PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation Reel 2006

DarkSun
01-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Hey All,

I've edited my 2006 reel and uploaded. Looking for some suggestions. C&C are most welcomed :)

www.arslanelver.com/WIP/Arslan_Elver_Reel_2006.zip (http://www.arslanelver.com/WIP/Arslan_Elver_Reel_2006.zip) 19MB zipped Mpeg-1.

Apart from the last job I did for a turkish feature film, it's all there...

Thanks in advance...

The Funimator
01-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Super Duper !!! Excellent !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I really enjoy watching ur reel. Your animation is Greeeaaattt !!! :applause::applause::applause:

DarkSun
01-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks The Funimator :bounce:

Esteviezer
01-13-2006, 11:38 PM
DarkSun, your animation is realy extraordinary.

You've got some first class shots in there... keep it up!

ragdoll
01-14-2006, 12:29 AM
very cool!!! :thumbsup:

DarkSun
01-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Esteviezer and ragdoll, thanks a lot guys :)

Bleen
01-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Amazing reel. You really seem to have a lot of experience. Many different styles there, very varied, great animation. Congratulations on an excellent reel :thumbsup:

DarkSun
01-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Hey Bleen, thanks. I hope I will be adding more acting animations in new year...

morphius-ms
01-16-2006, 04:58 PM
It's a good reel... I liked it alot... I especially liked the character with the purple tie. Keep up the good work.

There is only one particular part that I noticed a problem on and this was only after watching it a couple of times... it i very subtle but it also could be rerendered if you still have the original file... in the scene where the orange guy is dodging the primitives and then gets crushed by one... there is a point where he stumbles off the screen and then the camera shakes suggesting that the character was hit by a large primitive.. then the camera moves over to show him under the primative....

You may need to rethink the lighting on that one because there is a corner of the shadow that shows when he stumbles off screen (and considering how close to the edge of the camera the actual object is... you would see the shadow of the block as it falls...) now my suggestion to you is so you don't have to re animate anything I suggest that you change the lighting so that the shadows are pointing another way that way you can still have that and it won't mess up the animation...

just my thought... didn't mean to make it long...

lostPin
01-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Excellent, awesome, and all the other superlatives;)!!!

Milho
01-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Nice work!

I loved the toilet thing as much as the rocks from above. The heart is cool too (nice Shading btw). Thanks for sharing.

Keep it up :beer:

Vashner
01-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Cool work. Looks sweet.

rvallet
01-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Great reel.

I especially like the little stick man. I also thoroughly enjoyed the walk cycle. Beautiful little hang time with the foot doing a little rotation before the landing.

I was wondering: how many people worked on the first shot that is marked as shared? (the battle scene with all the robots)

DarkSun
01-17-2006, 01:58 PM
http://www.gnacco.it/morphius_ms; Thanks a lot for your comments. I like that guy's animatons too :) I dont have a chance of rendering again. Maybe I can try to fix this in post.
chikos; Thanks, blushed :bounce:

Milho; Thank you. The heart animation is rendered by my good friend Anil Duran in mental ray.

Vashner; Cheers...

rvallet; Thanks a lot for the good words. The stick man was a commercial project and was fun to animate somethng looking 2d. That robots sequence has been shared with my good friend Marco Carpagnano ( his site is; http://www.gnacco.it/ ). The very front left robot which is looking left and right is animated by him. The rest of the robots are animated by me...

Ranimate
01-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Dude, you got some really nice stuff in there, it shows your animation capabilities, Impressive!
Only thing I noticed is that your recoveries of motion sometimes tend to go abit too much and it makes your animation seem too bouncy at times, like a rubber or cloth-ish.
But then again, it could also be my opinion only.

It is a good and fun reel, good luck!

Ranimate

DarkSun
01-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Hello Ranimate, thanks for the good words and you have a good point. This is something I should be more careful, thanks :)

SheepFactory
01-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Awesome reel Arslan!

I like the acting pieces a lot , I feel like you can leave out the Ankara Sigorta and the guy playing guitar on the beach pieces out though , the rest of the reel is of much higher quality.

*plugged

onuryeldan
01-18-2006, 11:52 PM
This is great Arslan , high quality works from you as always ;)

Loulu79
01-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Excellently done. Animations ... allllllllllll....of them...simple and complex...had fire in them.

