PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Electric Image Forum

Vizfizz
01-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Please consider adding an Electric Image forum in the 3D application section.

Thank you

Brian Pohl

iKKe
01-12-2006, 10:44 PM
:thumbsup:

Yes Please!

JDex
01-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Add a poll, and if enough interested people show interest... get the manufacturer to contact CGNetworks.

Reuben5150
01-12-2006, 11:46 PM
EI forum ? yes please

Vizfizz
01-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Why can't the users ask for a forum? Is this CGtalk's formal position on this? I'm curious.

tjs61822
01-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Another vote for the Electric Image forum.

Burney
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Please add am Eias Forum to CG Talk. Thank!!!

Burns1957 :bounce:

3DArtZ
01-13-2006, 01:46 AM
Definate! Would love to have another reason to come and visit here:)

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com (http://www.3dartz.com/)

JDex
01-13-2006, 02:12 AM
Why can't the users ask for a forum? Is this CGtalk's formal position on this? I'm curious.

What are you talking about? If you had read the sticky in this subforum you would see that I just posted how you ask for a forum.

Vizfizz
01-13-2006, 03:41 AM
Sorry about that. I didn't even see the sticky on requesting a forum. No need to get defensive. I will check into it.

JDex
01-13-2006, 03:55 AM
No worries... it's funny how text conversations seem to take on the emotion of there own. Read what I wrote as a simple question and statement, without inferring emotion. Not defensive at all. Cheers and good luck on getting a forum.

Vizfizz
01-13-2006, 05:58 AM
No problem JDex... thanks for the encouragement!

Brian

yhloon
01-13-2006, 06:15 AM
you have my vote:thumbsup::applause:

Leonard
01-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Hey Brian, good to see you here! Long time no see!

Do you know if there's enough of a demand from EI users to start up an EI forum here on CGTalk? I don't mind starting one up, but it would need some sort of official endorsement by EI, and an active Forum Leader that can help promote and moderate it. Would that be you? :)

Leo

halfworld
01-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Yo, me too :)

Be.eM
01-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, "me too", too :)

Bernd

Jedt3D
01-13-2006, 01:18 PM
I agree to start an EI forum here. I'm sure that many people can help CGTalk moderate and promote it. Even me. ;-)

Giacomo_M
01-13-2006, 02:41 PM
I just want to add my vote to the requests for an EIAS forum here on CGTalk.

G

Vizfizz
01-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey Brian, good to see you here! Long time no see!

Do you know if there's enough of a demand from EI users to start up an EI forum here on CGTalk? I don't mind starting one up, but it would need some sort of official endorsement by EI, and an active Forum Leader that can help promote and moderate it. Would that be you? :)

Leo

Hi Leonard,

Good to hear from you too. I've been a bit swamped lately opening my own business over the past couple of months. Just finished up on Open Season with Sony, and now I'm providing previs services to the film community. If you'd like to check out my website, here it is...

http://www.persistenceofvision.com

As for EI, I would love to moderate an EI forum. After all these years, it still holds a very special place in my software toolset and my little CG heart. :) I'll let this thread grow a bit more and submit it to the folks at EI and see if I can get that endorsement.

Brian

barnabythebear
01-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Hi All,

Yes please.

ta

nige.

Vizfizz
01-13-2006, 08:47 PM
When thinking back about software that got us started in the CG industry, no one can refute the fact that Electric Image played a vital role in early CG history. However, this particular 3D package has gone through a number of trials and tribulations that caused this one time king to fall from the CG throne.

Times are a changing.

With the advent of the EI Technology Group, the Electric Image Animation System is making its way back from the limbo of the "Play" years and is now offering a number of dramatic advancements within Animator and Camera that will do the program's history proud.

The EI community, I believe, is ready to help propel EIAS back into the CG spotlight. We would like to begin by opening up an official forum on what is unquestionably the most frequently visited CG forum on the web today. CG Talk.

Please chime in and offer your support for this great piece of software.

Vizfizz
01-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Hey Everyone..

