14-2006, 03:34 AM
I am almost positive the duration of playback in the timeline is ram dependant. The more ram the more audio you can have. the waveform visual is obviously generated from the audio file so...

beenyweenies
01-14-2006, 08:53 PM
I am almost positive the duration of playback in the timeline is ram dependant. The more ram the more audio you can have. the waveform visual is obviously generated from the audio file so...

The only problem here is that visuals generated from audio don't need the entire length of audio to be spooled into ram just to work on the part that IS spooled into ram. Or at least they shouldn't unless it is some poorly written plugin. Generally you should be able to preview 2 frames of it if that's all that can go to ram.

dizzl8r, what are you using to render the waveform? Is it the default AE plugin?

JohnnyRandom
01-14-2006, 09:13 PM
dizzl8r, what are you using to render the waveform? Is it the default AE plugin?

yeah, silly question is there a better one?(i'm sure there is)

i've only used it a couple of times, and well my laptop only has a gig, my workstation has 2.5 and it seems to get a longer duration for audio playback

beenyweenies
01-15-2006, 08:11 AM
yeah, silly question is there a better one?(i'm sure there is)

i've only used it a couple of times, and well my laptop only has a gig, my workstation has 2.5 and it seems to get a longer duration for audio playback

hmm, a gig isn't too shabby, should be plenty, especially for something simple like that. Maybe check your preferences and make sure AE is using as much RAM as possible before using disk cache (you can set RAM usage to like 120%) and if possible make sure your disk cache is a non OS disc.

As for plugins, Trapcode soundkeys is great but I have only used it for other effects so not sure if it renders out waveforms.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.