Well done well done...congrats!

The only crit (ie two cents) I can give to help you step up one more notch...is when the face rig for "Breakfast...lunch and dinner" dialogue...wasn't precise. He didn't word the words properly. But the animation itself is swell.:thumbsup:

RockinAkin
01-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Awesome animation reel - one of the best I've seen in recent memory.
Good Luck with your job hunt - it shouldn't be too difficult to find work with a reel like that! :thumbsup:

3dcga
01-19-2006, 04:16 AM
Great reel :bowdown:

Love the "superhero" acting scene :D

DimitrisLiatsos
01-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Very cool animation , the only that a bit spoils your presentation is the part from that spot with your guy and real actors. Cool stuff, pm me man a contact phone . Maybe some guys would be very intrested here in Athens (since u are so close also and can travel here if needed)...

Congrats.

A. Wright
01-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Thats really impressive work man, I really like it.

elnady
01-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Nice reel Arslan

and funny:)

Amaan
01-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Arslan. it's your 'uncle' ;) and the rest of your 'family' says hello too!

congratulations dude. keep rocking

DarkSun
01-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Ali; Thanks a lot man :bounce:

Onur; Hey pal, thanks for the good words ;)

Loulu79; Thanks. And you had a good point. I don't know if I will go back that animation, it is old but still in good shape and I add that one to show I can do facial animation. Because there is not much facial anims in my reel :)

DivideByZero; Blushed here. About finding a job is a very interesting journey. It's really related to right timing and place. I didn't believe in that before that much but now, I know it is very true :)

3dcga; Cheers. I really wanna focus on acting and add more acting shots.

DimitrisLiatsos; Hello neighbour :) I am not sure about that spot too. My intention was showing that I am working on professional commercials but I shouldn't forget that only best pieces should be in :) I will send you a pm asap...

A. Wright and Ahmed Hosny; Thanks a lot :)

Amaan; UNCLEEEEEE! How are you? Great to hear from you on the forum. Thanks for the good words and say hi to all :bounce:

akewt
01-19-2006, 11:50 AM
FATHER!

how are you dude? I'm just downloading your new reel, hope theres some new trit bits in there. talk soon ;)

and i forgot to say. VERY WELL DONE MAKING FRONT PAGE!

Tasimasu
01-19-2006, 11:58 AM
nice reel you did well :thumbsup:
ı m pleased to see your animation in banner. ı wish you good luck in the future...
nazar degmesin masallah :wise:
( birtek golfettin showreelin akışını bozuyor gibi geldi yeriyle oyanama yapılabilinir )

3dcga
01-19-2006, 12:39 PM
I think I first saw your rock lifting animation almost 3 years back :p That was pretty good by itself. Inspiring stuff man :) Look forward to see more acting pieces from you :D

Digital-Miss
01-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Very nice stuff. Five stars :thumbsup:

mathieu77
01-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Like your reel. I am as well based in turkey. Did not me anybody yet in the turkish 3d world.
Mathieu

sgbox
01-19-2006, 02:16 PM
my dear friend Aslan, its nice to sea your reel in cgtalk, especially it looks great on the banner. i wish you good luck

Rodi
01-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Heey Arslan,

I didnt realise the reel was yours until i started to watch it, haha,
Top notch stuff man!!

rafaelrubio
01-19-2006, 03:27 PM
wow friend! this is a awesome reel! one of better i'd never seen! wonderful animation level! 5 stars from me for your reel! :bounce:

bitBrain
01-19-2006, 04:14 PM
3 kb/s download speed... :'( sniffle

any mirrors?

Tughan
01-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Arslan! Man, you know that I always find your animations very inspiring. You got your style, a skill that should developed by animator who wants to be a great one. You're there man, and you're only going to be greater! :bounce: Kick-ass works.

Congratulations my friend.:applause:

AlbertArt
01-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Wonderful Animation! Well done and quite impressive! Nice work! :applause:

bitBrain
01-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Masterful lighting! What renderer and lighting are you using?

Liked all the animations except there was some of the lip syncing that wasn't perfectly convincing, for example the quote from Blues Brothers.

LOVED the penguin, but that's because I love the Antarctic ... at a distance ... ;)

edimunster
01-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Cool Motions dude!!.. Awesome secondary motions!!...

awesome work!!