Please check out the new thread in Suggestions and vote to add an EIAS forum on CGTalk.

Brian

HAWK999
01-13-2006, 11:13 PM
You have my vote

iKKe
01-13-2006, 11:32 PM
:thumbsup:

Thanx Brian

Reuben5150
01-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Well said Brian,

ElectricImage is still my no1 choice for the little bit of CG i do, i hope it continues to evolve in the way it has over last 12 months and expect it will :)

Reuben

Reuben5150
01-13-2006, 11:47 PM
http://www.persistenceofvision.com

nice intro and banner !

Reuben

yhloon
01-14-2006, 05:13 AM
EI is getting better and better...
there is no reason to not having a forum in cgtalk...:)

Loon

SteveW928
01-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Yes... EI was very instrumental in getting me going in 3D as well. I tried several apps, and other than Infini-D, was not really 'clicking' with them. A friend (on PC using 3D Studio) introduced me to EI because of how much respect it had in the industry and because he knew I was a Mac user. The price had just dropped from $7000+ to under $3000 and I could finally get my hands on a Pro app.

Both the app and the community have been just amazing...!!!

It was sad the 'Play' years had to happen, but also agree that EI has been bouncing back like I've hardly ever seen a company do. Major KUDOS to EITG, as well as the EI community for seeing it through.

-Steve

halfworld
01-14-2006, 12:59 PM
These are certainly interesting times for CG. EIAS had 3 major updates last year that really put it back on the map, It's time we started shouting about it! :)

Ian

Vizfizz
01-14-2006, 06:55 PM
I know this isn't a public poll, in which we don't see the names of the individual voters, but I'm curious to hear from those who voted "no". I'm totally cool with you expressing your opinion, but I'd like to hear why you voted "no". This kind of feedback would be great to pass on to EI in order to allow them the opportunity to improve their product.

Please...no flame wars.

Thanks!

Brian

JDex
01-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Brian,

I didn't vote, as I'm rather indifferent about the addition of an EI forum, however I will say that there are some reasons not to have one imho.

Firstly, there already is a strong and active forum for EI, where all of it's new and old-hat users go already.

Secondly, there is not a large userbase in professional studios (many small studios and freelancers definitely) but it is not a very prevalent application in the industry at the current time. But that could be said of other apps here, the difference being that many of those don't have the benefit of what I mentioned first.

There are likely other reasons people have voted against it, and maybe they will chime in at some point.

Vizfizz
01-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Jason,

You have some good points there...however, I'd like to address a couple.

First off, you're right. There are a couple of strong EI forums that are already in place. EI's own forum and Post Forum are probably the two of the largest currently available. Its not my intention to detract from these forums or steal their membership, rather I wish to bring EI back into the mainstream. Of all the website/forums that are available to talk about CG related issues, CGTalk is unquestionably the most frequently visited on the internet. EITG could benefit from this additional exposure. It would be silly, in my opinion, to suggest that Maya not have a forum on this board, because it already has a large number of other forum sites dedicated to it, or because it has the lion's share of the film industry. I believe all EI users share the same goal, to see their package of choice succeed and prosper. It only winds up benefiting the user.

You mentioned that EI isn't being used in the larger "professional" market any more... Well, that might be true here in the United States (at least in the film industry), however, the international, broadcast and architectural market bases should be considered.

EI users do have the tendency to stick to themselves because they've suffered the brunt of a lot of unnecessary criticism due to a lot of bad blood during the "Play" years of EI's history. (Amongst other things) No one doubts that was a difficult time, however that time is over. I personally want to challenge EI users to move out of their protected circle and rejoin the community at large. Out of curiosity, how many times have you visited EI's site or the PostForum? Probably not very often because you probably don't have an interest. If I can convince users to post images here on CGtalk and generate interesting dialog, tutorials or product reviews...someone just might take notice in the package. What benefits EI benefits me. New users means more updates, new features, etc...

