PDA

View Full Version : connecting ik spline cv to locator

arquebus
01-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Im using an ik spline for the spine of a human model I made and I want to connect the top cv of that ik spline to a locator so I can easily move it. So I selected the cv in component mode and then selected the locator in the hypergraph because I cant select these things at the same time in differrent modes. But when I tried to connect them by parenting, it didnt work. How can I constrain these to eachother?

Craiger
01-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Cluster the cv.

Load the locator into the connection editor windown on the left side. Load the cluster into the right side of hte connection editor.

Connect the translates of the locator to the cluster.

Group the locator to itself. Parent Constrain that group to an intelligent part of your rig.

The locator will follow the rig, but wont update the cluster until you actually translate the locator around.

Leave the cluster sitting back at the origin, but put it in a group and turn off its visibility to be clean.

werd up.

arquebus
01-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks, thats a big help.

Craiger
01-13-2006, 07:28 PM
no probs. Glad I could have been of some help.

Me109
01-17-2006, 12:50 PM
You could also reveal the 'shapes' in the outliner, select the shape node of the spline
which in turn inside your connection editor will reveal you CP's or Control points, which with your Locator loaded on the LHS will allow you to connect to the CP of the spline.
The top of the spline is usually the last CP in the list
Usually you should snap your locator to the position of the spline CV before you connect else the CV will snap to where your locator is

anyhow using clusters is probably easier.. and offers blending between multiple CV's

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.