DarkSun
01-19-2006, 07:34 PM
akewt; SON!!! It's been a while, hope you are doing well :) Thanks for good words :D

Tasimasu; Tesekkurler :)

3dcga; Hey that's very true. It's been 3 years I finished Rock&TheBird. Waow, I am getting old ehhe :p Yeah hopefully wanna focus even more on acting...

Digital_Miss; Cheers...

mathieu77; Thanks. Where are you in Turkiye?

sgbox; Man, thanks a lot for good words and wishes...

Rodi; Man, this put a big smile on my face :) thanks a lot dude...

Rafalon; Thanks, I'm really blushed...

Tughan; My good friend, it's great to hear from you. I really thank you for the good words. I feel like I'm just starting to learn animation and we animators will never stop learning and improving our skills and approaches in animation. Btw looking forward to watching your next short-film :)

AlbertArt; Thank you :)

bitBrain; Thanks man. I only did the animations. Renders are handled by other guys but some of them is mental ray for Maya, some of them Renderman for Maya. And some of them are Lightwave renders. Penguins was a fun little tv spot I also served as a storyboard artist. And yeah antartica is great from a reasonable distance :)

smokies
01-20-2006, 12:12 AM
HEY DUDE!!

nice stuff Arslan! :)

Milho
01-20-2006, 01:44 AM
Congrats on the frontpage.

A turkish friend told me that these are very popular commercials, so you must be quite a known person in the turkish cg industry I guess :thumbsup:

Selpakius
01-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Hey Arslan,
Congratulations! Very well done !
I hope to see more soon :) maybe in a second short?

Tebrikler, gurur duyuyorum bizden iyi sanatcilar cikinca ortaya:)

Best,

Serkan

APD-Jack
01-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Hi Arslan, :)
Congratulations maan!! I really like your reel. And it surprise me to see that you made the Ankara Sigorta Commercial. :eek: I liked the animation of that commercial but didn't know who's animator.. So it's you huh? :thumbsup:
And seeing Toto sequences in someone's reel make me happy and proud.:rolleyes:
Anyway, keep good working maan. :)

TANGOMAN
01-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Wow! Front Page man ! You did it ,like I said in the other forum awesome work:)

::Offtopic::
And by the way:I love Turkish food and the Turkish Delights is the best sweets I try man, your a lucky man :D ..but I´m lucky too to go this year to Bodrum for holidays..Yehaa!:bounce:

Güle güle !

naik
01-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Holy damn moley...i like dat...

NAIK

wtoddk
01-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Fantastic work Arslan!! Congrats on a great reel...

anilduran
01-20-2006, 02:34 PM
congrulations my bro...:bowdown:

mgard
01-20-2006, 04:16 PM
the link is dead...i can't wait...please someone.........

DarkSun
01-20-2006, 06:46 PM
smokies; Thanks...

Milho; Cheers :) Turkish cg industry is not too big, almost all the cg artist know each other...

serkan; Thanks man:) You know I couldn't do anything related to a new short-film last year but I really have some hope for 2006... Cok sagol...

APD_Jack; Thanks. Ankara Insurance was a fun project which I also worked as storyboard artist. I really enjoy that! Toto shots are shared shots. For those shots I only animated the elephant and the green photo camera.
TANGOMAN; John! Thanks a lot man :) Hey you said very true! I love turkish food is great! It has a lot of different variations and you will enjoy all of them hehe. And those dessertsssssss! Hmmm yummy! :D I have 2 questions for you. How did you learn turkish and what date you will be in bodrum? Because we can meet there :D

naik; Cheers...

skyboysky; Thanks...

anilduran; My good old friend! Long time no see! Hope you are doing well and thanks for the good words...

mgard; I'm sorry for the inconvience. I don't know why that happened but the link is working now...

mathieu77
01-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Arslan, istanbuldayım. Sende mi? Lets hang out sometimes.