I personally use 3 different 3D packages. Maya being one of them. But there are still things that EI simply does easier and better. Why limit myself? Each resides in my toolset for a specific reason. Perhaps I've always had a thing for the dark horse or the underdog...but as far as I'm concerned the return of EI is inevitible.

scottfox
01-15-2006, 01:01 AM
I bought EI for thousands of dollars many years ago and it has proved to be worth every penny I spent. Its render SPEED and QUALITY are world class. I personally feel it is the friendliest hi end 3d app to learn. You can debate what one package does vs another all you want but I can easily prove that EI ABSOLUTELY belongs among the top 3d apps on cg talk.

Hopefully we can have an EI forum on CG talk, EI belongs in the mix of apps CG talk has.

Scott

Reuben5150
01-15-2006, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=Vizfizz]

You mentioned that EI isn't being used in the larger "professional" market any more... Well, that might be true here in the United States (at least in the film industry), however, the international, broadcast and architectural market bases should be considered.
QUOTE]

EI has thousands of users worldwide :)

Reuben

AVTPro
01-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Yes, I have been on CGTalk for sometime...and have been using EI for over 10 years.

LET'S REVOLT!!! STORM The CASTLE!!!

SLEEPERS!!! AWAKE!!!

AVTPro
01-15-2006, 09:11 PM
ahem....John...Mr. Knoll. We need your help here. :bounce:

Vizfizz
01-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Definitely....but I want to get more users. ;) Whether they be within the film, print, architectural, or broadcast markets...I don't really care. More users means more benefits for us and it enhances the security of EI's longivity.

Generally though, EI's usage in the LA film community is nearly depleted, esepcially when compared to the 1990s. As I've mentioned before, the LA film community is pretty much dominated by Maya and Softimage. If you want to get a job at R&H, Sony or some other large VFX house, you better be Maya proficient. Occassionally some of the smaller vfx houses will use EI, Lightwave, or Cinema to complete final shots, and quite effectively by the way, but as we've seen in a number of industries it usually gets compressed down to a few final contenders. This goes on until the 3D companies eventually reinvent themselves and offer a new product that reenergizes their sales or a young upstart company barges in on the scene and changes the way things are done. Zbrush is a good example of that. The fact that EI is 16 some odd years old is amazing. Other programs from that era don't even exist any more. However, though it looks the same, its not the same program it was before.

Any company can reinvent themselves. Just take a look at Apple. Ten years ago, I seriously doubted Apple's ability to stay in the game, but now they're quite the juggernaut. What's the difference between then and now? They chose to reinvent themselves. EI possesses this same capability, but it will take determination on the part of the company and its users to stay the course. I think EI has the determination to do so...they've showed it to us by producing 3 major software updates that have included some major advancements in the program's capabilities. Now its our turn as users to show off what it can do. This is why I'm asking for this forum.

Vizfizz
01-16-2006, 01:11 AM
As much as I would like to see John Knoll promote EIAS more actively, he can't. And why would he anyway? The man is set for life.

All ILM employees are prohibited from formally endorsing a specific product. I was under the same contract when I worked there. Its a conflict of interests.

It remains his "secret weapon" for his own projects because he can't say anything more about it without potentially getting in trouble with ILM's legal department. Trust me, they're pretty strict about that kind of stuff.

yhloon
01-16-2006, 09:24 AM
As much as I would like to see John Knoll promote EIAS more actively, he can't. And why would he anyway? The man is set for life.

All ILM employees are prohibited from formally endorsing a specific product. I was under the same contract when I worked there. Its a conflict of interests.

It remains his "secret weapon" for his own projects because he can't say anything more about it without potentially getting in trouble with ILM's legal department. Trust me, they're pretty strict about that kind of stuff.

http://www.postforum.com/forums/read.php?f=9&i=37053&t=37050

nikosrf
01-16-2006, 10:12 AM
:bounce: LONG LIVE EIAS

Martin Kay
01-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Well, I can't talk about animation as I've not done much, (what little I did do was in EIAS and I found it personally more intuitive to use than my current software C4d). Whilst I am a long time user of c4d, since its inception, I do own EIAS through to version 3 Macintosh. Unfortunately I now work almost exclusively on a PC, but do keep a close eye on what EI are doing. EI undoubtedly has a far superior rendering machine than c4d and the shaders, especially the third party stuff leave c4d in the dirt. Its far far easier to get a good look in EI than in c4d. For doing stills you probably can't beat EI.

Reuben5150
01-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Hi Martin, good to see an EI lover from the UK :)

I'm running the current version of EIAS on the PC and have done since v4, have to say it great !, and 6.5 is a million miles away from v4, its so much better i couldn't think of working with v4 again, not thought of an upgrade ?, and the duo dongle allows for Mac-Pc interchange.

Reuben

Nichod
01-16-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm for it. One reason I abandoned EI is lack of community. I wasn't to pleased with the EI forums. And with the 3dtoolkit, there should be a fairly large community. It only costs $99 and is a pretty well rounded app.

WHD
01-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey Brian,

You have my support. Always nice to have another place to see whats going on. I've been an EI user since 1995. It has always been so easy to work in and so fast that while I've looked at other apps to see what might be useful ,and even purchased several others over the years, EI is still my main app for 3D. Like Photoshop is for image editing, there has never been a good reason for me to go elsewhere.

Bill Dempsey

Vizfizz
01-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks Bill..

I have some interesting ideas for this forum. Hopefully I'll be able to get the community to rally a bit. I really don't think the rest of the cg community realizes what EIAS can really do. I'm tired of every other app getting all the press.

Brian

Vizfizz
01-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Do we have your attention yet? :) 91.23% approval.

Working on getting EI to contact you.

Brian Pohl

Vizfizz
01-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Do we have your attention yet? :) 91.23% approval.

Working on getting EI to contact you.

Brian Pohl

Heh heh.. I guess I deserve that. lol Ok.. no more posting percentages..

Brian

velarde
01-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Hello Everybody:

Just wanted to bring this post to everybody's attention.
In case you missed it when it was in the Front Page.... ;)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=298607&page=1&pp=15

Very nice matte painting done by Daniel Rutter.

_________

Also.....

Van Ling and all his people have used EIAS and AfterEffects for all the DVD menus for all the Episodes (I-VI) of the Star Wars saga.
http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/news/2004_star_wars.html

All pieces of art, in themselves (my favorites are the ones from the Empire Strikes Back)....
What better example can you have? , ja :)

good luck all

fjv

Leonard
01-17-2006, 01:29 AM
The ball is rolling. Brian, I have emailed you to follow up.

Best,

Leonard

halfworld
01-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Just to touch on something mentioned by Brian earlier about EIAS users being in stealth mode... I work with 3 other EIAS users and I am the only one who visits the boards.... Time for something fresh to stir up interest!

Ian

Vizfizz
01-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Hey Ian...

Get them to vote!

Brian

vx3
01-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Vote placed. Been using EI for the last 10 years and I don't see myself stopping.
morgan

splitpoint
01-17-2006, 04:45 PM
I t would be nice to have an EI forum here. I jumped on at v5.5 and haven't looked back. Decided not to upgrade C4d and Lightwave this year because I like working in EIAS better.

A.

Vizfizz
01-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks Guys!

That's what I like to see. What kind of work do you guys do with Electric Image?

Brian

vx3
01-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Hey Brian, mostly doing 3D illustration for print these days and I was one of the lead artists on dvgarage's 3Dtoolkit years ago.

morgan

Vizfizz
01-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Morgan...

Saw your site. Incredible stuff. Was all of it rendered with EI?

Brian

vx3
01-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks Brian, I appreciate that coming from you. You've done some great work yourself :)

Yeah, it's all EI except the houses (maya). Even though I've been trying to use Maya more and more, I just end up coming back to EI because it's so fast and easy to get great looking images.

cheers,
morgan

Blur1
01-17-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm still on version 4 and my EI use is in stasis. However I still monitor everything the company does and I would like to see it flourish. I tried out 6.5 briefly but for what I'm doing C4D is currently more suitable/powerful and generally much easier to use. I would upgrade EI in the future if I had more of a budget for 3D tools but last year it all got swallowed up buying Cinema and Bodypaint.