Mathieu

Tughan
01-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Did somebody said Bodrum? ;)

PyThOoN
01-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Great work! congrulations Arslan! Tek kelime ile mutesem, ne diyim :) Bravo

DarkSun
01-22-2006, 09:26 AM
mathieu77; Yeah I am in Istanbul too. Send me an email ;)

Tughan; :)

PyThOoN; Cheers man :) Sagolasin...

hesido
01-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Killer stuff. Health to your hands ;) (as we say in Tr)

emrahelmasli
01-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Good stuff bro. Keep it up. (Ellerine sağlık)

g45Ch
01-22-2006, 06:02 PM
love your animations, but please DO NOT use "ms comic sans"

3tehakanyuksel
01-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Good job,

I liked the stick boy..
We are waiting for new ones.... :)

Soeren Nielsen
01-23-2006, 02:25 AM
HEY Arslan :D how are you doing man?

Nice reel looks like you have been busy.

Get your ass back to UK soon, atleast to play a bit of pool. Miss trying to break your concentration while you are playing :P

Cheers!

andy_maxman
01-23-2006, 03:47 AM
hey arslan,
my eyes went dry waiting to see some great stuff like this....

hehe..some of the animations are really funny....i went to and fro to the super hero clip...that is huge man...its awesome...love the animation...you really got and nailed down the overlapping principle....its so damn smooth...love the little nudge he gives to the guy and wow! that whacking is got superb timing....

thanks for making my day!
cheers!
-anand

DarkSun
01-23-2006, 10:04 PM
hesido; Thanks :)

Atmospheria; Cheers Emrah. Eyvallah :)

g45Ch; Hmm I might change that...

3tehakanyuksel; Thanks a lot Hakan :)

Soeren Nielsen; Cheers man. How is it going? yeah, I missed playing pool. I haven't played for a while. I guess I got a bit rusty but I believe I still can beat you :)

andy_maxman; Thanks a lot man, blushed. I believe the superhero piece could be better but glad you liked it :)

Soeren Nielsen
01-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Hehe Big words.. big words, I guess we will have to take it to the test.What do you say. 1 beer pr. game? . Now you just need to be back here.

Im doing great apart from being torn to pieces by a dentist recently everything is good :)

MarchHare
01-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Cuuuuuuuuush!

This is wicked dood, congrats on making front page man! As always, very nice work. Ignore Soeren, come here to Canada for a visit instead! I'm sure Ben would be glad to see ya!

Kev

akewt
01-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Forget them Arslan. Come to sunny cambridge!

Soeren Nielsen
01-25-2006, 12:57 AM
kew, its sunny here as well but cold :(
Hows life at ninja theory?? :)

Spady
01-25-2006, 01:46 AM
Don't listen to them Arslan, those evil brits and canadians are trying to lure you into their depressingly cold and rainy country. Come see me in Australia instead :D

Anyway, that's a great reel you have here, however, there's a few shots that let you down but I already told you about that ;)

Cheers!

akewt
01-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Hey Panya!

Life in cambridge is good. But rainy! :( (i lied about the sunny part)

DarkSun
01-25-2006, 09:31 AM
ahhahahahaahhahahaahahahhahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahah !
You guys seriously made me laugh and that was a great start to a new day :D
I all missed you guys :)

Soeren Nielsen: Dude, be careful with dentists :) and keep practicing, cause I started to :)

MarchHare: Kevin! Thanks a lot for good words my friend. You know what? Istanbul is under the influence of a strong snow blizzard! Everywhere is white and I don't wanna work just go outside and play snowballs but the temperature is -5C or something hehe, I know it is not even close to Edmonton but still very cold :D I wanna pay a visit to Canada too but I really should find a cheap ticket. I'd love to see you guys :) Hope you are doing well my friend :)

akewt: You were saying it was sunny :D

Spady; Panya, you don't have a chance man! It is too far away lol :) Why don't you come to Europe and we can all meet there? :D

Blusoul
01-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey Arslan, Great reel! You have some really nice anims on there! Keep up the cool work.

Soeren Nielsen
01-26-2006, 10:57 PM
LOL its the invasion of crazy guys here. Kev Chu I didnt see you there, how is canada treating you?

Arslan, man that dentist was mean to me :(
Im practicing almost every day, we still dont have the pool table back at work, but there is a pool table at the pub.. Expensive in the long run, but you get to look at the uhm.. "architecture" ? :P

Good to hear akewt, been invading any bars lately ? I still remember that one time at Ha-Ha bar hehe.

Panya, Australia is just hot, and who wants to get lost in the outback.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 10:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.