-Michael

Vizfizz
01-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Michael..

That's cool. I understand. I have to cycle upgrades myself. I'm still using an older version of Cinema.

I'm glad to hear that you're still tuned into EI. v6.5 is so much better than v4 its impossible to even consider going back. Hopefully a new forum can help reveal more reasons why you should upgrade soon. Stay tuned to this thread.

Brian

Blur1
01-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Michael..

That's cool. I understand. I have to cycle upgrades myself. I'm still using an older version of Cinema.

I'm glad to hear that you're still tuned into EI. v6.5 is so much better than v4 its impossible to even consider going back. Hopefully a new forum can help reveal more reasons why you should upgrade soon. Stay tuned to this thread.

Brian

Brian, I'm sure 6.5 is a great improvement on 4 if you are in the EI work groove because if you use it constantly, any new features are gravy. But for someone like me who has skirted around 3D and comes from more of a design/comp background, a more modern, integrated app has serious benefits - I can experiment in a more unstructured freeform kind of way, a bit like After Effects...I get good visual feedback and have a more drag and drop interface.
Having said that, if I needed to bang out 4K film renders with decent motion blur I would not be using Cinema unless it was a matte painting. Camera needs to go OpenEXR though....it's where all the fun is.

This is a blunt question and not meant to offend, but do you have some form of equity in EITG?

Vizfizz
01-17-2006, 08:55 PM
LoL.. I was wondering when that question would come up.

No..absolutely not. I have no form of equity in EITG nor do I receive any form of compensation. I'm a simple user who loves using the program. If it wasn't for using EI early on in my career, I probably wouldn't have made it as far as I have. I worked on a project back in my home town in EI that was also being worked on at Reality Check in Hollywood. That got my foot in the door with RC that lead to me doing more work for RC doing sports graphics, which in turn gave me my first previs gig on Behind Enemy Lines.. which got me to Lucasfilm..and then ILM, and so on.. Its the perverbial butterfly effect. If it would have happened with Max or some other 3D program, I probably would have been hooked on to it instead.

There's obviously the need to use other programs for specific reasons. I saw the handwriting on the wall with Maya.. so I learned it too. Its what I do the bulk of my previs work in. But when it comes to EI.. well, it still does somethings so much better. Why drop it? Maybe I'm excessively brand loyal..or maybe I'm just sentimental...I don't know...but buzz words and industry standards have little effect on me. I use the best tool for the specific job. If that happens to be EI, then I use EI. If its Cinema or Maya.. then I use those packages.

Vizfizz
01-17-2006, 09:25 PM
What really kills me is the reactions I get from other artists when I tell them I still use EI. The biggest response from older users is usually "They're still in business?" or for the younger crowd, its "Who?" But then I start showing them what's been going on over at EITG the past couple of years and then reaction turns from "eh" to "hmm.. that's kinda cool". Our industry loves the cutting edge. If its not the latest and greatest then it mustn't be any good. Why use it? Simple...because EI works.

It may also be that certain programs mesh better with people's workflow. I open Lightwave and its just not as clear to me. LW is a great package..but its not for me. Would I tell someone not to use LW? Nope. My goal for this potential forum isn't to start a slugfest with other users that EI is better or they should switch....but I would like to show people that EI is a potential contender again. Its not in my best interest to bad mouth any software package (because I use several)...but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want EI to succeed.

Brian

SteveW928
01-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Hi Brian,

I would add that people also don't typically pick software because it is the best, or best for them. We just don't have time to try out everything in any kind of serious manner, and then pick the best. We usually look at what other people are using, and then go in that direction.

I'm not saying that I'm positive EI is the best... as I certainly have not had the time to 'try them all' in depth. Who has? But, by showing people some of the stuff that has been done in EI, and getting it 'out there' to be known is a powerful thing.

What originally sold me on EI were two things:

1) I looked at the impressive volume of work the EI community was producing. The majority of it was great stuff. Even the stuff done by folks just starting out, where the tweaking talent and artistic were maybe not so developed... the work still had a very good look to it. When I looked at many other packages, there were a few really good artists producing excellent results, but the more 'average' users stuff didn't have the quality level I saw in EI.

2) When I tried the EI demo... I was able to actually produce some results very quickly. I'm not sure if I can chalk that up to good UI design, excellent default settings, or if it just suited me better. I'm willing to say this is an objective one, and encourage everyone to try out the packages they like... see what fits.

But, if the 2 things above are not even really known, then no one is going to do either. So, I think Brian is right... EI needs some exposure. Everyone still might not pick it and decide it is the best thing going... but at least they will hopefully take a look at it. I also often get the 'who' or 'what' when I tell people I use EI. It is not so much a matter of people picking other apps because they have found them better than EI, but that they didn't even know EI was an option.

Let's face it... the most popular things are often not the best things. People buy based on what others have done... and 'others' haven't always made the most sound decisions.

-Steve

bronco
01-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Vote placed.

Great idea to pull EIAS out of its hinding place.
It's still a great tool and with the help of some 3rd party plugins and shaders capable enough to stay competive.

uwe

Blur1
01-17-2006, 11:41 PM
LoL.. I was wondering when that question would come up.

No..absolutely not. I have no form of equity in EITG nor do I receive any form of compensation. I'm a simple user who loves using the program. If it wasn't for using EI early on in my career, I probably wouldn't have made it as far as I have.

Just curious.
:p

Vizfizz
01-18-2006, 06:22 AM
Matt Hoffman has informed me that EITG is definitely ok with the idea of having a forum on CG Talk. :) Leonard Teo is also in favor of an EI forum.. so... once the two of them confirm, we should be seeing a new forum emerge rather quickly.

Stay tuned...my head is already boiling over with ideas.

Brian

Vizfizz
01-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Leonard Teo emailed me. The forum is a go. Expect its arrival in a couple of days.

Brian

vx3
01-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Very cool. Thanks for making it happen Brian.

morgan

yhloon
01-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the effort, Brian!
what else can we said... cheers!
:beer:

halfworld
01-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Excellent! Good man Brian!

SteveW928
01-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Whoo hoo! :bounce: (sorry... couldn't resist)

Thanks Brian and Leonard!

-Steve

HAWK999
01-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Good stuff

thanks Brian

SteveW928
01-19-2006, 10:38 AM
I noticed that in the pull-down in the gallery submission area, that ElectricImage is not one of the choices for software used. (Maybe this is used in other areas of the forums too?) It would be nice to have that added.

Thanks much,

-Steve

Vizfizz
01-19-2006, 04:40 PM
I'll look into that. Leonard is currently traveling and plans to open up the forum by the weekend. (Hopefully) I'm still a little new to CGTalk, so I'll look at whats available.

Brian

mike33
01-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks Brian,

I won't be using EIAS 5.5/EI Modeler 5 to much this year, but really hoping I can pull it together and start doing some consistant EIAS work in 2007. I'm almost done with a script for a short animated film and hope to finish all developement work by years end. It's all part time work after the day job and family time. With my first child due Jan 31st I suspect I won't be around to often, but good luck with this endeavor.

Cheers,

Mike
Engineer by day
Family man by night (and weekends)
Dabbling artist inbetween

splitpoint
01-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks Guys!

That's what I like to see. What kind of work do you guys do with Electric Image?

Brian

Product viz and fine art on the side. I work with ImageModeler a lot. I like EI because the interface is straightforward and it allows me to get great looking results with a minimum of render time. It's not the bulk of my business but I plan to add some examples to my gallery in 2006.

Al

Vizfizz
01-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks Brian,

I won't be using EIAS 5.5/EI Modeler 5 to much this year, but really hoping I can pull it together and start doing some consistant EIAS work in 2007. I'm almost done with a script for a short animated film and hope to finish all developement work by years end. It's all part time work after the day job and family time. With my first child due Jan 31st I suspect I won't be around to often, but good luck with this endeavor.

Sounds like you have quite a bit to keep you busy. What kind of development work do you do? When or if you upgrade to 6.5, you'll be pretty happy with the new OpenGL performance. Do you plan to do the short in EI or in conjunction with another package. Berry Berman has some great scripts for integrating EI with Maya.

Brian

Vizfizz
01-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Product viz and fine art on the side. I work with ImageModeler a lot. I like EI because the interface is straightforward and it allows me to get great looking results with a minimum of render time. It's not the bulk of my business but I plan to add some examples to my gallery in 2006.

Al

Interesting stuff. I've never used Imagemodeler before. Modeling paradigm reminds me of Sketchup.

I agree with you. EITG gets some flak for the non Aqua interface of EI, but you know, I like it too. I just seems logical and simple. Getting away from the 4 individual modeling windows to a single window containing 4 panes would be nice. I "hear" it would help increase OpenGL performance, but I'm not a programmer so don't quote me on that. :) One nice advancement as of late is an upgrade to the shader API. It now allows for more interactive controls instead of things being so numeric. Hopefully the 3rd party companies will start taking advantage of this.

Brian

Reuben5150
01-19-2006, 11:42 PM
One nice advancement as of late is an upgrade to the shader API. It now allows for more interactive controls instead of things being so numeric. Hopefully the 3rd party companies will start taking advantage of this.

Brian

Actually as it stands the API allows for plugin and shader interfaces to be kept open while still working in the main app, but it also means that all the current plugs n shaders would have to be re-coded for this to work, i would expect to see this "feature" in some future plugins.

Reuben

Leonard
01-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Hey folks, it's here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=186

JDex
01-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Hey congrats to the EI userbase. May it serve you well.

Vizfizz
01-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks to everyone who supported this effort! I truly appreciate it!

Brian

splitpoint
01-21-2006, 01:57 AM
Interesting stuff. I've never used Imagemodeler before. Modeling paradigm reminds me of Sketchup.

I'll be the first one to say that working with IM is pretty nasty. I will add that the most recent version has solved a lot of problems with stability.

As far as photogrammetry goes IM is pretty much the only game in town on the Mac platform. Good for making measurements, acceptable modeling if you're comfortable with box-modeling, does a pretty good job of solving for camera locations and lenses. If it had any competitors I'd be checking 'em out.

Al

mike33
01-21-2006, 04:15 AM
Sounds like you have quite a bit to keep you busy. What kind of development work do you do? When or if you upgrade to 6.5, you'll be pretty happy with the new OpenGL performance. Do you plan to do the short in EI or in conjunction with another package. Berry Berman has some great scripts for integrating EI with Maya.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Most of my recent art has been human figure studies using low fire clay, and some studies with high fire clay and sculpy. I've also tried to be more consistant with my moleskin sketchbooks. Unfortunately the nonprofit Art studio I was doing most of my work at closed last year due to the lack of funds. My development work will be concept/character design, marquette studies, and eventually 3d modeling in EI Modeler.

I only plan on using EIAS and EI modeler at this time. It's what I own and probably won't have the cash to get into Maya. My trusty G4/400 is starting to feel old and I Imagine a new machine will be needed once it comes time to render, so that will be the priority.

~Mike

Vizfizz
01-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Mike..

Let me know if you need any help. Macs are my specialty. If anything, a mac mini could be a great stop gap machine for you until the new Mactels come out. Their reasonably inexpensive, powerful enough for your purposes, and just darn right convient.

Brian

vislaw
02-01-2006, 01:31 AM
We rely heavily on EIAS for a number of our projects. In fact, I don't think we could meet some deadlines without it. I am looking forward very much to having an EIAS forum here. THANKS for listening to the users.

Mark Johnson

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2006, 01:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.